Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1548675668766.png

B&O Caboose 3718., eastbound freight, Halethrope, MD, 1974. Bill Howes photo.

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 32.
I'm heading in early to stop at the tire store and get a new set of tires for the car. The only thing the tires on it have in commen with each other is the letter "Z". As in "uzed". Two of the tires are older than the car, and one dates to the beginning of 2008.

Winter storm Jaden stopped by last evening and dropped another 6-8 inches on us. However, Jaden kept the over night temps. from bottoming out So, I'm only mildly cold at -3 degrees. Barometer is Two Niner point eight three. wind out of the East North East at 6 mph and the sky is Clear.

The National Weather Service must of felt sorry for us p here in the Great White North! You know everyone needs to be treated equally! So, now we can have Named Storms, too! Never been visited by a named storm before. I think the main part of the storm went south of us. Today's predictions are for a high of maybe +2 degrees, then we are heading for -20s to -30 degrees below until, until Friday morning. So, we'll be battening down for a while.

The trip to Duluth was great, didn't need to Visit Carr's Hobby Shop as I didn't really need to get anything. Visited a few Brew Pubs, instead! Had a great time and good to see my summer time friends, this time of year!! Have a good'un and stay warm!

Last edited by a moderator:
9 pm and 7°F; 4 to 8 " expected in the next 12 hours, plus flurries on Tuesday (Tuesday's expected high is -2°F). I'll have to be out in it, taking a sick cat to the vet.

Compared to a sick family member, a sick cat is small potatos; still...
For people like me, a pet is a family member. I suspect you have similar feelings to be braving that kind weather.

I hope your cat is feeling better. Be safe in the bad weather, Godspeed.

Good Morning All. 40° and clear in this part of the world. Not quite as warm today as yesterday with high winds out of the north arriving around noon. Yesterday was another tee-shirt day at 61°, sunny and no wind. Spent most of the day running errands after church. I hate going grocery shopping on Sunday, too crowded. Daughter brought the granddog up yesterday for an extended stay-over while her kitchen and dining room gets remodeled. Complete gutting along with a couple of days of jack-hammering out tile that was cemented in.
Not a lot to report from the train shed yesterday. It was a short day out there so I only ran trains. I did take some pictures. First, one for Louis who commented on this vehicle a couple of days ago.

01-26-19 002.JPG

Here's one of the new project area after the roads went in and I tentatively located the structures. Pay no attention to the clutter across the tracks!
01-27-19 001.JPG

I still need to name this town. Now a close up of Jacks, a structure that is probably my most favorite one on the layout. Some of you might remember this one from last spring when I posted a few build pictures here.
01-27-19 002.JPG

Looks like this model will require some glue to hold the base flat!

Sherrel -
Also meant to add that your "building under construction" -- the site is too clean ... needs lots of "clutter" and "supplies" laying around!
It's on the project list. I already have some construction fencing that's over on the workbench awaiting paint, and while it can't be seen from that angle, there are some sawhorses and lumber in front of the construction shed. I also have an empty dumpster on the workbench waiting for weathering and some stuff to put into it.
Greg -
Looks like like or no work on the layout today. The room temperature is 64 degree in spite of the basement...
64° ain't bad! As long as I don't need long sleeves, I'll work on the layout when the room is down to about 58°. Lower than that and I just run trains. The train shed is more geared to hot weather, with the A/C keeping it below 76° most of the time. I have two pitiful heaters but they are not needed much.
Beady - Today is National Lego Day, a day meant just for you.

Thanks to all for keeping your snow close to home.
Everyone have a great day.

Good morning, y'all. 28° and cloudy. Our cat is a family member, I would also brave the weather to get her to the vets.

Willie: Nice photos, "Jacks" looks like it belongs where you placed it.

Boris

Evidence shows global warming is more than a hoax perpetrated by China.

The polar ice caps have melted faster in last 20 years than in the last 10,000. A comprehensive satellite study confirms that the melting ice caps are raising sea levels at an accelerating rate.

Human-induced global warming is real, according to a recent U.S. survey based on the opinions of 3,146 scientists.

I imagine the people on the coast line of southern Florida agree
1548678994338.png

As well as those who live or lived on Islands in the Chesapeake that have or are disappearing.
1548679007668.png

I do worry how ignoring global warming will impact my grandchildren.

Bruette, I would never have guessed that you would have believed in Global Warming! Welcome to the club!

Bruette, I would never have guessed that you would have believed in Global Warming! Welcome to the club!
I believe in global warming, but I don't believe in forcibly reducing the earth's population to 500 million, and go back to sticks and clubs to stop it.

Good morning everyone. I'll have a big mug of java and a couple of jelly doughnuts, please, Francine. 45 and cloudy out there, and that's the last time we're gonna see temps in the 40s for a week or so. Forecast is for bitter cold this week, down into single digits with wind chills well below zero. For this part of the country, that's brutal. No more jokes for Chet about getting Montana to shut its south door!! Talk about building a wall along our southern border - - I think we need one along the Canadian border, not to stop people from going back and forth but to stop the winter winds from coming our way. :p Think Trump would go for that?? But then the US ski resorts would hate me!! Can't win for losing!!

MOH is doing really well there in Illinois, albeit really cold!! Her first week of radiation is done, on to the second week.

Meanwhile, I've been spending some quality time with my trains. Ran them for several hours over the weekend. Last night got all set to do some scenicating when I noticed I was all out of Mod Podge, which I use as base glue for grass and dirt. So my evening was sunk - have to stop at Wally World today and get some.

Have a good day everyone.

I believe in global warming, but I don't believe in forcibly reducing the earth's population to 500 million, and go back to sticks and clubs to stop it.

Agreed! Especially considering the geological evidence that this warming and cooling is cyclical. Remember back in the early 70's they were predicting another ice age?? It is not solely cased by mans activities.

O.K., I will change what I've stated to: I believe that Global warming is Fact, even though the Weather Underground stated that my temperature this morning was -3, when it actually was closer to -18, when I actually went out to shovel snow!

Good morning, everybody ....

Terry ... I was sad when I read your post. I wish I could somehow make things better for you and your wife. .... In your post about tires, it is good you are getting rid of old tires because old rubber is dangerous.

Sherrel and Willie. .... Thanks for commenting on my MIL .... We saw here yesterday in Nashville. She has a long recovery ahead of her if she recovers. It was her birthday yesterday, and we (the family) actually got her to smile a little for a moment, and it was good to see that. Most of the time she was sleeping however. ....

Sherrel asked about my friend here who has cancer. The cancer of esophagus was treated with aggressive surgery last year. Now he has lymphoma which is not curable. However, he is able to do things for now. We pick him up at home to take him to the weekly lunch with model train guys.

Louis .... I like the B&O photos.

Willie .... Your "Jacks" building has character. I like it.

Johnny .... Sounds like a good report about Dena. Prayers continue.

Agreed! Especially considering the geological evidence that this warming and cooling is cyclical. Remember back in the early 70's they were predicting another ice age?? It is not solely cased by mans activities.

Karl .... Yes.... Weather has been going up and down for thousands of years. . Some cycles last for centuries. ... Just because there was an upward trend in warmth for the past 100 years does not mean we can automatically assume the trend will contuse for the next 100 years.

Well! State government in the entire lower peninsula has been cancelled for today. I'd be very surprised if much is happening in the upper peninsula, either. Essentially, the entire state is shut down, except for plowing and emergency services. Temps are slowly climbing; this means heavier snow is still coming.

Our cat is getting inpatient treatment for a blocked urinary tract. They'll be inserting a catheter under anesthesia sometime today, and seeing what happens as a result, tomorrow. Could take anywhere from two to eight days, depending. It'll be expensive, but it's treatable. Fortunately, there are so many vets around town (including the MSU veterinary school), that their prices are pretty competitive.

Good morning. Checking in quickly. 14 degrees to start off the day.

The tournament last weekend was a killer for me. We did take 4th place in team and 2nd place in doubles. The problem was that we had to bowl 12 games on Saturday, My arthritic right arm did't like it at all. After 9 gamesIwe thought we were done for the day. I had put all of my equipment away when they told us we had another three games to do. By the 12th game, I was lucky to get the ball from one end of the lane to the other. Have an appointment Friday with the orthopedic surgeon to see if something can be done. Getting old sure is a bi**h. The right arm has kept me from doing some of the work I would like to do on the layout.

The weather was interesting yesterday. Got up to 48 degrees and we had sunshine, a few periods of rain and a dusting of snow after sunset.

Jim
- that Pullman car is beautiful.

Terry - It is sad to hear the situation you are in.

Greg - Get out the shovel.

Willie - Really like the layout photos. Thumb up.gif Keep them coming.

Hope to get to visit the train room some time today. Haven't been down there in a week.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Train-Tracks.jpg

Later

BEEn up for almost 4 hours, but haven't accomplished much except watching my stocks slide into oblivion!
Going to be 76 today they say. There is a few high scattered clouds around -- mostly sunny though.

Willie: You could add a little "dirt" around the Jack's building. Most of the earth is not entirely flat!
It's an awesome build - as well as everything I see there.

Beady - Sorry about the kitty. I hope that it will be fine? Everything at a VET seems really out of line nowdays.
They are in a race with the Dentist to the bank.

Garry - Thanks for the updates on everyone .. prayers for all that HIS will be done!

Terry - Prayers and daily thoughts over your trials! I have been giving some thought as to my own demise and starting to think about "lighting up" on lots of "stuff" that I don't need or know that I will not use anymore.

Global Warming? Sure .. WE cause some of it ... Every person that adds to the population, every new house with a roof, every new street and highway we add contributes to a warming trend. Can "WE" do anything about it - unlikely, unless a billion or two people cease to exist. We are told that someday the earth will be consumed by fire ... maybe all this is just a prelude?

Please hold until I don my flak jacket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back