Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from St. Paul,

Crisp but dry, no snow in the forecast for the next 9 days. I am good with that. I bid on more model railroad stuff on ebay for my personal Christmas gifts. I will have to draw the line pretty soon, however I managed to go 16 months without one ebay purchase.

Now that the new house is nearing completion I am seeing the new layout as much more of a reality!

Patrick - You are travelling some of my old stomping grounds. When I ran a logging business I hired truckers out of Eau Claire and Ladysmith, shipped most of my logs to Prentice.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your parents.

GT - nice job on the track!

James - I didn't even realize we were testing the Russian vaccine! I guess the "news" I hear is mostly worthless.

Troyphoto - is your name Troy? Sounds like you lead an interesting life.

Here is a shot of my old layout, fantasy industry area, I got all the buildings I wanted in there, any old thing that fit my time era and gave me an excuse for my different freight cars and highway trucks:

_MG_5520.jpg

Thanks to All for the likes and news!

Dave

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 58° right now. The weather radar shows that it's raining here, as does the Weather Underground station about a mile away, but my porch and my weather rock are both dry. I won't see that 58° mark at this time of morning again until mid-February. The rain is coming though, looks to be a slow drizzle until about noonish or so. Cold spell Sunday through Wednesday and then back to seasonal temperatures.

I need a sugar fix this morning Flo. How about some bacon and a bear claw with a tall glass of OJ.

Thanks as always for the reactions, likes, and comments regarding yesterday's pictures and commentary; Karl, Guy, Tom O, Chad, Garry, Dave, Sherrel, Joe, Hughie, Rick, James, Luke, Phil, Patrick, Curt, Ken, Tom, Jerry.

My train engineers got some action yesterday in the train shed. I ran several out and back switching runs interruped by a couple of unit grain trains hauling wheat and soybeans to Houston for export.
Still trying to get a good picture of the farm house front porch, this one is better but not what I had hoped for.
IMG_5279.JPG

Looking around for my next project, I'm just doing small ones for now until after the holidays.
This is a top candidate.
IMG_5277.JPG

Time to add figures and complete an outdoor eating plaza for the Pizzeria here.

Tom O - Seeing that Herzog vehicle reminds me of the contract that my BIL has with them. He is on retainer as a light rail consultant for a lot of money with them, but being semi-retired he does not do any more active work for them. The retainer is solely to keep him from working on any of their competitors projects, like Sieman's, RJ Corman and others. Last time that we discussed it, it was nearly six figures!
Karl - Love what you did with that old Atlas Switch Tower.
Patrick - Continued best wishes and prayers for you and your family, Dad, Mom, daughter.
Curt - Somewhat good news on Mom. Get yourself well soon.
James - Take it easier and get well soon.

Everybody have a great day. It's finally started to rain a little here.

Good morning y'all. Happy Friday! 28° and sunny.

I had to pay state income taxes to both PA and MD during that period.

Ken: Never let it be said that either of these states would consider giving even a mere smidgen of tax revenue. I used to work with a lot of former Reading company employees who commuted daily from Berks Co to Philadelphia. I would occasionally pass through while training engineers on new devices such as the Fuel saver technology and rear end telemetry. Never spent a whole lot of time there though.

Patrick: I am so sorry to hear of your parents situation.

Curt: Likewise, I'm sorry to hear of your mother's condition.

Jerry: Good you're feeling better, don't push yourself with returning to work too soon...

Karl:
Thanks. I have two more P2K GP30s to upgrade. I think that once that's accomplished, I will re-body them with Walthers Proto shells painted Reading. I'm not pleased with the Walthers drive. I may just experiment with re-motoring with Kato drives also. Have a couple of Kato motors somewhere in my collection of stuff. Since I've never done this before, I figured i'd ask. Since my layout is so narrowly focused I'm going to have to address my surplus power.

Better "late" than never, I'm going to power up my out door Christmas decorations today. Fortunately, all my gifts are in my closet awaiting wrapping, except for one that should arrive today or tomorrow. It will have to be wrapped and re-shipped early next week. Also have to revisit the layout, and do more scenic work.

Later.

Morning! Late rising today, with not too much to get up for. Everything fun is in lockdown except for the lake, and it's too cold to go ice-fishing at 16°F. If there's a breeze, it will feel like sub-zero temperatures. - I have a tent, but, have never used it. Too much packing and too much work on the ice.
So, I've been modeling and subconsciously watching TV commercials. There seems to be more commercials than programming. I find myself wondering what the floor cleaner women looks like naked.

Not in any hurry, so I'll have an cheese-n-hamburger omelet on toast. Got time for a few coffee and look at some photos.

Yesterday, I did some model painting.
I had the International Metro van all masked up for paint. I also painted little bits of the interior:
Metro6_12-10-2020.jpg

I thought the Metro van turned out fairly nice. Needs a-bit of paint correction on the front, but other than that, it will work:
Metro7_12-10-2020.jpg

Willie - Can't say I really care for cardstock models. I know they seem to be popular in buildings and vehicles. Not my style, though. - How did you do the curtains on the Pizzeria?

Dave - I like the layout photo! I like industry type highway truck models, as well. Hope to have many on my future layout. As it happens, I live in pick-up truck and tractor country. If you use the word 'tractor' here, they'll think you are talking about a big truck.

Patrick - Prayers for you're parents. It's a hard thing to face. I know; faced the same situation years ago.

Curt - Prayers extended for you're mothers situation, as well; and to you!

Boris - Either my computer is acting up, or you never brought in photos today. Just for that, breakfast should be on you!

Thank you all, for the likes on my simple trivia! I like coming in here in the morning. Makes for some interesting moments as I enjoy my morning coffee.

Have a great day, everyone!

Troyphoto - is your name Troy? Sounds like you lead an interesting life.
Yep. I'm Troy - look in the sig line below.

In my previous professional life I was a news photog (10 years), a Wedding and Portrait Photog (20 years), and I taught Photo Journalism at a local university for 7 semesters (as an adjunct).

Now, I write fun witchy-cozy-mystery books.

Wife has a real job in the medical side, but wanted out of management. So she got a desk job that could be remote work, right before covid hit. BUT, she had to stay in SoCal (LA area) and finish out the old job of managing one of the medical labs there until they hired her replacement. I moved back to Indiana in January. She stayed in Air BNBs until late March when she finally got to fly back to Indiana. That was a wee bit stressful on her.

But, in other news, after the Target run, I made a pot of chili (currently in the slow cooker).
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 10.22.31 AM.png

Good morning from crappy Wisconsin where the 50+ of yesterday is now a distance memory. High was 36f degrees at 7am and it’s still that. Rain is coming in a little while and 2-3” of the white stuff around 3. The white stuff tools of removal are ready for duty. Tuning the shovel up was tough, the blower, I let the experts handle that back in September.

I spent a socially distance 40 minutes in-line at the USPS yesterday afternoon. The son in Austin, his presents from us came to our house. Terry screwed up on this one, didn’t use his address. $90.90 for shipping 3 packages instead of the free shipping she should have had. She is still ticked this morning. I thought it was funny until I had to wait in line yesterday. The non-enlightened people trying to mail stuff yesterday was enough for a book. Lots of overseas stuff yesterday and most of them refused at the counter as the paperwork was missing or filled out incorrectly. Yeah,the fun dissipated quickly in line after the third time of that in front of me.

I have a Polaris 3d printed ATV in HO for the starting base of my Herzog critter build. Purchased about 3 months ago and it’s not in the drawer with the other 3D printed stuff. The grain terminal build has got my bench so disorganized trying to build 2 sets of 6 together is not working out. I prefer the assembly line method but even Terry laughed at my mess yesterday. Maybe 1 at a time, I will think about it this morning. Have a great safe day. TomO

Patrick, safe travels, highway 51 to Wausau and 29 west to the Interstate should be fine. The Wausau/St. Point south of Wausau was the old stomping grounds from 76 to 2014. The wife was a teacher then administrator in the Wausau Schools. Hope you get to see dad today.
Front end Friday
8E47EF0E-31AB-4942-89AF-E688F8B62E38.jpeg

Last edited:
Karl: Thanks. I have two more P2K GP30s to upgrade. I think that once that's accomplished, I will re-body them with Walthers Proto shells painted Reading. I'm not pleased with the Walthers drive. I may just experiment with re-motoring with Kato drives also. Have a couple of Kato motors somewhere in my collection of stuff. Since I've never done this before, I figured i'd ask. Since my layout is so narrowly focused I'm going to have to address my surplus power.

Kato motors are an excellent choice for any upgrade. Northwest Short Line and A-line make driveshaft parts so you can get a perfect driveshaft custom fit for your application. Of the two, I prefer the NWSL kits with universals on cut-to-length steel shafts over the plastic A-Line kits. I've got a few running A-Line shafts that seem to have a bit too much wobble in them. Wobble causes vibration which leads to noise.

Howdy ....

Curt .... Prayers for your Mom.

Dave B ...... I like the picture of the industrial area.

Willie ....... I like the photo of the farmhouse and the picture of the downtown buildings.

Guy .... The delivery van looks good.

TLOC ..... Nice photo of the WC locomotive with the logging machine in the foreground.

Troy .... Your chile picture makes me hungry.

Here is an older photo of the large grain elevator in Prairie View on my layout.

35706878971_858391fb91_b.jpg

Good Morning Everyone.....yesterday's perfect December weather has changed to normal December weather with cold rain all day then changing to some snow. The heavy snow has been changed to a mere 1-3 inches of snow.

When to the big city of Milwaukee yesterday. Things are changing in the city to an urban environment. Again the Wauwatosa Police were forced to shoot a woman who was fighting with another woman in a upscale bar. Same PD that had to arrest the kid who shot the eight people in Mayfair Mall a few weeks ago.

Garry:
Nice photograph of the mill complex.

TLOC: Great photo of the logging operation and the WC locomotive. So much action and details in a narrow modeling area. I know what you mean about the crowds at the local post office. Our local Post Office is a three person operation but the lobby hardly holds 10 people. On Wednesday, we recieved back from the Post Office a Christmas Card we mailed last year and it was undeliverable!!!

Chet: Is that a craft beer you're enjoying in the bar/grill? Looks like a nice place and maybe you could treat the Forum members there for a Christmas lunch. LOL. Is that a clear garage door in the background???

When to my favorite hobby shop on a secret mission in Milwaukee to pick up a package. More to follow in a later post.

You fellows talking about meeting famous aviation history achievers make me think of my story to relate to you. One year I had lunch with James Lovell and he told us the entire story about Apollo 13 and the repairs the crew made to the craft to enable them to return home. A picture of me asking him for an autograph is hanging on the wall.

On out trip into Milwaukee, I was lucky to catch a freight west bound on the CP tracks that are near our home. A long train and I just missed the locomotives at the head end of the train. This was the site of a derailment several years ago.

Off to lunch and then the train room.

Greg

#######################

Saxeville Tunnel entrance.JPG

This is the entrance to the Saxeville Tunnel which is under the Saxeville Interchange.-Greg

Yep. I'm Troy - look in the sig line below.

In my previous professional life I was a news photog (10 years), a Wedding and Portrait Photog (20 years), and I taught Photo Journalism at a local university for 7 semesters (as an adjunct).

Now, I write fun witchy-cozy-mystery books.

Wife has a real job in the medical side, but wanted out of management. So she got a desk job that could be remote work, right before covid hit. BUT, she had to stay in SoCal (LA area) and finish out the old job of managing one of the medical labs there until they hired her replacement. I moved back to Indiana in January. She stayed in Air BNBs until late March when she finally got to fly back to Indiana. That was a wee bit stressful on her.

But, in other news, after the Target run, I made a pot of chili (currently in the slow cooker).View attachment 121687

Troy does not show up in the signature line my computer shows me, am I that blind or is it really not there?

Well, Troy, I see your name and signature. Along with all of that Misty Valley Cascade description. Just a reminder that no one's signatures appear if you're not logged in. One of the quirks in this forum's software that I have noticed. Then we have those who don't have a signature and keep us guessing! ;)

I am happy to have been chosen for the COVID-19 vaccine tests! I am one of the first chosen to try out the Russian vaccine, and was given the first of 4 shots just this morning. Other than a slight sting to my arm and some redness at the injection site, I am not feeling any side effects aи не было уменьшенного диапазона движения или боли в моей руке. Я с нетерпением жду борьбы с этим diesease с помощью моих русских Comrades!

Our music teacher sent us a similar text today, also going into Russian (something else though) at the end of his text. Funny guys!

But he said there were a total of 6 courses.

Well, Troy, I see your name and signature. Along with all of that Misty Valley Cascade description. Just a reminder that no one's signatures appear if you're not logged in. One of the quirks in this forum's software that I have noticed. Then we have those who don't have a signature and keep us guessing! ;)
I fixed it later... still looking for the pixel thief who stole those letters. ;)

Good Afternoon to all. Mowed yesterday, hopefully for the last time this year.
Prayers for those contending with Covid issues. Maybe, just maybe next year will be better.
Been working on the new layout a few hours every day. Today I finished dropping the wires, set the turntable and mad the initial cut for the river.
build 12-11-20.jpg

Evening All,

I spent the afternoon with Mom and Dad. I read her hospital paperwork and I think this is going to be worse than I initially thought. She has a appointment with the Oncologist Monday afternoon and I'll be going with them. I may not get in but I'll be there. No train stuff. Only plan this weekend is to watch the Army/Navy game...but Navy will probably get trounced because of the way they're playing.

My friend called me (Orlando) and offered me free Atlas Flex track from a mutual friends layout who has passed away. I may pick that up tomorrow also.

I want to thank everyone for the kind wishes for my Mom. It means a lot to me for your support.

Jerry- Nice catch.

David Lasm- Nice layout shot.

Willie- That should make a great scene.

Guy- Nice job on the van.

Tom- Nice layout shot.

Garry- Very nice modeling and photo.

Greg- Nice layout photo.

Hughie- Neat layout. I like the river that runs through it.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back