Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning guys, 33 and light snow. We only got about an inch of slush last night, stayed above freezing!

THANKS for the comments on my truck.

Curt - sad to hear about your mom. Our brother in law was diagnosed with the same thing about a month ago, we are just now moving them into transitional housing, out of the condo on the golf course.

TomO - very nice loco photo

MORE nice photos all around.

Here is from the old layout. I burned some of the sticks for that affect. Also a Grizzly.

_MG_5606.jpg

more later, Dave

Morning.
It's gonna be another nice day in the sunshine - 26°F as I speak. A free day for me, as the wife is back to work on her planer mill shift. Perhaps I can find some joy in modeling this fine day.

An uneventful trip to the city yesterday; mostly, that is. We did see a pair of big, burly mall security men tormenting a wee little teenage girl for something, might have been shoplifting or not wearing a mask; who knows. In any event, there are too many cop wanna-be's who require considerably more people skills training.

I feel like a nice warm BLT with mayo and extra fried onion. Probably not good for me; but, whatever tastes good is never good for you. That's the little practical joke played on us when we were made.

Today's photos derive from a stop along the highway during the city trip yesterday. This is a sand and gravel proppant industry; the sand proppant product produced is added to fracking fluid used in the oil and gas industry.
I'm trying to photograph some interesting industries that I might be able to apply to a layout scenario, so I can get the illusion kind of right. No expert here, but, I believe this outfit crushes gravel to make the sand proppant.
This particular site is not served by rail; only trucks. However, this industry elsewhere is extensively served by rail, with Wayfinder Corp boasting access to 500 railcars for transport of the product.
Here's the photos, from 2 sides of the industry:
Pit1_01-14-2021.jpg

Pit2_01-14-2021.jpg

I believe such an industry would fit nicely onto a rail layout. - Just so you know, though, I am totally against fracking. I've seen a lake drain due to the effects of fracking. So I'm thinking gravel industry for the layout, not fracking.

Curt - I add my voice in prayer to others for the sake of mother.

Willie - I don't think I'd want to be planted in a cemetery in the industrial area. Guess I'm hoping for the eternal mountain view. - Thankyou for the daily photo spread; it is sweet to see every day.

Dave - Another great photo of the old layout. I would have missed the grizzly if you hadn't mentioned it. Just so you know, grizzlies arn't usually a dark brown color. Whatever color they come in, though, it's hard to miss them:
GrizzlySept2019.jpg

Have a great day, everyone!

Troy, maybe you should leave your soldiers as they are. Everybody knows you can’t shoot an unarmed man...
Well.... funny you should mention that. The Soviets did send unarmed troops out at bullet catchers. Or some units were underarmed. Just grab the rifle from the guy in front of you when he falls.

It's going to be a challenging force to play. :)

Morning fellers. I'm off work today as the misses has to go to the DMV today. Looking after the kids this morning. My hoppers came in yesterday. Started working on them yesterday. I started by filing and painting the cast metal frames the roundhouse cars come with. I do enjoy putting together kits. Should be seeing them on the layout before the end of the weekend. I also found something I had forgotten I had. Ken will enjoy this one. I found my Athearn BB GM50 locomotive. Stored in the back of a cabinet.
20210114_230934.jpg

I had forgotten I even had it. I may have to install the handrails and detail parts. Let it work the loadout some. Found a pic from the station platform of the small town I used to call home before I left for the Army. Pic was taken in Ronceverte, WV. Was home to the Allegheny pusher. Now that no longer exists. The passage of time and more efficient ways of doing things ended that. I can atleast say I rail fanned it quite a bit. Especially when it was a pair of SD40s.
20210115_110504.jpg

My favorite spot to railfan was on the bridge you see in the background to the right. That's all I have for now. I'll try to stop by later. Yall have a good day.

(Flings open the door!) Morning to all you railfans. FLO - If these yayhoos haven't eaten it all up - I would like a plate of biscuits and gravy with a double order of bacon on the side. No-thanks - just coffee this morning.

We are at 53 ° this morning with an 85 ° high in the plan which was yesterday's high as well.
I quickly read all the comments this morning and I'll be making a few after a while ... but I will start with this one: Willie, Spot on with the bathroom trips during the night .. Nothing makes any difference at all! Some nights maybe I go just a couple times - then a half dozen at others. It's frustration at it's finest!
AND - It does not make any difference if I have had nothing to drink after 3 or 4 in the evening (doctors suggestion), or had a gallon of soda pop at bedtime.
Before he passed, my father had a saying that I will never forget!
He said, "I spend 1/2 of my day trying to remember someone's name and the other half looking for a place to pee!"

I'll be back -

Good Morning all. Looks like a pretty nice, sunny day albeit on the cool side, 52.
Breakfast tacos please.
Thanks for the likes on the Pinkham pallet Co. That is my 2nd Bar Mills, a 3rd is on the way and a 4th in the offering.
Curt - We're adding you and your Mom to the prayer list.
Dave - Loved those trucks
Willie - great pics

Bathroom trips during the night - 0. I guess I was blessed with a large bladder as I seldom ever need to get up during the night.

STAY SAFE

LATER!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then got a haircut. Why is it every haircut I seem to get more grey? I think it's the Barber's fault. The only thing done in the train room today was to give the church exterior walls a white wash.

I would like to thank Willie, Phil, Dave LASM, Guy, Hughie, Sherrel, Garry, Joe, TomO, IB Ken, Tom, Karl, Patrick and anyone else I might of missed for the well wishes and prayers. You have no idea how much it means to me.

Karl- Believe me grandkids can be both.

Troy- I don't think I have seen that but I love the 2 part Gettysburg.

TomO- Stay warm in the snow.

Terry- Ouch, a Dad joke.

Willie- Nice photos. I especially like the church.

Dave LASM- Nice layout shot.

Guy- Interesting photos.

Justin- Nice photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Garry - I took two into my house during 9/11 and drove them to their families at the Maine border

Gary .... Apparently, you are one of the good people I was talking about. I think there are many stories that should be told about how Canadians kindly welcomed and assisted stranded travelers in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. Canadians deserve a lot of praise.

Willie .... More great stuff on your layout.

Curt...... You are welcome.

Tom O .... Nice photo of CN 9468 in the woods.

Dave LASM ..... I like your scene.

Dave- The truck turn out great.
TomO- Great photos as usually, I see a few CN engines here in WNY.
Guy- That grizzly looks it might have some polar bear dna. BTW any Bigfoot pics.🤔
GUY- Thats why they call them-"SILVER BACKS".

SHERREL- Did you get the two [2] "E"'s I sent you ??

It hit 72* by 1 p.m. Now down to 60 with light rain. Expect to hit42* by early a.m. but tomorrow down to 36*.

Phil

Happy Friday, Shop Dwellers! 43*F and raining here in central MD.

Thanks for all the likes and/or comments on my Thursday post - Joe, Hughie, Garry, Dave, Guy, Patrick, Karl, Tom-C, Sherrell, Tom-O, Justin, Phil.

Willie - I resemble that remark about the midnight bathroom trips <lol>! I don't drink any water after supper, except when I'm swallowing my bedtime medicines - and that's only a few gulps. Of course, something even worse than frequent trips is when I sleep a full 6 hours and wake up feeling like my bladder's gonna rupture...ouch!

. . .
Today's photos derive from a stop along the highway during the city trip yesterday. This is a sand and gravel proppant industry; the sand proppant product produced is added to fracking fluid used in the oil and gas industry.
I'm trying to photograph some interesting industries that I might be able to apply to a layout scenario, so I can get the illusion kind of right. No expert here, but, I believe this outfit crushes gravel to make the sand proppant.
This particular site is not served by rail; only trucks. However, this industry elsewhere is extensively served by rail, with Wayfinder Corp boasting access to 500 railcars for transport of the product.
Here's the photos, from 2 sides of the industry:
View attachment 123255
View attachment 123256
I believe such an industry would fit nicely onto a rail layout. - Just so you know, though, I am totally against fracking. I've seen a lake drain due to the effects of fracking. So I'm thinking gravel industry for the layout, not fracking.
. . .

Guy - the silos in your 2nd photo look like they were assembled straight out of a Cornerstone box, un-painted - they're so incredibly clean!

Tom-C - the detail on that Scale Trains ES44AC is really over the top! Sure wish they made locos for my road and era. Oh wait a minute, no I don't...I'd have to raid my IRA to get the money to pay for all of them! o_O

Good news: In spite of being shipped USPS, my Stewart F9A arrived here today in good condition - and I verified that it runs. 🤞

Bad news: I can't start working on the F9-to-F7 conversion tomorrow, because I have a snowblower that needs to be unpacked and assembled. Not sure how long that's gonna take, or if I'll have to make an unplanned trip to Ace HW to buy a replacement tool that I may have misplaced. Worst part though, is I'll have to do the assembly on my driveway in 42*F under a cloudy sky with an 8mph wind. I was hoping for another mild day (50*+ and calm) to tackle this, but the 10-day forecast shows daily temps just getting steadily colder and the chances of another nor'easter growing more likely. Fact is, this may be my last opportunity to get this machine ready before Mother Nature decides to bless my region with a heavy snowfall. Will drive to Hagerstown in the early morning to buy ethanol-free gas for it, then begin the assembly process after lunch.

Happy Friday, Shop Dwellers! 43*F and raining here in central MD.

Thanks for all the likes and/or comments on my Thursday post - Joe, Hughie, Garry, Dave, Guy, Patrick, Karl, Tom-C, Sherrell, Tom-O, Justin, Phil.

Willie - I resemble that remark about the midnight bathroom trips <lol>! I don't drink any water after supper, except when I'm swallowing my bedtime medicines - and that's only a few gulps. Of course, something even worse than frequent trips is when I sleep a full 6 hours and wake up feeling like my bladder's gonna rupture...ouch!

Guy - the silos in your 2nd photo look like they were assembled straight out of a Cornerstone box, un-painted - they're so incredibly clean!

Tom-C - the detail on that Scale Trains ES44AC is really over the top! Sure wish they made locos for my road and era. Oh wait a minute, no I don't...I'd have to raid my IRA to get the money to pay for all of them! o_O

Good news: In spite of being shipped USPS, my Stewart F9A arrived here today in good condition - and I verified that it runs. 🤞

Bad news: I can't start working on the F9-to-F7 conversion tomorrow, because I have a snowblower that needs to be unpacked and assembled. Not sure how long that's gonna take, or if I'll have to make an unplanned trip to Ace HW to buy a replacement tool that I may have misplaced. Worst part though, is I'll have to do the assembly on my driveway in 42*F under a cloudy sky with an 8mph wind. I was hoping for another mild day (50*+ and calm) to tackle this, but the 10-day forecast shows daily temps just getting steadily colder and the chances of another nor'easter growing more likely. Fact is, this may be my last opportunity to get this machine ready before Mother Nature decides to bless my region with a heavy snowfall. Will drive to Hagerstown in the early morning to buy ethanol-free gas for it, then begin the assembly process after lunch.
Ken, can you move your car out of the garage, and use the garage as an assembly area? Or is the garage filled with other things beside cars?

Good Morning All. Clear and 29° here. Upper 50's later today and then 60's for a few days. It's not expected to drop below freezing for at least the next ten days. The very strong winds finally died down around dusk yesterday and will not return today. It does begin to cloud up late today. Back at it outdoors today after a two day hiatus due to the wind. I've run out of stuff to do in the house, but I don't dare tell my wife.

Hello Francine. I'll take a pair of those brisket burritos this morning with a healthy side of spicy salsa to go with my OJ.

Thanks for all of those likes and comments yesterday regarding the layout tour pictures; Ash, Jerome, Phil, Karl, Dave, Garry, Tom O, Justin, Troy, Patrick, Hughie, Guy, Curt, Tom, Ken, Rick, Chad.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished dusting all of the targeted structures in this quarter's cleanup campaign. I also continued to paint some more figures. I got more than 30 done in the last two days. I put together the new laser-cut feed store that I purchased recently from Tim (twforeman),. Because of it's design, it can be assembled temporarily and I can place it in several locations to decide which one would be most appropriate.
Here's the first site that I looked at. I'll look at it again for another day before I move it elsewhere for a trial look.
IMG_5502.JPG

This is in my larger town of Gainesville. I didn't originally intend for it to be rail-served, there is a loading/unloading door on the back side that butts up to that rail spur, so I could add another spotting opportunity here. It would be my first shared spur (two industries) example on the layout
IMG_5503.JPG

In this part of the world, feed stores are common in just about any setting, such as this light industrial area. The only downside to this location is that there is another smaller feed store located nearby, but that is also not uncommon.
04-27-18 004.JPG

I am still scouting out locations for my next project while I run trains around the layout. I am not quite ready to start the new feed store yet, since it will require spray-painting outdoors. Besides the workbench is covered with figures in various stages of undress!

Troy -
Wife is taking a staycation week, which means we've been getting a lot of take-out.
One advantage of take out during this pandemic season is that there is no shortage of these.
1610803719431.jpeg

Just right for mixing paints, distributing ballast/ground foam or storing small parts.
Hughie- I envy you and your bladder!
Tom - While an ES44AC is far too new for my layout, that looks nice. I have been really impressed with the detail level from ScaleTrains. I have 4-SD40-2's, a pair of Dash9-44CW's and 3-SD45's from them on my roster. I'd love to see them do a four axle diesel someday that fits my era, something like a GP38-2 or a GP50.
That reminds me that I haven't gotten a newsletter from them lately. I guess that I should check out the spam settings on this new computer.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend if that applies.

Good morning from my little world in Wisconsin. We got a new covering of white last night. Not much and hoping it just melts as it is above freezing at 35 which is also the high for the day. The heat source called the sun, is going missing again today.

My BlackHawks played hockey last night, or so they think. This maybe a long season, they look so disorganized. I watched parts of 5 NHL games last night. Only Colorado stood out.

Imay take a break from the trains today.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Morning!
Going to be another beautiful day here in NW Alberta; 31°F @ 7:15am. I can still see stars in the dark sky, so it will be sunny to start the day.
It will all be downhill over the coming week, though. Next weekend, we are supposed to be in the -4°F range. Too cold to go ice-fishing.

Ken - That's probably due to the fact the installation is new. That Wayfinder Corp frack-sand industry was built on that site in 2019.

Guy- BTW any Bigfoot pics.🤔
Tom - I really don't think you want to see photographs of my ex-wife on this wonderful modeling forum.

I've been having trouble sleeping the last couple of days. Feeling a bit sluggish. So, I might nap off and on today; catch some warming rays through the window as I'm laying prone on the couch. - Other than that, I don't have big plans for the day.

Today, I'm going to share photos of an SD40 that was used as the resident switcher over the past summer. Some of these photos have been seen before. I chose to show them again so I can share the walk-around look:
SD40-2 (1).jpg

SD40-2 (2).jpg

SD40-2 (3).jpg

SD40-2 (4).jpg

SD40-2 (5).jpg

SD40-2 (6).jpg

Hope you enjoy seeing that type of prototype photos on a modeling site. I think they are better than showing dead fish laying on the ice.

Thank you for all the past likes on my simple posts. It dosen't seem to take much effort to post a few photos for the viewing pleasure of friends.

I'm tired. Gonna just sit back and enjoy my coffee; read the forum for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back