Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gang!

I will survive! lol The procedure went well and the poor young doctor had to hear me cuss like sailor. A bit scary for him as he was a buck forty dripping wet 5'-4" and I am a big guy 245 lbs. 5'-10". The pain has been subdued a bit. Nothing like have a roto rooter contraption snake up the o'l noodle. Holy moly did that hurt! It was worse than I anticipated. Think a corn dog on a stick and the stick being yanked out! Dagummit that hurt! The relief is definitely welcomed. Well I choked down some more antibiotics and a few other pills. In about 24 hours he says I should have some vast improvements. I am hopeful.

After getting home I realized pain makes you tired. I crashed for a bit when I got home a 4 hour nap. Did some good.

I woke up to minus 7 degrees Fahrenheit.......brrrrrrrr Unfortunately I do not have the energy to start the fireplace so I am burning oil on the furnace tonight. I will burn wood in the morning for the rest of the weekend.

I thank everyone for the well wishes. The next step is a follow up in January for additional imaging to make sure all is clear and healing properly.

A lot going on in here. Nice to see all this activity from everyone! I will check back in tomorrow. Ya'll have a good night!

Peace.

morning
work train 1.jpg

Good morning from icy New Jersey. Going through my old layout photos, I found this one of a layout that I built in 2006. This was my last Märklin layout before I switched to American models. It was in the shape of a folded doggone and fully computer controlled. The track was C-track which includes a grey plastic roadbed. Trains ran well but I never actually completed the scenery on this layout. It lasted just about a year and was gone by 2007. This layout was the first time I tried to automate train operations and turned out to be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 120
Good morning, y'all. 19° and sunny this morning, should get up to 40° today and the 40s for the next five days, with a slight prospect of some winter weather Sunday night. Not bad for this time of year.

James, that procedure certainly did not sound pleasant. Hope the worst i over and that your on the mend.

Dennis: Nice work train.

Curt; You are making nice progress on your layout. Justin, Yours is coming along nicely also.

Garry: Every time you post a photo, I think Chicago. Liked the drill at the REA Building.

Willie:
As usual, nice detail. When I see your railroad scenes, I think Miles and Miles of Texas.

I have completed ballasting the first 12" of the 3 Reading tracks and both PRR / PC tracks. Looks pretty good, so far. Now I get to play with my untried Static grass device, to add the usual tall grasses. I'm going to try and get the pas site, for the tavern measured, and build that scene "off site", so as I don't wreck some of the in place foreground scenery. Hopefully, I'll have photos before the day is done.

E33 Overbrook Helper and 3 E44s on WB ore train at Valley interlocking.jpg

E33 Helper coupled to a 3 unit E44 consist on a WB Ore Train at "Valley" Interlocking, (52nd Street in West Philadelphia). Helper usually stayed on to Paoli. Allen Underkofler photo, from around 1969. I would occasionally catch one of the helpers off the Maryland Division fireman's list. The Helper crews lasted until Conrail, when the ore Trains were re-routed over the Reading.

Grundy - Amtrak era. Bill Strassner.jpg

Grundy Interlocking and Tower, from the rear end of a Westbound on #4 track. Bill Strassner photo. Grundy is in Bristol, PA, (Home of the Bristol Stomp).

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 52°, warmer than it was when I went to bed! Expecting a norther to blow in around noon to clear the clouds off and cool things down a bit. Near freezing tonight, but into the mid-60's tomorrow...upper 60's Monday through Wednesday. Just in time to clean the ashes out of the heater.
I still haven't figured out what happened to the original post that I made yesterday morning, half of the post got lined-out! Like I posted later, it must have been Russian hackers.
Please note to anyone who might be interested, the historic and famed 6666 Ranch here in Texas is now for sale. The main part of the ranch has only 142,000 acres, but it is tied to two other properties totaling 350,000 acres for an asking price of only $341 million. Scoop it up now! Main ranch property is 12 miles x 20 miles along US 82, and comes complete with it's own convenience store. The main house (among several) is 13,000 sq. ft. Cattle and quarter horses can be had in a separate deal. You could convert one of the workers houses or the bunkhouse to an excellent train room.
See here for pictures and details.

Double helping of bacon and a pair of over easy eggs to start me up this morning Flo.

Thanks once again for the many comments and likes regarding the other peoples layouts; Justin, Patrick, Dave, Gary, Sherrel, Guy, Tom O, Chad, Luke, Karl, Garry, Phil, Ken, Rick, Tom, Hughie, James.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I put down some more ground cover and touched up the ballast in the corner. Installed the fence between the pizzeria's outdoor eating area and the railroad.
IMG_5302.JPG

Not much to that.
Worked on a small detail item for a bit to put over in the pizzeria scene. I somehow mis-measured the sidewalk out front and this is what I had to look at.
IMG_5301.JPG

What to do here? I decided to just add a planter here instead of filling in with another piece of sidewalk material. Out came a kit that I got last Christmas from one of my grandsons.
IMG_5300.JPG

In it are many different plants and shrubs etc. So I picked one out that would be appropriate, although I can't recall at this time what kind of plants they are. Things here are pretty tiny. I started with cutting three stems off the sprue and gluing them to the individual flowers while they were still on the sprue.
IMG_5299.JPG

Those flowers are about the size of a poppy seed.
Then I painted a piece of .080"x.080" styrene to resemble a planter filled with dirt and drilled some tiny holes in it. Then it was stick the plants in.
IMG_5305.JPG

After trimming the planter to size and painting the exposed end, it went into place. This was the easiest part.
IMG_5306.JPG

I am on hold for a bit while I construct some picnic tables for the plaza. There will also be a short wrought iron fence across the front, just need to measure and paint it.

Guy -
we are enjoying 3°F right now
You are crazy! ;)
Dave - A little late, but good luck with the crown. I know the feeling, I have nine of them.
Luke - I think that a moderator has to change your bio. Send a PM to Sherrel or Terry to fix it.
Moermusic - Ooooh! The gravlax looks real good. Can I just call you MO? Or do you have a real name?
Gary -
what are the stars / orange slices (maybe) at the bottom like?
In case Mo doesn't see your question, that orange stuff is gravlax, it's salmon cured with salt, sugar and dill and served on a cracker. I had a neighbor when I was a kid who always had it at Christmas time. She was from Sweden.
Garry - Happy Birthday to your daughter. It makes me feel young since my oldest is just 43! ;)
Curt - I thought that I fixed that post around 10:00 CST.
Dave (PV) - While I have no regrets on my present layout, since I made all of my mistakes on several old ones; I do sometimes wish that I had made the train shed bigger. But then the realization that the reason I only made it 20' x 32' is because I realized what my maintenance capabilities might be as I got a little older. Of course I could always give up one of my other hobbies.:(
Luke - Sorry to read about your mishap. I could have been worse, thankfully it wasn't. Sorta reminds me of work. I worked in the window industry for many years. One of the hardest things to teach rookies is to not try to catch or stop falling glass, just get out of the way and let if go! Saw some serious mishaps in my career. Get mended soon.
Phil - I didn't forget Ugly Sweater Day, I chose to ignore it. Some days are just not relevant any more. Take today as an example. Today is National Hard Candy Day. OK if you haven't paid for replacement teeth like many of us, otherwise who cares?
James - Best wishes on your second recovery.

Everybody have a great day. Have an awesome weekend. Stay safe

Morning from here - 37 ° to start looking for 73 ° later on under clear sunny skies.
(KARL) Thank you but I'm at the high part of that range - blah!
JAMES - GOD bless you! That is nit a pleasant procedure. In his later years, my father had to have that done and he convinced me that it was not nice.
JOE - Just simply love the "high iron" photos - railroading at it's pinnacle.

Having a senior moment - MO-PAC - I scratched around looking for a way to get rid of that "30" ... I'm still looking, LOL!

I'll be back after a coffee charge!

G'morning Shop Dwellers! 22*F clear and calm here along the I-70 corridor.

Nothing to report in the way of mrr since I haven't felt very inspired lately. Typical for this time of year; the scarcity of sunlight affects my mood and energy level. The surging covid plague hasn't helped either. I just found out my sister has it, she's had a fever for ~12 days now - hopefully that's all she'll have to deal with before she recovers. This pandemic is like being in a war; first you read about it in the papers, then you hear shells exploding far in the distance. Each day the exploding shells get closer and louder, until they start hitting people your friends know. Soon your friends themselves start to fall, as you hear the gunshots and explosions all around your property and wonder if you or someone in your household will be the next victim.

At least there was one positive development yesterday - I found I'll be getting a nice year-end bonus that will cover the cost of the snow blower I ordered on Wednesday, so no need to sacrifice mrr funds! 👍

James - glad you've finally got this kidney stone nightmare behind you.

Kleiner - welcome to the diner!

Patrick - that station you photographed looks like it could've come right out of the Walthers catalog! IIRC, most of the prototype structures their Cornerstone kits are based on were located in Wisconsin.

Guy - looks like you picked a very "model-genic" prototype line to replicate!

Luke - enjoyed reading your tutorial on rock-crushing, I did something similar for one of my industrial lots. It's kind of a challenge finding a fixative that doesn't leave the stones looking wet even after it dries.

Well that's all the replies I have time to type this morning. I have one last Christmas shopping errand to do, need to drive to the local Best Buy parking lot for something I ordered via curbside pick-up. Waited too late to order it in time for delivery by Dec 24.

Y'all enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Morning. - Seems like we have some fairly high chinook winds howling outside on this morning. Temperature is sitting on 34°F. so we're not to far behind Sherrel on this fine Saturday morning. It is snowing, though, so it's not all good.

Willie - Anything above 0° means a person can go out and play. Too far below that line, and it starts to become similar to that line between Heaven and Hell. Except with the cold line, one really wishes they had some fire. - I really do enjoy all of your morning photos, both on you're own layout and the others you show. They are all excellent photos and a pleasure to view. The stories are very good, too. - I noticed the lines through yesterday's post: darn Russians!

James - I'm very glad to hear the medical treatment was successful, and you are fine again. Every time you got telling about it, my face contorted trying to imagine the procedure. I suppose torture is necessary in some cases.

kleiner - That looks like a nice layout plan you had in the mid 2000's. Computerized operation is far beyond where I hope to go with this hobby; believe I'll keep to the KISS system.

Weird. This posted before I could finish the post format. Either I pressed the wrong button, or those Russians are having some fun.

Not sure what's going on, so I'm just going to post a photo of what I'm working on and get out of here:
SideWalk_12-18-2020 (5).jpg

Hoping I can fix the tank-tracks look of that sidewalk with some soil between the cracks. My mistake was that I used a razor saw to cut the kurf's on the expansion joints.
Have a good day!

Last edited:
Willie - You posted while I was working on mine! NO NEED to hurry on the tables and chairs!
Outdoor dining is banned - along with all dining! Stay at home is the order of the day! :mad:
Maybe in your end of the world, but not here. We just ate indoors Thursday night at, you guessed it, Pellegrinos Italian Restaurant. All eating establishments here in Texas are allowed to have indoor dining. Our governor is not an idiot.

Luke - enjoyed reading your tutorial on rock-crushing, I did something similar for one of my industrial lots. It's kind of a challenge finding a fixative that doesn't leave the stones looking wet even after it dries.

[/QUOTE]
Ken- I have found that Woodland scenics scenic cement works very well. It takes about two days to dry, but it leaves it rock hard and dry.

Good morning from gloomy weather So. Central Wisconsin where the absolutely gorgeous weekend weather lady says there is a sun and we might see it again on Wednesday. Our legislature had the courts overrule the Governor mandates on limiting bars and eating establishments. But in my section of Wisconsin there are few folks eating inside them but curbside delivery is booming.

The grain terminal build continues and the time being spent at the bench has been flying.

Willie, I spent 12 years in the window business and 6 years in the glass business.

Great stories, pictures and here is hoping to all that the medical procedures work out great, the Covid miseries turnout fine and kidney stones issues are cured. I have had 2 kidney stone attacks and the pain was unbelievable but the stones passed in the ER.

Here is the newer version of the vertical grain dryer. Adding the ladders, cages and ground equipment next.
6D038025-D147-40BA-BA12-50E73FCCF72F.jpeg
TomO

What does it say about me when I'm running my own YouTube channel for my trains, plus channels for my two clubs? :eek:

1.jpg

Also, I recently started conversing online with a guy from Neenah, WI, who is a member of the Paper Valley MRRC. Very cool place! I'd love to go visit it.

What does it say about me when I'm running my own YouTube channel for my trains, plus channels for my two clubs? :eek:

View attachment 122078

Also, I recently started conversing online with a guy from Neenah, WI, who is a member of the Paper Valley MRRC. Very cool place! I'd love to go visit it.

Just off the top of my head - I would say that you are not married?
But I love the pic you posted there!
Glad to see you in the "Coffee Shop'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back