Running Bear's January 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news - The pharmacist SIL just called the Spousal Unit and told her that he would give us our Covid shots after store hours tomorrow.
He said it's like a zoo with everyone trying to get n at once!

I haven't taken any flu shots for the past two years because of prior ones damn near killing me, but I have to chance it with this one!

Good Afternoon all. Well it made it to 72. That's what I was referring to in an earlier post, you don't get climatized. It doesn't get cold and stay cold. You in the 30's one day and 70's the next. Big boy pants to shorts.
I think a malt and a cheeseburger will do me.
Well it's done! With the exception of a second coat on the oil tank. I'm pretty happy with the result, but I think I could have done better. Anyway,

STAY SAFE
LATER
Pickham - 5.jpg
Pickham - 6.jpg

Afternoon All,

No modeling today. I was there for Mom's video appointment. Although I was expecting it, she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. It takes the wind out of your sail to hear that. She will probably start treatment on Monday once the insurance signs off on it. She has never smoked a day in her life.

Curt ..... I'm very sorry to hear your news about your Mom. Prayers for her.

Evenin' Shop Dwellers, no time for a weather report tonite - this needs to be brief since it hurts my hand to use a mouse.

Joe - Sorry to hear about your cat's medical issues, hopefully you can figure out some way to get the medicine into her.

Curt - so sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis! 😲 Will add her to my prayer list.

Sherrell - glad to hear you'll be getting the vaccine soon. After all the medical s**t you've been thru, Covid is the very LAST thing you need!

I did do a teensy bit of mrr stuff on Tuesday afternoon - cut up the leftover Stewart F shell to get these forward porthole panels which will be grafted onto my Stewart F9 shell after a bit of surgery. I thought I could strip off the paint, but I forgot that this shell was originally factory-painted Pennsy Brunswick Green (almost black) and that stuff just wouldn't budge with denatured alcohol. Didn't want to risk any damage so I decided I'll just put some gray primer over it before applying the B&O paint:

TransplantPortholesForF9toF7conversion.jpg

According to the tracking history, the new model is sitting in the USPS distro center ~15 miles from my home. Wonder how long it'll stay there...[?]

Good morning gang
T.G.I.F!
Flo, how about another order of biscuits and gravy, yesterday's was soooo good!
Patrick, watch your mailbox, we'll see if the USPS has gotten any better lately.
Curt, we will add Mom to the prayer list.
Joe, I know how frustrating medicating a cat can be. I had 2 that needed daily meds. 1 got insulin shots, the other Xanax.
No trains last night, maybe tomorrow until the granddemons, oops,, grandangels come over.

So, it's Friday morning here in the dinner. Are we having B-fast this morning? I'll have a Bowl of Oat Meal this morning, Flo. The full breakfast I had the other day, bound me up Tighter than a Bull As_ is fly season! I guess when you reach 70 years old you really have to watch what you eat! What's the topic of discussion?

Morning all,

New day! Wife called me on the way to work this morning wanting to know if it was snowing. Apparently her trip to work was through a snow squall. With the temp above freezing, it isn't going to last.

Curt: Prayers for your mom.

Karl: I'll let you know when I get them. Thank you again.

Morning all... Drizzly and almost freezing in The Fort (NE Indiana)

Wife is taking a staycation week, which means we've been getting a lot of take-out. Today, she's heading to her sister's to help with caulking the bath. Messy work that I don't want to mess with. More power to them!

Haven't been MRRing this week - Sunday doing the plaster cloth was the best I could muster.

I did do some assembly on my first squad of Uncle Joe's Soviets for my WWII game.
They're mostly 'armless
Since the arms, and the weapons are seperate, those are a bit more challenging to assemble. I need a glass of whiskey at hand to tackle that chore.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 7.39.51 AM.png

Only 140-ish soldiers left to go... ;)

Also on the gaming front, I put in my order the the American Civil War miniatures that my favorite game company is releasing this month. So, I ordered the 25th anniversary DVD set of Ken Burns The Civil War documentary. Been working my way through it. There is commentary on each disk, which is interesting. Ken (usually- some others from the production too) gives added thoughts about why they shot what they did, or how they chose the narration for a part of the story.

With my background in News Photography, as well as the current career writing, it's illuminating about his method of storytelling.

And, you know... current events just seem to collide with the arrival of the DVDs, so I had to watch. Train time next week, I hope.
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 7.47.25 AM.png

Wife is taking a staycation week, which means we've been getting a lot of take-out. Today, she's heading to her sister's to help with caulking the bath. Messy work that I don't want to mess with. More power to them!

Haven't been MRRing this week - Sunday doing the plaster cloth was the best I could muster.

I did do some assembly on my first squad of Uncle Joe's Soviets for my WWII game.
They're mostly 'armless
Since the arms, and the weapons are seperate, those are a bit more challenging to assemble. I need a glass of whiskey at hand to tackle that chore.

View attachment 123237

Also on the gaming front, I put in my order the the American Civil War miniatures that my favorite game company is releasing this month. So, I ordered the 25th anniversary DVD set of Ken Burns The Civil War documentary. Been working my way through it. There is commentary on each disk, which is interesting. Ken (usually- some others from the production too) gives added thoughts about why they shot what they did, or how they chose the narration for a part of the story.

With my background in News Photography, as well as the current career writing, it's illuminating about his method of storytelling.

And, you know... current events just seem to collide with the arrival of the DVDs, so I had to watch. Train time next week, I hope.
View attachment 123238
I have to alert you to your ethical inaccuracy there Troy. Popcorn is reserved for watching the things you will view with a sense of disbelief.

Good morning from a fresh white 4” blanket of the falling stuff. The weather guessers are saying this falling stuff will be appearing on/off
into Sunday. Annoying it will mainly be as they say the totals might hit 6” and unless I didn’t understand before dinner yesterday that includes the 4 that fell over night.

Flo, I would like a vanilla malt, an English muffin with ham and melted Swiss with an order a crisp not burnt hash browns. Thanks

Experimenting started yesterday with the paints that finally showed up. I purchased a sky gray from Vallejo. The regular paint not the Air
and this maybe used on the headhouses in the grain complex. Today I will mix a few Air colors to see if I can match the regular so I can spray it. Have a great day.

TomO
D7678D8A-22EB-4181-97B2-A759A2C9BE5A.jpeg

They're mostly 'armless

View attachment 123237

View attachment 123238
Troy, maybe you should leave your soldiers as they are. Everybody knows you can’t shoot an unarmed man...

Good Morning World. Clear and 39° here in North Central Texas this fine morning. Still under that high wind advisory again today, yesterday afternoon they were mostly about 30 mph with gusts just over 40 mph. They dissipated overnight (to 15 mph) but will return for a while today. Interestingly, they are out of the NW but are not cold! They're warm cause they are a result of low pressure systems that are spun off by the La Niña out in the Pacific, that cross the continent a bit north of here as they head for Kansas, Missouri and the rest of the Midwest. So much for the weather today.
The temperatures made for a nice trip to the grocery store yesterday. Lots of pretty young women out buying groceries. Seems that the apparel of choice has switched over to Lululemon pants with matching face masks, although I didn't notice the face masks as much.

Just a steaming bowl of oatmeal this morning Flo. Well, OK. A side of bacon to go with it.

Thanks to all of my fellow Coffee Shop friends for the likes and comments on the layout tour; Karl, Justin, Sherrel, Patrick, Tom O, Rick, Guy, James, Jerome, Phil, Garry, Dave, Hughie, Curt, Tom, Gary, Ken.

Today is the final set of pictures from the quarterly layout clean up and tour. I won't bore you with the Charlottesville town pictures since I spent six weeks or more doing that in July-August. The last part is some more industries that are yet to be scenicked.
We first have Buffalo Industries, constructed with Pikestuff walls and roofs.
IMG_5496.JPG

Next to that is a fuel distributor kit from Walther's.
IMG_5497.JPG

Across the tracks is a small church and cemetery.
IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

Lastly is totally undeveloped area that is currently being used to store scenery materials.
IMG_5500.JPG

Patrick -
Downside of more water is the trips to the bathroom.....Don't ask me how I know... 🤣
But you're better off being properly hydrated.
It's something that you eventually get used to. Seems like my bladder (among other things) has shrunk as I aged! I would give up beer if it resulted in an uninterrupted eight hour sleep cycle. It doesn't, I have tried. Neither does abstaining from liquids during the afternoon.
Tom O -
Willie, what type of brushes are you using to paint the little people and while I am asking what paints?
I mainly use 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 liner brushes. Occasionally I use the same size round brushes for larger areas like jeans or dresses. My wife usually buys me sets of 12 from Amazon, and I always have extra of the larger ones. I use acrylics for most everything. I still have a reasonable stash of Polly Scale paints left. I have a large assortment of craft paints leftover from my kids, those commonly available at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Apple Barrel brand is one of them, but I have several different ones.
Boy, I wish that I had the patience/skill to build as many trees that you showed in yesterday's scenes. Nicely done.
Guy - Trackwork looks good.
Joe - Sorry to read about the kitty. Hope that you have good luck with the meds.
I agree that chores keep getting in the way of modeling for me as well. Wife is beginning to pick up some of the household stuff now that she has almost completely recovered from the back to back knee replacements. For me, the garden is looming in about two weeks or less, but I enjoy that immensely.
Dave - Thank you. I put a little more time into that scene to get it right. I have made many notes in a steno pad for similar improvements to other areas when I get inspired. For now I am just finishing up some small scenes here and there. Now if I could just find that notebook!
The truck is really coming along nicely.
Hughie - Very nice Pallet Company. I love Bar Mills kits.
Curt - Prayers for your Mom.
Troy - How can they be an army with no arms?

Everyone have a great Friday

Good morning everyone!
Shitty day yesterday....sore ribs from coughing so much this week (previous story....lol). Got into the shower to go to work....ran out of water.....grrrrrr, last week in the morning ran out and toilet didn't flush after taking a dump.....lol. Having ongoing issues with both my toilet seat valve not shutting off running the well dry. then sediment from the well pump causing the valve seats in my water softener to not properly seat running the pump dry again.......Murphy's law........lol

then my Internet went down.......wife and son working from home.....and other one doing University online.....

I took the day off......lol....yelled down to my son, did you reboot the system? yes i heard......the end of the day he tells me he rebooted his tv.....grrrrrr. Windows that we are replacing do not meet egress I also found out.....so lots to do.....lol. I worked on my allied rail builders wall and roof.....lol

Garry - I took two into my house during 9/11 and drove them to their families at the Maine border
PRR - next time you are in, stop by for a barbq (post COVID)...had many over for barbq over the years from American ships in port.....the 'good ole days'

Today is a much better day....lol,

Good morning everyone!
Shitty day yesterday....sore ribs from coughing so much this week (previous story....lol). Got into the shower to go to work....ran out of water.....grrrrrr, last week in the morning ran out and toilet didn't flush after taking a dump.....lol. Having ongoing issues with both my toilet seat valve not shutting off running the well dry. then sediment from the well pump causing the valve seats in my water softener to not properly seat running the pump dry again.......Murphy's law........lol

then my Internet went down.......wife and son working from home.....and other one doing University online.....

I took the day off......lol....yelled down to my son, did you reboot the system? yes i heard......the end of the day he tells me he rebooted his tv.....grrrrrr. Windows that we are replacing do not meet egress I also found out.....so lots to do.....lol. I worked on my allied rail builders wall and roof.....lol

Garry - I took two into my house during 9/11 and drove them to their families at the Maine border
PRR - next time you are in, stop by for a barbq (post COVID)...had many over for barbq over the years from American ships in port.....the 'good ole days'

Today is a much better day....lol,

At least now we know why Murphy hasn't been bothering Terry this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back