Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis
the local tv/radio parts shop had one of those tube testers, when I was a kid. To have one now, would be a great addition to my man-cave!

I remember a tube-tester in Reads.

I read somewhere a few audiophiles are using tube amplifiers again. If so there is probably a tube-tester or two available somewhere.

Good morning..... It was 17F an hour ago.

Gary P ..... Brrrrrrrrr ....... that is cold ......

Louis ... The cartoon is hilarious ! ! ! ... LOL .... The photo of the electric locomotive is very interesting.

Willie .... Your staging yard is packed. .... Maybe you need to expand some more.

Boris .... I think you will be happy with your new E7. .... I have a pair of BLI E7's, and they never have problems. In fact, those E7's were featured in MR's Trackside Photos a while ago.

Mark .... The Plasticville freight house fits in well in your scene.

Below is the only Plasticville building on my layout. It is the switch tower which I modified slightly and painted. I changed the stairs and added a few details.

36598485262_f6d4bc02f3_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone....right now the temperature climbed to a nice -6 below zero with cold winter chill factors. Not as cold as Mark in Minnesota, but still cold never the less.

When I worked at a nursery and landscape contractor during my high school and college years, the facilities had a 6 foot and 6 foot well house that during winter was heated with a 100 watt incandescent lamp. The exterior wooded sides of the pump house were covered with hay bales for insulation. Only a single, small window was not covered so we could see into the pump to make sure the lamp was burning. It was sort of my job to check the lamp when I walked to my car after work and the nursery superintendent work check on it on weekends. The entire project depended on that pump house for water. If the lamp failed and the water system froze it would of been an expensive repair job.

Today a train day since tomorrow I promised the Mrs. that we'll watch movies in the afternoon.

Louis: Like the photograph of the tube tester. I still have my Dad's vacuum tube tester that he built from a kit in the 1950's. He was a popular guy in the neighborhood when people's televisions didn't work and call my Dad to test the tubes. If he didn't have a spare tube, the local drugstore had a rack of common replacement tubes. I have a radio from the 1930's that stopped working so I bet its a bad tube that failed and someday I'll test all the tubes and find the bad one. I miss playing that old radio, it had great sound for a electronic device that's over 80 years old.

I'll have to show the tube tester to my nephew who's 30 and an electrical engineer and I bet he has hasn't seen an old tube tester in person.

My little 70 Ton Bachmann switcher is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday. I didn't know it was a Bachmann Spectrum Model. Break in time for the critter on Thursday. At least a hour of run time in both directions at various speeds.

First project today is to find out why the cow sound effects stopped working after I rewired the terminals near the module. Maybe a rewire job, but test it first with temporary wiring.

That's all for right now.

Keep warm.

Greg

####################

LED Street Poles.JPG

No name town on the CM&NR. The pulpwood car in the far background is sitting in the SOO yard, a small four track switching yard off the main line. A Woodland Scenic's pool hall and tobacco shop has been since added to the town beyond the wood building.

Last edited:
he freight house is a Plasticville kit, by Bachmann. It is totally stock, no changes!

Mark: Looks great, I would never have guessed Plasticville, I thought it was scratchbuilt.

Boris they redid many of the cobblestone streets around the new high-rise condominiums on the east side water front of the Baltimore harbor from President street as far east as fells point. They use them to control speeds as well as aesthetic reasons.
They look like this if it helps.

Louis: Perfect, thank you. Excellent example, now to match the colors. Damn those houses are small, eh?

Boris .... I think you will be happy with your new E7. .... I have a pair of BLI E7's, and they never have problems. In fact, those E7's were featured in MR's Trackside Photos a while ago.
[/I]

Garry: That's great news. I plan on using it to pull 3 or 4 P70 coaches. Based on the trains running from Bay Head to South Amboy on the NY&LB. or the Broker which ran from Bay head to Jersey City. Nice work on your Bachmann Interlocking Tower. I had a similar one in O/S. Back in the 50s,

Bachmann was a Philadelphia based company that manufactured buildings for S and O gauge train layouts, later they moved into HO also. Their simple structures were based on actual structures found in around Philadelphia and Jersey. For instance, the Turnpike Toll Booth looked just like the toll booths on the Jersey turnpike. The grocery store resembled the local Acme Supermarkets, the Signal bridges resembled PRR signal bridges. The homes, were similar to suburban homes then being developed. Later on they began to produce imported entry level train sets in HO and N, and other products. Ultimately, they sold out, but their US address is still the Philadelphia location.

Boris

Louis: Perfect, thank you. Excellent example, now to match the colors. Damn those houses are small, eh?

I'm glad to be of service.

You won't believe how much those little houses sell for these days! Some of them are almost a half a million! Millennials are crazy, but hey, the city can surly use the tax revenue!

Just to add to what Boris said about Bachmann Trains...they were sold to a Chinese company and now they are registered in Bermuda and have their global headquarters in Hong Kong with the US headquarters in Philadelphia.

Greg

Good Afternoon All,

Worked several hours on the kit. It looks like it's almost complete but I estimate I still have 15-20 hours left on the build. I've been keeping track of the hours on this build and I am at 30.5 hours. Still fighting a cold that my wife shared with me.

Mike- You beat me to asking Louis about a bid.:)

Garry- Nice layout shot. I hope your MIL is still doing good.

Johnny- I also hope your wife is doing well.

Greg- Nice layout shot. I find it interesting that a 100W bulb is enough to keep the pipe from freezing.

Sherrel- Thank you. I'm always grateful that I'm not in CA!:D

Toot- I'm glad your family is OK.

Cambria- Nice looking cars.

CA Dave- Thank you. The kit did not come with working channels for the door. The manufacturer's site just has the hinges glued to the wall. I added the fake ones just to make it look more realistic.

NP2626- Now that's cold. Nice little freight house.

Louis- Interesting electric loco.

Now to give Louis a run for his money:oops:

20190125_112451-2016x980.jpg

20190125_112512-2016x980.jpg

20190125_112530-2016x980.jpg

20190125_112543-2016x980.jpg

20190125_113617-2016x980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt:

The 100 watt lamp really did keep the pump house's interior tempertaure above freezing even when the temperature was below zero outside. In fact, it was always nice and warm in the building with the hay bale insulation. A thermometer kept track of the temperature in the building.

Our cabin's pump house measures only 4 X 6 feet in size and I insulated the interior using two inch dense foam boards. A 40 watt light bulb will keep the interior at or above 45 degrees. I used a 130 volt rated lamp. A key factor is that there can't be any cold drafts coming into the structure!

The only draw back is if the single the lamp burns out. Some people use two lamps in case a single lamp would burn out.

Nice work on the kit!!!

Greg

NOT Complaining - but it's 75* here today and very sunny. Thinking about laying out and getting some sun on these white legs this afternoon.

Terry - and here I thought the computer grimlin was living here!

Willie -- I know from looking at your photos that I missed so much -just was not there long enough?
Next time - You better be prepared for me "camping out" in your yard for several days! That should scare the hell out of you - LOL.

MARK - That is an outstanding little structure! Excellent! Enjoy your trip and stay thawed! I lived and worked in those temps before, so it is not foreign to my understanding.

GREG - My father used to leave a bulb on in the hen house on colder days, and a very small gas heater in our "wash house" where potatoes and canned veggies were kept. Natural gas came from the oil well heads and was free to all the company people living close.

Have to spend this afternoon getting a couple newesed tires for my p/u. Actually "bumping" as I drive because one of them is seperating. Mechanic told me last time he worked on it that I shouldn't drive on the freeway until fixed, I sort of ignored him until I actually saw the tread seperating.
My Spousal Unit is back at her mom's duty this weekend trying to make up some of the $ that she spent on her trip.
The Four of them really had about the most fantastic trip she has ever been on. She said that the most inspiring portion was the trip to Normandy and Omaha Beach. She is having a hard time adjusting back to Stateside Time.

Sherrel, in the space of two hours two computers suffered failures. My Dell desktop suffered a motherboard failure. Then I pulled my Samsung laptop out of its bag, and it would not boot. The laptop is on its way back to Samsungland for repairs, and Dell is supposed to contact me tonight about the desktop. This is the 6th failure of that computer in10 weeks.

Howdy ...

One of our two furnaces stopped working this morning. A bearing failed in the exhaust blower. It is a propane fired furnace that vents through a pipe out the side of the house. So, one end of the house will be cooler until the new blower arrives Tuesday.

Curt ... Your building project is coming along nicely. ... Thanks for asking about my MIL. In addition to previous conditions, she had a bad case of shingles. That lead to viral meningitis. She improved enough to be moved to a nursing home. Up until a month ago her mind was as sharp as a tack. Now her mental capabilities are seriously impacted . Hoping that improves. Sad.

Joe... That sounds like a very nice passenger train you are putting together.

Louis ... How much are you bidding for that locomotive?

Greg ... I like the scene in your photo.

Good Afternoon Everyone..............still cold, but sunny.

Worked this afternoon on locating the problem with the cow sound module. Found a broken power wire to the modlue and resoldred the wire. The module "Mooed" once and quite, so I ordered a new module.

Did find that when using phone cable solid wire, be sure not cut into the wire when stripping off the insulation. Found out I did this on several power leads using telephone cable wiring

I need to find a wire stripper that will handle this fine wire.

Back to trains in the morning tomorrow.

Garry:
Thanks for the compliment on the photo.

Greg

Good afternoon. Been busy that past couple of days. With the addition 5 inches of snow we got, the driveway was starting to get narrow with the berm of snow plowed up so I got the snow blower out and was able to reclaim 3to 4 feet of bear ground on either side of the driveway. We have our city bowling tournament this Saturday and Sunday so it was my turn to not only get the groceries and beer, but to clean house and do the launder as we won't be home much over the weekend.

Terry - A raise is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Don't tear up the new truck.

Greg - Nice photos. I haven't seen the train room since last weekend.

Curt
- The siding really looks good. The building is coming along nicely. Nice work.

Ray
- Hope things work out for your son and daughter in law. We had a serious wild fire in Northern California that took out over 1,800 homes and pretty near wiped out an entire town.

Joe
- Sorry. Must have been a senior moment. I have them from time to time.

Garry P
- Keep it up there. I know how it feels and I don't like it.

Louis
- Nice photos. I actually have a tube tester. Most of my Ham equipment was built years ago and are use vacuum tubes. when I was in the Navy, they were going to throw it overboard when we were heading to Philly to put the ship in the yard for an overhaul. Got clearance from the old man to save it. Also have a lot of hand tool that were going to get the deep six.

Gotta get out of here and put clothes in the dryer.

See ya Monday.

I was slightly mistaken about the Plasticville Freight House, window glazing was added, which doesn't come in the kit. When I drove home from church this morning the temperature continued dropping down to -37. It was brisk!

Good evening gang, not much to report here new, the weather is actually tolerable with daytime highs in the low 40s. However they're warning of a big polar vortex to come creeping in next week. Oh joy.
Exploring our options for the upcoming honeymoon in Colorado, it seems the more we look the more we find to do.
FB_IMG_1546607492337.jpg

Recently celebrated this ones 22nd birthday. Where has the time gone!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back