Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from California where it is not real warm. 45f degrees heading to maybe 60. I don’t enjoy bundling up for golf but I will this morning. The views are spectacular at Pebble Beach and this will be my 3rd time on this course.

I tried to watch the Packer/Giant game but then remembered why I have issues watching the NFL. Per the announcers eveyone is a super star or will be. The referees make calls because the replay will correct them. No one knows what a penalty is, even the refs. But #1 for me is the announcers never ever shut up! The 1/2 time show with Chris Berman was totally amateurish. I am sorry Chris about your wife passing and you needing something to do in your retirement but you are even worst now then you were in your terrible prime years…

Back to watching the NFL with the sound off, but I was with a Crew last night…

Good Morning Internet Peeps,

Well here she is. I still have to do a wee bit of touchup paint on a few places where paint was nicked during final assembly, then there's the layout test where I'll find out how well I really did on the truck repair, but all in all, not too bad if I do say so myself! Note the difference a quality diaphragm makes in the appearance of the car. Coach Yard also makes coupler draft gear boxes with slots instead of holes so you can get the diaphragms touching. Fortunately the club minimum radius would allow this. I think I may try some of those.

Diner Side.jpg

Diner End.jpg

Tom- on Saturday evening, I was SURE that we had lost Shohei to the lone team north of the 49th Parallel, after a conversation with a local ballplayer who happens to be an outfielder with the Jays. He was in the gas station where I work & assured me that Ohtani was in Toronto. Said he was told by a teammate. Maybe this was all part of the subterfuge created by Shohei’s camp to keep his decision shrouded in mystery to get the most money for him & til he revealed his decision via his official Instagram account.
Seems he has backloaded his contract. $2M a year for 19 years and then $68M a year for 10 years. No interest on the deferred payments.

Morning folks

29 and trying to snow but not really getting the job done. We definitely need more but my geezer body appreciates not being on the end of the snow shovel these days. I used the snow bucket on the Toolcat 5600 to clear the driveway of the 2 to 3" that had accumulated there.

I received the appliance feet I ordered for the "mini" drill press from Amazon yesterday along with a rather large box from MicroMark. I'm still in the process of setting up "shop".

I also went through my paint collection yesterday. Some of those Testors bottles still have 15 cents printed on the lids-60+ years old???? Yep, none much fit the usable category. Maybe sell the bottles for antiques-----The Floquil and PolyS fared much better and actually may be still good. I will do some testing with those.

Good Morning Internet Peeps,

Well here she is. I still have to do a wee bit of touchup paint on a few places where paint was nicked during final assembly, then there's the layout test where I'll find out how well I really did on the truck repair, but all in all, not too bad if I do say so myself! Note the difference a quality diaphragm makes in the appearance of the car. Coach Yard also makes coupler draft gear boxes with slots instead of holes so you can get the diaphragms touching. Fortunately the club minimum radius would allow this. I think I may try some of those.

View attachment 177972

View attachment 177973
The SP used similar cars on their commuter runs. I did the San Jose to San Francisco run daily. The running gag about these cars was "You can still see the arrowheads" Just a comment on the age of these cars. Great model!!

The SP used similar cars on their commuter runs. I did the San Jose to San Francisco run daily. The running gag about these cars was "You can still see the arrowheads" Just a comment on the age of these cars. Great model!!
The Orange Empire RR Museum has one of those Commute cars in its collection. I rode in it several years ago. Pretty primitive! Glad you like it, but this one is a diner, not a coach. :) I have never seen photos of diners or all day lunch cars in commute service. I'm not sure what train I will put it in yet. Maybe an Argonaut or a Starlight, or an early Golden State. These diners spent their whole career in green. They never painted them in TTG or Daylight, and none made it to the modern era.

Good morning all. A large coffee please, Flo.
Will this rain ever stop and we see sunshine again?

Marrying young and those marrying at an older age.

I grew up with my two cousins. They are not much older than me (2 & 4 years older). They both married young whereas I married older. Their children also married young, our children were older before marrying.
Yesterday one of my cousins became a Great Grandmother again; her sixth. Our grandchildren are not yet in their teens.
My wife and I married older. Me 34, and her 36. At 53 I have a 12-year-old daughter.

In contrast, my sister is a year older than me and is already a grandma.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with some chores then headed to the train room. I took the photos and then tried to run a train. The track is beyond dirty, and I may have fried the decoder in my RS1 by the start and stops associated by power loss. The sound and lights work but it doesn't move. I'll try it again after cleaning. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Louis- That was nice of you to take in his cat. How does it get along with your beagle?

David- Shouldn't you have lots of snow by now? We got married fairly early. I was 21 and Kathy had just turned 20. Both of us were in the Navy. Youngest grandson is 16 going on 30.:rolleyes:

Bill- Very cool photo.

Willie- When I worked in EMS, I had a call for a 13 yof that was pregnant. Mom thought it was funny. Beyond ridiculous.

Karl- Happy Birthday to your children. My youngest is 40.

Willie- Can you use unpainted seated figures?

Alan- Another beautiful job.

Smudge- WOW! I also like your steam videos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here are several photos. I'm done with the project until after the first of the year. The gondola photo is just to show the diesel and generator. When on the future flat they will be chained down. I have more workers and detail parts that I'll put in when I finish the project. Unfortunately, the chain hoists I built are oversized.:(

20231210_113703.jpg

20231210_115016.jpg

20231212_105048.jpg

20231212_104304.jpg

Good afternoon, Everybody!

I closed the car door on the tip of my right middle finger this morning. I'd like to show it to you ;) 😁

It's ugly, but the good news is I don't slam my car doors!

Because my hands are mostly numb early in the morning, I did not realize I had done it until I pulled my hand away. When the numbness wore off, I knew I had done it for sure! It's surprising how much a finger can bleed.

It's making typing difficult at best.

Many NFL coaches are crybabies!

Have a good night, Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back