Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Interesting situation here. I use Ad Block Plus but I have this website whitelisted, so Bob can earn some revenue when I click on something. But I have never had a political ad here!:)

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 71° here in North Central Texas, where I can hear the grass growing from the five inch rainstorm Tuesday. 60% chance of more rain this morning, but right now the radar shows everything over east of here headed for Louisiana. Sunny day yesterday warmed the pool up to 83°, thus extending its potential usefulness this season. Happy to get in.
Another full day yesterday on the SFW estate. Grocery trek went almost without a hitch, but I forgot to write my wife's coffee on the list...I need that list otherwise I don't buy! Fortunately we're going back to town today for her two week progress check with the orthopedic surgeon, so I can get it then. My goodness, the young ladies at the grocery store looked mighty fine yesterday, a real feast for the eyes.;)
While she ain't dancing yet, my wife's recovery from the surgery has been remarkable this time compared to the other knee. I think that a good part of it is the fact that the left knee that was done last year is not dragging her down and can support things better. Once again, she thanks everyone here for the well wishes. :)

That corned beef hash that Patrick had yesterday looked good Flo, I'll take some with some OJ this morning if there's any left.

Thanks once again for the reactions and comments for the layout neighborhood pictures yesterday; Rick, Karl, Sherrel, Lee, Garry, Patrick, Tom O, Joe, Chad, Louis, Phil, Curt, Tom, Dave, Ken.

From the train shed yesterday, I remembered the manufacturer's of some of the homes that I posted. The white/blue one is Walther's Aunt Lucy's House, cats and residents are from Preiser. I painted the people and the cats were pre-painted. Flower pots were scratch-built.
The house next to it is a laser-cut structure from Branchline's Laser-Art series of structures, it's known as Albion House. Folks are from Woodland Scenics and the details came from my detail collection cabinet.
The next gray/white laser-cut structure is from American Model Builders, known as The Drinkwater Place.
The fourth one is another Walther's plastic kit called Lake Forest Cottage. It came with a bunch of detailing stuff that didn't quite fit this scene (beach umbrella etc.), so it will appear somewhere else eventually.
Since I once again didn't do any modeling due to time constraints, I'll continue with a few more homes from the other end of town.
Let's start with a Bar Mills laser-cut kit of Wicked Wanda's. Instead of using it as a bordello as intended, I have re-purposed as a rooming house.
09-03-20 008.JPG

The shed to the right is from Pikestuff, people barely visible on the lower porch were from Preiser and I scratchbuilt the propane tank.
Next door is a mobile home from a now defunct company called NuComp. I have about 8-10 of their trailers scattered about.
09-03-20 009.JPG

Next is 1/2 of a DPM Gold Series kit called Emery Lane.
09-03-20 010.JPG

Here's the family working in their vegetable garden on the side.
09-03-20 011.JPG

Figures are from Woodland Scenics, cornstalks are from Walther's and the rest of the garden was hand-built.
I don't yet know my plans for today regarding modeling, I need to make a couple of trees, a task that I don't always enjoy.

Sherrel - No I haven't given up on the pool yet, just musing.
I just hope that she doesn't get so pretty that she "dumps" me?
Beware of pool boys at MIL's house!
Troy - Your post yesterday caused me to do some research on Charles I. D. Looff. Interesting career he had.
Karl - I'm calling no fair. The VW video is not of a kit that needs assembly! Still pretty neat though.

Well, the long weekend starts for some today, myself included, wait...every day is a weekend for me! Everyone have a great day, an awesome weekend and be safe. Start up the grill or smoker and cook big hunks of red meat and drink plenty of cold beer to wash it down with. Just don't drink too many and let the meat burn!:mad::eek:o_O

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 71° to start our day. I got up much earlier and looked in and just saw Terry here at that time. Got bored reading some online news stories and went back to bed, somewhat unusual for me! Slept 90 minutes (!!!) more and now I am behind in my day. I need to take care of my wife for a while and I'll be back later.

Good Morning Everybody, again. Clouds have disappeared and temperature has risen to 74°. Once again the weatherman has missed the forecast for the last two days, predicting the non-existent thundershowers, thankfully since we didn't really need any more just yet. I'll do some preemptive mowing this morning after the dew dries away.
While out for my wife's doctor visit yesterday, which went well, we stopped by Sam's Club where I got all of my artificial body parts fixed. Got my glasses adjusted so they would quit falling off when I bent over, and had my hearing aids cleaned and some new "ear buds" installed so I now no longer have to "fish" the left one out of my ear when it comes off. I'm still not really used to having eyeglasses since I went 68 years without them. Now that things have settled down a bit here in Texas, I'll get the cataracts taken care of soon.

Make it ham and scrambled eggs for me this morning Flo. Toasted English Muffin and OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the additional residence pictures yesterday; Lee, Karl, Patrick, Sherrel, Garry, Chad, Rick, Chet, Tom O, Curt, Justin, Ken, Tom.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I started applying ground cover to the two structures to the south of the piggyback facility. No pictures yet. Made a couple of trees a well.
On the train front, but sitting in front of the computer yesterday. Last week I posted that I rediscovered a misplaced notebook with my freight car maintenance records from 1994-2003. I have been logging them into my maintenance database off and on lately. I noted how many covered hoppers that I had back then, and Troy's post of the other day regarding how many cars and engines we had came to mind. I checked the database and I have 150+ covered hoppers dedicated to grain traffic which is a major commodity on my railroad. There are additional ones dedicated to cement, sugar, sand, plastic pellets, fertilizer and other chemicals. I have eight grain elevators (ninth one is not yet built) distributed around my layout. So I thought that they would make a good subject matter for photo posting. Here's a few of them. Some of these have been posted before but these are all new pictures.
In the town of Budville there is a small one for Farmer's Grain Company, associated with Coop Feeds. This is a small town elevator that loads only one car at a time.
09-05-20 003.JPG

This is a styrene kit from American Model Builders, with a Rix grain bin.
Going south in Gainesville there is a large ADM facility that has two spurs holding eight cars apiece.
09-05-20 004.JPG

09-05-20 005.JPG

ADM is a combination of a Walther's elevator kit and Rix grain bins.
In the town of Graham, there is another Walther's kit for Valley Growers, along with the ever popular Rix bin to add capacity.
09-05-20 006.JPG

I'll pick up on some more tomorrow.

Garry - Happy Anniversary. Your wife is a lucky gal.
Chet - It seems that every time I see pictures and videos from your layout, I see many of the same structures that I have. We must have together kept Walther's in business over the years!;)
Mike - Sorry to read that you have to work Monday, at least you get overtime. I went to salaried in 1978 and didn't collect any darn overtime after that.:(

Are we entertaining Sherrel this week? Here's a couple from me. P2K gondola with Jaeger pipe load.
SLSF 61000.JPG

MDC Roundhouse boxcar.
SLSF 700268.JPG

Everybody have a great day.

I found time to work on the layout yesterday... procrastination/Writer's Block is good for that at least. Managed to get all of the OSB screwed onto the top of the benchwork. Had to fix the height of two sets of legs, and add bracing where I forgot that I'd have edges of the OSB falling. Most of that I could handle by gluing/screw scraps onto the next joist over.

Here she is in all her glory:

i-5hrdB72-L.jpg

i-9Ph3qN6-L.jpg

I also managed to string the 12 gauge main bus wire. Right now, I'm planning on using Ron's (Ron's trains and things) wiring method. Ordered everything I didn't have from allectronics.com and was only $10 away from free shipping. Darnit... add more terminal blocks... Oh, crap, I crossed the quantity-discount level, what else can I add... more wire!

Troy - I missed this post earlier today. Really nice start. At your pace, you'll have track and trains in no time.

Cucumbers are dead only canned 6 quarts this year because of this virus everybody was Hoarding up the Dill this year and mine didn’t far to well.Tomatoes did well my second picking is on if I can keep those Squirrels from eating them.
Lee - I didn't realize that you were also another gardener. Looks like the heat of August got to my tomato plants and I won't be having a second picking this year. But I had already canned 24 quarts of spaghetti sauce and six pints of salsa earlier in the spring. I had them all of the way up through July, and we ate the last remaining one about two weeks ago. The pepper plants, both bell and jalapeno all have survived and I may get a second round from them. I never had any luck with pickles so I gave up twenty years ago.
Here's a shot of some of the tomato harvest from 2017.
06-30-17 007.JPG

Needless to say, we were overwhelmed that year.

Lee - This was a good tomato year for me, but I didn't take any pictures of the harvest. Here's the tomato valley on May 23rd. Those on the right were planted two weeks before the ones on the left, March 29 versus April 11.
05-23-20 009.JPG

05-23-20 010.JPG

Those cages are 48" tall.
05-23-20 011.JPG

I backed off some this year with only 42 plants instead of my customary 60.

Chet - So bad manners and left coast politics aren't the only thing that Kalifornians are bringing to the great state of Montana. Hopefully the fires won't affect you.

Yes Raincoat2 that’s him he was from Springfield Mo.
Lee - Johnny bid us farewell, at least temporarily. Lots of things going on in his life. He and his wife Dena worked for a university and they had to start working from home last spring. They are planning retirement and were also looking for some property/house in Arkansas or East Texas. Going along with that, they were getting their current home ready for market. He dismantled his layout in preparation for that, and posted a few pictures a couple of months ago. He also had an extensive woodworking shop that he was having to deal with. He didn't indicate whether he was going to move it as well, or dispose of the equipment.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 70° in my backyard. Still dark though. Looks like summer is really over here, only 90° yesterday, and the next three days won't be much different. Then low 70's with a brisk north wind starting Wednesday, maybe more rain.

What's that Flo? Mel has a hangover this morning! Better make mine Corn Flakes, milk and a piece of toast. Oh! And let me have one of Troy's cinnamon rolls.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's grain elevator pictures; Tom O, Chet, Troy, Lee, Phil, Hughie, Sherrel, Curt, Tom, Justin, Ken, Karl, Joe, Garry.

Yesterday's adventure in the train shed included running trains, spreading ground cover and making two trees. I also caught up with reading MR which finally dried out after getting wet from the rain in the mailbox last Tuesday. No pictures from yesterday, but I am almost done with the ground cover in my targeted project area. I also prepared some traffic signs; paint is drying on the posts overnight before assembly today.
Let's continue with the tour of grain elevators on the layout. This next one is the last one on the lower level. It is also in the same town of Graham as the Valley Growers elevator from yesterday. Prairie Star Milling is another kit from Walther's, this one depicting a wooden elevator.
09-05-20 008.JPG

You may remember this one from a recent layout project that I posted.
Moving to the upper level is another Walter's kit, which I cannot recall the exact name of. I call it Lewiston Grain Coop, after the owner/operator.
09-05-20 001.JPG

Right next door is a small feed and seed dealer owned also by Mr. Lewiston.
09-05-20 002.JPG

It is part of the same Walther's kit.
Two more to go tomorrow. I don't like the pictures that I took and I am going to re-take them.

Joe -
I have two projects for the weekend, one, to consolidate some of my modeling notes
Wow! What a never ending project that would be for me!o_O I may even have some written on the wall.
Tom O - Jeans weather usually doesn't start here until late October. But there are many days in July/August when no clothes might be more comfortable!
Lee - Regarding the beans, Blue Lake are my "go to" beans here as well. Other than Topcrop, all others have not done well. Nice looking cucumber and tomato plants. What tomato varieties grow well for you in that part of the world?
Hughie - Condolences on the loss of another BIL. Congratulations on your progress in conquering the diabetes.
Chet - That looks like quite a productive garden from back then. Especially with your short growing season. That green bean harvest looked really nice and I am surprised that corn does that well in your locale. I often wonder if I am going to quit gardening. I enjoy it and it is good exercise for me. I can easily afford groceries from the store, but my stuff just tastes better. I do know that at some point, my body is going to start to tell me to spend more time in the train shed and less in the garden!;) I have scaled back from 3/4 acre to just 1/4 acre.
Garry -
It appears the economy is doing well with so many trucks on the highway hauling freight, and in Nashville where numerous large buildings are under construction with big tower cranes at work.
I have to agree with you on the economy. That's not what some politicians are telling us, but maybe I am not seeing the other side. Around here there are help wanted signs on every business.

Nothing really special about today. Keep safe, wear your mask in public, (so no one knows who you are!) and go to the church of your choice.
Everybody have a great day and keep those grills fired up.

Have any of you guys run a shelf layout. In particular, one without a continues loop. Did you, would you get bored? This is from a book about shelf layouts. I've added the extension with t he turntable, otherwise it's from the book. Layout name, St Antoine ser Mer.
View attachment 117001
Hughie - I run a shelf layout without continuous running, albeit much larger than this one. But I had all of the space that I needed. But I am primarily into switching. I get bored just watching trains run in circles, but that's just me. Many others feel differently. This layout looks like it offers plenty of switching opportunities. It has a bit of everything, storage/classification yard, run-around track, engine servicing facilities, turntable, and I count at least ten potential industry spurs. I am assuming that the two tracks coming off the turntable on the left side are engine storage tracks. It offers switching in both directions which makes for a whole lot more action. While it has a turntable to watch, there are no reverse loops anywhere, making wiring a lot easier.

Good Morning All. Clear and 72°, going up to 92° later today, a repeat of yesterday. Pretty active in here already this morning.
Resumed my summertime pastime of mowing parts of the yard yesterday. No wind so it was a good time to mow around the pool and avoid the mower ejaculate blowing into it for cleaning out later. At 50 GPM, the filter pump takes almost an hour and a half to circulate everything and doesn't get it all the first time. I mow some more today.

Eggs Benedict this morning Flo. It's a holiday!

Thanks guys for all of the likes and comments regarding the grain elevators; Sherrel, Louis, Phil, Lee, Chet, Joe, Ken, Curt, Justin, Chad, Guy, Tom.

Still just doing small tasks in the train shed with the newest project section. I installed traffic signs and applied more ground cover. That part is not easy, as that section is immediately in front of the window A/C and ground foam flies easily. I have to clamp a piece of plywood to the layout to block it. However, afterwards, the air flow dries the glue rather rapidly.
OK, the last two grain elevators coming up. I just posted the first one a couple of weeks ago when I upgraded it with signage. Its a styrene kit from American Model Builders, who are more well known for their laser-cut wood structures. This kit has since been re-issued in wood. I call it Red River Valley Feed and Seed
09-05-20 009.JPG

And lastly is Prairie Coop elevator. It is yet another kit from Walther's, whose name escapes me at the moment.
09-05-20 007.JPG

Right now it is on another of those unfinished segments of the layout. I have many industries like this that are just plopped down on their spurs to assure that they fit, and I can switch them, albeit without scenery or figures. Note that this one still has the capability of loading grain into boxcars with the lower spout. Management has just never removed it.

Joe -
There are others, who haven't worked since March, when Knucklehead shut the State down, and not everyone is getting paid. Businesses are realizing that they can get by with fewer people and smaller facilities, so that indicates portions of the economy are due to shrink, in the near future. Guess it depends on what one looks at.
I'll refrain from commenting too much as it might get political. There appears to be governors who don't really have a clue so they have kept everything shut down rather than reopening intelligently. Then you also have the politicians who don't believe the rules apply to them...on both sides of the aisle.
By the way, I am worse than a pack rat, I am a hoarder!
Lee - Celebrity tomatoes work well for me also. I mostly plant Early Girl with Celebrity being the second most popular.
Alan -
Here we go again! Wanna make someone's day really interesting? Send them a completely disassembled steam engine, and put EXTRA hardware in the baggie
Maddening but funny!
Chet - Yes, grain hauling is a big time operation on my layout.At peak harvest time, as many as 35 covered hoppers might be on rail spurs, while another 80 are in unit grain trains traversing the layout making things fun for local switching jobs. The rest are in yards or in mixed freights.
Lucky is the man who has such an excellent club to run trains at in addition to an excellent home layout. The closest model railroad club to me, while close at 30 miles away, is modular only, with no place to set up except at local shows and a Christmas display in a local mall.
I too have almost stopped purchasing any new model RR stuff, freight cars at least. I have been a sucker for some of the ScaleTrains locos though and have purchased nine of them. However I have found that I need quite a few more structures than I planned for prior to retirement.
Curt -
Willie- Nice grain mills. I had no idea you modeled so much of the grain industry.
Thanks Curt. Yep! I basically model generic flatlands with a lot of off-layout grain farmers. On the entire layout, I actually only have two industries that receive grain, an ethanol processor and an flour mill. However nothing goes directly to them. Everything goes to staging/classification yards first.
Hughie
I just have a concern about getting bored in time once you memorize all the moves. Maybe I'm not looking at it the right way.
That's the beauty of having ten industries to switch like that layout. Just switch two or three per session, vary the way you stage the cars so it isn't repetitious, and set out at some industries and pick up at others. Another trick is to have industries that use a variety of cars. A printer for example might receive ink in tankers, bulk paper rolls in high cube boxcars and ship out in regular boxcars. Lumber yards might receive lumber on flatcars and bricks in boxcars. Leave a car, empty or full, on a spur or the runaround track so you have to move it on the next session.

Besides being Labor Day here in the states, today is National Beer Lovers Day. I'll include myself in that category. It does seem like we have a lot of different "National Beer xxxxx" Days. I'm not complaining, but I don't really need a commemorative day for that hobby!

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 75° this fine morning. Cool front coming tomorrow with a high of only 78° in the forecast.
Running a bit behind today, wife wanted breakfast a lot earlier than normal.
Prepared a brisket yesterday, after spare ribs Sunday, and they were both delicious. Tonight is leftover homemade Salmon patties with my extra special homemade tartar sauce. It's really too bad that my wife doesn't like me using the Salmon skin in the patties, it can be a bitch to remove it.

Loads of bacon this morning Flo, and a couple of sunny side up eggs with whole wheat toast for me.

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments yesterday regarding the last of the grain elevators; Garry, Sherrel, Guy, Lee, Jerome, Hughie, Rick, Jerry, Karl, Chet, Phil, Curt, Tom, James.

While I made a bit more progress out in the train shed yesterday, I mainly ran trains while waiting for glue and paint to dry. That led to just running trains! ;) Nearly done with the current project with the piggyback ramps and the two industries to the south. The tenements on the other side of the track are on hold until I can sort through figures, vehicles, and detail parts like trash cans and dumpsters. I also am just not presently in the mood for adding interiors to the large white apartment building in the scene just yet. I need a rainy day to search some out on the Internet that I can print.
I am still mulling over what to do with the large blank area on the north side of the piggyback yard, there's about two square feet between it and the existing brewery. I'd like to put another rail-served industry there, switch is in place but not fastened down yet, but I don't have an appropriate one to use. I have boxes full of DPM and Pikestuff modular walls, but my imagination is stalled right now.
So how about a couple more residential pictures. First is a Walther's kit that I think is called Our House.
09-03-20 007.001.JPG

That's me in the rocker, my wife complaining about something, and my granddaughter and her dog. Eventually this will be part of a beach scene, (my wife loves the beach), in a remote but highly visible part of the layout. Unfortunately that section is most likely going to be the last section developed. I already have a bag full of Gulf Shores sand to use with it. But right now, there's no wall behind it, just insulation and electrical wiring until I eventually add an outside outlet before covering it up.
Here is a cardstock farmhouse. Note the drive in theater to the right across the tracks. Still need to paint the backdrop here.
09-03-20 006.JPG

Garry - I love your country park scene. While I have seen parts of it before, I don't believe I saw the entire scene until yesterday. Do you remember where the green picnic tables and the stone grills came from?
Jerome - Welcome back.
Hughie - The cold front is a little unusual this time around. It will begin with winds and thunderstorms out of the east before dawn tomorrow, then the wind will shift from the north just after sunset. Our low is still going to be in the mid-60's, but by Friday our highs are only going to be in the 80's for the foreseeable future.
Joe - I am confused by governors who allow political demonstrations to allow freedom of speech, but do not allow church services which are also freedom of speech; albeit less violent.
You build your layout like I do. While I had a rough drawing of the benchwork, most of the trackplan was in my mind and was worked out on the benchwork as I went along.
Guy - Wow! 198 photos to fill your reference library. Knowing you, you probably got a lot of very interesting stuff.
Troy - OK, I model in HO and don't know enough about the physics involved with N scale so I can't advise you too much. However I shudder whenever I see or hear of any layout using 3% grade. I know that it can be done, easily if you have the right situation; but throwing curves into the mix can make it tricky. If it was me, I might lower the overall height to reduce the grade and see if I could fit in 15" curves instead of the 13". Other N scalers might know more than I.
Sherrel - I was wondering how close that party fire was to you. I had read that it was a gender reveal party, not a transgender party. Gender reveal parties are where a pregnant mother reveals the gender of the fetus.

Today is National Ampersand Day, or CAP-7 on your keyboard. There is a commemorative day for just about anything these days.
Everybody have a great day.

If you want a scenic drive that is also a lot of fun with a bike or sports car, try US 129 near Deal's Gap, in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
No fun anymore since they reduced the speed limit from 55 mph to 30 mph! We used to take side trips down there when we used to go to the Bristol Motor Speedway years ago. Both before and after the speed limit change.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 69° in this part of the world. The cool front has sort of arrived, the wind is out of the north at a paltry 5 mph. Rain shower formed just north of here and is moving north, away from us. Temperature should go up to 75° before dropping all afternoon to a low of 60° overnight. Not much of a cool front! By Friday, we'll be back into the 80's. Right now it is raining over a wide area about 50 miles west, extending all the way across Oklahoma into Patrick's backyard.
Special day today in the SFW home. It's our 48th wedding anniversary! And I remember that my father told me it wouldn't last! Needless to say, we will not be going out dancing tonight for a variety of reasons, mainly surgery recovery.

Good morning there Flo. Make it a pair of over easy eggs with a big stack of sausage patties and a toasted English Muffin for me this morning. Save me a cinnamon roll if Troy makes it back here with any.

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's post; Garry, Guy, Tom O, Phil, Jerome, Lee, Patrick, Justin, Karl, Sherrel, Tom, Hughie.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I took a couple of pictures of my nearly completed (as far as I intend to go for now) project area.
First a shot of the two industries on the south side of the piggyback yard.
09-09-20 001.001.JPG

A close up of Ginette's Organic Foods distribution center
09-09-20 002.001.JPG

Next to it is Stephen's Grocery Distributor.
09-09-20 003.001.JPG

Both of these are Walther's kits, renamed from their original names.
Here's a shot of the large tenement apartment that I need to add interiors to.
09-09-20 004.001.JPG

And an overall shot from a different aisle that shows the undeveloped area under the pencil. Suggestions welcome.
09-09-20 005.JPG

By the way, that apartment building is a kitbashed kit from Model Tech Studios. I am not sure if they still manufacture it.

Lee - Nice work on the truck.
Tom O - Good news regarding the recovery and gradual resumption of normal life. 300 trees! I don't envy you, I hate making trees.
Garry - Thanks for the information.
Dave (railBuilder Dhd) - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Looks like you already know your way around.
Tom H - Thanks for coming back. Excellent modeling on the covered hoppers. We need you to stop in more often to keep Sherrel in line.
Karl - I am looking forward to seeing your progress on that GP40.
Troy - Nice progress. Looks like you can fit a siding or two in the loop on the left for industries to switch. You will be much happier with the grade reduction. Best wishes on the doctor visit.
Jerry - You seem to have gotten some of Sherrel's weather, wind storm and nearby wild fire.
Sherrel - I guess that the wealth tax is going to hit you pretty hard! ;) Let's see, green energy, rolling blackouts, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, wealth tax, highest state income tax in US, (Note: None here in Texas), Gavin Newsom, excessive heat waves. Sure makes me want to move out there! Yea to that! :eek:

Sobering trivia. Here is a picture of my pool, a 24' diameter x 52" tall above ground monstrosity.
09-09-20 008.JPG

This thing holds 14,000 gallons of water. That's 112000 pounds or 56 tons. 56 tons! That's in an area about the size of my living room!

Everyone have a great day.

Back