Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's 75 with 91% humidity. The high will be 95°. Cloudy with a fair chance of rain.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond40.jpg

Not feeling good today so I probably won't be on much. Looks like I won't be able to get the van running right or get a large van or full size pickup to replace it so that has me depressed too. I've already had to postpone, reschedule or cancel a number of important appointments because I had no way to get there and back. An appointment that was cancelled was to get my prosthesis refitted so it's more comfortable and won't try to eat my knee for it's lunch. I ended up having to make a number of small modifications myself. It's better but I still get friction burns. I can't even go grocery shopping when I want to. I have to wait until someone else is going. Well, enough of that.

Looks like today will be committed to rest. I have no plans to do anything and I mean nothing.

squirellmassage1.gif

gonecrazy.jpg

77° and Rain right now, hot and muggy later, then rain through Wednesday. Hope so, my lawn needs it. Plan for the week, paint. (ugh!).

Nothing exciting happens around here..............which is probably a good thing :rolleyes:.

Joe

Got a call from my father. We've found a 318 at the local scrap yard. Supposedly in good condition with a ninety day warranty. He says he'll pay for getting it installed provided I buy it. The purchase price is $600. Right now, at this moment I have $50 on hand.

gonecrazy.jpg

jeffrey, A used motor is not the way to go. better to just buy something that is already running good. By the time you get the motor that is no good & paying to get it installed to find out the 90 day warranty is a waste of time & have to get another motor & pay to get that one installed you will probably have about 2 grand tied up in a pc. of junk that's not even worth 2 hundred bucks. Been there done that many times. If I had the money to spare I would send it to you in a flash. Cheer up, it could be worse. take care of yourself buddy.
Larry

jeffrey, A used motor is not the way to go. better to just buy something that is already running good. By the time you get the motor that is no good & paying to get it installed to find out the 90 day warranty is a waste of time & have to get another motor & pay to get that one installed you will probably have about 2 grand tied up in a pc. of junk that's not even worth 2 hundred bucks. Been there done that many times. If I had the money to spare I would send it to you in a flash. Cheer up, it could be worse. take care of yourself buddy.
Larry
I wish I had the money to get another vehicle. Down here that can run $3,000 or more just to get one that's road worthy. But I don't have that kind of money. However with help I can scrape together $550 to buy the 318 and my father will pay to have it installed. It's not something he wants to do but he knows that it's important and therefore he's committing himself to it. He's said that I can use old '92 F150 but we both know it's as big a disaster as my van is.

I thought the 318 ran & u had vapor lock??
Vapor lock keeps it from starting when the engine is hot. There are additional problems. The top side is real loose. The engine is a disaster. It just hasn't picked it's time and place to happen yet. The push rods are mushroomed, possibly bent and therefore the valves aren't opening as far as they should. A valve job is probably in order also. This also accounts for the rocker arms being loose. Two hydraulic lifters are weak and therefore have to be replaced. It also has a tappet cam and lifters and has never had oil with the proper additive to keep the cam lobes from wearing down. In other words I'm looking at a total rebuild that'll cost $3,000 minimum.

Yea u can get the additive for 15 bucks so not to bad
so it needs lifters & push rods to get you by ???

Good afternoon everyone It's another hot day here in the Coarsegold foothills. Lets see what WW says: 97.9 °F<> Feels Like 98 °F< LoL how can you tell 1/10th of a degree diference?? LoL Humidity is 20% and going to 38%. [Rain would be great], the low is supposed be 73 °F [that horrible sleeping weather though!]

On the C & S West scene I did get the two point rails soldered in place on the second Left hand turnout and adjusted the gauge so a delrin truck with code 88 Kadee ribbed back wheels rolleded freely through it but I did have to install a guard rail on the inner side so the truck wouldn't tend to pit the point of the frog. Once that was done The truck rolled through freely every time. So now it just to solder on the [ bracket to the under side of the points and get the throw rod soldered to it and gap the PC boards the rails are soldered to and I should be ready to place it. This will allow me to continue the main line on around the mountain and even start getting the mine track laid in position. The only thing there is that I need to cut the incline ramp and angle it in away from the lower main line it's alongside of to get more clearance between them as I don't want a straight wall of any height along side of the mainline as it traverses round the mountain.

That's it for now.

Been a day of ups & downs
It started with a phone call from the Ex wife:p
But then I went to the LHS:D
Dropped my NCE Procab R,,,broke the radio antenna off right where it attached to the circuit board :mad:
Finished an A-B-A set of Proto FA's for a client in B&O, renumbered, decoders, and LED's :cool:
And reprogrammed a BLI NW2 that the owner claimed would not keep the long address after power down..... reprogrammed with decoder pro..been powered down several times since and its staying programmed! :rolleyes:

Gosh I love having my weekends back!! :cool:Midland tripletsa.jpg

I wish I had the money to get another vehicle. Down here that can run $3,000 or more just to get one that's road worthy. But I don't have that kind of money. However with help I can scrape together $550 to buy the 318 and my father will pay to have it installed. It's not something he wants to do but he knows that it's important and therefore he's committing himself to it. He's said that I can use old '92 F150 but we both know it's as big a disaster as my van is.

Vapor lock keeps it from starting when the engine is hot. There are additional problems. The top side is real loose. The engine is a disaster. It just hasn't picked it's time and place to happen yet. The push rods are mushroomed, possibly bent and therefore the valves aren't opening as far as they should. A valve job is probably in order also. This also accounts for the rocker arms being loose. Two hydraulic lifters are weak and therefore have to be replaced. It also has a tappet cam and lifters and has never had oil with the proper additive to keep the cam lobes from wearing down. In other words I'm looking at a total rebuild that'll cost $3,000 minimum.
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/cto/4565470296.html

Nope. It's a Chevy and I've always had bad luck with Chevy's. My choices are Ford and Dodge. Besides, my father is committing to a scrap yard installation of an engine, not the purchase of a vehicle. If I want to get another vehicle I have to come up with ALL the money myself.

Good evening. Cool but very humid here. 73°/91%. I was out earlier making another Youtube video. This one demonstrates how difficult it can be to get the engine to crank on a cold start. Sometimes it won't crank at all. This time it did, barely. It's at the end of this post but ahead of the photos at the bottom. It'll be a click link called 'Van Start'. Now that you know that you know what to avoid if you don't want to see or hear it.

Nothing done on the computer or train front today. I watched a few movies though. 'A Man Called Sledge', 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home', 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country', 'The Train'.

Van Start

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012441-1.jpg

P1012409.jpg

P3302351.jpg

COFFEE_CREME1.png

Good Morning!

It's Mon 7/14/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Possible strong storms and a high of 83. Staying dry, again, today. :D

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 72° with 94% humidity. The high will be 95°. Cloudy with a fair chance of rain.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond40.jpg

Nothing special going on today. I'll be calling the scrap yard with some questions about the 318 they have. Other than that I'm waiting on the Home Health nurse to call. Other than that no plans.

P3282310.jpg

P3242230.jpg

P3162141.jpg

Called the scrap yard and spoke with the head man whom I had a lot of questions for. One thing I found out is that the bolt pattern for the bell housing is the same from the first 318 to the last one made. My questions included what are the gaskets and seals like? All new. Also has new main bearing seals. Any bad or weak parts have been replaced with good ones. Not new but good. It has a new water pump, fuel pump and thermostat. Good carb is included. Total cost with purchase/installation is less than $1,200, less than a rebuild kit and significantly less than what a good used van or truck goes for in this area.

Well, got the wound vac dressing changed and it's behaving itself for now.

Van engine started up fine this morning and with only minimal priming. It didn't try stalling out either as it sometimes does for seemingly no reason. Maybe it's gotten wind that it's about to be cast adrift and replaced.

Thanks to a member of another forum the IIc has it's sound back. The speaker was just a hair to big for the opening it needed to fit. So I brought out the Dremel and made a few little changes in the speaker bay and it slipped right in. There was some danger of the back of the speaker touching the keyboard circuit board so I put a piece of electrical tape over that part of the speaker. Closed up the unit and tested it and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back