Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Gotta play catchup as I am off for the next 2 days just because I need time off.

Currently 66° and cloudy going for a high of 75° later.

Wife and I spent the last 2 days on the road, burning gas. Left Friday night and spent the night in Edmond, Oklahoma, the beginning point of our western run of Route 66. Saturday we traveled along the old route, not really stopping and getting out as the wife has mobility issues, and took roadside pictures along the way. We stopped Saturday in Tucumcari, New Mexico. Stayed at the famous Blue Swallow, neat experience.

Much of Route 66 is either frontage road on Interstate 40. I managed to choose wisely and got the correct side for most of it. Not all the route is frontage. This portion somewhere in Oklahoma is a bit overgrown:

20220625_095128.jpg

While it doesn't look it, that grass is 4 feet tall.

It rained pretty hard as we reached New Mexico, and I almost messed up. Just west of what's left of Glenrio Texas, the road becomes a gravel desert road. I got about 100 yards in and decided to turn around and take the interstate to the next point to pick up the old road. Motel owner said it was a wise choice as the Rt.66 association monitors that road and it was washed out and unpassable a couple of days earlier, along with currently being muddy.

Neat old bridge west of Oklahoma City:

20220625_084711.jpg

It is drivable and we crossed it twice.

More photos later as I quit reading on page 54 and have to start back later.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those envying Willie's tomato haul. It's Troy again.

question: Any Canucks on here from the, or familiar with the area along the north side of Lake Erie? I'm wanting to create a fictional setting for a new book series somewhere along there. Been up to London, Ontario for the Shakesphere festival, and all I remember from driving inland was a LOT of farmland. Towns were few and far.

But, along the shores of Lake Erie I expect a lot of small towns wherever they could build a port.

Are there any forested areas? Or is it developed with housing and businesses?

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those envying Willie's tomato haul. It's Troy again.

question: Any Canucks on here from the, or familiar with the area along the north side of Lake Erie? I'm wanting to create a fictional setting for a new book series somewhere along there. Been up to London, Ontario for the Shakesphere festival, and all I remember from driving inland was a LOT of farmland. Towns were few and far.

But, along the shores of Lake Erie I expect a lot of small towns wherever they could build a port.

Modern time period or what time period in history?

Not that I have much knowledge of the area, not being frp, the Great White North™. (We did drive that side to Buffalo once as a kid from Detroit on a trek bck home to Mass after having visited relatives in Utah many many moons ago).

Counter point on the monitors (to the point of 32" being an upper limit):

I use a 40" 4K TV as my main monitor and the iMac as as second (27"). I happen to have an old Apple 30" Cinema display (2560x1600) as a th8ird monitor, but that one basically has a mail window on it that I check occasionally. The 40" and the imac are the two most used screens.

40" 4K is nice since you can put a LOT of stuff up -- multiple full page documents or whatever and still see it with failing eyes :). Smaller 4K screens the dots get small... 4K are nice as it is what allows you to put up multiple full page documents at a time.
Boy, to big for my desk! I can just imagine what Maria would think if I had a big monitor blocking the view outside! Although I have a 54" that was on the wall used for drawings and such when I was building or repairing stuff. Easier to give that a look than running back to the desktop referencing stuff. Will get that put up again after I figure out a mount that will allow me to rotate it around depending on where I am in the shop. I guess I am lazy. Shop desks are bigger so having a bigger monitor on them probably would work. PC in the house where it sits is just not good for the big guys.

Few years ago I was in the SnoNet NOC and they were using projectors in a small auditorium to display net status. Wanted to give that a go at home but never got around to it as the projectors ( at that time ) were spendy. That was my first data center colo sometime in the middle to late 90's.

Boy, to big for my desk! I can just imagine what Maria would think if I had a big monitor blocking the view outside!

Just position the desk differently. :)

40" is about as big as I would want to go. Bigger than that it becomes harder to as your head has to move too much.

I actually have 2 of the 40". One on my personal iMac and one on the work MacBook Pro. The work one also has a 32" 4K monitor and then the laptop screen (where Slack resides). I have a U-shaped desk made of a bunch of the cheap Ikea tables where you buy the tabletops and legs separately.

I do have a view outside through the window looking over the MacBook Pro built-in screen, but thew view ain't much since its a window well (I am in the basement)...

I got the 40" during Covid when the company gave us $250 to upgrade our home office for WFH and I found the Visio TV at Costco. I liked it enough to buy one personally as well. Best upgrade I've made to my computing setup.

I've been running at least dual screens since 1993 and my job at WordPerfect (then it was a 13" RGB and a 20" monochrome). Don't know what I'd do without them. In those rare instances I travel to Ft Wayne and the home office they give me a 1080P monitor and I use that with my MacBook Pro. Still 2 screens but so much less it is hard to adjust.

Been to London ON many of times over an eight year period. On the North Shores is a place called Port Stanley.....very cool little town and there is a light tower there as well. It was known for the grain shipping in the area. There even used to be railroad tracks that went to the port to off load grain etc.

Then a few miles east of Port Stanley is another port called Port Bruce/Port Burwell. There is an old retired submarine there drydocked on display for the public to view etc.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

We started out at a cool 46° already up to 71.

Tom in WI - Amana colonies - we toured one year during octoberfest. Back in 99 or so I think. The amber beer they made was the best beer I have ever tasted, wish I would have brought back a few cases.

Sherrel - cool train!

Anxiety - best known cure to somehow stay away from our modern news spin. Not easy with more than one person in a household.

Todd - love your western shots, I can almost smell the dry western air!

The bear is back, both our feeders down this morning. Snapped this shot yesterday before the damage, did not know a robin was lurking:

IMG_2285.JPG

Got the inner loop of the track cleaned yesterday. Got a train to move then blew a fuse. Will have to troubleshoot to find the short - DRAT Red Baron at work again!

A shot for fun, though:

IMG_2292.JPG

Freight running in to Groningen from the north

more later, Dave LASM

Afternoon all,

Playing catch up from the weekend. Since it was supposed to rain, we decided Tucumcari was a good quit point to start further west later. Rain was already making the desert parts hard with a 2 wheel drive vehicle... Decided to run to Colorado Springs, so we went north, only to have rain get worse and overcast skies would make it hard to see anything if we went to Pikes Peak. Then altitude got to the wife. 25 years since she was last there and had forgotten she gets it. So we then decided to head home from Pueblo, Colorado. Stopped for lunch at a Culver's and put home into the Equinox's nav system just because I could. System computed and said we'd be home by 10:25p. We were home by 9:04p. System doesn't compute by actual speed, just miles by the speeds it knows about. It's also 6 years out of date, but still a fun toy, just because. It's not an option I actually need, nor would pay for in another vehicle, but was on the car when I bought it. I'll post more picts over the coming weeks. On thing that got me as we stayed long enough above 6000 ft, the low tire light came on for 4 of the 4 tires. Could only get them from 27 psi to 30 psi. Enough to turn off the indicators. Once we got to around 3500 ft, they were all at 35 psi.

I know Culver's was last week's theme, but how a city a bit less than 1/3 the size of Wichita and 700 miles west can get one, but none in our market. Webb City Missouri, with a population of over 11,000 people gets one, but not the much larger city, just isn't fair.
Ok rant over, we had classic Butterburgers and shared a large cheese curds. Of course their root beer too!!!
We were going to run today to Carthage and back to Oklahoma City, as it would fill the void, but woke up stiff from 29 hours in the car over 48 hours. Trip ran a bit less than we thought. Took cash and prepaid for gas, which saved us money.

Good afternoon all,

We started out at a cool 46° already up to 71.

Tom in WI - Amana colonies - we toured one year during octoberfest. Back in 99 or so I think. The amber beer they made was the best beer I have ever tasted, wish I would have brought back a few cases.

Sherrel - cool train!

Anxiety - best known cure to somehow stay away from our modern news spin. Not easy with more than one person in a household.

Todd - love your western shots, I can almost smell the dry western air!
Dave: Nothing like our Western mountain air. When not cloudy or raining humidity stays somewhere between 45% to 55%. Well until about 1500 everyday then it goes up quite a bit for a few hours. Guess that is the 'river effect' and you can almost set your watch by it. We also get a pretty good thermal swing later on in the summer. 45F to 100F+ which cools down everything at night for the next day. The 100+ stuff usually is only for a week or three so it is not too bad.

Where we live we have a mountain range that runs sorta North/South ( Cabinet Range ) which drives the weather guessers bananas. Stuff coming in from the North goes to our side, or the other in which the guessers get it wrong a high percentage of the time. Not really a canyon, more like deep river valley gives us swirling winds most of the time. On occasion we will get 40 to 60Mph blasts - couple times a year mostly Spring and Fall during the weather change.

Just position the desk differently. :)
That would be a can-o-worms! You would not believe the negotiations that I hoop jumped. Inside the house is for all of her stuff. So, promises of more sex, do laundry for a week, out to dinner a couple of times, movie and short trips ... you know all the hoops to jump dealing with the other half! Sooner or later she is gonna want space in the train cave - can't wait for that as I have a list of wants.

Still morning as I start, so Good Morning!

I'm toothache is killing me. It's so bad, that overnight, I contemplated tying a length of dental floss onto it with the other end tied to a door knob.
However, being a typical coward who fears pain, I decided to od on Naproxen and Advil extra-strength. That knocked me out.
Guy - Get well soon. I know that you don't imbibe, but my grandmother gave us a shot of whiskey for toothaches; and other ills as well.
Willie - I did used to drink, too much actually. I'm well aware of the medicinal qualities of whiskey. None-the -less, I'm also aware whiskey can bring out the demon in people. One day some years back, I just decided to leave the cork in the bottle, and not let Satan out anymore. I've been content with that decision over these last years. Even happier and more productive in life. - But, I do wish I had a bottle in the house last night. Bad toothaches are the worst pain I've ever personally felt.

I admit, I didn't read all the posts. Couldn't concentrate through the pain. I apologize for that.

The men on the street didn't help me with trying to catch some Zzzz's. They had alot of noisy equipment out there for a Sunday:
Those rollers tamp the ground as they're rolling, as well. Shakes the whole house. Bump-bum-bum-bum....!
RdPaving_06-26-2022 (1).JPG

RdPaving_06-26-2022 (2).JPG

RdPaving_06-26-2022 (3).JPG

RdPaving_06-26-2022 (4).JPG

RdPaving_06-26-2022 (5).JPG

At least, they are done now, and we have a new street.

Today, I went done to the creek to relax and take it easy.
BeaverCrk_06-27-2022 (1).JPG

I had a doe come by, and give me a distraction from the pain:
MuleDeer_06-27-2022.JPG

Tomorrow, I hope to get that rotten molar yanked. Should be ok come Wednesday. Back in business.

Have a good one!

guy, I have had many medical issues the last 10-15 years. Some of the worst pain though has been the tooth ache. My best wishes for you!

Willie, glad the travels went safely. We have driven by Saltgrass in Waco and threatened to stop a couple times. May just have to do it next time. The son reported in this morning. The house is about 3 months old based on when he moved in. The AC went out yesterday but was running again about 4AM. He has it set at 78 but the house is at 81. He’s fine but called the HVAC contractor who installed it. They will come out in about 2 weeks! Also suggested he call around to other HVAC companies to see if they could come out. Son says told him fine but will forward the bill to him. The house has the mechanical 1 year warranty on it. That was 10 this morning. He called again at 1. The HVAC crew showed up, took a quick look at the unit, called the office to have a new unit brought out. The son asked what the issue was and the tech said it’s just easier to replace the unit then spend a couple hours trying to fix it out in the field. Boy, times have changed.

Todd, add the monitors as you see fit. As long as you get something you will be comfortable with. When I had multiple monitors in the office they started out as 19”, 20 years later they were 32” screens. My IpadPro is 10.5 but I do not work with it

Travels, heading out tomorrow morning as We have a grandson hockey game at 6:45 tonight a mile from the house to attend. By noon on Tuesday we will be at the Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa. This will be Presidential Library #8 of the official 14. Later we will check out the Amana Colonies and Dave thanks for the beer insight. Terry will try it for sure. We have decided to overnight in one of the Colonies and Terry was going searching for a Holiday Inn Express, our normal choice for road tripping hotels.

Patrick. The Route 66 trip can be a neat experience or a really boring one. I have traveled it from downtown Chicago complete to OKC. That was great IMO, especially the Missouri portions.Then again from Flagstaff, Arizona to Barstow, Ca. which was pretty boring IMO. I have threatened a couple times to do the whole trip in one long shot but other then the BIL who has since passed no one wanted to join me on that trip. Terry, my sister and the BIL had done a few times 1-80 east to New York. Getting off at local cities is always interesting and a big reason why Terry and I usually drive to Austin to visit the son. Going off highway is the easiest way to see the USA if it’s not desert in my book!

When not cloudy or raining humidity stays somewhere between 45% to 55%.

That is downright muggy for us on our side of the mountains (Utah). We are usually 25-40% except when storming. We are still more humid than Vegas, which I understand is in the 10-15% range most of the time (?). I know my lips chap over when we drive down there, even though we are used to "dry" air. My friends from back east hate going to conventions because of the dry air (they are used to 60-80% or more). (They are all good married men so the other distractions of Vegas are not enough to make it worth while).

Last edited:
Going off highway is the easiest way to see the USA if it’s not desert in my book!

Actually the desert can be quite beautiful. Living in Utah we live in high plains desert. My son swims (well, he swam club and HS in HS -- once gradated he hasn't swum much). Last spring he had made sectionals in one or two events for club swimming (USA Swimming -- the groujp that does swimming outside of academic swimming up including Olympics) . Sectionals is a regional multi-state level.

The sectional he qualified for was down in greater Phoenix area. I took a few days off work and he and I drove down there. You'd think that there'd be an interstate from SLC down to Phoenix. The good Lord had other ideas and placed this really big hole in the ground in the way (Grand Canyon), which kind of makes that not possible. So driving down to Phoenix you have two routes. I-15 down to Las Vegas, and then a small portion of interstate into Arizona, and then state highways all the way down to the north end of the Phoenix valley where you get to I-17. We had many hours of this state highway stuff through the Arizona desert and some highlands and it was very beautiful (and lonely).

The other way is even more desolate. You basically take US-89 down to Kanab UT (so two lane state highway through the mountains). In Kanab you can either cross into Arizona and take 89A down over Jacob's Lake (lake on top of a mountain so you spend an hour driving up and then stop in the nice cool woods at the top for a break and then back down and an hour or three through desolate high country desert. Very cool. Drove through there once a little over 10 years ago at night -- pitch black. Or in Kanab you stay on US-89 for 45min or an hour East along the border of Arizona and then cross into Arizona and down US-89 through the Navajo reservation and eventually to Flagstaff. If you go the 89A way over Jacob's Lake you end up in the middle of this US-89 north of Flagstaff a ways. In Flaggstaff you get on I-40 and then eventually off onto I-17 and down down down into Phoenix.

So either way you get a lot of off interstate driving including through the desert :)

House update: We are mostly in holding as we wait for the bank to figure out our loan extension etc. Been waiting since end of April though we did not get the final budget into them until after the first week in June (2.5 weeks ago) due to one contractor who was not that responsive despite repeatedly asking him. He finally got stuff in and then we had to wait to do a call so we could ask questions since some of it didn't make sense. So we are just sitting here paying rentals and interest and twirly our thumbs.

I mentioned a while back that I bought my own ICF bracing as the rental fees were already higher than it would have cost for me to just buy my own [we were not originally expecting to take this long but various things including non-showing help put us where we are at]. So end of May through first week of June we swapped out the rented bracing (3 crates worth -- I still have less than one crate from another guy as I need more than 60 pieces right now) and I told the guy we were renting from he could come get it. He finally got back to me (he needed it for another job) and so I arranged a crane this morning and we got him loaded up with his bracing...

IMG_5777.jpegIMG_5789.jpegIMG_5787.jpegIMG_5782.jpeg

Actually the desert can be quite beautiful. Living in Utah we live in high plains desert. My son swims (well, he swam club and HS in HS -- once gradated he hasn't swum much). Last spring he had made sectionals in one or two events for club swimming (USA Swimming -- the groujp that does swimming outside of academic swimming up including Olympics) . Sectionals is a regional multi-state level.
As you all probably know we have been everywhere there is an Interstate. We actually thought about moving to S.Utah or N.New Mexico as those areas are just beautiful. Now if they had trees and mountains like here that might be another story. Chesapeake area and upstate New York were also in the move idea, but there are just to many cars. So I guess we will have to stick it out here :)

Still morning as I start, so Good Morning!

I'm toothache is killing me. It's so bad, that overnight, I contemplated tying a length of dental floss onto it with the other end tied to a door knob.
However, being a typical coward who fears pain, I decided to od on Naproxen and Advil extra-strength. That knocked me out.

Willie - I did used to drink, too much actually. I'm well aware of the medicinal qualities of whiskey. None-the -less, I'm also aware whiskey can bring out the demon in people. One day some years back, I just decided to leave the cork in the bottle, and not let Satan out anymore. I've been content with that decision over these last years. Even happier and more productive in life. - But, I do wish I had a bottle in the house last night. Bad toothaches are the worst pain I've ever personally felt.

I admit, I didn't read all the posts. Couldn't concentrate through the pain. I apologize for that.

The men on the street didn't help me with trying to catch some Zzzz's. They had alot of noisy equipment out there for a Sunday:
Those rollers tamp the ground as they're rolling, as well. Shakes the whole house. Bump-bum-bum-bum....!
View attachment 147946
View attachment 147947
View attachment 147948
View attachment 147949
View attachment 147950

At least, they are done now, and we have a new street.

Today, I went done to the creek to relax and take it easy.
View attachment 147951
I had a doe come by, and give me a distraction from the pain:
View attachment 147952

Tomorrow, I hope to get that rotten molar yanked. Should be ok come Wednesday. Back in business.

Have a good one!
It is the advent of the paving crew!!! I spent a few years following behind this train of workers, inspecting the bituminous. Even when standing still, they work harder than most.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back