Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this laser cut MDF could be kit bashed into a double track.

Wood bridge1.jpg

As you all probably know we have been everywhere there is an Interstate. We actually thought about moving to S.Utah or N.New Mexico as those areas are just beautiful. Now if they had trees and mountains like here that might be another story. Chesapeake area and upstate New York were also in the move idea, but there are just to many cars. So I guess we will have to stick it out here :)

If I had the money (and a wife who would agree) I'd be moving to 50-100 acres in Montana...

Alas, I don't have the money for that sort of independent living, and the wife is a "city girl" from Japan and doesn't like being far away from Hospitals and other bits and pieces of modern life.

and doesn't like being far away from Hospitals and other bits and pieces of modern life.
AND that is the reason I still sit here -- too many medical problems!
The Spousal Unit wanted to sell the RV as she was concerned about me being too far from medical assistance!
It is Unfortunate that I have become to believe her.

So I said to her the other day: How can you be so beautiful and so stupid at the same time?
She replied: God made me beautiful so that you would be attracted to me; He made me stupid so that I would be attracted to you!

Good evening. 68°. Today's temperature range, 68° to 82°. We have had 0.87" of rain within the last 24 hours. Today did turn out productively, as everything on the schedule was finished by 1300, when the rain began. I really didn't feel like doing any modeling work today.

Spent some time on the phone with second son. He called for guidance on a job change. He started out by telling me all the potential negatives of taking the job...It occurred to me that he held a negative bias toward change, and I told him so, explaining that he had not mentioned one positive about the job. I asked him about the positive features of the job, and potential for advancement etc. He thought for a moment, and began to rattle off a whole bunch of reasons for taking the job...and later called back to tell me he had accepted the offer.

It further occurred to me that generally, we are conditioned to emphasize the negative aspects of life, and to minimize the positive outlook. For me, that attitude probably dates back to the way I was brought up...or not. But even at this stage of life, I should be less pessimistic.

Time to hit the sack...have a lot planned for tomorrow.

OK Tech gurus,

I can use some help...

looks like wife's HP Elitebook and docking station uses a proprietary? HP brand HDMI cable

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 6.20.17 AM.png

White cable is the "standard" HDMI I've always seen
Black Cable is what is currently connected to her monitor.

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 6.20.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 6.20.46 AM.png

The monitor has a second port labeled HDMI... am I able to daisy chain another monitor off this monitor? or do I need another of the proprietary HP cables?

Here's the connector on the monitor end:

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 6.20.59 AM.png

Last edited:
Troy, one of the connectors is an HDMI, the other is a Display Port. Unless she's doing something that requires a very high refresh rate, the HDMI cable should be more than sufficient.
Thanks... Coffee kicked in enough to get me to google the cord.

Looks like I just need a converter to go from HMDI cable out from monitor to DP cable into the docking station.

Good Morning!
I'm still in pain and still under the influence of pain killers. It's such head-hurting pain that I can't concentrate on photographing the pleasant surprises that came in the mail yesterday.
That will come after the dentist takes his tooth-pulling pliers to me in a couple of hours. Thankfully, this torment is going to end soon.

All I need to do, is walk the dog, get a shower on, and then get the wife to drive me down to go under the knife. I might be back after allis well.

Have a great day!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 72°. Barely made 89° yesterday, most likely the same today. The rain yesterday wasn't even measurable; it might have sprinkled for five minutes. Temperatures are supposed to stay in the low 90's until next Monday.

I took a day off from the garden yesterday while I irrigated. Those two 104°+ days when I was gone really dried out the soil. However I did mow extensively. Lack of rain has not affected parts of the yard, just the areas where the Bermuda grass is. I did have to wear the dust mask though, along with my hearing protection.
We (mostly my wife) made two pints of salsa yesterday, using 7 pounds of the ripest tomatoes we had. Used onions, bell peppers and Jalapenos from the garden as well. Salt was the only ingredient that came from the grocery store. We did not process and seal them, intending only to keep them refrigerated.

Thanks to everyone who liked or commented on the freight train yesterday; Smudge, Chad, Troy, Karl, Steve J, Hughie, Patrick, Louis, James, Dave B, OB Ken, Guy, Tom O, Tom, Sherrel, Rick, Gary, Joe.

I was hoping for a little more time out in the train shed yesterday than I actually had. Let's hope that today is better. I did do some more work on the billboard that I have started, mainly cutting angle brackets and gluing them on. No picture yet as there wasn't enough progress to make it worth while. I did some other stuff while glue was drying, but I don't remember what.
So something from the archives is in order. How about some random scenes from Gainesville taken between 4 and 7 years ago.
04-27-18 003.JPG

06-18-15 168.JPG

04-08-12 004.JPG

04-08-12 003.JPG

04-30-19 003.JPG

Patrick - Glenrio TX/NM is an interesting place. I think that there is still one resident there, and the TX/NM border there is still disputed. The whole town or what still exists, is barely only twice the size of my property at 31 acres. My property is 15 acres.
Todd - Mountains don't necessarily excite me, but I do wish that I had more trees. I originally planted 300 seedling trees here in 1981 as part of the Texas A&M windbreak program. It cost me $39.00 plus I had to water them weekly in the summer for 6 or 7 years. Sadly only about 50 still remain. the 100 pines didn't last more than 15 years in my alkaline soil, 50 Mulberry trees didn't survive the grasshopper plague in 2013, I took out a few with the lawnmower or lack of watering when I didn't remember where they were planted and the neighbors goats got their share. Mother Nature took some as well. Native Hackberries have filled in in most places.
Sherrel - Retirement has been good for me, as it gives me time to support medical practitioners! :(

Today is my #2 daughter's birthday, a date that she shares with John Elway and Elon Musk. My wife spent part of the day yesterday baking her a strawberry cake. We'll go see her tonight.
Everybody have a great day.

Thanks... Coffee kicked in enough to get me to google the cord.

Looks like I just need a converter to go from HMDI cable out from monitor to DP cable into the docking station.
Troy: Walmart has those converter cables ( DP to HDMI ) which should work just fine.

The manufactures muddied the water again by giving us yet another connection type - DP V2.1 can do 8K; some say 10K, which is a higher bandwidth and provide for multiple video streams. DP first started out as video only with no audio. V2.1 now has audio. I have read about and not seen yet - there is a DP hub that can split into multiple HDMI which *should* allow multiple monitors which depends on your video card. That video card is a high end gaming card and probably pretty spendy. Couple that with a 4K/8K monitor you are probably looking at more $$$ than your PC is worth. Is it worth it to ya? You need to decide. I choose to stay with HDMI for now and wait for stuff to get cheaper.

Funny thing is that I was just getting used to DVI as some of the newer TV's/Monitors did not have SVGA/VGA and used DVI video ( or combination of DVI/SVGA ). For my use I could find used DVI only video cards pretty cheap and would use them. Both Windoz and Linux found the correct drivers, so I was happy.

I think that it is all headed to fiber connections. Multimode fiber would do everything you wanted in the audio/video realm and have room ( bandwidth ) for your Roku or Firestick ..etc connection to the net.. Basically one connection to the TV/Monitor besides power. As a side note, the TV that Best Buy screwed me out off has onboard Firestick so that is starting to be the norm. If you don't remember, I ordered two and only got one. It does work great and the wife uses it in her office for both TV and PC video.

Nother side note: When I ran power/cable/water from the house to the train cave ( about 170ft ) I also put in additional PVC and Pex just in case. Ran across a pair of HBA's ( host bus adapter ) that were capable of 8Gig and fiber connected ethernet. Ran the fiber through one of the empty PVC pipes. Boy, transfering huge files or directories of files is a breeze. I had no rational reason for doing this, other than 'why not'.

Good Morning all!
53F @ 75% ( morning dew ) and clear

Got our load outa here. Dead heading to Spanish Fork which is South of SLC for a load to Cedar Rapids tomorra *early* for a 11am pickup. Also while in Cedar Rapids we get to visit CRST headquarters for our PM. We have a list! Besides the normal PM stuff; the blown drive took out some of the cosmetic stuff near it which will probably be replaced. I can see the guard that protects the back of the cab from all the mud/crap from spraying it would need fixed. The mount for the ground effects package probably not as most of the ground effects stuff was gone when we got this truck. Air release of the 5th hitch does not work proper; one of us has to hold it open while dropping a trailer. Tried one of those 'release grabbers' but it still does not latch open. Probably will be there for a day or so. Then back to the normal drug stuff. Have asked for a JaxPort run as I want pix of the port and such. That run is to Louisville for delivery to Amgen. Who knows where we go from there. Probably back to Olive Branch to Chicagoland for a bit, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back