Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Good morning all!
Sitting here with coffee & Poptarts,,,breakfast of champions!!:rolleyes:
Warm and quite humid, going for downright HOT later today with scattered showers (yech) Gonna try to do some airbrushing later so the garage fans are already running.
Had a nice dinner out with SWMBO last night for our anniversary at a place call Liberatore's. I had a shrimp cocktail appetizer and Veal Parmigiana with pasta,,,the veal slab was huge! Covered my plate!! The had the pasta in a side dish. , The wife had crab dip and then a chicken alfredo serving in a huge bowl, we brought half of the crab dip and the alfredo home. All of it was delicious and very filling. Ken, its easy to get to, at 140 Village!
Also on today's agenda, I am going to attempt to hand rivet together a set of Mantua Mikado valve gear. Haven't done a full set in years,,,,this ought be fun!:rolleyes:

Article shark.jpg

Later Gators!!

An incident this morning brought to mind a discussion I was having on another forum weeks ago. It had to do with how I drive. Being that the lower half of my right leg is long gone I can't press down on the throttle pedal in the conventional manner. Instead I have to rotate my right hip forward so the foot of my prosthetic leg is pushed against the pedal. The person I was telling this this discussion with had nothing to say about it but someone else chimed in and said "that's so much BS and I don't believe it for a minute. Subject closed". That tells me this individual has little or no knowledge about prosthetic legs and had no desire to learn. Maybe he thought the ankle joint should allow the foot to be pushed down or something. Mine doesn't work that way.

Found out yesterday that olives are a no-no for me. Today I had pizza for lunch. Feel OK so far but the day is young. Found out the hard way this morning that sneezes are to be avoided if at all possible. Had a big sneeze while my nurse was changing my dressings. I've had worse pain but I can't remember when.

If there's a report of a nuclear explosion in Maryland I'll at least know why.

Valve linkage is assembled , Waiting for paint on steam chest and frame to dry....no explosion, in fact , this is the 1st time I have assembled valve gear without boogering up a rivet or two! :cool:

Project hazards. Not much different from me repowering a metal Varney F3 shell. There are a few things that have to be done to properly mate the Athearn chassis with the Varney shell. Screw it up and the project is botched.

11:am Tuesday 2nd here. All week the forecast has had it that today (official 2nd day of spring), we will have temps of 84-86F (29-30c) and sunny and clear. Unless the medium-high cloud cover clears soon it ain't gonn'a happen. Currently 68F in the house, very mild.

Good afternoon coffee shop RR's, Almost needless to say it's still quite hot out my way, 95.7 °F - Feels Like 92 °F with Humidity at 18% going to 37% at 11:00 Pm. Winds are out of the SW at 6.3. To nights low will be 67 °F which isn't all that low, but it could be worse?

Joe & Karl: I also meant to let you both know that I also appreciate your Sons' service in the Military. Let them know their service is appreciated as well as keeping themselves as safe as possible!

On my water line leak situation I decided to try and dig out the hole area a bit wider including the drainage area which helped to open the area a bit more which enabled me to get to the pipe easier. The bank area, actually would have been up to a good 3' to 4' of digging and that's too much for this old guy.

Fortunately my neighbor has the two connector fittings I need, I'm fairly sure plus some high pressure flexible line that should make the repair a lot easier. I used it on the pressure tank connection which had a bit of an odd jog when trying to connect the water line and it worked great. So this same stuff should make the splice connection a piece of cake as long ad it's about 10"s or longer.

How, the heavy wall Vinal pipe became scrapped as it did is beyond me as it very tough stuff.

So I off the neighbors to get a couple of fittings and a section of flexable high pressure line. Maybe I can get the job done this evening? Things are getting fairly dry not being able to water like I need too.

Mwahahahaha!! Its alive! Sort of...

2014-09-01 21.22.00.jpg

At least when I apply power, the wheels go around! The open frame motor is only temporary, while I think of what combo can/flywheel/gearbox combo I'm going to use. Then I have to decide on the superstructure and which tender to use......yes.......its a Frankenstein.

ThatsFraunkenschteen to you Fraü Blücher!
original.0
:cool: :rolleyes: ;)

Good evening. temp: 78°, humidity: 93%. Chance of thunderstorms tonight is 50%.

Well I ate the pizza about six hours ago and it hasn't disagreed with me yet. I can take a deep breath with no problems. I have three doctors appointments in town starting Thursday.

9/4/14 10:30am Thursday, Guru Ghanta, followup on my recent surgery.
9/8/14 8:40am Monday, Doctor Traina, Wants to look at my foot and do a test to see what my blood circulation is like.
9/15/14 Tuesday 9:15am Allamar Hussein, general checkup.

Time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow.

Image6-1.jpg

Image11.jpg

DSCN6803.jpg

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

Good Morning!

It's Tue 9/2/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Scattered showers with a high of 83. I'll probably mow the yard today.

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning everyone!

Hot and humid in Baltimore today, thank God for air-conditioning!

I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Garry you should work for mad magazine!

Jeffery, Great pictures and I'm glad to hear the Pizza was no trouble, life with out Pizza would be difficult at best. About that goofball that tried to tell you about your driving, he or her is just an ass and you know there is only one thing that comes from and ass. Good on you my friend for keep on keeping on! Where there is a will, there is a way! You are an inspiration for us all!

Karl congratulations on your work! I have a restaurant recommendation for you if you are in the Essex area, Al's Seafood on Eastern Blvd. and Stemmers Run road. I love their cream of crab soup and I had a bacon cheese burger that was perfect! It was so pretty I had to just look at before I ate half of it. One bowl of the cream of crab soup is so filling I could not finish my burger and fries! My wife asked me "who goes to a seafood restaurant and orders a burger and fries" I said "me" You think she would be expecting it by now. For me a perfectly cooked burger is better then steak and they don't serve hotdogs. My wife makes the best crab cakes so I never order them when I am out.
My beagles caught the scent of the excellent left over burger I brought home and as soon as no one was looking it was gone! You can't hide nothing from the nose of a beagle.

A question for my fellow Marylanders
, on the subject of food. Has anyone noticed the Esskay hotdogs are not as good as they use to be? I have and trust me I know my hotdogs! A friend of mine told me Smithfield (Esskay's parent company) was bought out by a company from China, that would explain it, if its true. I wrote to Esskay and they said they changed their equipment they use to make the hotdogs and we working to adjust it. They also sent me some coupons. I don't want coupons, I want my original Esskay hotdog! That was months ago and they are still not any better!
I know it may seem like a trivial thing, but if you know me, you know hotdogs are anything but trivial to me!
Now I am worried they will screw up my Esskay Silver label ham. Esskay, please don't mess with my Christmas and Easter dinners!!!

Jeffery, Great pictures and I'm glad to hear the Pizza was no trouble, life with out Pizza would be difficult at best. About that goofball that tried to tell you about your driving, he or her is just an ass and you know there is only one thing that comes from and ass. Good on you my friend for keep on keeping on! Where there is a will, there is a way! You are an inspiration for us all!

Louis: One of the things I consider when I have something negative come up is if that is THE worst the situation can be. If it isn't THE worst then there's cause for celebration. That's a positive. And It's important to keep a positive attitude in the face of adversity. A negative attitude does nobody any good.

Good morning. It's 82° with 85% humidity. Maybe I won't get soaked from just going outside. The high will be 90°. Cloudy with a fair chance of thunderstorms.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond50.jpg

Didn't have any problems with the pizza yesterday. So far problem foods are smoked sausage, beans, olives.

Looks like I need to get a new mouse. Mine is double clicking and cross clicking. The gas tank select switch on the truck broke yesterday. broke right out of it's mount. Right now I have it temporarily secured in place. I think I should get some epoxy and glue it back where it belongs then put a small bag of expanding foam behind it to keep it pressed into it's place. Got some bills to pay today and the grocery shopping needs to be done. I also need a new tip for my cane.

IMAGE39.jpg

IMAGE34.jpg

IMAGE10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jeffery!

I agree with you 100% a good attitude and positive outlook is the only way to be happy day after day!

Is that a convertible thunderbird? Great cars!

Louis writes:
*>> "Has anyone noticed the Esskay hotdogs are not as good as they use to be? I have and trust me I know my hotdogs! A friend of mine told me Smithfield (Esskay's parent company) was bought out by a company from China, that would explain it, if its true. I wrote to Esskay and they said they changed their equipment they use to make the hotdogs and we working to adjust it. They also sent me some coupons. I don't want coupons, I want my original Esskay hotdog! That was months ago and they are still not any better!" <<

Louis, It's not your imagination, Esskay Hot dogs are NOT as good as they used to be. Here in Jersey, we have access to some good hot dogs (Sabrett and Nathans etc), but Esskay Hot dogs and Half Smokes were the best. It go to the point that on my way back from Timonium, I would stop at the Giant in Belair, and pick up a couple packages of Esskay Hot dogs.

Last summer (2013) the local Walmart had different Esskay products available, (I suppose they got a good deal), so I bought them, but they lacked something. Definitely, not as good as I remember. I did not know they were owned by Smithfield, and there was a proposal by a Chinese company to buy Smithfield, but I'm not sure if the sale ever closed. That's why I read labels, my trains might come from China, but not my food (or my cat's food).

Joe

Back