Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the record, I like and respect the Queen. Her siblings are crap, but, the Queen is cool. She's a veteran of WWII, just so you know. Probably as far away from flying bullets as you can get, but still a veteran. I believe she was in the motor pool.
👍 I believe she was a mechanic. There are some "historical photo" accounts on FB that post "historical photos" (in case you couldn't piece that together :) ) and a few recently have been of the Queen, in uniform, in the motor pool, and mention she was a mechanic.

Good on her.

I like the Queen too. Her husband was awesome. Her kids, not so much.

I liked her grandsons too, especially Harry, but recently I've had to re-evaluate that last statement. Harry has really disappointed. His willingness to serve, get on the front lines, support veterans and wounded veterans especially, was all great. Things kind of went down hill later on.

And, this one is for Hughie. This is a DC-3 in 1/144 scale, which I believe is 'N' scale.

Close enough. American and Euro n-scale is 1:160. Japanese N-scale for non bullet trains is 1:150 (but for bullet trains is 1:160). British N-scale is closest at 1:148.

It has to do with how the 9mm n-scale track relates to the actual gauges and how the local modelers chose to bend things to fit. Japan uses 1:150 since most of their non bullet trains are cape gauge (1067mm) but their bullet trains (and some private railway otherwise) are standard gauge. While the normal n-scale track is not a perfect fit at 1:150 for narrow gauge it looks better than if the trains were 1:160. Since Shinkansen bullet trains are on standard gauge track they went with the world standard of 1:160 for that.

Not sure exactly why British modelers went with 1:148

Last edited:
Sorry to see you post this! Like most everything - the price of crude oil is set by demand and/or an International consensus.

And there are other factors involved with gasoline in addition to the price of crude. The ability to refine it (California has not had a new refinery since the 1970s and the north east has consistently been shooting down new refineries over the last 20+ years) -- limit the ability to refine it and that drives cost up. Also cost of transportation to the refinery -- closing off and canceling pipelines doesn't help there.

Closing off and canceling leases to get the crude also has an effect.

And the general attacks on energy by politicians affects sentiment and businessmen will not invest heavily where they don't expect to be able to get a return on investment...

To avoid politics I'll just leave the factual statements and let people connect the dots.

The laws do not work that way in this state. Once something hits the street, it is considered road debris, with little to no accountability.
I discovered this the hard way when a bunch of gravel fell off the back of a truck when it hit a bump, and one of the rocks broke my windshield. It didn't matter I had dashcam video showing the rock fall off the truck and strike my windshield.

Aren't loads required to be covered in your state?

Aren't loads required to be covered in your state?
Yes, but that doesn't mean things like nails, screws, and rocks can't be elsewhere on the truck, and fall off. That's what happened with the rock that broke my windshield. It was a flatbed tow truck, and he had inadvertently scooped up some gravel when he dropped off a car he was hauling. It fell off when he hit a bump. Because it bounced off the road before hitting my windshield, it was considered "road debris", and not "negligence".

Terry, I use one of these.
I can get free repairs at Costco, where I buy my tires, but I can fix it faster than driving there.
I have one of those, but there are two reasons I didn't use it this time around.
First, the nail was on the corner of the tire, making it not repairable.
Second, a plug is considered a temporary repair, and over time, can force the steel belts of the tire apart, causing belt separation and tire failure.

Afternoon All,

It's been raining here on and off from the storm to the south. Wind is only about 10 mph. Today I finished the track crossing which was easy since it was straight track and not curved. I also painted some little people and finally extended the road about 18".

Guy- Very nice airplanes and buildings.

IB Ken- I wonder if the kick-start capacitor is to AC repairmen that headlight adjustment is to state vehicle inspectors. We just replaced ours also.

Sherrel- The RV seems like a constant mechanical issue and money drain...like swimming pools and boats.

Willie- Great looking houses.

Smudge- Good news about the Geep.

Jeff- Great family photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Terry, safety tire seal plugs will not wick water. They are permanent repiars. They are the only ones i use. I began using them when I was with Ryder in 1985. I've never had one fail. If properly installed in radial tires.
I have viewed them through a Bandag casing analyzer and never seen any deterioration of the steel.
I know all repairs are supposed to be in the tread area, with the exception of professional section repairs ,but I have even used them even in the sidewall, my own vehicle of course. From my experience if they seal the leak, they will hold for the life of their tire.
I have a sidewall repair with over 20,000 miles on my Sonic now.
I'm comfortable with them, but you have to do what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
👍 I believe she was a mechanic. There are some "historical photo" accounts on FB that post "historical photos" (in case you couldn't piece that together :) ) and a few recently have been of the Queen, in uniform, in the motor pool, and mention she was a mechanic.

Good on her.

I like the Queen too. Her husband was awesome. Her kids, not so much.

I liked her grandsons too, especially Harry, but recently I've had to re-evaluate that last statement. Harry has really disappointed. His willingness to serve, get on the front lines, support veterans and wounded veterans especially, was all great. Things kind of went down hill later on.
The Queen was trained as an Ambulance driver, but all military drivers were taught basic mechanics as part of their training.

Last edited:
I feel I should elaborate on an improper external tire repair. Otherwise known as a plug. The most common error is to not follow the path of the original puncture. There by creating two holes in the liner of the tire. The liner is what takes the place of the tube in a tubeless tire. it is possible for the improperly installed plug to seal the tire at the tread, but not the liner. In doing so the air will eventually migrate into the casing. Air pressure in the casing will cause either a belt or tread separation or a bubble on the sidewall. All of which will eventually cause the tire to fail or even blow out.

Cheap fabric plugs can and often will allow moisture to wick into the casing. Water and steel are a bad combination. The results of moisture in a tire casing is often tire failure. In a truck tire designed to be retreaded it can make the casing unfit to be retreaded.

As I said I have gone outside the parameters of what is considered a safe repair, but I do not recommend it. Nor will I ever do it on any car anyone other than me drives. As I said, I have a sidewall repair in a tire on my Sonic. I no longer let my wife drive it. My plan is to run these tires on my sonic until the end of Fall and replace all four. I do a circle inspection before driving any vehicle. Knowing I have a plug in the tire of my sonic I also watch closely for any vibration.

That should keep me safe from a law suit. 😉

Have great day Everybody!

Afternoon, I'm back, been very busy with my aging parents and keeping up with the yard. Slowly getting my head above water. I got this a week or so ago and didn't even open it I've been going so much.
IMG_5322.jpg

Ahhh.... the smell of political free model railroading 😜. I actually went through my FB feed after "discussing" with some folks disgruntled over a reporter's "lazy story" on guns. Never mind I showed them the study she quoted from. Sometimes it's better to just shake my head and keep walking.

As for roads! Darn nails and rocks! I've had to purchase a few tires over the years. When even Discount Tire won't fix it, it's time to purchase new.

I took two one-hour naps today, connected by a potty break. Looks like I'll be hitting the melatonin tonight to get past the 3 am potty break again.

Wife is waiting on me to move my espresso machine off the very limited kitchen counter. But my new basement cabinets won't show until Tuesday afternoon. Then I have to paint them before I install them.

She got an air fryer today. Her Zuccinni plants in the patio garden are showing progress. She loves fried zuccinni.

Probably not as tall as Willie's or Jaz's, but they're getting there
Screenshot 2022-06-04 at 4.58.32 PM.png

I feel I should elaborate on an improper external tire repair. Otherwise known as a plug. The most common error is to not follow the path of the original puncture. There by creating two holes in the liner of the tire. The liner is what takes the place of the tube in a tubeless tire. it is possible for the improperly installed plug to seal the tire at the tread, but not the liner. In doing so the air will eventually migrate into the casing. Air pressure in the casing will cause either a belt or tread separation or a bubble on the sidewall. All of which will eventually cause the tire to fail or even blow out.

Cheap fabric plugs can and often will allow moisture to wick into the casing. Water and steel are a bad combination. The results of moisture in a tire casing is often tire failure. In a truck tire designed to be retreaded it can make the casing unfit to be retreaded.

As I said I have gone outside the parameters of what is considered a safe repair, but I do not recommend it. Nor will I ever do it on any car anyone other than me drives. As I said, I have a sidewall repair in a tire on my Sonic. I no longer let my wife drive it. My plan is to run these tires on my sonic until the end of Fall and replace all four. I do a circle inspection before driving any vehicle. Knowing I have a plug in the tire of my sonic I also watch closely for any vibration.

That should keep me safe from a law suit. 😉

Have great day Everybody!
Louis, I just put a plug in a tire on the wifes car this morning. We picked up a screw on the edge of the tire while in Santa Rosa, 160 miles away on Thurs. Very slow leak. 2 tire shops declined to repair it. Made the 4 hr trip home yesterday without having to air it up. Our local tire shop was closed today so I plugged it. Like you, I would be comfortable with my work but the wife not so much so I will have to replace the tire on Monday. It has less than 5K on it. ##@%**%.
Terry, On rocks falling from trucks, While gravel trucks are bad, the worst truck to be behind or along side of are lowbeds hauling const equipment. There are rocks in all the nooks and crannies on the equip & trailer that even the most careful driver wont find. I know this because, well, I'll just say I know this..........
Hope all are well, I have nothing to report on from the trainroom, as it has been dark for several months. Sadly. But heres a pic from the archives.
IMG_1095.jpg

Greetings from Watertown, NY. 59° and breezy...never went higher than 61° all day in spite of clear skies and sun. Meanwhile at home it's 68°, after a high of 86° No wonder the wife and I are FREEZING o_O

Went to my first Dance recital. Mites to HS Seniors...was actually enjoyable. Grand daughter did very well.

Going to a school science fair tomorrow evening, then drive home Monday.

9:07 PM as I write this, and it is still bright enough that I can see blue sky. Even on the first day of summer it never stays light this long...Very deceiving, especially for the wife, as she usually goes to bed at 9PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back