Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Better get your fill while you can, dunno what they'll do once Ford and Holden shut up manufacturing shop. They do intend to keep selling cars etc here, but whether there'll be any RWD's to base them on is a moot point. Are there any in the Ford/GM line-up over there? Chrysler, Volvo and Mercedes as you're probably aware are fielding cars now. I haven't followed it greatly for a long time, more interested in the club racing of sports cars and small coupes/sedans instead.

Ford has no RWD cars here other than the Mustang, but Chevy has started importing Holdens as Caprices. Just as police cars for now,

chevrolet-caprice-pp-1_600x0w.jpg

but next year rumor has it a "civilian" version,

2013-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-lg.jpg

with a Corvette motor, capable of eating BMW's in a single gulp,,,,,Should be interesting:cool:

We have a girl at the office who has a Pontiac G-8, which is the same car and she knows the sheriff deputies and highway patrolman on a first name basis.

We have a girl at the office who has a Pontiac G-8, which is the same car and she knows the sheriff deputies and highway patrolman on a first name basis.

Montanan, that's funny!
Good to see many of the regulars here this morning.
It's 45 at the moment - expected to get to 78 today - still very dry, fire warnings everywhere.
Wonder if Jeffrey got his new TV yesterday?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my package of two brand new Kato N scale GE ES44AC locomotives yesterday noon, having placed the order only friday.....quick shipping! They are finished in the striking red, white and black canadian national livery.....which was the main attraction that compelled me to get them. They are a recent new release from Kato, october 2014, and were at a slightly better than usual price on ebay. They both appear sparkling new in perfect condition, and show no signs of previous handling.....nice! When I put them on the track for the first time an hour ago.....one ran fine normal quiet.....and the other made a buzzing sound. I looked it over closely and saw nothing out of whack. So I hooked the noisy engine by itself to the 54 car coal train already on my one scale mile loop. It easily pulled the long consist without spinning any drive wheels....gotta love these katos! And after three laps the initial buzzing noise completely disappeared. Then I ran the other quiet engine by itself a few laps pulling the train....no problems....all good. Now they are dragging the coal lashed together getting a good break-in in both directions. A great Kato day so far. :D

These two locomotives are the only model train items I've bought all year. But I was already pretty well stocked up. :rolleyes:

Hi Fellas, long time no see!

I was having some extreme pain in my shoulders, and thought that it was the beginning of an RSD Crisis. That's where the damaged nerves just start sending pain messages for no reason at all, at a much higher and stronger rate than "normal". I went to my Neurologist who thought that instead, it was Orthopedic in nature and he got me an appointment with one that very day. After a series of x-rays, he determined that I had a very bad case of bursitis, with impingement of the shoulder and that had spread the inflammation into the 4 rotator cuff tendons.

<SNIP>

To top it all off, I got re-ended by someone while stopped at a red light, last Sat.:mad: Fortunately no one was injured, but I actually dodged a bullet as the other driver tried to swerve out of the way, and basically just clipped the rear end of my trunk. It's in the shop at the dealer and should be fixed soon. Her car really got the worst of the encounter.

It's nice to be back, but it's still a trick to try to do something like type, so you may find that some of my answers to question may be short, as it, right now I'm still basically using one hand to type with.

C Y'all Later!

Glad you're back to something approaching normal! I was going to ask the Captain about you when I spoke to him again. With I-Hobby, RPM and Trainfest so close together and his travel we've been out of touch for about a month.

I've been refreshing my knowledge (what little I have) about photography hoping to improve photos of the layout. I am concluding I need a better camera if I want more depth of field, but I have no new cameras in the budget.

Happy model railroading, everybody.

I didn't think there was anything that could be improved about your work!! Your stuff is always the top of the line.

Another zero degree (F) morning but it sounds like it is going to warm up above freezing around thanksgiving. That would be great if the snow melted!! Either way, it is good weather to be inside working on the model railway. lasm

Evening All,

Kind of frustrated with the hobby of MRR'ing tonight. I was running one of my 4-6-2 locos through the 4 new switches and I noticed it would run forward through the divergent route of both turnouts but the tender would derail every time backing through. This is at 15-20 smph. Not a power issue but a track issue. Looking closely it looks like the front tender truck is lifting but the turnouts are as level as I can make them. I have shimmed and filed the inside rail guards with no change. of course I can run my 0-8-0 through forward and reverse with speeds up to 70 smph with no issues. Thinking while typing this I realize that I did not gauge the loco or track-Pretty dumb on my part. Will someone please remind me how much I enjoy MRR'ing?

Mike-Sounds like a great MRR'ing day!

Sherrel- Don't forget Florida.

Garry-
I agree. Your modeling is always top notch and a inspiration.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Ruddy day here. Cold & windy all day, tomorrow might get over freezing, but its supposed to be 60 on Sunday?

Took the day off today, sinus issues sent me home early Monday and straight to bed. Up & down today, but now I feel better.

My old PC that had not real job except to run JMRI and make programming easier too a dump, I press the button, nothing happens. Yes I did make sure it was plugged in! New power supply is needed I guess. The last one I installed had a 3 year warranty, but that was 4 years ago!:( Maybe its time I upgrade from an XP machine on the layout anyway.

blackdiamondexpress.jpg

Karl, I've seen other photos from you, but this one is just AWESOME!

Just remember .... I have no way to adequately express how much I hate WIN8! Fix the XP machine!

Karl, I've seen other photos from you, but this one is just AWESOME!

Just remember .... I have no way to adequately express how much I hate WIN8! Fix the XP machine!

Maybe I should have rephrased this,,,Maybe I should try to find a suitable Win7 machine rather than fix the Win 95 to Win 98 to XP machine. It is getting old!!

Glad you liked the pic.

P1010207.jpg

Same location, different angle & different train

Karl, sorry to hear about the old XP's passing. I still remember all the different "wallpapers" that would display on it's monitor every time I came over. I'd try to find a used Win7 machine in good condition, Win8 would be too much of a culture shock!

Carey - great to see you posting here again, bummer that you had to go thru what you did though :(. Hopefully the PT will help you get back to your earlier functionality.

Garry, I concur with the others that your photography is already world-class. I have a Canon Digital Rebel and even with that, all the pics of my layout still come out looking like crap! (Of course, it might help if I added some scenery and a few structures...)

Curt - I feel your pain about the derailment problem, my ballast-induced yard track issues a few weeks ago are still fresh in my mind! Was it a track guage problem like you mentioned?

Joe - I picked up a Geo. Roberts kit at the last Timonium show for ~$20, I can't wait to get it built and installed. There was a distillery near here whose building walls all looked similar to that.

Corey - that's great that your former clothing customers are bringing their business to you! Guess all those years of good customer service are paying dividends now.

las, I totally agree, subfreezing temps are perfect for staying inside and doing mrr. As I was going up my driveway this afternoon I noticed vast expanses of brown on my lawn - a beautiful sight (I hate mowing!)

Sorry if I missed anybody...

mrr news: I finally finished the coaling tower kit, I added rain-wash rust stains at strategic places and that improved it quite a bit. Absolutely not contest quality, but at least it doesn't look quite as toylike as it did before. Tomorrow: The roundhouse!

Milwaukee Road 113;364023 [ATTACH=full said:
104594[/ATTACH]

Having grown up somewhat near these areas were a number of the shots were taken I'll try and give a bit of naration to them to help get a better understanding of where they are at. David Smith

These next three sots I believe are taken showing the train as it drops down into the Simi Valley from Santa Susana pass but I'm not 100% certain of that as they could also be from in the Ojai area which is to the north of the Simi Valley or even as the line heads over towards Camareo where I think the line starts to follow the coast more as it heads North?

cuesta4_zpsmapgq9ok.jpg

cuesta2_zpszihsm60z.jpg

cuesta3_zps8pyzifl3.jpg

by_the_sea2_zpsribpvfj4.jpg

by_the_sea3_zpsxw1fjhq9.jpg

I grew up in Woodland Hills which is about 7 miles South of the actual start of Santa Susana Pass on the Valley floor. These two shots are taken a fair ways up the pass though, I think not too far from the top as it heads over towards the Simi Valley. I'm fairly certain the higher hills you see in the background are the Santa Monica Mountains which are South of the Simi Pass area by about 8 miles and separate the San Fernando Valley from the Pacific ocean 14 miles farther South. The home I grew up in was just off Topanga Canyon Blvd as it headed up into the Santa Monica Mountains and through the Canyon and came out on Hwy 101 or the Coast Route. If you turned Left you went down to Santa Monica but I don't recall there were any track that crossed Topanga Canyon shortly before reaching 101 and I'm almost certain there was no rail line you went under a bridge either as the hillsides to the North if you turned Right were composed of nothing but sand stone and washed away with heavy rains, which I heard about on the news a few times over the years.

This shot of the Daylight is taken as it climbs the grade of Santa Susana Pass from the San Ferando Valley floor below. These last two shots are inland by at least 20 miles from the actual Pacific ocean. The rail line is on it's journey over these hills and then down into the Simi-Valley. To get a better idea of the grade in this shot hold a straight edge so the lower edge just sits on top of the smoke stak and keep it parallel with the bottom of the picture and the lower edge should come out on top of the last truck of the second car so it seems fairly steep at that point!

santa_suzana_zpsy5xirxg0.jpg

This second shot is farther up the pass I believe but I'm not sure if it is farther up from the prior sot.

santa_suzana2_zpsbwvzssh2.jpg

Evening all,
Hi Flow & Francine, Hope your both having a good night, mines not going to bad but getting a considerable later start posting than intended.

The weatheher today was fairly nice, right now at 8:00 Pm it's 50.0 °F but feels Like 46 °F, the Humidity is 32% and winds are at 8.9 mph from the East. Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today, today's High 71 | Low 48 °F

= = = =

I received my first issue of Railroad Model Craftsman yesterday and only browsed through it slightly but then and just looked at it better earlier tonight and it looks to be very nicely done with better quality cover stock in high gloss as well as the pages which puts the magazine construction and materials in the category of the Narrow Gauge & Short line Gazette and the articles in MRC seem to be very nicely done too.

One thing I did notice that might be of interest to many of you as well as myself is that Woodland Scenics is now offering a new lighting system called, 'Just Plug Lighting System', which is all modular. Each unit controls up to four lights, each with their own on/off push button & dimmer control and it appears that the lights are Diodes with preinstalled phone jack type plugs to go into the back of the control units. If you need to add more of the control units they have a master control unit that gives you five connectors to go to five of the other control units. It seems very interesting to offer differnt effects for our buildings.

Ruddy day here. Cold & windy all day, tomorrow might get over freezing, but its supposed to be 60 on Sunday?

Took the day off today, sinus issues sent me home early Monday and straight to bed. Up & down today, but now I feel better.

My old PC that had not real job except to run JMRI and make programming easier too a dump, I press the button, nothing happens. Yes I did make sure it was plugged in! New power supply is needed I guess. The last one I installed had a 3 year warranty, but that was 4 years ago!:( Maybe its time I upgrade from an XP machine on the layout anyway.

View attachment 46562

Hey Karl, glad to hear you are feeling better. You were smart to take a rest when needed.

As for the PC I think you would be better off to buy another. I would not want to repair an XP system with out upgrading the operating system. You never know when it would come in handy for another purpose other then your model railroad.

I am super cheap and when I buy a system for myself I buy rebuilt systems. Newegg or Tiger Direct are both good sources for about $200-$500 depending on how many bells and whistles you want. The last one I got came from J&R electronics in new York, the one I am still using now and have been using for the last 3 years.

One more thing, don't be afraid of windows 8. My wife uses it and it's great. A bit of a steep learning curve because it is so different but don't believe all the negative stuff about it. I think most of the negative stuff comes from people who don't know how to use it or stick in the mud people who don't like change. Keep an open mind and you will pick it up quickly. My wife is no computer guru and she has no troubles at all once she got use to it. Now I want it too! When I want a new computer of course the one I have lasts way beyond what it should!

Sorry Sirfoldalot, no offense intended.

BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning! Today is Wed 11/19/14.

Windy with a high of 33. Working at the club today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning everyone,

22 with clear skies in south east Baltimore.

Made lots of progress yesterday with my holiday preparations and hoping for the same today, God willing.

Have a great day everybody!

Re MILW113's pictures. The location near San Luis Obispo is I believe correct, in fact just on it's northern suburbs. The pass being the Cuesta Pass. If you Google maps that and follow the track south (it doubles back on itself several times), you'll come to where it crosses Stenner Creek Rd, or look for that. Change to Earth view and move to the south a bit and wait for the photos to appear across the bottom of your screen, there is one of the trestle itself (with a train on it) which has been taken from a slightly lower position in the creek valley. It is unmistakenly the same trestle with the mountain behind.

Moving further to the west following the rail track will reveal the curve (Goldtree horseshoe, although Google maps didn't identify it nor the Stenner Creek Trestle) that the train goes around to turn back to the mountain in that shot of it rounding that. At one point along that northern approach journey there is a photo of the AMTRAK Coast Starlight ascending toward it.

Morning all.

Great photos of the Daylight. I was going west on I-90 a few years back between Bozeman and Belgrade, MT when I notices a strange headlight pattern from what you usually see in the rails that parallel I-90. When it for closer, I saw that it was the daylight. After almost peeing my pants, I authorized myself to use one of the breaks in the median and raced east to Bozeman Pass where I got some great photos of it climbing the pass.

Did anyone happen to see the series on Travel Channel last Sunday called "Tricked Out Trains"? I found it quite interesting. It was about people who rescued different passenger cars and restored them into private cars. It was on Sunday evening. Apparently is is a series.

Good Morning,21°, and sunny today, going to 33°. I'm going X-mas shopping today....meaning, I'm going out to buy suitable gifts for my wife. I'm a little early, for once, but if I put it off, like I usually do, I get "stressed". I have a few things to do here right after Thanksgiving, and I don't need to have to worry about dropping everything to join the crowds.

Ken: The biggest challenge to building the George Roberts building is painting it. Either way, a lot of masking is involved. I used "City Classics" corner braces to square up and support the corners, and then added some additional structural support for the roof and to correct warpage. I'm still a long way from complete on this project.

Karl:
Condolences on the expiration of the XP machine......:rolleyes:. I understand where you are coming from. I need something for my layout, since JMRI and MRC now "talk" to each other, but I can't find anything that's cheap and fits the location......

Louis: I'm giving up on sports. The Devils lost again......:mad:and the Maple leafs got their butts kicked big time (9-2), by Nashville. :mad::mad:.

The wife's car goes to the dealer tomorrow for the "ignition" recall, mine goes 12/3. Great fun, eh?

Joe

Thanks for all the info gentlemen, tremendously appreciated, as always!

Just woke up here, 02:52 pm....quick bite and back to zZZzzzzZZzzz...

Hope that everyone's off to a good start...

IMG_217502613227293_zpsk1nfjevs.jpg

Thanks, everybody for commenting about my photos. I still have trouble with depth of field, and I was trying to solve that.

M R 113 .... I like the GN train photo. I see it is in electrified territory. Would like to see the electric loco up front. GN had a couple of huge electric powered locomotives.

Here is the NKP Berkshire 765

MISC_NKP765andPM1225AlmaMI10091.jpg

Back