Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops ! As always I made a big mistake and deleted my post about "Going to N scale". Apologies to all.
Hello Happy Members !
because I will never be able to build a large H0 scale layout (mostly for the lack of space), I'm thinking about going to N scale. But I know absolutely nothing about N scale. So, is a good or a bad idea? All your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Why does your layout have to be large? There are plenty of average to small layout plans out there that can give you many hours of fun building, scenicking, and operating if you like short trains and switching. As to HO over N, how good are your eyes? If I made that move today, I would be much less of a builder and more of an RTR type of hobbyist. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I enjoy working with craftsman kits, and HO is a challenge for that already with sizes of pieces and parts. Small details are harder to find, and overall availability is a challenge for what I'd want to do. YMMV!

Last edited:
when I've been populating my light boards (PCB) with SMD I've used a hot plate. I bought a hot plate and IR thermometer and populate everything and last carefully on the hot plate for a very short while. It is amazing to watch the solder melted every line up (unless you have too much pate on). The hot air gun is a good idea to fix things or for some singleton applications (just attaching one chip).
ChadBag: You might go to a toaster oven as I have found that those hot plates have pretty wide temp swings. Had to quit using the oven as the wife was complaining about it smelling like electronic stuff; DUH, imagine that. Good thing she didn't know what I put in the dishwasher. Talker her into a new toaster oven ( NuWave ) and I stole the old one. The NuWave had a big learning curve; took me more that a few tries to get stuff the way I wanted it. Now simple directions are on the top of the thing and it does indeed work good.

Later

I'll second Kato stuff for N scale. Their Unitrack just plain works. It isn't the least expensive, but it is just about the best track I've ever seen when it comes to being able to snap it together. Better than the Bachmann EZ track, with better turnouts too.

A fun morning...

Started out sitting in my favorite chair with Winston on my lap, watching the sun come up.

We got to see two foxes trot through the back yard. About a half hour later, I let Winston outside. As he was surveying the yard for the perfect spot to drop a deuce, one of the foxes bolted across the yard again. Winston was gone in a flash, chasing teh fox down along a creek, and into the woods.

He came back just as I was getting the golf cart out to go look for him, when he cam back... covered in mud.

So... I got to wash the dog before leaving for the office. At least the traffic was light this morning since most people get today off for the New Year holiday.

ChadBag: You might go to a toaster oven as I have found that those hot plates have pretty wide temp swings.

The hot plate I have varies over the surface but the individual spots on it are pretty consistent (based on using my IR thermometer). I only do one board at a time and its worked out for me. Of course its been a while since I assembled one of my light boards so I've forgotten everything about what temps I set things to and how I did everything :)

I think I'm a bit old for this scale. I will surely need XXL glasses. 🤣

One of the things I bought here in Japan was a good supply of ¥100 dollar store reading glasses (actually pretty good ones for the price) (about 130 yen to the dollar right now give or take). I use the +2 to +4 when doing detail work. I don't use them for reading or anything but when soldering decoders or doing any sort of small detail work I will use them. Helps me be able to see the detailed parts or wires.

I'm a little somber this morning. My oldest daughter works in the ER of Grant Medical Center, here in Columbus. It's one of two Level-1 trauma centers in Columbus. Usually, the ER people don't get involved in the trauma center activity, but Saturday evening, into Sunday morning was... shall we say, unusual...

In the course of about 6 hours, they had 7 trauma patients with gunshot wounds, 3 trauma patients from car accidents, and 2 young females with alcohol poisoning to the point of needing intubated and put on a ventilator. The trauma center spilled over into teh ER area, especially when the call came in about 5 new gunshot patients coming in. They were scambling to get ER rooms ready becaus eteh trauma center was already at capacity.

One of the trauma doctors had to "take a moment" to pull himself together after having a car accident victim's skull collapse like a broken vase in his hands as they were trying to stabilize him. Two of the gunshot victims were DOA. Five of the gunshot victims all arrived at the same time, from the same altercation that occurred at a strip club by the airport. Apparently, the shooter is still at large.

The sad part... all of these were alcohol related. All the shooting victims were drunk, the vehicle crashes were alcohol related, and, well... alcohol poisoning isn't caused by having too much water...

Sorry for the downer... I always used to say I never went out on "Amateur Night." Cause, you know... I wasn't an amateur drinker.

Alcohol can be such an insidious drug.

I'm a little somber this morning. My oldest daughter works in the ER of Grant Medical Center, here in Columbus. It's one of two Level-1 trauma centers in Columbus. Usually, the ER people don't get involved in the trauma center activity, but Saturday evening, into Sunday morning was... shall we say, unusual...

In the course of about 6 hours, they had 7 trauma patients with gunshot wounds, 3 trauma patients from car accidents, and 2 young females with alcohol poisoning to the point of needing intubated and put on a ventilator. The trauma center spilled over into teh ER area, especially when the call came in about 5 new gunshot patients coming in. They were scambling to get ER rooms ready becaus eteh trauma center was already at capacity.

One of the trauma doctors had to "take a moment" to pull himself together after having a car accident victim's skull collapse like a broken vase in his hands as they were trying to stabilize him. Two of the gunshot victims were DOA. Five of the gunshot victims all arrived at the same time, from the same altercation that occurred at a strip club by the airport. Apparently, the shooter is still at large.

The sad part... all of these were alcohol related. All the shooting victims were drunk, the vehicle crashes were alcohol related, and, well... alcohol poisoning isn't caused by having too much water...

Sorry for the downer... I always used to say I never went out on "Amateur Night." Cause, you know... I wasn't an amateur drinker.

Alcohol can be such an insidious drug.
So right. In Holland some people say smoking weed is not as bad as drinking too much. I do neither... I stop after 1 glas or 1 bottle of beer. Thats easy, you don't bother anybody and do no harm. (and I hope to live longer to finish all the projects I still want to finish). A "new" habit here is that youngsters carry knives. So not that many shot wounds here but the amount of stabbing incidents is higher every year, very alarming.

I've used the Iwata brand compressors for years. Their tankless Smart Jet is a great unit and does not have any issues with pulsing. It seems they licked that issue somehow. The drawback is they aren't cheap, at the $250 US range. The good news is they are lightweight and quiet, and the Smart feature turns it off when you aren't spraying. I would still have mine but at a show we ran out of them, and my partner sold mine as used when I was out of the booth. I get a better unit out of that deal, so I wasn't PO'd but that goes to show the demand we had for them.
Iwata Ninja Jet compressors start at $175 here, but I would like to stay away from diaphragm compressors as their working life is normally shorter than piston type, and as has been mentioned, diaphragm compressors have a tendency to pulse. I'm sure that as you say they have resolved that problem, but at that kind of starting price I'm not prepared to risk it and end up buying a piston style compressor if it were to fail.

I'm glad your misfortune at the show ended up to your advantage, but I don't think you were very impressed with him when you returned to find it gone.

N scale. So, is a good or a bad idea? All your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated.
There is not a lot of difference modeling N vs. HO. The amount of track in the same space, the win goes to N. The wider choice of products, the win goes to HO. There are quality products in both N and HO, as there are crap products in N and HO. They wire the same, DC or DCC. As to the XXL glasses, if you have reasonably good vision, corrected or not, then seeing to build structures, modify or upgrade rolling stock isn't really that bad. Big fingers and little bitty parts, now that's a little different story. Patience is the key to working with N scale, even those tiny stairs and windows. As Chad pointed out Kato Unitrack would be a good choice as it holds up well when being reconfigured as often as you do. My layout is 3 and 1/2 feet wide by 11 feet long, all Unitrack.

Iwata Ninja Jet compressors start at $175 here, but I would like to stay away from diaphragm compressors as their working life is normally shorter than piston type, and as has been mentioned, diaphragm compressors have a tendency to pulse. I'm sure that as you say they have resolved that problem, but at that kind of starting price I'm not prepared to risk it and end up buying a piston style compressor if it were to fail.

I'm glad your misfortune at the show ended up to your advantage, but I don't think you were very impressed with him when you returned to find it gone.
Ninja Jets are not the same as Smart or Sprint Jets. Sprint is same as Smart except no smart switch. Note that these are all piston type compressors. The issue used to be the abscence of a tank causing pulsation, not the diaphragm vs piston construction. They won't fail, trust me. Been using them for years.

Ninja Jet:
https://myairbrushcompressors.com/iwata-medea-ninja-jet/

Smart Jet:

https://trmreviewconnect.wordpress.com/2016/10/29/iwata-smart-jet-air-compressor-is-850/

Having used both, as well as several others in their product line I can tell you that they are robust well-made machines that will last for many years and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Ninja Jets are not the same as Smart or Sprint Jets. Sprint is same as Smart except no smart switch. Note that these are all piston type compressors. The issue used to be the abscence of a tank causing pulsation, not the diaphragm vs piston construction. They won't fail, trust me. Been using them for years.

Ninja Jet:
https://myairbrushcompressors.com/iwata-medea-ninja-jet/

Smart Jet:

https://trmreviewconnect.wordpress.com/2016/10/29/iwata-smart-jet-air-compressor-is-850/

Having used both, as well as several others in their product line I can tell you that they are robust well-made machines that will last for many years and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
I get what your saying, but I simply can't justify that kind of cash, (basically I'm around the maximum of £100), and I can't see me spending hours with an airbrush as Tom, yourself and a few others do either, so for me, it doesn't justify the extra cost involved, I just want a decent system to do the odd re-paint, and some decent weathering.

I've found this one, it seems suitable for not only my price range of £100 but for what I want to do as well.
3Ltr Tank, max 57psi, power rating of 150w, auto shut off/start, water trap, pressure regulator and air filter

1672684322354.png

I get what your saying, but I simply can't justify that kind of cash, (basically I'm around the maximum of £100), and I can't see me spending hours with an airbrush as Tom, yourself and a few others do either, so for me, it doesn't justify the extra cost involved, I just want a decent system to do the odd re-paint, and some decent weathering.

I've found this one, it seems suitable for not only my price range of £100 but for what I want to do as well.
3Ltr Tank, max 57psi, power rating of 150w, auto shut off/start, water trap, pressure regulator and air filter

View attachment 159069
With budget and definitely space a concern maybe one of the self contained units.
C80E38E8-71A5-407F-86F2-60601EFE7730.png
I do see the prices are up at least 15% since 2/2021 when I saw one demonstrated at a Train show. A couple guys I know use them in the retirement communities they live, they are quiet.

Afternoon All,

Well not a good start to the New Year. Both Dad and MOH have tested positive for Covid. They have minor to moderate symptoms. Of course, we're keeping an eye on Dad because of his age. I tested negative but feel like crap so I'm not sure what's going on with me. Son was sick last week but's feeling better. Anyway, I'll be off for a few days until I start feeling better.

Louis- Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your sister.

View attachment 159069
If it's strictly a matter of budget there are cheaper alternatives of course. Nothing Iwata does is cheap, but they're all a "buy it once and it'll last forever" proposition. Good luck with whatever you pick.

With budget and definitely space a concern maybe one of the self contained units.
View attachment 159070I do see the prices are up at least 15% since 2/2021 when I saw one demonstrated at a Train show. A couple guys I know use them in the retirement communities they live, they are quiet.
The total budget is £150, the airbrush I want is £47, so £103 for the compressor is all I can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back