Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone!

Success - at least preliminary good indications. I got the old turnout removed by sliding the joiners completely on to the old TO; unsoldered the pair of feeders; used the flexible putty knife to carefully break the caulk I use for adhesive; and lifted the old one off. So far so good.

Did some clean and prep for the new TO including carefully drilling out the throwbar hole in case I do want to connect the Caboose throw, and soldered on the frog feeder wire. Slid the joiners into place and put down new latex caulk, and carefully, with patience, a mild batch of colorful language, some motivational pep-talk, and finally got all six joiners attached and the to weighted down. Yay!

Will solder on the feeder wires and should be back in business. Also ready to wire up the program track that comes off the turntable by means of a on-off-on DPDT toggle. That should be fairly easy as I can solder all the wires to the switch at the workbench and connect to respective sources mechanically.

All this done by 1830 (6:30pm) and then to enjoy two bowls of homemade black-eye pea with collard greens soup for dinner and some telly before the missus returned from her dinner with the daughters at 2030.

Youngest dau, she who is declared legally blind, had an occupational therapy appointment yesterday morning. Wife and I went with her as we have learned the hard way that it is better to have at least two sets of ears hearing what medical professionals say, but only she was allowed back with her due to covid precautions. It is always emotionally hard for wife and I to confront just how bad her sight has become. But she is getting more and more help and remains fiercely independent. Hopefully within a year or so, she will be able to get a seeing eye dog. She would prefer a breed like a German Shepherd. Why you ask? Because it apparently is a thing that low-life scum who mug look at those using blind-canes as 'easy targets.' Now remember that I am in the "Fallen Human Nature" business, but hearing that really makes my blood boil.

Anyways - - busy day today. Dog to the vet and then to get my booster shot.

Steve J
Sad fact of life but yes a German shepherd is likely a good choice,hope she is not left waiting endlessly,do charities help with the dogs
Another thing if young female and attractive she wants that dog asap I would cite any incidents to those that make the decisions. while you can help make the house user friendly for when the dog is available,if push comes to shove I think the fundamentals can be taught to a normal dog,hopefully you won’t need to look into that.

edited, if she lives a lone a normal dog with a bit of training might be some good defence,very sad that we need to consider this,but the reality of life is better to be prepared, k assume she has a phone in her bedroom and a lock on her bedroom door.

Good morning all,

I would like two eggs over medium, 4 bacon, crispy hash browns (not greasy), and a cup of hot Italian Roast Coffee.

But I got the bowl of Wheat chex with the hot Italian Roast. Nearly as good.

Going to hit 30 today, we were supposed to get some snow but it missed us.

I found this photo of my last layout while deleting junk from a memory card, some of you probably remember it:

View attachment 138997

I still have some of the buildings.

Everyone have a great day,

Dave LASM
Excellent picture,nice weathering of buildings,like the back scene,nice rolling stock,the water tower looks shiny, do they make them like that nowadays, like the period vehicles,and the rocks to the left,and the break up of scenic ground looks really good,excellent model trees too,yes I could scoop up lots of that given half the chance lol.the swift sign is clean,it could be new sign,but it shines out like the water tower in an otherwise nicely weathered area.

Not for nothing, if you live on the streets, you have mental issues...

Most of these ideas, like mainstreaming the mentally ill, vs. institutionalizing them, come from well intentioned people, who are themselves isolated from the reality that the rest of us have to live in... PHDs, for instance have sequestered themselves into an academic environment, from the day they entered pre-K, until the time they retire. Their whole outlook is very different than mine. The biggest difference is that they can never be wrong, where people such as myself, are mostly wrong...For some reason, these folks solutions are more likely to be implemented than my solutions. No matter how unworkable they are...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Or how often they repeat the same tired not working solutions that they think look good on paper despite the obvious failures.

Good Morning All. Running late today. Got up and then went back an hour later and slept soundly for another hour. Mostly clear and 46°, although the south wind gives a wind chill of 41°. However that same south wind will warm us up to 75° later today before another cold front midday tomorrow. Ironically I have parts of the yard to mow here in mid-January today.

Really busy day yesterday, starting with household chores and then the trip to town. Wife's laser eye surgery went well. It was basically to remove scar tissue left over from the original cataract surgery done back in September. While she was in there, I went to the other side of town for a haircut and beard trim. I usually do my own beard, but I just felt lazy yesterday. Then we treated ourselves to Pizza before heading home to take a nap around 2:30ish. After that, I brought in firewood for the night, but ended up not having to start a fire anyway. Meanwhile I was starting a rack of baby-back ribs for supper and I received a phone call from brother #1 regarding the services for my late brother #3. Since he willed his body to science, the Catholic Church doesn't have an official Rosary and private wake. The rules for the Rosary are that there must be a body! So, we're going to skip the Rosary and go straight to the private adult only family celebration of life (the wake & a sit-down prime rib dinner) at a high rolling country club across the road from where Jim (and also my other two brothers) live. Expecting at least 28 cousins from out of town as well as 40 Dallas area siblings who honor me as the family's patriarch. That's already confirmed; there could be more out of town cousins. The Memorial Service will be the following day with a reception afterward at the same place with god knows how many family and church friends also in attendance. Of course the estate is picking up the tab which is currently estimated at ~$26K. Irish people like to party!

On tap today is to locate and try on my suit. I think that I know where it is! Last time that I wore it, I was 40 lbs heavier!

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday regarding my minuscule layout progress; Smudge, Joe, Karl, Gary, Tom O, Patrick, Louis, OB Ken, Hughie, Sherrel, Mikey, George, Steve J, Justin, Curt, Rick, Tom.

With all of the other activity yesterday, I didn't have much time in the train shed. I was able to at least spray the Antiques Barn with dull coat.
Back to the archives today. So how about some folks having issues on my layout. All is not nirvana on my layout.
02-23-19 010.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

01-26-19 013.JPG

05-28-20 015.JPG

Sherrel - Congratulations on finally being caught up on taxes. Now you can start on 2021! We got caught on the wife unemployment and no withholding back in '84. That was back when you could actually talk to someone at the IRS and I avoided the penalty by pointing out that I had already had enough withheld in the then current year. Still had to pay the back tax though to avoid a penalty in '85.
Joe - Fortunately the RR ROW's around here are rather free from any metal junk, as scavengers get most of it before it can get there. It mostly ends up on rural roads for a few days though. Along the RR's, it's mostly old tires which I have a few on my layout. Have you seen the recent pictures from LA showing the litter from thieves breaking into UPS and Amazon containers and removing the contents of packages?
1642513256528.png

Apparently they are just taking items of value and discarding the rest. LA cops are doing nothing, saying it's UP's problem. Maybe they should quit parking trains there!
Tom O - While I didn't see any of the Dallas/SF game, the local media is roasting the Cowboys pretty badly. It wasn't just poor officiating, but just a lousy game plan and terrible execution that cost them. That jives with my in-house analyst as well. It's been the opinion that Jerry Jones should have just given up the GM job back in the 90's when he pissed off Jimmy Johnson.
Patrick - It's a shame that you couldn't use the whole bridge, but the scaled down version is looking good.

Everybody have a great day. Stay warm and safe.

Fortunately the RR ROW's around here are rather free from any metal junk, as scavengers get most of it before it can get there. It mostly ends up on rural roads for a few days though. Along the RR's, it's mostly old tires which I have a few on my layout. Have you seen the recent pictures from LA showing the litter from thieves breaking into UPS and Amazon containers and removing the contents of packages?
1642513256528.png

Apparently they are just taking items of value and discarding the rest. LA cops are doing nothing, saying it's UP's problem. Maybe they should quit parking trains there!
I saw this a few days ago. I'm sorry, but a few "well placed" bullets would stop this nonsense. Everywhere. Just my opinion.

Put these wires on the house about 10 years ago. I haven't had any ice dams' problems since. They give the melting water a pathway to the gutters.

George: We had some bad ice dams and one year had water leaking into our house. Last winter ee had a roofer come out and he said we needed more roof ventilation and must add "under-soffit" vents. The vents on the roof itself were sufficient. He wanted $2,400 to do the job in Spring to add five vents. This fall we had a contractor install four vents for $200. When he cut the soffitt hole for the first vent he felt the rush of air.

Now all we need is some snow for a test.

Electric cable are great, but use a lot of electricity. Our neighbor cables on his roof to prevent ice dams and snow built up, but removed them when he got a new roof.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning driving Dad around for his errands. After lunch I added the freight house to the front office and the roof framing. It was very "fiddly". It took about 45 minutes to get everything correct (as far as I can tell) and now it needs to sit overnight and the glue dry. The freight doors will be added next. I would think it would be easier to do that flat, but the directions say to wait until todays work is complete.

Thank you for all the likes yesterday with my photos.

James- That is a neat idea.

Hughie- That's a shame but chances are your grandson won't remember the kit name.

Mikey- The things we do for our hobbies.

Jaz- Very nice figure painting. Do the double decker busses come in different colors other than red, or is the color whimsy on your part?

George- It's a vicious circle with money at the root of it.

Steve- Well done. Some days things fall our way!

Dave- Great looking scene.

Willie- Great scenes.

Dennis- Good luck with the kink. I had something similar on my last layout I ended pulling it all up, getting new flex track and centered a 3' piece at the apex of the curve and worked backwards on both sides from that piece. It would also help having a track laying tool the correct radius to slide between the rails to keep the radius constant throughout.

Sherrel- If you're buying ammo remember to get a second mortgage first. The cost of ammo is beyond ridiculous.

The length is 20" at this point. I believe the finished build is 26". There is a small platform and add on building that comes out of the left side.

20220118_130416.jpg

20220118_130433.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. Running late today. Got up and then went back an hour later and slept soundly for another hour. Mostly clear and 46°, although the south wind gives a wind chill of 41°. However that same south wind will warm us up to 75° later today before another cold front midday tomorrow. Ironically I have parts of the yard to mow here in mid-January today.

Really busy day yesterday, starting with household chores and then the trip to town. Wife's laser eye surgery went well. It was basically to remove scar tissue left over from the original cataract surgery done back in September. While she was in there, I went to the other side of town for a haircut and beard trim. I usually do my own beard, but I just felt lazy yesterday. Then we treated ourselves to Pizza before heading home to take a nap around 2:30ish. After that, I brought in firewood for the night, but ended up not having to start a fire anyway. Meanwhile I was starting a rack of baby-back ribs for supper and I received a phone call from brother #1 regarding the services for my late brother #3. Since he willed his body to science, the Catholic Church doesn't have an official Rosary and private wake. The rules for the Rosary are that there must be a body! So, we're going to skip the Rosary and go straight to the private adult only family celebration of life (the wake & a sit-down prime rib dinner) at a high rolling country club across the road from where Jim (and also my other two brothers) live. Expecting at least 28 cousins from out of town as well as 40 Dallas area siblings who honor me as the family's patriarch. That's already confirmed; there could be more out of town cousins. The Memorial Service will be the following day with a reception afterward at the same place with god knows how many family and church friends also in attendance. Of course the estate is picking up the tab which is currently estimated at ~$26K. Irish people like to party!

On tap today is to locate and try on my suit. I think that I know where it is! Last time that I wore it, I was 40 lbs heavier!

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday regarding my minuscule layout progress; Smudge, Joe, Karl, Gary, Tom O, Patrick, Louis, OB Ken, Hughie, Sherrel, Mikey, George, Steve J, Justin, Curt, Rick, Tom.

With all of the other activity yesterday, I didn't have much time in the train shed. I was able to at least spray the Antiques Barn with dull coat.
Back to the archives today. So how about some folks having issues on my layout. All is not nirvana on my layout.
View attachment 138999
View attachment 139000
View attachment 139002
View attachment 139004
View attachment 139006

Sherrel - Congratulations on finally being caught up on taxes. Now you can start on 2021! We got caught on the wife unemployment and no withholding back in '84. That was back when you could actually talk to someone at the IRS and I avoided the penalty by pointing out that I had already had enough withheld in the then current year. Still had to pay the back tax though to avoid a penalty in '85.
Joe - Fortunately the RR ROW's around here are rather free from any metal junk, as scavengers get most of it before it can get there. It mostly ends up on rural roads for a few days though. Along the RR's, it's mostly old tires which I have a few on my layout. Have you seen the recent pictures from LA showing the litter from thieves breaking into UPS and Amazon containers and removing the contents of packages?
View attachment 138992
Tom O - While I didn't see any of the Dallas/SF game, the local media is roasting the Cowboys pretty badly. It wasn't just poor officiating, but just a lousy game plan and terrible execution that cost them. That jives with my in-house analyst as well. It's been the opinion that Jerry Jones should have just given up the GM job back in the 90's when he pissed off Jimmy Johnson.
Patrick - It's a shame that you couldn't use the whole bridge, but the scaled down version is looking good.

Everybody have a great day. Stay warm and safe.
Beggars disbelief, railway police,that’s people goods, looks to be people in their 20s,that’s clearly a massive issue,do they make so much profit they can sit on those loses.

Have you seen the recent pictures from LA showing the litter from thieves breaking into UPS and Amazon containers
This has been a problem for a long time. Penn Central era, Diamond Street overpass on the Northeast Corridor...They used to roll old tires down the embankment, hoping they would separate the air hoses, and put the train into emergency. By the time the cops showed up to acc
ompany the crew,back to recouple the hoses and perform a brake test, they would have looted and run. RR Police even employed a helicopter. Once freight was rerouted via the LV and RDG, the problem went away. Similar problems in Baltimore, DC, Bayonne, NJ approaching Upper Bay Bridge, and Hoboken. Chicago and other seaports.

They are organized gangs of domestic criminals who are smart enough to know where ,when and what. Prosecutors, are not interested in persecuting crimes against property...they generally have other agendas going. Railroads pay out claims and write it off as small potatoes, because they don't want to hire and train enough cops...Railroad Police Officers are Commissioned Law Enforcement Officers...to handle the problem. Locals are too busy with their own maladjusted citizenry to worry about something that the DA will just bargain away or drop.

The fish stinks from the head...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back