Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom O- Nice job on the tanks, give me a month and I'll have some grains cars to fill them.
Guy- The van looking good.
Willie- Those blinds on the windows look like ho or n pallets.

After an unscheduled trip for groceries and a few other stops I was able to complete one of I don't want to think how many, grain cars to see the process that I'm doing will be up to my picky standards. Other than a few minor changes, I'm happy with the out come. My wife reminds me to stop looking at it with optivisors and look at it like everyone else would.
IMG_3801.jpg
IMG_3800.jpg

Tom O- Nice job on the tanks, give me a month and I'll have some grains cars to fill them.
Guy- The van looking good.
Willie- Those blinds on the windows look like ho or n pallets.

After an unscheduled trip for groceries and a few other stops I was able to complete one of I don't want to think how many, grain cars to see the process that I'm doing will be up to my picky standards. Other than a few minor changes, I'm happy with the out come. My wife reminds me to stop looking at it with optivisors and look at it like everyone else would.View attachment 121741View attachment 121742

tom

that hopper looks great. I only have 6 with 2 weathered and going to get maybe 12 more after I get the wet/dry bins done.

TomO

the 2 lightly weathered. I model 2015 and builders date on these is 2012
4A3FD487-404E-4CBF-BE7B-29D15DB22FEE.jpeg

Kind of a late showing for the breakfast crowd, my lovely wife prepared this for me early this morning before heading out into the field. She likes making bacon faces.
IMG_7907.JPG

Taken later on enjoying the fine Montana climate after being out on the four-wheeler.

IMG_7908.JPG

We went and looked at the Christmas lights in town. Most yards were very repetitive with the same blowup decorations. Some had very nice plywood cutouts and traditional decorations.
This was among my favorites -

IMG_7903 (1).JPG

Tom - The grain hoppers are Nice! Do you also build military models?

Good afternoon. Had a bit of freezing rain and snow yesterday afternoon and evening. I nice trip home on the greasy roads. Been busy as usual. The inspection went well on the cars I was selling and ended up selling 2 additional cars to the same person who is located in Texas. He originally only wanted 2 but the guy inspecting the cars for him did a nice job selling 2 more.

Joe - Like your photos as usual. Prefer the GG-1's to the AmTrak loco. It is interesting watching them scrap a ship. Got some photos of my old ship being scrapped in Philly. That sort of brought a tear to my eyes as we covered a lot of ocean and visited so many countries on it. The USS Luce, DLG-7.
05013801.jpg
05013835.jpg 05013828.jpg 05013827.jpg
She lasted as long as most ships with an average service life of 30 years.

Chad - I have also been on the Massachusetts along with quite a few others. I did get to visit Hiroshima and visited the memorial site but never got to any museums. Saw some video of what was left of the Yamato on the bottom of the ocean that they discovered a few years ago.

Willie - Enjoyed your photos. That does look like a rather plump dachshund on the front porch.

Dave - Like the photo of the NW-1. Had a model of one but it was geared so slow that it was a hazzard to take out on the mainline at the club. Sold it to a club member who likes to work in the yards. The sound was better than many locomotives I have hears and the slow speed control was outstanding,. Like the photo of your old layout.

thumbnail_20200627_200529.jpg

Karl - Nice weathering on the tower in the photo. As far as the 1/87 vehicles, I have been collecting them for over 30 years trying to get the most accurate ones I could for the era, 1957, that I am modeling. I think there might be around 250 of them, give or take a few.

Patrick -
Sorry to hear about your dad.

GeeTee - Like the track work. They do sell gauges for maintaining spaces between the tracks. I have (I have no idea where right now) that I used to lay my code 70 track. I was a bit disappointed with the Micro Engineering flex track. It was a bit difficult to make good looking curves as both rails were rigid. Also I had to drill holes in the ties for spikes. I ended up using the for tracks in the yard. I really liked the Shinohara flex track and turnouts as there were holes pre-drilled for spikes. A shame they are no longer made. Went to Shinohara when my Kadee spike gun died and was beyond repair according to Kadee.

Curt - Hoping the best for your mom. After my bout with a blood clot in my leg, I didn't realize how serious it can be. Took the $67 per pill medication for thinning the blood and it did work.

McLeod - Have you found any Mayflower decals yet?

Troy
- That's some good looking chili.

Tom - Like the weathering on the grain cars. Light enough to show it has been around for a while but not abused.

Garry - Sure do like that grain facility. Generates a lot of traffic for switching.

Greg - Like the photo. That is a craft beer from one of the 20+ microbreweries we have in town. The Grazing Cloud has turned out to be both of our favorites. There are some other excellent beers, but we pretty well stick with this.

Hughie - The layout is coming right along. Looks good.

Walt - You must not be working too hard as your facial hair is not incrusted in ice.

May as well post some train photos from the archives as this is a train forum.

20180211_132140.jpg

20180211_135743.jpg

thumbnail_20191023_133341.jpg

Later

Hi all,

Turned out they had a 24 hour wait before we could see dad after they moved him and that it would be this afternoon before anyone would be allowed to see him. With the weather report of snow coming to much of the areas I have to drive through, I left at about 9:30a yesterday and drove straight through. Got home last night about 11p. 13.5 hours on a 14.6 hour drive. I did make some stops, but traffic was light and I got in a group coming south out of MSP to Des Moines who took the posted speed limit as a suggestion. No change on on dad's condition.

Wife's car quit while I was gone, so 2 hours and $200 for a new battery fixed it right up. Never had that much issue with taking a battery terminal off. 4 year old car with oem battery, I guess I have no complaint. Thing took a lot of baking soda paste to free up. Never seen that in a car this new.

Good Afternoon from snow covered Southern Oregon! About 3 inches worth, outdoors is gorgeous in white!
Have been busy over on the gon. build thread. Wanted to pop by here and say hello to everybody.
Thanks for the comments/ likes on last post....Dave...Guy....Patrick....Joe....Sherrel....Flip....TomO....Garry....Tom....Hughie....Ken....Luke....Chet
Troy...your chili looks very good, I like that you have every thing in it but the kitchen sink! o_O A couple of big o slices of honey-butter corn bread! Okay, I'm hungry!!!
Joe.... thanks for the sentiment, but you do have me a bit confused......I have been feeling good all along. 👍
Hughie.....I like your layout! The barge and tug scene looks like $hit! JUST KIDDING! 😁 I'm liking all the switching possibilities! 👍
Curt....Thanks for the "nice catch" I spotted it in the yard a several days earlier, between some cuts of cars. The day after that, the switch crew is switching it out. It ends up in the middle of a cut of cars. I'm thinking I've lost the chance to get a pic. The next day, it's on the head end of a cut of cars, that's when I got the crappy picture. Yesterday, watching a freight roll by, and guess who? Thar she goes......south bound!

Luke....I immediately busted out laughing! I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time! Thanks! That was perfect! I figured that might bring ya out....😉 Here's one of my fave pictures of some MP power........
IMG_20201212_134310908.jpg

The caption says that the B units are in Jenks Blue...so what color is the F3?
She's wearing the "buzz saw" herald, when did the buzz saw/eagle herald appear?
Willie....Nice color combo on the trailer build......
Tom....storage bins looking good....
Sherrel....neat train under the tree....stirred a lot of memories out there with that one!
Tom....that is a top notch job on those hopper cars...do you ever model grain spillage on them?
Patrick....best wishes for your dad!

Since we've got some snow on the ground, I'll toss a couple of snow pictures at ya..
A C&S Rotary Snow Plow operation....
C&S Rotary Plow.jpg

The Medicine Lake Highlands with a lava flow highlighted by snow fall. The ridge that extends down towards the lower right, is an obsidian flow, or volcanic glass. The ridge is about a hundred feet tall at the end, and is composed of obsidian blocks the size of your washer & dryer.
IMG_20201207_122513852.jpg

The area in the foreground is land burned over in the Caldwell fire this summer.

WISHING EVERYBODY WELL THROUGH THIS COVID INSANITY!

Hi all,

Turned out they had a 24 hour wait before we could see dad after they moved him and that it would be this afternoon before anyone would be allowed to see him. With the weather report of snow coming to much of the areas I have to drive through, I left at about 9:30a yesterday and drove straight through. Got home last night about 11p. 13.5 hours on a 14.6 hour drive. I did make some stops, but traffic was light and I got in a group coming south out of MSP to Des Moines who took the posted speed limit as a suggestion. No change on on dad's condition.

Wife's car quit while I was gone, so 2 hours and $200 for a new battery fixed it right up. Never had that much issue with taking a battery terminal off. 4 year old car with oem battery, I guess I have no complaint. Thing took a lot of baking soda paste to free up. Never seen that in a car this new.
$200? What was this, a VW(or other Euro make)?

Luke....I immediately busted out laughing! I haven't had a laugh like that in a long time! Thanks! That was perfect! I figured that might bring ya out....😉 Here's one of my fave pictures of some MP power........
View attachment 121763
The caption says that the B units are in Jenks Blue...so what color is the F3?
She's wearing the "buzz saw" herald, when did the buzz saw/eagle herald appear?
[/QUOTE]

Hi Jerry, I am glad I could make you laugh. The blue that the A unit is wearing is known as Eagle blue, part of the Eagle scheme consisting of a blue, white, and a gray, or a light yellow. The B unit is wearing Jenks blue named after Downing B. Jenks. He didn't like spending money on things that didn't make money (like paint jobs). He made the switch from costly Eagle colors, because of the many different paint colors required, to simple Jenks blue, named after him because he made the change, requiring only one color, Blue and silver reflective Scotchlite tape that appears white. The change happened in 1961 (as the book explained). Th change from the "plain" Buzzsaw to the Buzzsaw with the flying eagle superimposed happened in late 1969. I think first appeared on MoPac's new EMD SD40-2Cs (C for coal hauling). Another thing you might find interesting is that the buzzsaw on the F3 in the photo is made out of sheet metal but the "spikes" around the circle are painted on the locomotive itself. See the white stripe between the sheet metal circle and the spikes? That is where the transition happened.
Feel free to ask any more questions you have, I might be able to answer them. I will try to post some pictures in the future if that is okay.
Luke Welte

Well... I did it.

Coffee, Flo. Brought more cinnamon rolls in, don't tell Mel.

Seems I thought I was going to game with some SoCal buddies online yesterday.

I screwed that up by a week. I was all ready and waiting, and no one showed. So I re-read the email. The 19th... gotta get a better memory.

That left me with my snack food, and a pile of words to write. I knew I needed only 3.5 more chapters to finish the book. Each needed to be about 2,000+ words.

So I sat, and wrote. Took a break and thawed some Beef-n-Noodles (with good Amish recipe noodles I get from the Amish bakery). Then back at it.

finally, about 9:30 p last evening I took this photo. The customary photo with celebratory beverage Authors take upon typing THE END.

theend1.jpg

A glass of "19 Crimes" wine seemed fitting for finishing another mystery.

Here's the final word count from yesterday. My brain hurts this morning. (bottom slider has the daily word count. Top slider is full book)

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 10.00.50 PM.png

It's not done, done. But the crunch is over. Minor revisions, and a full day to run it through grammar police checker. Then off to the editrix.

Good Morning All. Drizzle and 38° this morning. Supposed to rain until mid-afternoon, Temperature will not get any warmer and the wind will turn from the north around sunset with a freeze tonight. Snow looks like it is staying north in Oklahoma.
Today is my granddaughter's sixth birthday party, so we will have to get on the road in this mess to visit for the party. Family only affair out of precaution.

Big day today Flo, give me a big stack of blueberry pancakes with a pile of bacon and lots of butter and maple syrup.

Thanks for all of the comments and reactions yesterday; Tom, Guy, Karl, Phil, Luke, Walt, Gary, Chet, Hughie, Garry, Tom O, Mikey, Greg, Sherrel, Rick, Curt, Patrick, James.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did some fiddling about. I posted a day or so ago, that I had a place in mind for the trailer on the layout.
IMG_5291.JPG

This spot is just to the north of a feed store that I posted a week or so ago.
The existing trailer is unfinished right now, it was just "place-holding" the area. I will be moving it over to the workbench for finishing up this week. The whole premise is that this is a family lot with parents living in the big newer trailer and one of their deadbeat offspring living in the old disheveled one.
IMG_5293.JPG

Here is an overall shot of the area after I removed the structures from the other side of the tracks and painted the existing track where needed.
IMG_5294.JPG

The track on the upper right will be inside the manufacturing facility.
I wasn't even planning on doing this until after the holidays, but the paint over in my other project (Pizzeria detailing) just wasn't drying quickly enough, and I needed something constructive to do.

Guy - Color on the cafe looks much better than the blue.
Mikey - I considered putting aluminum foil into some of the trailer windows, as that seems to be a common practice in places.
Tom O - Does the KOW part of WKOW honor the Wisconsin dairy industry? No pictures of the beautiful weather lady?
Sherrel - Like the train. Do you have one for all of the other trees?
Curt - I did not make the venetian blinds, They were just printed on the bottom of the instruction sheet for the modeler to cut out. Should be easy to make at home with a computer and printer, as they are just a bunch of horizontal lines somewhat closely spaced. I plan to try it out for some other naked structures on the layout.
Tom - I think that the spacing on those venetian blinds is a bit too wide. I am going to try to make my own for other structures and may replace these later. But that is a winter time project if winter ever really gets here.
I like your light weathering on some cars. I try to do the same with a variety of weathering. I think that I have weathered about 40 of my 212 covered hoppers so far.
Chet - I guess that congratulations are in order for your efforts in restoring all of those cars. Just wish that you would post some pictures.;)
Yes, the dachshund is a bit overweight, but look at his owner seated on the crate behind him.
Patrick - That's one expensive battery, or maybe it's been some time since I purchased one. You may have missed the snow on the way home, but it's coming to Doo-Dah this morning.

Besides being my granddaughter's birthday, today is the U.S. National Guard Birthday. Oh! And it's also the birthday of Taylor Swift. I never heard any of her music, but she's a pretty young girl.
Everybody have a great Sunday. Keep your distance and be smart.

Morning! I'd better have a nice hot coffee in a warm stoneware cup; it's 2°F out there this morning.

Lady across the street came banging on my door last night; asked me to come to her place as they were having electrical issues and smoke in the house. I ran over there to take a look, expecting it to be something to do with all the Christmas lights.
Turned out to be an aluminum wiring receptacle issue inside the house. Another case of an unskilled home-owner doing their own electrical wiring.
Got that all fixed up and was home at 11pm.

Chet - I don't have any Mayflower decals, nor have I been able to source any. - If I do go the Mayflower route, I'll have to make my own. Admittedly, I haven't given it much effort as of yet. - Frankly, I've been thinking about making it a grocery delivery or milk truck, anyway. Didn't all small towns have a milk truck coming in every morning, in the 60's. Perhaps a Dairyland truck. Lot's of time to decide what I'm going to do.
Walt - I enjoyed seeing the smiling bacon face plate. Well done, on the wife's cooking humor.
Tom - A very nice 3-bay covered hopper. I got about a hundred photos of 3-bay covered hoppers this past summer. Not sure what they were transporting, but, around here in boreal forest, it wasn't grain.

Thanks to all who liked my trivia post yesterday morning. It is appreciated very much.

Yesterday, I straightened out paint on my projects as best I could. That black line on the front end of the metro van is as good as it's going to get with my available skill-set:
IMG_3219.jpg

I also straightened out the paint on the Cafe', as best I could. Then I went about making some curtains.
I'll drop 3 photos on the table; maybe you can see how I'm doing it, and give me some feedback on if it's good enough, or not. Do the curtains look too comical?
Cafe_12-12-2020 (8).jpg

Cafe_12-12-2020 (11).jpg

Cafe_12-12-2020 (10).jpg

I still have to cut the white paper from between the drapes.

Willie - I like Taylor Swift! She's pretty and she's rich! My kinda gal! - Trouble is, I'm not her kinda guy.

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back