Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I attended my fathers wake, everyone there was solemn; dignified. They shook my hand and mumbled some words that I never heard. I just remember their lips were moving as they were saying some words.
Some old friends of my father came to me in that setting, and started talking to me about where I was in life, and the future. They remembered old times with my father; happy times.
Those old friends talking about happier times changed it for me. Dad was gone, and everyone knew it. It was more important to remember the good times and the victories over the sadness in the passing of a great life. My dad was a WWII concentration camp survivor.

Patrick - Condolences on you're loss. Remember the greatness and the good times.

It's warming up a-bit here! 6°F this morning; that's 4° warmer than yesterday morning. And I'm told that come the weekend it might be close to freezing again. I can hear the lake calling, for next Saturday!

Willie - I really like the barn scene. Well done!
Jerry - The photo of the M3 Stuarts looks like either pre-African campaign or they were used for training. I believe Sherman's were mostly used in Africa.

I just want to post a couple of photos of the 2nd floor windows I'm using on the cafe'. In these, the blister-pack scrap is glued onto the paper inkjet print:
12-14-2020 (1).jpg

12-14-2020 (2).jpg

I'm trying to think ahead; what will it look like on a layout! I'm starting to believe the technique I'm using would look better with a lighter shade of drapes. It's ok with a desk lamp shining down on it, but, what about on the layout with less bright light. Hmmm! All these considerations.

Promise, that will be the last photos of my curtains adventure. I'll try and come up with something new for tomorrow.

Thanks for the likes and comments on my trivia! Have a great day!

Crisp morning here in Montana, -13 degrees out. ( yes negative thirteen) I better eat an extra pancake today
Willie- If doing hillbillies at the trailer I expect to see at least one Trans Am up on cinder blocks.
Tom - Is that a Suydam kit balancing by the clamps?
Patrick - So sorry to hear the news .
McLeod - The curtains are really impressive!

Last edited:
Just got the call. Dad passed early this morning. He would have been 81 at the end of the month.

Patrick ........ Sincere condolences and prayers for you and your family.

Willie .... The barn is very nicely weathered.

Tom .... The recycling yard looks like it will be a good source of revenue for your railroad.

Guy ..... The curtains look good in the windows.

We just learned one of our granddaughters tested positive for Covid 19. No symptoms so far. She was tested because she had been in contact with another girl at her high school who has it.

Good morning from St. Paul,

13 headed for 20. We had a dusting of snow out there, a few icy spots while walking to work this morning. I am offline all weekend so I did miss a bunch, however I did go back one page 🙃

Here is an old layout photo, new chains on this load of logs:

_MG_5548.jpg

These are some of the "goldenrod" logs, made from weeds. I have since transitioned to spruce or balsam twigs for most of my logs.

Garry - nice photo and history of your Tenshodo Hudson

Steve - we intended to visit the Jackson Street Roundhouse right when the Governor locked us up again.

Patrick - my condolences on the passing of your father.

Tom - the recycling yard should be a nice addition

Willie - nice farm scenes!

All - thanks for the likes and reading my posts

Have a great day all ... Dave LASM

Greetings from the West. Strange weather - or lack of it - that we have. The low last evening was 48 degrees and the expected high for today is 62. I can't remember when that I have seen such a narrowing like that. We have had lots of clouds the past several days, but no moisture - which reminds me that I better get all the potted plants and the yard watered again.

Patrick - Very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

GARRY - Very sorry to hear of your G daughter' sickness too!

We had a "drive-by" auto parade for the local G-son's birthday yesterday afternoon. A very nice showing of around 15 cars with posters and balloons. A table was set up with cupcakes and punch for those who wished to stop - which almost everyone did - wearing stupid masks of course. Almost everyone had their dogs with them - a hoot! There was no barking - just a lot of sniffing!

FLO - toss me some of MEL"S blueberry flapjacks this morning with a handfull of bacon and a tall OJ, please.
More "news" later.

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 31°, should warm up to nearly 50° after the clouds go away. Rainfall yesterday was just a tad over .6". Just enough to make it sloppy out there for a few days. No gardening today!

How about a couple of sausage, egg, cheese and potato burritos this morning Flo. Spicy salsa and OJ to go with it.

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Tom, Joe, Guy, Tom O, Patrick, Garry, Karl, Sherrel, Hughie, Chet, Walt, Jerry, Curt, Luke, Phil, Ken, James.

No activity in the train shed yesterday since I was out of town all day. I am looking forward to spending some time out there today.
Let's see what I can find in the archives.
As part of the scene with the cardstock farmhouse that I posted last week, there is a laser cut wood barn from Bar Mills called The Barn at Jackson Corners. They raise horses.
View attachment 121828View attachment 121829

Troy - Congratulations on completion of the book. Hope that the editing does well.
Guy - I think that you did a great job on the curtains.
Patrick -

You're only as old as you feel! All three of mine are between 37 and 42, and I don't feel old most of the time. But as Hughie posted, " you're going to pay for this in the morning", sometimes holds true.
Prayers and condolences for you and your whole family. You have obviously already come to terms with the events.
Sherrel -

I bet that Louis has some to spare!
Chet - Yep! The corners are there, might as well put them to good use. It gives me an opportunity to insert some mini-scenes.
Thanks for the car pictures, I have often wanted to see them, they are works of art. Great scenes from the archives as well. The only problem with them is that it reminds me of how much I need more trees. Sagebrush doesn't grow around here.
Curt - I also like the streaks better.
Mikey - As with most of my structures and other stuff on the layout, I may make some changes after looking at the trailer for a while. Aluminum foil in the windows or blinds slightly askew as Sherrel suggested might be coming up. I just haven't decided on the tenants yet, hillbillies or a retired gentle couple.

That's it for this morning. Everybody have a great day.

Willie....

So now which horse is "Trigger"? Lone Ranger must be near by.......🤔

oh and then there is "Mr. ED......and you thought you were talking to yourself in the train shed didn't ya ;) 🤣 😂 😜 :cool:

Good morning again, Monday and no grandkids has messed up the day. Shows how easy we can adapt to different things and then when it’s gone we miss it.

Walt, that is a Suydam kit but I don’t remember which one. A few years ago I took all my unbuilt Suydam kits and combined all the metal parts into one big box. Instant kitbashing. Sold all the non metal kits.

Itis time to do a kitbash and hopefully it is fun. I have 2 projects going, the recycling yard as the Grain Terminal bin building was getting too stressful. I am in the hobby for fun and walk away from stress, in this case to another build.

I soldered this up in the 1970’s, it is now part of the abandoned gravel pit. In Central Wisconsin this pit quarries “rotten granite“ some other areas call it decomposing gravel.
82DF125D-AB30-4657-B38C-6FB9CB52F43C.jpeg

TomO

Morning gang!

Almost lunch time. My truck failed to start as I was getting ready to go work. Bugger! Hit with my portable booster battery jumper. I will need to replace it this week ugh 200 dollar bill all day long. I wont be using flood battery going to AGM battery.

Made it to work. Got a call from the doctor. I am scheduled to go have the stent removed on Friday at 11:30 am. Hopefully that will be the end of my internal physical misery for a while.

Today it is a perfect 32 degrees with giant snow flakes floating around. No accumulation yet. It is supposed to drop to 18 tonight then tomorrow...

A blast is headed this way. high of 29 then down to a single digit of 5 degrees. Wednesday is when the Noreaster is gonna hit....we shall see. No biggie. I am ready...or rather will be ready.

Ya'll have a good one! I just gotta text from the USPS snail express saying one of my packages will be delivered today! 2 weeks late but better than never.

Peace

Thanks for the well wishes.

When they moved back to Michigan years ago, I decided to treat each time I left as the last time I'd see them. It helps some.
Patrick -- After my Mom passed, I brought Dad out to CA to live with us. He was in good health, just getting a little forgetful. After 7-8 months he wanted to go back to Louisiana to the home where I hired help to stay with him during the daylight hours - fix his meals, take him out, etc.
After about 4 months, he went in to take a nap after lunch and he passed in his sleep. I was enroute to go visit him when it happened. When I arrived - I was greeted by a cousin and his wife who had just stopped by to visit and check on him. He was exactly one month shy of his 90th.

Fellers! I havent forgotten about yall. I seem to have missed all of november and darn near half of this month. Time just slipped away from me. Hope everyone is doing well. Enjoyed everyone's posts. Had to play catch up. I suppose I'm all caught up now. Been working on my layout as of late. Ended up replacing a bad turnout. The actual point broke loose at the pivot joint. Never had that happen before. Installed the new one and had to shim it to get it to fit. My build will be a C&O them this go around. I've had enough with my chessie hoppers hopping off the tracks to do me a lifetime. I've done all I can think of to remedy that. So I just threw in the towel. I have enough C&O stuff to run the layout so that's the direction I'm going in. Have the pile of rocks looking news paper balls installed in about 3/4 of the area I need. I ran out of newspaper.....so I'll have to stock up again. I'll post some updates on my layout later. For now I'll leave my most recent layout shot. Yall have a good day.
20201205_213613.jpg

Howdy again.

Dave LASM .... thanks for commenting on my photo.

Sherrel ... Thanks for your concern about our granddaughter. We think she will be okay. No symptoms yet. We are afraid she will transmit the virus to our son and our DIL. Looks like we won’t see them for Christmas.

A doodlebug moves along a branch line.
DEC18DE0-A8E3-415A-874E-0E7443FBD48C.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores then headed over to Mom and Dad's. We went to the Oncologist to find out the appointment is next Monday :rolleyes:. SMH. Before heading that way I put down a section of straight Elmers and sprinkled the "dirt" on it. I didn't put glue on the top of it. I'll check tomorrow to see if it's lighter and if it is holding properly. Tomorrow the painters are supposed to be back to paint the pool deck since it rained this morning (supposed to be dry tomorrow).

Garry- Prayers for your granddaughter and her family.

Jerry- Cool photo.

Patrick- I am very sorry for your loss.

Dave LASM- Nice layout photo and load.

Justin- Good to see you posting. Nice closeup of the C&O loco.

Guy- I am sorry for your loss. I like the drapes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. A chilly start to the day at 16 degrees with a few inches of overnight snow. Walt must have had our friends from the north send him some colder weather.

Patrick - So very sorry to hear about your father.

Garry - Like the photo and how you worked the scenery into the backdrop. Nicely done. That NYC Steamer looks a little out of place.

Curt - That sub must be in Bremmerton. Most ships life spans are only about 30 years. The only ship that I was on (only was on 4) that still exists is the USS Little Rock, CLG-4. When we put the Luce out of commission in Filthadelphia for a class B overhaul I got sent over the the Little Rock home ported in Gaeta, Italy. I only had a few months left and they were trying to get me to re-inlist but refused to put me back on a destroyer. I had passed the test for Chief but didn't have the required time left so that was their carrot on a stick. The Little Rock is at the Buffalo Naval Park in Buffalo, NY moored next to the USS The Sullivans, DD-537. It is the only Cleveland class cruiser left.
04010405.jpg

Willie - Thanks for the comments on the photos. Maybe Walt can send you some sage brush from Forsythe. Plenty around there. Liked your photos as usual. I did install vintage A/C in the '59 Impale and I know what you mean about it freezing up. It works fine here but the year we took it to Florida and the Keys it also would freeze up. You would have to just run the fan for a few minutes and than you could run the A/C again. Learned that real fast when we lived in Florida.

TomO - Nice start on the recycling yard.

Justin
- Like the photo. Nice to see you in here again.

Greg - Like the photo of that Jeep. The yellow one that I sold was in many ways useless. Miserable on the highway but was good in the mountains. I really prefer the Jeep station wagon a lot better. They built that body style from 1946 until 1964 here in the states with very little in the way of changes. That thing is a hoot to drive and up here you get a lot of thumbs up. Can't count how many offers I have had to buy it. Great layout photo.

Terry -
I will have to agree with you about New Years Eve. I'll drink to that.

I think I'll leave with a few archive photos again.

20181111_162102.jpg

20181111_165201.jpg
20181122_100735.jpg
20181116_104018.jpg

20180101_124130.jpg
thumbnail_20171230_124004.jpg
thumbnail_20171230_132341.jpg
thumbnail_20190419_103948.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back