Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Careful fellas, you're getting dangerously close to politics. That's verboten here! ;)

I remember people complaining about not wanting that stupid FM radio or power steering. Never mind the automatic light dimmers! I just bough a laptop with windows 8.1 & touchscreen. A little frustrating at first but I got the hang of it. I bought it because that's the way the market is going. Same with cars. The key demographic (people younger than us) want that interactivity. That darned free market again!

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Windows 8 is quite a problem. I use Windows 7 at home and at work, but we did pick up one new computer with windows 8 and found that a lot of the programs we use won't work with it. We installed windows 7 on it, doing away with 8. The same happened where my wife works. My son does IT work at his job, same problems there too.

I guess manufacturers think people are like sheep and will pay for things if the want it or nor. Love the salesmen saying, "Well, it standard equipment". Yeah right, they're giving it to us for nothing. Sorry, not me. When they want $30,000 plus for a new car, It's my way or the highway. Here I am going down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have any problems with program compatibility. Office, I tunes, Canon photo software and a few other programs all run fine. The touchscreen was a little hard to get used to but now I find myself tapping the screen out of habit, even on machines that don't have one, which is embarrassing at times.

We have certain programs that we use and found that they are not compatible with Windows 8. In my wifes case, they were trying to install a program for accepting credit cards and had a guy working for three days trying to get the new program to work and finally found out that the problem was Windows 8. It worked fine on computers with 7.

We also ran into a problem with the new IE update. My wife is the secretary on our bowling league and when we tried to update the bowling program for the new season, we couldn't access that program at all. After talking with tech support, he asked what version of IE we had. Found that the update was the problem. I went and deleted the update (one of the hated automatic updates) and went to the older version and everything worked just fine. Even though we use Firefox instead ot IE, it was still in the computer which caused the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well, time to get ready for the last shift before the weekend....and to decide, another Alco RS-3 and RS-11 or, two to three Milwaukee Road books.....

Decisions, decisions....lol

3968389448_2f821bea01_b_zpsgau1ijhh.jpg

Evening All,

Woke up this morning with a sore throat and stuffy nose, and now my throat is just a little scratchy and my nose is fine. Must be that extreme cold weather we just got in central FL.:rolleyes:. Cleaned house today and did laundry. Had chili and rice for supper. Tomorrow I am going up to the train shop and I should see Phil there.

Dave- I checked out everything you suggested and nothing appears to be different between the 2 spectrums. I did notice the tenders feel pretty light so I am thinking about adding a little weight in them to see if that helps.

Ken- Your tower looks great. I have the same one and it is not near as nice.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Oh well, time to get ready for the last shift before the weekend....and to decide, another Alco RS-3 and RS-11 or, two to three Milwaukee Road books.....

What is that loco? It looks Alco, but a rounded peaked nose? An extended pilot with a ledge?

Good evening everyone.
Hi Francine, how is your nite going? That's good to hear. I just have a cup of coffee and maybe a slice of Mincemeat pie if you have any? Oh, you don't,but you have Rubarb, say no more, a slice of that is great.

Todays weather was very cloudy and it did start to rain a bit earlier but that didn't last long. A little while prior I figured I ought to use some of the Mothers Wax I bought on the paint areas of my Eclipse, the hood, roof and rear lift-gate Air Foil where the Clear Coat had flaked off to protect the paint as best I could and cleaned all the areas with a old scouring sponge pad to help remove any loose clear coat and help to clean the paint surface too. I then applied a liberal coat of Mothers Wax and went inside for a while. when I went back out about 45 minutes the wax had dried and I buffed it off using a clean old white sock.

= = = =
Evening All,
Had chili and rice for supper. Tomorrow I am going up to the train shop and I should see Phil there.

Dave- I checked out everything you suggested and nothing appears to be different between the 2 spectrums. I did notice the tenders feel pretty light so I am thinking about adding a little weight in them to see if that helps.
Hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt, I probably should have asked exactly what was derailing as it seems from what you say it was more the tender trucks you were having a problem with. Well to start with, unless you have about a 500 gallons of water in the tender and some coal it's going to be on the lite side. LoL
I have had a problems with one of my tenders too, it seems that the draw-bar doesn't allow enough flexibility and it seems the tender trucks are hard to get alighned properly so they all set firmly on the rail head. Come to think of it, I may have the screw tightened too much so the draw bar doesn't have much horizontal flex. That might be your problem too possibly? Anyway it should prove interesting to learn what's causing the derailments?

An Alco ha, Ok, I'll buy that. Now can someone tell me what that thing is riding in the middle of the rail with it's own relieved area but just above the ties by about 8 to 10"s? I've never noticed anything like that before. The only thing I can figure it could be is a lower lift mechanism to push up on the uncoupling pin as I don't see any cutting bar on the front above the coupler but possibly that is done with some kind of servo unit in the cab? I think I had better wait for a smarter explanation!

David writes: "An Alco ha, Ok, I'll buy that. Now can someone tell me what that thing is riding in the middle of the rail with it's own relieved area but just above the ties by about 8 to 10"s? I've never noticed anything like that before. The only thing I can figure it could be is a lower lift mechanism to push up on the uncoupling pin as I don't see any cutting bar on the front above the coupler but possibly that is done with some kind of servo unit in the cab? I think I had better wait for a smarter explanation!"

The "thing" is a "Steam Heat Metallic (or connector), found on all passenger locomotives and passenger service cars during the steam heat era.

Joe

Fairbanks Morse didn't have the floor space to build these locos, so they contracted with GE to build them at Erie, thus the nickname. The Milwaukee's were originally purchased for Olympian Hiawatha service but were replaced with EMDs. If you look very closely, the Olympian Hiawatha name is on the loco's side in raised lettering.

Howdy.

Joe. Glad you enjoyed my story. I was laughing so hard with horns beeping and lights flashing, it was quite a While before I could turn them off. .. I have another funny story involving a car alarm, but it was with thePorsche. I will save it for when I have more time to type.

Regarding the MILW FM Erie -Built locomotives. I saw some as a kid growing up near Chicago. The FM's were in their final days of service hauling suburban passenger trains. They were in bad shape in UP yellow paint scheme. I recall seeing a side panel had been repaired with a plywood sheet instead of sheet metal. The plywood was painted yellow to match the rest of the engine. It was a dirty, grimly, sad looking locomotive. I saw only A units. ... I have HO models of an Erie Built ABA in Santa Fe colors.

Model railroad progress. As of today, my Atlas Siver Series Burlington SD24's have Soundtraxx Tsunami decodes installed . I am very pleased with the results.

COFFEE_POURING-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Fri 11/21/14.

DINER_SEATS.png

Cold with a high of 30. Going to the club this morning and Kokomo later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning everybody!

31 with clear skies in south east Baltimore

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Be glad there is no sound on this forum, I can't sing, but it has never stopped me from singing Christmas songs!

Have a great day everybody!

Back