Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ranges are about 40 miles away. Since this is a monthly occurrence, you would think these people would remember their environment...
Same with Pendleton -- every time the guns go boom -- there are a hundred posts on the local "internet talk" site of -- What was that?, anyone hear that loud boom?, why are the helicopters flying over my house?
Seems people are clueless - downright sad!

Morning folks,

Almost up to 32 and clear sky. I finally found my "missplaced" folder of Baldwin builders photo prints yesterday after wasting a good chunk of two days looking for them. In the "train" bookcase, of course------ I ran them all through the scanner, along with a bunch of detail B&W photos of Polson/Rayonier No 45 I took in the 80's. I bought those builder photo prints from Broadbelt back in the early 70's someplace.
53430081432_0cc058c7d3_b.jpg

I'm another without any really close neighbors. There are three places off the Forest Service access road about a 1/4 mile to the south and a couple more a half mile to the west/north. But only mountains to the east and no roads until you are on the other side of the divide. The closet approach of civilization from that direction is probably the top of the Schlasman lift at Bridger Bowl which terminates on the ridge about 2 miles to the northeast.

I have a bit of a mix for neighbors-a couple that would give you the shirt off their back if needed, several that are just part time residents who feel absolutely no need to talk to the natives, and, of course, a couple of A holes. My other "hobby" is old Jeeps (read pre AMC era starting in 1972) and one of the neighbors is sort of into those. None that I'm aware of have a railroad hobby addiction.

If it has an orange highlighted screen with a funny icon those are hosted by Salesforce and as soon as you unsubscribe from one they subscribe you to another. And they have an IP address on Salesforce for each one. I block each IP as I find it as I control the server. But it keeps coming.

mostly financial with a conservative bent. But I get bombarded with spam from both sides. I constantly get spam and requests for donations “from” the current WH occupant or other big name Democrat leadership. Or in the name of some famous Hollywood personality shilling for them.
Chad: Don't know what your MTA is but there might be a file something like Sendmail's access ( access.db ) that allows you to block/reject via domain name. Makes it easier than dealing with spammers that have some sort of CIDR block with many SMTP server's.

Mine in part looks like:
incorp.com ERROR:1.1.1.550 'User Unknown'
inveni.com ERROR:550 "User Unknown" also seems to work.

You can also block a specific user and allow others:
spammer@incorp.com ERROR as above
anybodyelse@incorp.com comes through

Maybe this will help?

Later

I've watched some of the videos of the stop oil protesters in Europe blocking the streets. Thats a wild scene!
Somewhere, there's a video from London where some gentlemen quietly remonstrates with protestors and explains that as most of their clothing were also made from oil bi-products if they were serious, they should change into something more suitable, at which point he gave them each a sackcloth, strangely they refused.😂
But it might have something to do with it being 25f at the time.

Chad: Don't know what your MTA is but there might be a file something like Sendmail's access ( access.db ) that allows you to block/reject via domain name. Makes it easier than dealing with spammers that have some sort of CIDR block with many SMTP server's.

Mine in part looks like:
incorp.com ERROR:1.1.1.550 'User Unknown'
inveni.com ERROR:550 "User Unknown" also seems to work.

You can also block a specific user and allow others:
spammer@incorp.com ERROR as above
anybodyelse@incorp.com comes through

Maybe this will help?

Later
Yeah I have all of that sort of thing set up.

I block by IP for certain sorts (ones where they might be running multiple domains off one IP or where I want to track where it’s coming from). I can also block by netblock so depending on where an Arin lookup tells me the spam is coming from I sometimes add the whole netblock in instead of the individual address (think China or a Russia or Eastern Europe based spams but also certain US based offenders).

I also have domain name blocks and have a section I can add individuals to. That last I usually use spamassassin for and add them to the naughty list there.

I use exim

Good afternoon all. It is 1.15pm, dark and icy cold rain swirling in the breeze before touching the ground.

There is a little joy in the street. An unpopular neighbour is selling their house. They moved into the area and nothing seems to suit them. The trees in the village should be cut down. The leaves from the trees are blowing onto their property? The road vehicles carrying timber (lumber) should be diverted away from the village.. Just some of the things they dislike.

We hope they sell their house quickly.

Lunch to make. Back later.
Sounds like your typical "village idiots"😆

Long weekend, have a friend coming over later. Meanwhile i'm working on the railroad. Fixing a bunch of freight cars; kadee couplers, including shimming, new wheel sets where needed. Also had to put a bunch of weight in the "prairie", since it was too light for even two car freight coming up on secondary line grade.
IMG_20231230_111629048.jpg
IMG_20231230_112456669.jpg
IMG_20231230_111829178.jpg

Right now i'm working on repainting that Roundhouse caboose from Conrail, into Lehigh and New England colors.
IMG_20231230_130139543.jpg
IMG_20231230_130147076.jpg

I picked up this semi red/vermilion looking spray in Lowes last night and it's very pleasant on the eyes:
IMG_20231230_130208157.jpg

Caboose itself is not exact model of anything L&NE had. Looks like a mix of Pennsy N5/N5a and "Northeastern" type which the railroad actually had. I'll fit in the numbering in missing slot which L&NE had in their caboose numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back