Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet, Your 59 is one beautiful automobile. I learned to drive a stick (3 speed) on a 59 that belonged to one of the drivers at the trucking co. I worked at in 68. It was a real POS and sometimes I used it to chase parts. Once I threw a trucks brake drum on the floor in the back seat and on the way to the parts house, it fell halfway thru the rusted floor!
I too learned driving with 3 on the tree in our 57 Meteor
ReAging: I dont feel old in the mind at 71, but the body says different. Now I consider my Dad OLD @ 103 Sharp mind, good eyes , poor hearing ,no walking.

Here is a shot of the "armstrong" turntable. I wonder if they got some guys from the cafe to help turn it or if there was a regularly scheduled group that would come and help?

View attachment 121363

I believe those turntables were made in such a way that a man or two can shove on them to turn the loco. Nice to see a photo of 328, though. She's presently living safe and sound in Jackson Street roundhouse, home of Minnesota Transportation Museum. I've talked with a couple veterans of those trips.

Chet, Your 59 is one beautiful automobile. I learned to drive a stick (3 speed) on a 59 that belonged to one of the drivers at the trucking co. I worked at in 68. It was a real POS and sometimes I used it to chase parts. Once I threw a trucks brake drum on the floor in the back seat and on the way to the parts house, it fell halfway thru the rusted floor!
[/QUOTE

This Impala is not quite stock. It was a barn find up here in Montana and had a 6 banger with a powerglide transmission. Wanted it to look stock, but it had an upgraded suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes with and LS-3 engine from a wrecked Corvette with a 6 speed manual overdrive transmission.

thumbnail_image003-20160502-083254564.jpg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started with a couple of chores then made a test of what I want to do with the engine service area ground cover. The black is WS Cinders and the brown is Scenic Express Dirt (made from gravel). The glue darkened the dirt color. I think I like the cinder streaks rather than the blobs. No modeling tomorrow with my Mom's appointment.

Greg- Very nice layout photo.

Tom- Nice looking cars. I thought the center decal had a orange in it. Once I zoomed in I saw it was corn. o_O

Chet- Great photos of the layout and the cars. The only sub surviving that I served on is currently being converted to a permanently moored nuclear power training ship.

Troy- Congrats on finishing the book.

Willie- That will be a nice scene.

Terry- You have the worst luck with shipping. I'm assuming that you didn't move to Alaska.

Dave- Nice layout photos.

20201213_140535.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy, everybody .

Dave Truck Dad ..... You are progressing nicely on your layout. It should be fun switching freight cars to serve your industries.

Sherrel .... The Santa ornament is funny.

Greg .... That is a very nice scene you posted.

Willie ..... Looks like you will have a nice rural scene with trailers soon.

Greg .... Your scene looks like it does a good job of representing northern Wisconsin.

Chet ..... You posted very nice photos of your layout. That sage brush looks good as trees. We don't have sage brush here. .... I bet you have large garage our out building because I don't think you keep those nice looking vehicles outside.

The Hudson looks nice. ....... I also have a black Hudson. ;)

35439145600_928ced9815_b.jpg

My Dad brought me the Tenshodo Hudson from Japan when I was a teenager. The model is now over 60 years old.

Good afternoon all......Still have the 3 inches of snow, just warming up enough to start dripping off the eves.
A BLT with some macaroni salad & a cold tall milk please Flo.....
Thanks all for the likes/comments, much appreciated!
Terry....thanks for the info on the MP paint.
Garry....too bad the railroads went to a simplified scheme, the original schemes almost always looked better.....
Tom....I'll be looking forward to seeing the spillage modeling...
And the solar panel on the rock car is to power the doors.....charge the batteries that operate the doors......
Luke....great info! I would have never guessed that with the front logo. The two "blues" look pretty similar, but then again, the perspective on that picture is not very good. It has been awhile, but as I recall when I was looking for MP rolling stock for my layout, (1940-53) I don't remember seeing a whole lot that didn't look some what plain. Maybe there's some that you could point out to me? Thanx!
And yes Please, Pictures!
Troy.... I was wondering how you writers do it, I see some thinking fluid helps! ;)
Willie...your mini trailer park at the silos is looking good.....
Hughie....the barge & tug really do look good, I said that because everybody else was commenting on that. 😁 I'm still liking the switching aspect of your layout though. 👍
Chet.... nice '59 Impala. My moms folks had one, it was that what-ever ya call it green color. As soon as they got it, they put plastic seat covers in it. That stuff that was really thick, clear, and had bumps (for cushioning affect?) in it. How I hated setting on that stuff!
Guy....nice job on the curtains!....👍

STAY WARM---STAY SAFE

Terry - It's a shame we can't collect air travel miles for all the packages that go the "opposite roundabout travel routes"!

Chet - I have a small amount of white metal - clutter, cinder blocks on pallets, and other random stuff on pallets perhaps you have a use for.
Too modern for my usage.

Good Evening Everyone. Just returned from North Dallas from my granddaughter's sixth birthday party. Had a great time as Grandpa. My thirteen year old grandson was in charge of making sure that I always had a fresh beer when needed. Miserable but uneventful trip in the cold drizzle. Water just doesn't run off the road very well at 37°. The inbound trip was no better this morning. Got to see emergency services from many different cities along both ways. Unfortunate for those involved, but fortunate for me that they were all in the opposite direction than I was traveling. House was a cozy 78° from the wood-burner and the fact that I wasn't going in and out the door all day long. I brought in enough dry wood yesterday to last until at least noon tomorrow. One thing about using wood for heating, is that it only gets wet on the outside and dries out rather quickly once brought in and stored by the stove. Just have to remember to shake off the moths before bringing it in.

Chet - Love the picture of the '59 Impala. I may have posted before that I learned to drive with a '59 Biscayne three speed, which, as you know, is a stripped down Impala. Dad bought it back in the days before A/C was standard in most cars, and the after-market one kept freezing over when used on humid days. We made many a vacation trip in that car with all eight of us inside and no one in the trunk. It was well before seat belts and we all survived. I guess that we were all wedged in tightly. The downside was that both of my parents smoked Lucky Strikes and I was the one in the middle of the front seat.
See you all in the morning. Stay safe and warm up north.

Mikey - I considered putting aluminum foil into some of the trailer windows, as that seems to be a common practice in places.
Willie- I have been working to remodel my brother's trailer on the lake. Several trailers near him catch the Alabama sun fully in the afternoon and aluminum foil in windows is still around.
I have a trailer kit to put together, so I will use your idea with that kit. Thanks!

Last edited:
Good morning. It's raining and 46.
I spent yesterday moving furniture, and trading desks with my wife. She loved her old desk, but kept knocking the keyboard drawer off its tracks with her knees. Then her old desk wouldn't fit where mine at, so I then had to trade desks between that one and the one I'd been using as a work/programming table in the train room. After that, a trip to pick up groceries.

Good morning all! Well, Terry and Dave at least for now.........
If you people don't have your Christmas Tree decorated by now, don't ya need to be getting on that? 😁
Not much happening here...another Monday...with some of the snow melted from yesterday. Doesn't look like we'll be getting any more for at least a few days.
Terry had mentioned another shipping woe. Mine isn't quite that detailed... But, when I bought the 764 helpful hints mag. it was coming from Stockton Cal., basically a 350 mile straight line north to southern Oregon. The guy I bought it from was keeping track of it, and sends me a message to say that it has taken a hard left turn, and is now headed for Hawaii. Awesome! He ask me if that delay would be ok? I think he was worried about the rating I would give him. (ebay) No prob. I says, I'm not in a hurry for it.... made me chuckle inside.....😀
Thank you all for the like/comments.....
Here is a war related photo, this one is not water related, although those were all awesome photos everyone posted of the ships! This one is on the rails.....
tank of flat car.jpg

Hope they emptied the chamber after practice!

GET BACK TO THE LAYOUT, RUN SOME TRAINS!

Morning all,

18° this morning with all the snow gone. Supposed to get to about 40° for the high today, but expecting some snow overnight and into tomorrow, but 1" or less for the local area.

I'm back at work and still no news on dad. Dr thought he had another 24 to 48 hours tops, so I'm expecting a call anytime. I wasn't able to see him, but I'm ok with that. I always expected him to be gone due to the distance. It's really about the Covid crap, but with no services, not anything I can do. My sister and I kept repeating to each other, "It is what it is." He had an advance directive on file with his Drs, so there were no attempts to extend his life.

Oh well, back to work for now.

Patrick - I read your posts with a heavy heart. That is total BS that you are not allowed to see your father. If the people that are making these selfish decisions had the same fate to face things would be different or the rules would be bent. If masks are effective - then let people make peace and say goodbye to their loved ones.

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 31°, should warm up to nearly 50° after the clouds go away. Rainfall yesterday was just a tad over .6". Just enough to make it sloppy out there for a few days. No gardening today!

How about a couple of sausage, egg, cheese and potato burritos this morning Flo. Spicy salsa and OJ to go with it.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Tom, Joe, Guy, Tom O, Patrick, Garry, Karl, Sherrel, Hughie, Chet, Walt, Jerry, Curt, Luke, Phil, Ken, James.

No activity in the train shed yesterday since I was out of town all day. I am looking forward to spending some time out there today.
Let's see what I can find in the archives.
As part of the scene with the cardstock farmhouse that I posted last week, there is a laser cut wood barn from Bar Mills called The Barn at Jackson Corners. They raise horses.
IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG

Troy - Congratulations on completion of the book. Hope that the editing does well.
Guy - I think that you did a great job on the curtains.
Patrick -
My kids turned 34 yesterday. I guess that makes me old...lol
You're only as old as you feel! All three of mine are between 37 and 42, and I don't feel old most of the time. But as Hughie posted, " you're going to pay for this in the morning", sometimes holds true.
Prayers and condolences for you and your whole family. You have obviously already come to terms with the events.
Sherrel -
Have 1/2 the track, plenty of loco's, but need more transformers!
I bet that Louis has some to spare!
Chet - Yep! The corners are there, might as well put them to good use. It gives me an opportunity to insert some mini-scenes.
Thanks for the car pictures, I have often wanted to see them, they are works of art. Great scenes from the archives as well. The only problem with them is that it reminds me of how much I need more trees. Sagebrush doesn't grow around here.
Curt - I also like the streaks better.
Mikey - As with most of my structures and other stuff on the layout, I may make some changes after looking at the trailer for a while. Aluminum foil in the windows or blinds slightly askew as Sherrel suggested might be coming up. I just haven't decided on the tenants yet, hillbillies or a retired gentle couple.

That's it for this morning. Everybody have a great day.

Hello from So. Central freezing cold Wisconsin. Up 7 degrees from 7am when I got up this morning. It is now 19 heading to 26.

Patrick, my best wishes to you and your family. Losing a parent is tough no matter the age or circumstances. Covid just makes it
needlessly tougher.

No online school this Monday as the grandkids are in the 50th state.

Karl, I have found the Covid has taken the thrill away from being cooped up with the wife. I hope your snow possible day with the Mrs. works out to both of your enjoyment.

Have a great day
TomO

I started this Thursday, recycling yard
D0B89AFF-9042-4AA7-ABFF-4263C9E02EA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back