Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are several photos. I'm done with the project until after the first of the year. The gondola photo is just to show the diesel and generator. When on the future flat they will be chained down. I have more workers and detail parts that I'll put in when I finish the project. Unfortunately, the chain hoists I built are oversized.:(

View attachment 177976

View attachment 177977

View attachment 177978

View attachment 177979
Curt looks like a project I did years ago. Opening the doors on a diesel. I not sure why you decided to model this but when I was a hostler in Brewster NY and later at Harmon NY. When an engine was spotted on the fueling pad all the doors would be opened and the various trades would check things out.
Swal

Deisel_fueling_640_480_12_12_23.jpg

Funny about American Express is when I was working I carried 3 cards, my own card and 1 from the business and rarely had issues using American Express. I also carried a personal Mastercard debit card. The week we left North Central Wisconsin after retirement and traveled that 1st month I had issues in St. Louis. North Platte and Seattle. That is when I decided I was done with American Express. I could travel the world on business and use it but not everywhere in the US!

TomO
Don't leave home without it?

Good evening. 36°, cloudy, WSW wind 5 MPH. Dropping to 30°, and clearing overnight. 45° and sunny tomorrow.

I pretty much spent the day on the computer, although I did get my alternate day exercise regimen in. I actually increased reps and worked up a little sweat.

Maple Leafs beat the Rangers 7-3 at the worlds most overrated arena.

Hot breaking news, is that the Washington Caps owners, (Monumental), are going to build a new arena complex at what used to be Potomac Yard. Ted Leonsis, Monumental CEO, said he hopes to be playing in Alexandria by the 2028 - 2029 Season. Monumental's other team, the Wizzards will also move from their current Chinatown Location.
A large portion of the Fan base lives in Northern Virginia...Will the Washington Football Team follow?

OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW!

I suspect you said more colorful words than those.

OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW! OW! Ow! OW!
I was quite subdued. Because of the numbness I didn't think I had done much damage. That is until I sat behind the wheel and noticed the blood. I reached for a paper towel to remove the excess blood. Then I cleaned it up with hand sanitizer and got a good look at it. My reaction was "that is going to hurt". I wrapped it up tight and went on with my day. An hour or two later I thought to myself "yep, it hurts".

My wife's reaction to the injured finger was different than mine. She wanted me to go to the hospital. No way was I putting us through that! Although I did like the idea of showing them my middle finger. "Look I got a boo boo"

It's now swollen and black and blue. The cut is closed, and I can type with it now. It's going to be fine. I didn't have to waste hours having a doctor tell me "It's going to be fine".

My left hand is all but useless, making me dependent on my right hand. It is surprising how much the injured finger impacted my day. My shoulders, hips and back were more sore than usual, and they decided four hours of sleep was enough. It's going to be a long day but as Larry the Cable Guy would say we will "get er done", just like yesterday.

Now I'm going to set up our new tripod for the phone. I have one, I put it somewhere less than two weeks ago, but I can't find it! So, I ordered another from Amazon that arrived less than 20 hours later. The new one has a Bluetooth remote, works with our digital camera and cell phones. Best of all it cost less than $20!

This is my 8th holiday season with Amazon (Peak Season as Amazon calls it.) I have never delivered anything to myself. With over 60,000 packages delivered by me and all we buy from Amazon I would think I would have delivered at least one to our house.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 49°, clouds expected to last all day and partly cloudy until Sunday. Rain is still in the forecast for Friday; it's now 100% chance all morning. Other than the rain Friday, it's a pleasant 10 day forecast, not one that David wants to read about.

My neighbor Bubba, returned my tiller yesterday in fine running condition. He had to unstick a butterfly valve in the carburetor and flush out the fuel line. I had run it completely out of gasoline last spring before storing it for the summer and used what I thought was fresh gas a couple of months ago when I started and ran it for a few minutes. But he said that it was either very old or very bad gasoline which caused things to clog and stick. I ran it through about 80% of the garden at a 4" depth just to get started. I hit my self-imposed 45 minute limit on arduous tasks, so I will finish today, and add a 3" layer of shredded leaves and then go to the full 8" depth. Tomorrow afternoon, I will pile on a layer of aged wood chips, some wood ashes and a layer of compost and do it again. It will be good until spring after that. It's actually going rather well, after two years of adding the leaves, wood chips, compost, spoiled hay and grass clippings that in turn rot and make my clay soil real easy to work with; and it fertilizes it as well. The tiller is capable of going the full 8" on the first pass, but I would rather go twice. I really need my other neighbor to load up a trailer load of sheep/goat manure and bring it down, but lately he's been using it on his own hay field.

In other happenings, the rack of baby back ribs that I fixed for supper last night was especially good and tasty. I opened my second to last jar of home-canned green beans from 2022 to go with it. The oppressive heat last summer cut short my season, so I was only able to eat them fresh without preserving any. I still have about two dozen onions from last spring that we are using. I picked them in May, so that's 7 months now. I moved them to the warmth of the train shed 6 weeks ago to keep them from sprouting in the cooler temperatures.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I basically finished up the Beverly Hillbillies truck. Crappy pictures though. I painstakingly painted the two kerosene lanterns and added the broken steering wheel back in. I did some touch up as well.
IMG_1089.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

I will get better pictures today. I will also examine it for any additional touch up paint improvements. I want to look in my details cabinet to see if there are any other appropriate detail items that I might want to add. I will also do some more painting with the figures as well as the two white-metal figures that came with the cemetery kit.

Tom O - Even when I followed the NFL up until about 2005, I always watched with the sound off. Starting around that time, players' egos started getting in the way, on-field and off. A good example is the simple spike of the ball after the touchdown gave way to these outrageous, obviously rehearsed dance routines. That and the celebrations after one made a tackle, (isn't that what they are paid to do?) or a catch, got to be too much for me. I did more train modeling in all of that time gained. Political statements came much later, but that just cemented the wisdom of my decision.
Curt - I am considering using some unpainted seated figures for the Beverly Hillbillies truck. One character that was not included in the set is Pearl Bodine, Jethro's mom and Jed's cousin; played by Bea Benaderet. She played in the first couple of seasons before Benaderet passed away. She was the actual occupant of the rocking chair on top; Grannie (Jed's MIL) and Ellie May sat in the back seat. The chair on top was removed after a few episodes as I recall.
Louis - Ouch!

Trivia - Have you noticed that the sunsets have been getting later in the evening? It's a phenomenon known as "analemma". Even though the days are still getting shorter, the sunsets have been getting later since last Friday. the sunrises are later as well with the latest sunrise usually about January 4th. So even though December 21 or 22 is the shortest day of the year, it is not the earliest sunset or the latest sunrise.

Today is my granddaughter's 9th birthday. It is also the birthday of a couple of totally polar opposite musicians. Ted Nugent is 75 and Taylor Swift is 34. She is a lot prettier than he is, but neither is as pretty as my granddaughter.

Everyone have a wonderful Wednesday.

Good afternoon Diners. Afternoon tea with sandwiches and cream scone please, Flo

A pleasant surprise today. A visit of an old friend (Lynn). We have been friends since taking our children to the same nursery school. Her children played with ours through school and beyond.

Her son died young; her husband (Dave) died shortly after, leaving a daughter to bring up. We have remained friends through good time and not so good. Lynn had been in hospital and it was a great, pleasant surprise as she knocked on our door looking so well. Early afternoon tea was called for.

Good morning gang!

Frost on the truck this morning at 32° on the dash. High temp of 44° with a big orange ball in the sky.

Willie, hope your granddaughter has a happy birthday. It is also the birthday of my crazy redheaded ex wife. I hate to say it but I hope she chokes on her cake!

Louis, your finger must be a sight! Take care of yourself. We dont heal up like we used too!

BBL

Good morning from the Left Coast. I watched local news on TV because I was bored and killing time before dinner last night. No way could I live in California, sorry Sherrel!

Pebble Beach is an iconic golf venue and deserving of being called that. This place is beautiful and while this is my third trip here, I have only been here in the Fall.

Slept well the last 2 nights but still woke up at 6am, unfortunately being in California it was 4am!!! The temperature did not reach 60f degrees yesterday but the weather app says 61 today. That wind off the water was brutal yesterday, chilling to the bones. It’s supposed to be calm winds today so hopefully it will seem warm.

WILLIE, Happy Birthday to the granddaughter

enjoy the day

Funny about American Express is when I was working I carried 3 cards, my own card and 1 from the business and rarely had issues using American Express. I also carried a personal Mastercard debit card. The week we left North Central Wisconsin after retirement and traveled that 1st month I had issues in St. Louis. North Platte and Seattle. That is when I decided I was done with American Express. I could travel the world on business and use it but not everywhere in the US!

TomO
I carried one for years for business travel both in the US and overseas. Now and then I would find a place that didn't accept them here in the US. It was usually a small business, and the reason was the fee structure to the business accepting the card. My current employer doesn't issue a business card. I use my personal card and they are really good about fast reimbursement. I do carry a Delta Skymiles AMEX card, but it's not a true AMEX Green or Gold card, it's a credit card where you can carry a balance if you want to.

I like the idea - I have my sons original old HO engine that is 30+ years old that long ago gave up the ghost and for sentimental reasons didn't want to trash it - this sounds like a great way to keep it on the layout. Might even add the sounds of an engine sputtering and stumbling trying to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back