Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to show everyone there is still a bit of Alco and WM heritage still working real freight in westernmost Maryland.
Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
1548514623386.png

George's Creek Railways T6 #101 switching their part of the Verso Paper Mill complex in Luke, MD.... 25 January 2019
Tim Wilson‎ - Western Maryland Railway Company

Goo morning Everyone..................-13 last night and a another snowstorm on its way for the weekend with 6+ inches of snow followed by record cold temperatures. At our up north cabin next weekend is our annual Fishing Jamboree, but with record cold coming I think the event will be postponed for a week.

Going to work on cleaning up some more wiring. Then this afternoon like I promised, is movie afternoon with the Mrs. Yesterday I ordered a new cow sound module, a bit more expensive than I remembered, but people enjoy the sound effects of hearing the cows. I have the Broadway Limited stock car with sound effects which I forget I have all the time.

I have a collection of Kadee box cars that are in their jewel boxes and I need to get them out and run them. Nice detail and fun to watch at slow speeds pulled by a Milwaukee ALCO with sound and a Milwaukee Transfer caboose. I don't know if the trucks with springs are necessary for running models.

Mark: I purchased a Varney Dockside locomotive at a LHS years ago and it was in mint condition and in its original box. I think I paid $50 for the locomotive and it ran very badly and I sold it to co-worker for the price I paid. He knew it didn't run well, but he collected locomotives and had hundreds of them, but never had a layout. He had mostly BB locomotives that he assembled with Kadee couplers.

Louis: Nice photograph of the ALCO.

Tomorrow we need to venture out for some supplies and I make just go to Walthers for modeling supplies for next weekend when its going to record cold. The coldest I've been outside was -35 degree temperatures., but hunted at -25 below when I was 21....DUMB!

Got to run.

Greg

###########################

Last edited:
Morning it is! 7:30 am at 43 degrees going to 77 today ... yesterday was something else - short sleeve shirt - first really decent day since before Christmas. Everything is green on all the pastures,hills, and mountains ... almost a shame that in about three months they will all turn brown again.

I managed to get out and find a couple neused tires for the truck. Two tires installed and out the door for $90 and one of them was brand new never on the ground (that's all he had in my size). The last few years the truck only gets used between 3 and 5 thousand miles a year .. I just hope that it will sneak by the smog check again this year. Stopped at the pet store and picked up a sack of food for them and next door at Sprouts Grocery I grabbed some potatoes, apples, eggplant, a small steak, head of lettuce, some tomatoes, and a bottle of wine. The doggies decided that they would pass on the eggplant, but they certainly did not turn down the bite of steak that I saved for them.

Charlie - the Bishon/Poodle gets a haircut this morning from one of the SIL who does dog grooming - unfortunately she charges me almost full price - YIEKS!

About 5 years ago I sold a basket case John English 0-4-0 with slopeback tender. It was missing a couple pieces of valve gear and I don't know if it ran or not. I forget where I came by it, but must have had it for like 40 years.
I was flabbergasted when it was bid up to $60 on the Bey!

Louis - That pic you put up of the "new"cobblestone street looked terrible? That would be impossible to ride a bike on? They still use stone overseas in city streets, but thet are unbelieabley smooth. If they have to dig up for work - they are able to put them back just as smooth as before - certainly not the rough patching that happens around here.

Louis - That pic you put up of the "new"cobblestone street looked terrible? That would be impossible to ride a bike on? They still use stone overseas in city streets, but thet are unbelieabley smooth. If they have to dig up for work - they are able to put them back just as smooth as before - certainly not the rough patching that happens around here.
Sherrel, it's even worse than it looks to drive on! I think it is intentionally rough, It is a high dollar residential area, houses and hi-rise condos, It sure does keep speeds down.

We should open a wheel alignment and suspension shop near by.

Sherrel: In Milwaukee, Wisconsin Avenue is what would be considered the main street of the city and runs downtown. This street is riddled with potholes and repairs and is a disgrace to the City of Milwaukee's image. But, the Mayor pushed through the funding for the limited route run modern street car in spite of all the repairs badly required for the city's streets.

1548520345998.png

You would think in a vintage city like Milwaukee with all its historic buildings, the Street Car would be more turn of the century in design, not like a space ship coming down the street!

Greg

Last edited:
About 5 years ago I sold a basket case John English 0-4-0 with slopeback tender. It was missing a couple pieces of valve gear and I don't know if it ran or not. I forget where I came by it, but must have had it for like 40 years.
I was flabbergasted when it was bid up to $60 on the Bey!

Sherrel, I'm not surprised. Those John English "Yardbirds" have a following. There used to be a guy who actually specialized in parts for John English trains, Mantua, Bowser amd other diecast HO trains. http://yardbirdtrains.com/ Dan has since retired, and has been selling off his inventory of parts ever since. He was a godsend to me when a certain Mantua Pacific of mine ate the floor!

Well just got the announcement from Scale Trains,their new loco is the Dash 9.A lot of mixed reviews,the live chat produced as many questions on the AC4400 as did the Dash 9.
One good thing they answered my question on the SD40-2 in Chessie System,they said they were going to do a second run which will include CSX patch units.I better start stock up my train fund.:)

Well just got the announcement from Scale Trains,their new loco is the Dash 9.A lot of mixed reviews,the live chat produced as many questions on the AC4400 as did the Dash 9.
One good thing they answered my question on the SD40-2 in Chessie System,they said they were going to do a second run which will include CSX patch units.I better start stock up my train fund.:)

That was your question? I was listening as well. I loved Shane's smirk when they asked about the AC4400s. Its pretty much a lock we will see them in the future from them.

That was your question? I was listening as well. I loved Shane's smirk when they asked about the AC4400s. Its pretty much a lock we will see them in the future from them.
It was the last question he answered.
He really didn't say yes or no on the AC4400 so I'll have to wait and see.

Afternoon All,

Still dealing with a cold so I haven't accomplished much of anything today.

Louis- Great pictures.

Willie- Thank you. That's a great steel worker scene.

Greg- Thank you.

Sherrel- I'm glad you're wife had a great time on her trip.

Terry- That really blows with the computers.

Garry- Thank you. Losing mental facilities is what worries me most about getting older.

Chet- Thank you.

Karl- That's a great family photo. Yes, they do grow up fast. I can't believe my oldest will be 40 in a couple of weeks.

I hope everyone has a good day.

I will between the tooling on the Dash 9 and the Gevo they can crank out the AC4400 like crazy.

Yep, and I would order a slew of them too! I pretty excited for this announcement too. I have wanted a couple of Dash9s. I did order the one in BNSF paint this morning that's available for sale now. Hopefully will see that Thurs, or Fri. The way it sounded it will have the new LocSound V5 decoder in it already.

Yep, and I would order a slew of them too! I pretty excited for this announcement too. I have wanted a couple of Dash9s. I did order the one in BNSF paint this morning that's available for sale now. Hopefully will see that Thurs, or Fri. The way it sounded it will have the new LocSound V5 decoder in it already.
ONE,two go nicer.:)

Good evening, everybody ..

Greg.... Actually, the new Milwaukee street car is appropriate because it looks like a huge bratwurst. .... LOL

Karl ... I remember dealing with Yardbird Trains when I resorted some Mantua 4-6-2's and 2-8-2's several years ago. I purchased rpeacemnt valve gears and other parts. Time flies; I no longer have those locomotives.

Willie, Curt, and others who expressed concern for my MIL.... Thanks.... Her meningitis had been life-threatening, but we are glad that is improving. She is in a nursing hie now. Not sure if mental capabilities will come back. ... We are headed to Nashville again tomorrow t see her.

Louis .... Looks like that old Alco switcher is still working hard.

Have a nice evening, everyone.

Good late Saturday evening fellow track gang members.

Hi Flo, Francine, how about some coffee I had a nice bowl of chili.

Weather wise it was still cool today but somewhat warmer with the low being 36°F with a high of 66°, currently it's 49°F with humidity of 51%.

Earlier this evening I let my cat out the front door and heard the sauaking of the Canidan Geese that stop and rest for a day or two on a pond across the way as it's on their migration flight path as the head North. So that signals the end of the really cold weather and start of spring fairly soon !

I can also rember using the old tube tester both for the television and a one tube radio I built many years ago .

It's been a long day so I'm going call it a night.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday

a one tube radio I built many years ago .
I did that too, that's where I learned to solder small components, although they were much larger than pretty much anything we work with in model trains today. I lost interest when they replaced the tubes with those funny 3 legged things. I liked to watch the filament flicker. Looked like something was actually happening.

I don't have an AC4400, but I do have a SD40-2 Chessie, Lionel O scale.
1548576883575.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back