Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

Not much happening. Continuing to heal and get the knee up to par. Went for a short 7 mile bike ride yesterday enjoying the wonderful weather spell we are having in Minnesota. Nice and dry and quite mild temps with lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s. Man, it could stay like this all summer!

Still do not have the endurance back. Played golf Friday and even with riding in a power cart, I began losing steam around 13. Oh well, it'll come. I am only 4-1/2 weeks from surgery!

Blessed Lord's Day to all! Steve J

Last edited:
Good morning from very wet So. Central Wisconsin. It basically rained all day yesterday and more of the same today. 54f degrees heading to hopefully 70. Severe thunder storms around noon.

Watched the Oilers/Avalanche hockey last night. Lousy goaltending by the Oilers cost them another game.

I am working on details for the buildings in the paper mill. Mainly vents, downspouts and light boxes. More of the same today

Well, howdy there cafe-dwellers

It's sleepy Troy again.

63° in The Fort today (NE Indiana) Highs in the mid 70s

I'm wondering what the wife is going to cook in her new air-fryer today. As long as I get pizza tonight, I'll be good with whatever. I sense I may be grilling burgers for lunch, and she does french fries just to try it out.

Took a Melatonin last night (half of a 5mg). I stayed sleepy most of the night. Wake up, roll over back to sleep... forced myself to get up at 7am. Bed was 10pm. I'm still yawning.

Since I got up so late, I decided today was an intermittent fasting day. Black coffee - shoutout to whoever kept suggesting monkfruit sweetener. It helps take the bitter edge off of black coffee. I normally use honey, but that technically breaks a fast.

Added a bit of MCT oil to the coffee. Need to get the brain active. Theoretically, that breaks a fast too, but is doesn't need the liver to digest... we'll see how that goes. Doc appointment in just over a month. I need to drop another 10 pounds.

That's it for now. Need to get some words worded once the coffee juice turns the brain back on.

Good Morning All. Right now it's partly cloudy, humid and 69°, headed for 92° later on. Looks like Mother Nature is ready for summer here, with highs in the mid to upper 90's for the next ten days. Lows in the mid-70's and no rain in the forecast at all.

Dropped my wife off at the airport yesterday, hopefully at the right terminal. She usually flies Southwest out of Love Field which is simple and easy, but this trip was on American out of DFW International where American has over 100 gates spread over five different terminals. DFW International itself is larger in area than the entire island of Manhattan. Easy to get lost! So it's just me and the granddog for about a week. Last night I made myself a grilled medium rare rib-eye steak, mushrooms sauteed in a butter/red wine sauce, home-grown broccoli and Arby's frozen curly fries. Granddog got burnt dog food pellets and some trimmed fat from the steak.

Later in the day, I had an unexpected visitor about 20 yards from the train shed entrance.
IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

While there are white-tail deer in the neighborhood, they don't usually come this close. This may not be unusual for some of you northerners. This one looked to be about 120 lbs.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on yesterday's house pictures.

I only spent a little time out in the train shed yesterday. Airport trip, pool and garden maintenance, and mowing occupied much of my time. What time I did spend was doing a couple of switching turns which is always enjoyable.
Here are a few more pictures of homes in Vernon. First is Aunt Lucy's house, a Walther's kit of the same name.
IMG_7354.JPG

Here is the Johnson's home. I think that this is also a Walther's kit. Swing set is scratch-built.
09-03-20 005.001.JPG

And then there is Tommy's tree house. An older Woodland Scenics white metal kit.
IMG_6252.JPG

Guy - I don't particularly like Walther's kits either, horrible instructions/diagrams, larger parts are prone to warping and the sprue attachment points are not well thought out. However, they are about the only industry type kits that are railroad-sized, so they are a necessary evil. There are only so many PikeStuff kits or kitbashes that one can have before everything looks the same.
Terry - So many places now just assume that everyone has a cell phone. Mine is for outgoing calls primarily; I do not text.
OB Ken - Normally I water my garden just once a week even during the hottest driest part of summer. My soil holds moisture well because I mix in tons of wood chips (free from the tree trimming contractor) and grass clippings from my yard.
Tom - I think that many of us can sympathize with you on the aging parents. Best wishes on that. Keeping up with the yard, I can definitely relate to that.
Troy - Good looking Zucchini. I only planted Yellow Squash this year. We have been using that monkfruit sweetener for a few years now. Wife loves it. I never used much sugar except for cooking or other meal prep myself.
Joe - My wife has been kidding me for years because I go to bed while it is still daylight outside during part of the year.

Everyone have an awesome day.

Good Morning!

This is the first time I've slept-in past 7:00am for as long as I can remember. Usually rise at 6am. Sorta feel like I've cheated myself out of some daylight.

Willie - I believe it's a thrill to see deer come close, if they are not all that common place. Around here though, the Muley's are as common and tame as grazing cattle:
MuleDeer_05-22-2022 (2).JPG

They're not to exited about running from me and my leashed dog anymore. I think they recognize us on sight.

Since I'm late with life today, I'm just going to have coffee and then get on with something. Need to play catch-up now!

See ya'll another day. Have a good one!

Good morning friends. Sunny and 73 on the way to 85 on the day.

Had a great visit with our oldest granddaughter and her fiance last evening. We ate at a place my wife and I had never been to. Excellent food and service. Definitely going back sometime. After leaving them, went to the Lowe's I used to work at and bought a few things for the patio area in the back yard. Got to visit with several of my former co-workers too. Really great seeing them and hearing them ask me to come back LOL My former supervisor took off his vest and (jokingly) tried to hand it to me to put on. I laughed and declined to take it 😂I really enjoyed the visit and will admit I miss everyone and the type of work I did there, but I absolutely do NOT miss working for that company.

Been working on data recovery for someone here at home. His hard drive failed and he lost his vacation photos. I've had a little success getting into the drive but haven't been able to resurrect the vacation photos yet. It's good to still have my digital forensic skills for times like this. Hoping I can get his photos back for him.

Talking about flat tires and such: I live alongside a gravel road and our township road crew routinely come along on a tractor pulling a huge rake and rakes the road. This of course drags up all kinds of stuff that is safely down under the gravel and brings it up top for my tires to hit and get flattened by. We are always having to go get tire repairs. Really wish they would blacktop our road but I doubt our little road is deemed important enough for that.

Hope you all have a great day!

Morning all,

Overnight storms took out one of the water towers (electronic control systems) and part of my interconnected network. While I have most of it back online, we still have one system down due to a dead ethernet port. Only one assigned in the Switch for that subnet. So I'm currently waiting for a vendor to get online with me to reassign one of the other ports.

Celebrated the youngest granddaughters birthday yesterday and all are well. put a bid on an auction lot online I'm going to lose, but nit stuff I need, but would be nice to have.

BBL

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then spent several hours doing ground cover-fun times, but it has to be done.

Tom- I understand about dealing with an ageing parent. That will be a nice loco. You have a beautiful yard.

Smudge- Interesting info on "OO".

Dave- Nice layout shot.

Karl- Nice picture of the grandkids and granddog.

Steve- Don't try to overdo it, give it time. I know it's easier said than done.

Terry- That's about how it feels.

Guy- Nice wildlife.

Troy- I consider them Canadian terrorists! :D

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, all! Hep, another hot one. forecasting triple digits by week's end. Not a lot going on here in H-town. Mowed yesterday while it was somewhat overcast. Today, a blazing sun and nary a breeze.

Got some work done on the last of the 3 buildings I ordered. The Yard Office. It has the dreaded stairs. This kit however has a wooden stringer for the stairs, while the fire house stringer was cardboard, flimsy cardboard at that. So the treads are glued and tomorrow or the next day I should complete it.

1654465005633.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

I'd start taking pictures and sending the developer the tyre bills, ask them to pay for it, why should you ?
Well, howdy there cafe-dwellers

It's sleepy Troy again.

63° in The Fort today (NE Indiana) Highs in the mid 70s

I'm wondering what the wife is going to cook in her new air-fryer today. As long as I get pizza tonight, I'll be good with whatever. I sense I may be grilling burgers for lunch, and she does french fries just to try it out.

Took a Melatonin last night (half of a 5mg). I stayed sleepy most of the night. Wake up, roll over back to sleep... forced myself to get up at 7am. Bed was 10pm. I'm still yawning.

Since I got up so late, I decided today was an intermittent fasting day. Black coffee - shoutout to whoever kept suggesting monkfruit sweetener. It helps take the bitter edge off of black coffee. I normally use honey, but that technically breaks a fast.

Added a bit of MCT oil to the coffee. Need to get the brain active. Theoretically, that breaks a fast too, but is doesn't need the liver to digest... we'll see how that goes. Doc appointment in just over a month. I need to drop another 10 pounds.

That's it for now. Need to get some words worded once the coffee juice turns the brain back on.
I can recommend belly pork cut in cubes in the air fryer…yes fat builds up, but common belly pork fried….better than any bought crackling.

THe RV seems like a constant mechanical issue and money drain...like swimming pools and boats.
CURT - Interesting observation... The only mechanical device that I have owned that has, or did, not give me trouble was my airplane. I treated it with the upmost respect flying in and out of Silverton, Co (commuting to ABQ 2-3 times a month) and it respected me!

What a shame that Standard Metals buried the landing strip under several hundred feet of mine tailings a few years after I left.

Joe - My wife has been kidding me for years because I go to bed while it is still daylight outside during part of the year.
Just yesterday, my son was bragging that the local deer did not venture on to his subdivision, This morning, at breakfast, my wife observed two adult white tails walking through the back, just past the neighbor's fence....so much for not venturing into his yard.

Much warmer today, went up to 71° with less wind. The science fair went well, the little people placed second within their group. Dinner was Bar-b-cued kabobs and corn. Delicious!.

Driving home tomorrow, after the grand kids leave for school. Hopefully 6 hours including a pit stop,

Hopefully, the landscaper cut the lawn Friday, after we left....or at least that it's cut before we return home. Otherwise, I will have to cut it once we get home, then deal with the vendor...

NY Rangers lost to Tampa By Lightning ...Colorado is running away with their series over Edmonton. Goaltending is everything! In Baseball,...Orioles lost....they were playing 500 ball until Louis praised them....Mets split the series with the Bums, in LA. Of course, the Yankees won again....Baseball is interesting again.

Interesting new book out, blaming Jack Welsh of GE for many of our current economic woes, worth a read, with an open mind. My image of him is tarnished by how GE fell apart so quickly, after he left. But for many years, he was the "Man".

Willie- but does DFW Intl have as many peeple as Manhattan? 😂😂 When we were at Penn Station on our honeymoon(to go visit aunt & uncle on the Upper West Side), that was MOH’s “we’re not in Wisconsin anymore”. I don’t fly anymore. With my balance issues, I can’t do the TSA 360° scan. My next long trip will be via the train.

Good morning all! 62 degrees on the way to 84 with rain and thunderstorms. Wish we could get a nice, soft rain to help the garden instead of strong thunderstorms but I guess we get what we get. Nothing much to report today. Remembering those who were part of the Normandy invasion back in 1944. Can't imagine how awful that day was for them, yet they rose to the occasion and we are beyond fortunate for their having done it. Hope you all have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back