Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey - Nice club layout photos. They did a nice job on the sawmill and creosote setup
Dave- we have some pretty fair modelers in the club.
The GT&T is still under construction and things may move around for next year's display. I have a 1911 Ford hack I am building, but very slowly.
Notice the line waiting for the outhouse in the first picture.
Here are a couple more pics. 20201213_164255.jpg2020 riverboat.jpg
20201213_164255.jpg
2020 riverboat.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy, everybody.

That's a lot of hamburgers. ;)

Luke ....... I wondered what they were.

Joe .... I like the pictures you posted. The PRR GG1 was clean in that one photo. I like the wide radius curves and wish I had room for some on the model railroad.

Willie ..... It looks like you fit several nice looking buildings on a narrow section of the layout. Also, I see your stock yard is in location that is easy to reach. .... Thanks for your kind thoughts for our granddaughter. She still has no Covid symptoms, and we are optimistic. However, we are concerned for our son and DIL who have been exposed to the virus. Her older sister is away at college and has not had contact with her since she was infected. ..... That's a messy work table. I would be afraid to have a water bottle in the middle like that because he might absent-mindedly drink out of a wrong bottle.

Guy ..... That definitely looks cold on the lake. Our lake never has enough ice to do that.

Tom O .... I'm glad you are keeping the Evergreen plastic company in business with your dryer project. Looks good.

Curt .... Your new layout is being built quickly. .... You must have learned a lot with the previous layout.

Hughie ...... Your layout looks great !

Everybody ....... Have a good evening.

I woke up to this nasty stuff this morning.....somewhere under that white blanket is my Chevy Silverado....

20201217_080801.jpg

I headed to work and well it is a 3 lane highway each way and only 1 lane was plowed nonetheless ya couldn't see the road very well. I got half way there and I turned back. Too many idiots driving too fast and most ended up in the ditches. I counted 37 trucks and 18 cars....

So I headed back after calling the office it turned out the CEO decided to close the office. Duh a little delay reaction there. The thing is if they don't officially close the office ya have to take a day off at your expense. So ya that's why I made the attempt and my experience would have it I made back with out an incident.

20201217_105329.jpg

Ended up shoveling more snow the rest of the afternoon. Pacing myself as I didn't want to cause any more pain with the stent in. ugh. Tomorrow it comes out.

Peace

Hi Everyone - just joined this forum. I thought I would start by posting a photo of one of my older layouts that I built about 2001

This was when I was into Märklin stuff. Why Märklin? When I was a kid, my best friend had a Märklin train set that I loved running. I had told myself that when I started working and had money, I would buy one too. I had a hybrid DCC/Märklin controller called Intellibox. I enjoyed building this layout but by about 2006, I decided I preferred American models. I also grew to dislike the deep flanges and sharp curves

Attachments

• Picture_1558.jpeg
    Picture_1558.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 125
Good morning from Awesome Southern Oregon! What little snow fell a few days ago is gone, now it's clear skies and doing temps in the teens at night.
Flo...could I get a stack of the thick bread French toast with blackberry jam, a pile of pepper bacon on the side and an oj please....
I've been working on the gondola build, more pics this weekend. I've also been looking at Lukes home made ballast closely, I plan on doing the same.
Some great photo's of layouts and real world stuff. Always enjoy all of those.
Of particular note, James I hope the stent removal goes well!
Kleiner, good to see ya in the coffee shop...
Here is a car I caught the other day, (couple of weeks ago) only able to get a picture of this much, I believe it was a two bay hopper car. Nice to see some iron from the east plying the land of sagebrush & Junipers! 😁
IMG_20201125_124641769.jpg

I guess one could also consider this a short study in graffitti, if your into that! (Not Me!)

EVERY BODY HAVE A GREAT DAY....BE SAFE...STAY POSITIVE!

Morning all,

Windy and 40° this morning in Doo-Dah. Snow Tuesday didn't materialize, but the 1/3" on Wednesday morning sure confused a lot of folks. I drove the wife to work and all was well until we got to the city she works, roads were a sheet of ice. No salt, nothing. Then I remembered that the city hall and most departments were shut down due to covid. Anyway, by 10 am the sun melted all off.

Thanks again for the condolences for dad. I think the migraine was a stress reaction to both the quick travel and dealing with dad's passing. Like I said, I hadn't had one like that since before I got laid off from the previous employer. The stress at the call center job was unreal.

While I didn't get all the pictures I wanted as time didn't permit (I ended up taking the "quick" route to and from Iron River), I did take some of the defunct Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul RR station and a couple of railcars.

20201210_110849.jpg
20201210_110749.jpg

20201210_110904.jpg

The building was converted to a restaurant that closed a number of years ago. It hasn't been open since I first went there in 2012. No rails anymore in the local area. BTW: The railcars (2) are for sale.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 36° in this part of Texas. Busy here in the Coffee Shop this morning, and I haven't even seen Troy or Karl yet! We're looking at another fine day here today. High about 60° with a southerly breeze. Good day for yard work where there is no residual mud
Mostly successful grocery outing yesterday. Wife went along and kept wandering off to get stuff here and there which distracted my normal route through the store; and kept dropping stuff in the cart that I didn't take off my list. As a result, we both missed the pie crusts which means making one from scratch. More than normal stock outs on some brands that we normally purchase but there was plenty of paper towels and TP. Of course we need neither, my last trip to Target about two months ago set me up until March at least, and I only purchased one large package of each. No hoarding here, just my usual purchase.

Scrambled eggs and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. Nothing fancy today.

A big thanks to everyone who liked the layout tour photos yesterday; Luke, Karl, Dave, Tom O, Rick, Chad, Guy, Sherrel, Phil, Joe, PV Dave, Curt, Tom, Hughie, Garry, James, Justin, Gary, Jerry, Patrick.

I got some more ballasting and ground cover done yesterday in train shed. Not enough to take any pictures yet. Did some workbench modeling on a detail item for the Pizzeria that I did take pictures of, but I left the camera outside and I'm not ready to change clothes yet.
I'll post a few more pictures of that layout tour from a few years ago. This is a different modeler and layout.
train show 006.JPG

train show 007.JPG

train show 008.JPG

train show 010.JPG

train show 011.JPG

train show 012.JPG

That's all from that day. I'll get busy in the train shed this afternoon.

Dave - I have to absolutely agree that that workbench would drive me crazy. While mine is cluttered, that one is a work of art.
Karl -
Willie, your workbench looks like mine right now!
That's not mine, just a picture that I took while on a layout tour.
Tom O - I cannot take credit for the White Castle model, it was on a layout that I went to see on a layout tour. Neat story about your grandmother.
Guy - Evergreen Styrene makes sheets of metal siding material that can be used for scratchbuilding. Easier though, is to purchase some type of PikeStuff kit and start with it. You get blank walls and put doors and windows wherever you want.
That grocery store looks like it will be fun to build.
Luke - OK, how old are you really? Your bio says 30 and you posted 15! Nothing wrong with either, you just confused me!o_O We need more younger members here to keep us old fogies in line.
Mikey - How's your brother doing?
Garry - The stockyard and other photos are not from my layout. I wish that the scene along the street was though. He did a nice job on that.
Curt - You are certainly making rapid progress. Looking good.
James - Good luck with today's procedure.
Kleiner - Welcome to the Coffee Shop.

So glad that all of the snow pictures and reports are elsewhere and not here. I am a true warm weather person. We're not immune to snow here, but it's usually gone in a day or two. Although one winter we had 4-12" events over two months. That was the year that our local county EMS service got a judge to issue an injunction requiring the county road maintenance departments to send graders out to clear the roads so emergency vehicles could get through.
Everyone have a great day. Looks like Karl showed up while I was composing.

Last edited:
Morning! The incredible high winds of yesterday blew lots of our snow to the east and warmer air in. I had hardly anything left to shovel when the wind was done. Homes in the area had their roofs cleaned off. Perhaps some of that mess in James back yard came from here. - Anyway, we are enjoying 3°F right now and headed up into the high 20's, with very little snow on the ground.

Jerry - I find the de-facing and vandalism done by the 'artist's' on railway equipment to be despicable. Personally, I'm all for removing the artists fingers rather than expensive jail time or fines. - Mind you, then they would likely use their tongue to press the head on a spray-bomb.
Patrick - Good to see you back - although, you are returning from a very sad and difficult time. - Glad you are well enough to snap some nice photos of a fine looking station.

I was messing around yesterday, trying to make 6 linear feet of sidewalk out of balsa. Left the project in a paint drying stage late last night. Photographs will be forthcoming when I get something built that's worth photographing. - I'm going to get back to work on that; just as soon as I can have a warm BLT and a couple of coffee.

I'm finding it difficult to envision what I want for a layout without a complete table platform in front of me. All I have so far, is a 4' wide module top to work with. At this point, I believe the end will be a dog-bone style layout built in a 12'x14' space. - Seems like it's going to be an invent and build as I go project.
I do know that I want to model based on the real-life scenario in the area I live. If one followed the tracks NW to the end, you would find yourself on a return loop in the Kaybob oilfield district, and on your way back to Whitecourt. Here is a map photo of the Kaybob end-of-tracks:
Kabob.png

Kinda looks like a perfect scenario for a dog-bone to me. Along the way to Kabob, there would be gravel, silica, logging, paper, more oil, and two major rivers to cross.
It will keep me busy for awhile! That's a good thing; keep the heart and mind ticking!

Here's a photo of some more playing around from yesterday; trying to get a start on positioning:
TwnLayout_12-17-2020.jpg

I want the main street out front, as I want children to be able to push automobile's around and play in town, as well as run trains. By the time I get this built, the G-kids should be old enough to enjoy it.

Have a great day!

Good morning from St. Paul,

Tons of posts since my yesterday news. We have no snow and today expecting 37 for a high. I am at work today but have to leave early to get a tooth chopped off for the crown 😢

McLeod - The lake you fish on looks just like our Boundary Waters Wilderness terrain. Thanks for showing it!

Luke - you are 15? never would have guessed

TomO - the dryer looks a lot better without the blue

Curt - way to go with the reverse loop

Mikey - lots of stuff on the layout yet it doesn't appear crowded. That takes some talent!

James - hope the stent op goes well

Everyone, thanks for the likes and comments

My Varney 4-6-0 Casey Jones came yesterday. That is an antique. However looking closely at the prototype (NP328), this comes by far the closest of any of the other models I could locate (Bachmann, Rivarossi)

The cab, headlight, and config. on the boiler are really close. I will have to clean it up, paint it, and add decals. Maybe some other details as well, I notice in the prototype photos a couple pilots are evident.

My new model:

460-1.jpg

They must call it the screwdriver because it came in a model that you assemble. This one was already assembled.

460-2.jpg

from the other side. This loco weighs like 10 pounds

Prototyope:

328-TF turntable.PNG

Thats all for now, I am taking a 3 day weekend so may not be back till Tuesday.

Dave LASM

Good morning from damp, cloudy and gloomy So. Central Wisconsin. Heading into the mid 30’s but the wind chill is running about 10 less then actual. It’s not nice out there today.

Great pictures and stories as always.

The grain dryer does look better in aluminum but that was a primer blue coat and the new dryer will not have any blue, just the aluminum silver color. The specks on yesterday’s picture were from dust on the lenses of the camera. Terry noticed it when she saw the picture.

Everyone be safe
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back