Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

34° and cloudy this morning with a fog advisory until noon. High later of 41°. While it would be nice to see some sun this week, it will be, for the most part, above freezing for highs and getting to almost 60° by early next week.

It's only Wednesday and feels like it should be Friday.

Try to BBL

421555680_772317404931721_6980646927770226511_n.jpg

I still don't get this NKP. Looks like a conglomerate of several railroads under eventual single banner(?). Also through the town of Hamburg in western New York state. There are basically three railroads. One of them is barely used and is housing some museum equipment, namely a Pennsy decapod I1. Is this the former NKP line?

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those who remember passwords
It's Troy again

Wife heads to the optometrist this afternoon, so I'll be driving. Pesky dilation and such.

I think I told you that I found a new gaming group for the Role Play side to hang out with. Group meets next Tuesday. So I've got some work to do. Debating on playing a Goblin forest warlock, or a Gnome pirate rogue... hmmmm?

Just finished the last audio book I plan to do with AI. The voices are almost there, but not quite. And the amount of time needed for me to babysit the production isn't worth it.

Here's the cover. If anyone wants to listen, inbox me, and I'll send you a link to download it.

00-Haqlloween-AUDIO-800.jpg

OK, time to get the nose back on the grindstone...

Good morning from densely fogged in So. Central Wisconsin. I broke down after 3 days and on the opening of day 4 I have looked at the Weather app on the IPadPro. It’s foggy out! 35f degrees with freezing rain. I have to go to the office and do the sidewalks by noon today. I believe it will be the non harmful to the world chemical ice melt being needed. We did get more than an inch of snow yesterday between bouts of freezing rain. So nothing to plow, blow or shovel just a frozen layer of mush! I may drop the blade to scrape everything with the ATV, but I walk the sidewalks to hand toss the ice melt. Here at the house the radiant heat on the apron in front of the garage and the sidewalks just look wet.

Thankfully as with the previous house along with the solar panels we have Wind powered generators and geothermal pumps or this place would be running on the propane powered generator. In the last 96 hours the solar panels have generated only 3 producible kilowatt hours. Normal is 4-5 hours per day. The wind though has generated 84% and geo the balance. We have been discussing putting the next house (easer to sell the house) on the grid and eliminating the geothermal but keeping solar and some wind. Of the 3 sources of power for us, geothermal is the less efficient.

I have 3 cars including a caboose that need to be weathered complete before the travels start next Tuesday, the 30th. I am not anticipating any issues but other than painting some brass caboose in the 70’s I‘ve never weathered one.

Terry’s state pension plan, top 3 in the nation supposedly, sent her notification of her increase for 2024. She was notified in November it was coming but yesterday they told her how much starting in February. It’s based on the last 5 years of the stock market and is about 150 more monthly than last year. Today our allowances increase as the January Eagle has landed. The Social Security payment is up. It‘d be even nicer if it was a true Cost of Living increase but an increase is always helpful.

Another messy night sleeping for me. Slept from midnight to 1:30 and then awake till about 3:30 but was able to sleep till 8. Enough hours of sleep but I feel I have lost so much of the day when I’m not out of bed by 6

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Foggy, maybe misting and 43° on the SFW estate. The ever-changing forecast, while still has temperatures rising for a few days, has had rain re-inserted for tonight after it was removed yesterday. Mother Nature does whatever she wants to do! Right now it looks like mid-60's all of next week, with the one constant of rain this Friday. Under a dense fog advisory until 10:00 this morning like the last 3 days.

Once again yesterday was a dismal day outside; after emptying the dishwasher I was bored enough to deep clean the stove top while my wife was out shopping. She didn't even notice!:( Brought in extra wood to dry underneath the heater, it's actually only wet on the outside! It does seem that the field rat situation outside under all of the wood stacks has been resolved. I haven't caught one in 10 days after catching 8 in the first 7 days of setting traps out there. I hope that the birds of prey enjoyed the meals that I left out by the edge of the hayfield. They always seemed to disappear.
Today brings an annual gathering with an ever diminishing group of our college friends; a la "The Big Chill". Times are beginning to catch up with us. Pre-Covid, we used to have a rather raucous get-together in the evening, where some weren't allowed to drive home. This year we're doing a luncheon at a restaurant. There used to be 16 of us, now there are 10. Cancer claimed 4, auto accident claimed 1 and the last fellow dropped off the radar when his wife passed...he had married in, in the 80's, and was not part of the original college group. With the exception of the last three years, we've gotten together for this occasion for just over 50 years. Although we see some of these friends at other occasions during the year, this will be the first time together since wife and me celebrated our 50th anniversary party in '22.

There it goes again! No matter how many times I have texted "STOP" to the senders, I am still being barraged by text messages (addressed to Tina, the previous holder of my cell phone number), asking me to donate to Joe Biden. They're not only coming from Joe and Kamela, they're coming from Hillary, Chuck, Ro Khanna, Nancy, and now James Carville. This "Tina" person obviously didn't want to be traced, as over the last 5 years, I have gotten to know her doctor, dentist, beautician, another doctor, when her Walmart grocery pickup is ready, Amazon passwords, numerous lawyers and collection agencies, at least a dozen realtors wanting to buy her house (so I also know where she lives), several ex-coworkers from UNT where she worked, info concerning her Netflix account, many unknown persons and even her mother who never updated her contact list. She obviously donated to the Democratic party based on the number of texts that I receive...at least 10/week now. I have been invited to birthday parties, retirement parties and a wedding. I have thought about just showing up at one of these events but didn't want to waste my time. I could have had AT&T change my number, but it's actually been entertaining except for the political begging.

My time out in the train shed yesterday was more cleaning and dusting structures and freight cars. I am getting the urge to build another structure, but I promised myself that I would finish the cemetery first. I did start on the assembly of the second fence, but that is a slow process because I can't go far without letting the white glue dry thoroughly.
Sherrel, Swal, Curt & others - Yes that club layout is astounding and that's why I took so many pictures. I don't think that I got it all yet, even after two visits. Here's today's offering:
First is a member's open locker displaying UP 4014, Big Boy and other treasures.
IMG_1306.JPG

And some scenes with homesteads.
IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

And random shots of businesses.
IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

There will be more to come until I can get some more progress shots on my own layout.

Sherrel - No oil wells on that layout and no refineries that I can tell. Plenty of fuel distributors and an ethanol plant though. That steel mill is something to behold. It occupies a space that I estimate is 2'x24'.
Louis - I probably see Amazon, Fedex and UPS drivers more than most, since I am outside a lot and can see them coming for a distance. I always thank them and they're all pretty friendly except one particular UPS guy. I know that they are on a tight schedule so I don't linger and engage in any extended conversations, although sometimes they do on their own. I believe that they are allowed more leeway on the rural routes.

Today is Beer Can Appreciation Day, commemorating the introduction of the beer can in 1935. Yes it is a monumental event, but I still purchase my beer in bottles. The pull-tabs get hung up in my mustache.

Everybody have a great hump-day.

Isenhower administration that started to shift production to far east
Actually, what Eisenhower's Administration did was cut out subsidies for American Built Ships, which were processed through the Maritime Administration, and gut the US Merchant Marine in favor of "Cheaper" Foreign Flags of Convenience that did not pay standard wages. Benefiting interests were the Bahamas, Panama, and Liberia. Meanwhile, buyers for major department stores began buying electronics for resale from Japan and Formosa, (That's an old name, eh?), because there was more margin than domestic electronics...Began the decline of the domestic electronics industry.

The process has been continued by every administration ever since.

Good morning:

41°, cloudy and wet. Drizzle is predicted for the balance of the day. Today's high temperature 46°. The snow cover is disappearing quickly, but the flooding has not materialized. They forget, that sand drains amazingly well, and that's what Jersey is built on.

The Caps lost 6-3 last night...Crazy season.

Much of today will be spent in the train room.

Willie: That's one fantastic club layout.

I added PRR Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, Volume 2, Ian S. Fischer, Morning Sun Books, to my Library. The Dust Jacket has a photo from an unidentified location showing a train passing on one lead, while a shifter handling cabins on another. Since three of the four cabins have train phone, the photo is from prior to 1966. Point of note, there are four cabins visible, 3 Pool cabs, 1 local or assigned cab. There are four (4) different paint / lettering schemes for four cabins... Conclusion, the Standard Railroad of the World, isn't that standard.

Morning folks,

My wife has a dentist appointment this morning so a good portion of the day is shot to hell. Like TLOC, my nights leave something to be desired these days. My wife needs help to the bathroom 2, 3, and sometimes 4 times a night and it usually takes me a good 1/2 hr to get back to sleep. But it is the golden years.

Morning folks,

My wife has a dentist appointment this morning so a good portion of the day is shot to hell. Like TLOC, my nights leave something to be desired these days. My wife needs help to the bathroom 2, 3, and sometimes 4 times a night and it usually takes me a good 1/2 hr to get back to sleep. But it is the golden years.

Yes. The joys of old age. It was after midday before Dawn could manage to use the elevator and come down to the living area.

George: Reading your posts, I'm learning that NY State has different Thresholds for Medicare Nursing stays, vs, Jersey, so any of our experiences will be out of line with what they are telling you. One question to ask the lawyer: What are your attorney's fees going to cost, and how does that affect the spend down / asset / income thresholds?
Boris our lawyer has already told me she has be admitted to a NY nursing home because of the different state laws that apply. At this monument I'm turning the Power of Attorney pages into a PDF package I can send to her retirement fund accounts because that money will be redirected to the nursing home very shortly. This process was started 18 months ago after her first fall but was never activated. The lawyer Fee for new wills, Power of Attorney and getting her ready for a nursing home stay then was $2,000.00. I don't know what the fee is this time that she's actually going to be admitted. The nursing home finance person told me my lawyer and her are going to good friends now. They have a lot to go over together. I told the lawyer let me know what I owe you. I'll let you know when I get the bill.
Swal

Good morning, everyone!

Like Tom, our weather here is foggy, damp, and cool. None of the drizzle last night or this morning has been the freezing variety but have yet to venture out and see for myself. Really no plans to head outside.

Other than that, nothing earth shattering to report. I guess that's a good thing!

Willie-I agree, that steel mill has me in awe!

Have a safe day everyone!

Good morning:

41°, cloudy and wet. Drizzle is predicted for the balance of the day. Today's high temperature 46°. The snow cover is disappearing quickly, but the flooding has not materialized. They forget, that sand drains amazingly well, and that's what Jersey is built on.

The Caps lost 6-3 last night...Crazy season.

Much of today will be spent in the train room.

Willie: That's one fantastic club layout.

I added PRR Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, Volume 2, Ian S. Fischer, Morning Sun Books, to my Library. The Dust Jacket has a photo from an unidentified location showing a train passing on one lead, while a shifter handling cabins on another. Since three of the four cabins have train phone, the photo is from prior to 1966. Point of note, there are four cabins visible, 3 Pool cabs, 1 local or assigned cab. There are four (4) different paint / lettering schemes for four cabins... Conclusion, the Standard Railroad of the World, isn't that standard.
I think it was Bill Volkmer (the author of several Morning Sun volumes), who jokingly said that the only thing standard about Pennsy was the gauge it ran on, and the standard time it ran by😉

Interesting finding. Based on what I have read, geothermal was supposed to be the panacea. Wind has been used for years, it is efficient, except in a calm or a storm. Solar, obviously has it's limitations. I'm surprised that your average is only 4-5 hours. I thought you would get more.
When you consider the cost of geothermal equipment (not too bad) and the drilling of the 4 wells for it, (extremely expensive in my part of Wisconsin) the efficiently of the actual product is diminished.

We have 4 Tesla Powerwalls+. From 0% storage to a 100% charge is about 6-8 hours. Without the Powerwalls and the energy it can store to be off grid would impossible for us. We do get internet service via fiber optic so technically we are only partially off grid. We have no connections to the electrical grid BUT the last house was a tougher sell being off grid then previous houses. For this one though we have an installed but unused electrical connection installed at the property line. Hooking that up to the house will cost less than $5,000. To bring in an electrical connection at the last house cost almost $15000.

This part is controversial and I have no personal experience but we have heard…

1 dedicated Powerwall for 2 EV’s. I’m not a fan (at this time) of buying a EV

Last edited:
This just in:

Customer Notice

We regret to inform you that MB Klein Inc. (Model Train Stuff) has now ceased trading.

Thank you for your custom and support over our incredible 111 years of continuous operation.

Our customer service agents are available for a limited period to assist with any final queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back