Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all. The sun is failing miserably trying to peer through the thick, dark clouds. Not a lot going on this morning.
Youngest grandson is visiting after school.

Curt. Must take more pictures of boxes on wheels. 🤣

Burns Night Haggis, neeps 'n' tatties for dinner. A glass or three of Scotch.

Back later

Good morning gang!

43° and light rain, also very foggy out there ! Driving backwards just might work on a day like this cuz nobody can see you anyway!

Thanks to the dogs I only got about 2 hours of good sleep last night, will be hanging out near the Bunn machine all day Flo, just let me know if I get in the way.

BBL

Morning all,

A little later for me as I had Police users that needed names changed (one married and one no longer).

Currently 35° and rainy, high later of 46°. Actually predicting low 60's for early next week. We'll see.

Only one here today as 1 called in and the other 2 are at a meeting I was given a choice to opt out of. I find them tedious and of not much use. I know, my advanced years showing... 🤣

BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 46°; continued mild until Saturday night, but the cold spell will only last one day and we'll see mid to upper 60's beginning Monday. Still have rain in tomorrow's forecast at 78%. Yesterday's fog never really materialized here but we experienced some in Dallas.

Today is the weekly grocery trek into Denton. Yesterday we went to Trader Joe's in Dallas on our way to the luncheon that we went to with friends. We don't often go there, but we went to browse and purchase some of their eclectic choices of products. And since food was the primary reason for this trip, we also went by and picked up our 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies at our granddaughter's home. I needed to kill about 20 minutes of time, so I went to the Hobby Lobby next to Trader Joe's and bought a couple of really fine tip paintbrushes and a couple of bottles of Testor's enamel paint that our local HL always seems to be out of.
The luncheon was at a favorite place called La Hacienda. Years ago when they first started it was equally a combination fine steak and Mexican restaurant. They have morphed into more of a Mexican place now, with only two steaks left on the menu. During my days at work, vendors knew that was the place to take me for a great steak lunch. Back then they had a 1 1/2" thick 14 oz rib eye that was my favorite. That left the menu while I was still going there.
Catching up with our old friends was a real treat. I was once again reminded about the value of planning and saving for retirement by the current situation with two very old friends, both 73. My high school buddy who was also my best man, is still working about 30 hours a week in a sales job. Most of his career he worked on 1099 commission basis or unreported income, and didn't pay Social Security without ever realizing the consequences. He now draws about $700/month in SS benefits! One more year of working before he is eligible for Medicare. The other is in a slightly better situation, drawing about $900/month. He worked in telecommunications and received most of his pay in foreign contract payments, which he never reported. He currently works as a greeter at his local Lowe's Home Improvement Center. Fortunately he worked enough quarters over the years to qualify for Medicare. Both have wives who draw much more SS and/or pensions than they do, but neither one can comfortably retire.

I didn't get home in time to go out to the train shed, so no progress there. Today may be the same.
Here are a few more random pictures from the Texas Northern Model Railroad Club layout.
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG
1706189847468.jpeg
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG

As I previously posted, I took many scene shots so I could improve many of my own.

Louis -
I feel safe to assume that would be in honor of world renown Scotsman Robert Burns' birthday.
I believe that it is.

Gotta go now, everyone have a great day.

Last edited:
I've finally found someone who moves house more than I do. The longest I had in one spot since college was 10 years.

Wife tells me the current is the retirement home, until we can do the stairs. And the stairs are one reason we got this place. We want the exercise of using them. Since our main floor toilet is inside the wife's office, I have to go up two floors from the writing cave to use the other toilet. That helps with my step count. Yes, I pee a lot. ;)
Troy! From 1976 to 81 we stayed in the first house. The second house we owned and had custom built we stayed in from 81 to 2014 but I can tell you even I couldn’t recognize the original after the add ons and remodels. We both thought that was the forever home. It was party central and on a lake. But time and moods change, the grandkids were in So Central and we were in No Central Wi. but 2 hours away. We moved to So. Central Wi. thinking we were going to downsize and buy a pre-owned house in 2014.

The 1st home here was the farmhouse the realtor found on a fluke ((4 miles from the grandkids) but much bigger then we wanted for retirement. I had a medically minor stroke (not in my mind was it minor) in 2/2015 and while in a rehab center for 3 months we talked that I couldn’t handle the house steps. Terry found 850 acres with a nice house on it. She won the property in a bankruptcy auction and immediately started the re-model of the huge house that had 2 bedrooms on the main floor that were perfect for us and added a small stable. That property also had an unused cow barn that was in decent condition but old. I had the barn sectioned and remodeled into a giant train room, offices in the hay mow and a giant garage. 2 houses in the 1st 18 months of retirement but they don’t count as they were remodels.

Turns out we had more than the 850 acres as it did say MOL (more or less). We had another couple hundred acres across one of the streets and that 200 acres was what I always wanted. Rolling hills and trees as far as you could see. We were having our ( @ the time family quarterly meetings) and we brought up that we were going to sell the house and the 850 acres. My brother says later, “I don’t want the all the acreage” but he wanted the house, barn and 80 acres for his then Corvette collection. The fun had begun with the 1st of the 3 builds since.

We have No illusions that the next house we build will be the final one. Part of the fun is making the next one better. Plus since the real estate market is still good, why not!

Greetings from the SW corner once again. Almost a non-function type day (again) from lack of proper sleep. It is 54 degrees and supposed to be 66 for a high today with mostly sunny!

Have a video call with the primary "D" today at 10AM - I presume to go over the results of the biopsy - and an appointment with the Oncology dept for the 2nd of February. My guess is that they want to "practice more medicine" with the radioactive pills and such. In my mind (which I cannot turn off) is that it is NOT good news? WELP, guess I will know in a few more hours?

I need to go back and ctch up on the news from yesterday.!
Have a great day everyone!
BBL

I feel safe to assume that would be in honor of world renown Scotsman Robert Burns' birthday.
Most definitely.

Just heard that our daughter will do a quick visit as she heads home. She will stop for some supper. I'll make extra haggis 'n' neeps. No alcohol for her though. Good girl..

Anyone over the pond wish to join us? Just wear tartan and be here 7.00pm for 7.30pm

Willie: Never reply 'Stop' as you are proving that you are real and read your texts. The spammers are not targeting you specifically, just your phone number, they broadcast to many numbers to fish. Verizon has a 'report spammer' selection if you hold down on the text ( or phone number when called ) to bring that menu up. That seems to work pretty good as I used to get a ton of texts for the previous owner of my # who had it almost 12 years ago. Spam calls and texts have almost become non-existent.
In general - IF I remember this correctly, political texts are in a different ruleset for cell calls and texts...

Texts can get around the Do not call restrictions (look above the purple highlight):

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 10.04.04 AM.png

Now we know what interns and volunteers do at local campaign HQ... cut and paste numbers into a computer texting program, hit send, cut and paste the next one.

I got on the Arizona Red Hat list somehow... It took about 50 texts replies of STOP to get them to finally stop. The problem is, once your cell # gets on a mailing list (I was legit on a LOT of tea party email and contact lists at one point) it gets shared with all sorts of like minded groups.

So, you have to cycle through every candidate, every PAC, every county org... it's a pain, but it can be done...

Heading to the show this weekend!

I will be there when the doors open on Saturday morning until closing time as usual. I may stay the night and go in the morning it looks like the vendor attendance will be back bigger and better than recent years! Pretty stoked about it!

Yall have a good weekend and I will of course report back. If anyone els is going send me a message and I would be pleased to meet ya there. I have so many folks that I will be meeting there at their booths etc. Lots of fun and good people!

Later!

Heading to the show this weekend!

I will be there when the doors open on Saturday morning until closing time as usual. I may stay the night and go in the morning it looks like the vendor attendance will be back bigger and better than recent years! Pretty stoked about it!

Yall have a good weekend and I will of course report back. If anyone els is going send me a message and I would be pleased to meet ya there. I have so many folks that I will be meeting there at their booths etc. Lots of fun and good people!

Later!
Safe travels and enjoy the show.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 65F and currently in the 80's. After chores I worked on the outside public phone setup. I had to photoshop an 1950's public telephone sign. It's not the clearest but the best I can do on my home equipment. I painted the detail parts so that's done. Tomorrow first thing I have dental appointment 1/4. Numbers 2 & 3 will be the worst ones.

Bigfoot- Nice looking load.

Louis- Thank you.

Troy- That's one way to get your count but don't wait too long for your journey! :D

Bill- Nice video.

Todd- Good luck with the VA. Sometimes dealing with them can be a bear.

David- I researched your dinner and I think I will pass on the haggis.:oops:

Willie- More great photos.

TomO- Interesting progression of homes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back