Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

IT BEGINS!

In a traditional mode we exchange one gift on the eve and I got a wee Woodland Scenics "Foliage and Grasses" Pack with a bit of everything in it! Not a huge amount but a nice variety of different things I can try my hand at. Gonna start making a mess in a few days!
I love those kits. I have three of them. Granted if you are talking about what I think you are. They have these kits for their ready grass mats. Which I'm not going to lie I had one on my second layout.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I love those kits. I have three of them. Granted if you are talking about what I think you are. They have these kits for their ready grass mats. Which I'm not going to lie I had one on my second layout.

LOL! Ya, it's got the little mat and some 'grass' powder, 'flowers' (looks like yellow dust), bushes, 'path' stuff, and 'wild grass'. Even has a little spray bottle, a little shaker cup with a sifter top and some glue. Looks like it is marketed to kids for school projects, but it will do me just fine! I'll use it all, gotta start 'learning by doing'. Kinda getting excited even though I KNOW it's going to look like KA-KA! Nowhere to go but up!

LOL! Ya, it's got the little mat and some 'grass' powder, 'flowers' (looks like yellow dust), bushes, 'path' stuff, and 'wild grass'. Even has a little spray bottle, a little shaker cup with a sifter top and some glue. Looks like it is marketed to kids for school projects, but it will do me just fine! I'll use it all, gotta start 'learning by doing'. Kinda getting excited even though I KNOW it's going to look like KA-KA! Nowhere to go but up!
Well at least you have a test bed to learn on. I guess that's a perk with these kits. I have their road kit. A hill detail kit and their tree kit. All of which are small. The road kit is just paint with a ruler for making marks for how wide the road should be which I really needed and the biggest reason I bought the kit. With a foam nail with the end cut off for making the center lines on the road. The hill detail kit is like the one you have minus the grass mat section. And well the tree kit is just that. Tree armatures with their clump foliage.

Merry Christmas from sunny Queensland, which has not been sunny at all today. (being 2:20pm) Overcast and gray. Had my little present yesterday, a visit to the local hospital so they could have a look where the sun don't shine either.:eek:

Getting up on some painting before bed. The picture does it a world of good. I have to say trying to paint over a dark brown with white sucks!
856b50f9abb46e31b9b202442c6c830c.jpg

Good afternoon/now Night, fellow rail setters and spike drivers this Christmas Eve.,
Hi Flo and Francine and Happy Christmas Eve. to both of you, glad your keeping Jeffreys' Dinner open and warm. I'll have some hot beef stew with some sour dough bread and coffee. Thanks.

Per WW: Rain
39.2 °F
Feels Like 36 °F
N
Wind from ESE

Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday.
Today
High 41 | Low 26 °F - Currently at 9:00 Pm it's 35.6°F
100% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 49.8 | Low 34 °F
Precip. 0 in
rain

Expect occasional rain to continue for the next several hours.
Pressure 29.96 in
Visibility 6.0 miles
Clouds Mostly Cloudy 4100 ft
Overcast 5000 ft
Windchill 36 °F
Dew Point 39 °F
Humidity 99%
Rainfall 0.09 in [.47 in is what I measured earlier I got in about 3 hours but it still raining off-and-on. Oh the 4.17 in reported two days ago was correct as my local buddy and HO Gauge MRR Joe who lives about 20 miles to the East but at 3,000 feet elev. said he got 4.5 in., if I remember correctly.
Snow Depth Not available.

Yesterday late morning and all afternoon I was up and down from my roof over the Living Room portion of my house doing some added roof repair and checking what I had done as I did have a leak over the header of the front window which is under the porch overhang that was leaking inside, what a PIA to get that to where I could catch all the dripping water and keep things dry inside but I managed to do that. Anyway it's raining again today and things seem to be staying dry, thank God. I still have a couple of more leaks as the front porch ceiling is dripping in a couple of other locations which I don't like to see but at least it's outside so a bit more to get taken care of. The garage/train room had a couple of minor leaks too but maybe I got them fixed too yesterday?

Say David: It must be a rough life to be getting so many raises, if your wondering what to do with some of your excess cash I'll gladly send you my address or if you give me the name of your employer I can get in touch and give them a heads up not to treat you so good! LoL What kind of work do you do, anyway? Oh, I'm also 'DC', the sound, the sound can be enjoyable but can get tiring too.
Your new Loco's and Cabooses look good and the price sure seems good.
Oh, Wow, Tornados and Snow

Terry: I always figured it was a mandatory thing that a business give it's employees a cost of living raise?
Sorry to hear about your BLI T1, I thought they had better reliability than that?

Garry: You put an Edsel on your layout? No wonder the guy in the De Soto is giving him a helpful Push....in front of the trolley! LoL Only you and Chet, it takes real Cahonnies to show that off and a Pink one too!?! Or was that Chelly's car?
Your City scene with the Trolleys, buses and cars and buildings and detail look very good. Did you ever see George Sellios Manchester & New Hampshire Layout? I was very close to Peabody, Massachusetts when I went back there to prosecute the ins.co for Bad Faith, but my mind was on the trial and not MRRing. Darn it as the Atty I hired was in Linn, Mass and Peabody [pronounced Peabdy] was only about two miles away.
Your White Tractor and Cattle trailer look great as do all your scenes!

Willie: I new a fellow who worked for an aluminum window manufacturer in Fresno, Calif and then he all of a sudden disapeared. I wonder if the same thing happened to him?

Chet: I'll have to blow the picture up to see it, thanks for letting the cat-out-of-the-bag! I never made the connection of that on your layout. Time to start looking a little closer I guess? Your layout and scenes look real great too with a lot of detail.

Thanks for your Christmas Greeting!

Say Para Troop: I hope your not going to be sorry about removing the lower detail in the future as husky looking diesels look toothless now. I'll bet there would have been a way to modify them without removing everything like you did as there is no way now to make any hook-up of break lines or MU cables! Not to mention the little guys have a hell of a job climbing up on the Loco!

Thanks for your Christmas Greeting!

Say Toot: Your reply to Garry about the Pink Bomb! LoL LMAO ROTF

Say Curt: Sure hope you get over your Cold or Flu

Sherrel: Glad your getting a bit of rain, I ought to send some of mine down your way.
Have a very good Christmas yourself.

Say Nate: Here in Central Calif in the foothills at about 1,875 ft. it's quite cold and probably similar to your weather too. When it's cold the heat of a fire place is great and when it's hot an air cooler sounds great.
How's your rail roadinng coming along?

TCWright: Glad to hear you received your BLI SW1500 in the US Steel Clairton Plant paint scheme. What are you doing in the way of a layout, any pictures would be great. I don't post all that I should either.

Say Ray, Thanks and a Joyous Christmas to you too. The full Moon is nice!

Toot: Good to get your Christmas Greeting from Sunny Queensland

I hope everyone has had a very Joyous Christmas Eve and will have even better Christmas tomorrow!!

For volume control on the more popular brands of sound decoders, here is a quick list:
Soundtraxx: CV128
QSI: CV40=0, then CV51
Loksound: CV63

To add to that, BLI Paragon2 (assume 3 is the same), a single press and release of F8 silences the sound (as it does with others) but double clicking (like a mouse) will lower the volume through 8 stages in total, down to silent, continuing to double click brings it back up, also in stages.

Good Morning All. Let me be the first one on this side of the pond to wish each and all a very Merry Christmas. A full moon Christmas at that...first one since 1977, 38 years ago. Next one will be in 2034, hope to be able to send holiday greetings to all of you for that one too. Hey, I'll only be 82 years young! It appears that my granddaughter has recovered, it wasn't pneumonia, just congestion; as she was able to make it to the Christmas Eve festivities at my wife's family gathering. Today is the BIG celebration at my brother's house. It is the first time in about 10 years that all of my family, my brothers and sisters and their spouses, their children and their spouses, and all of the third generation grandchildren have been able to clear schedules and be together at the same time. That will be 50 of us. Many have gotten married and had children since the last get-together...as a matter of fact, none of the third generation was born back then. I am looking forward to it.
Willie

Good morning ! It's 72* going up to 85* .My bones enjoy the warmth.

WILLIE- Are you near HURST ,TEXAS ?

RAY- Lovely scene. Thanks.

Hope the Seasons Reason brings happiness to all .

Phil

Gees Willie, that sounds like quite a crowd for sure!!
Brother must have a mighty big house.
I can't imagine being one of the cooks for that feast.
Think I'd just get it catered.
Have a great day.

Storms are continuing here again today so no moon visibility at all.
Nothing going on here at all.
E.

Phil - Hurst is about 65 miles south of me. As far as Texas is concerned, that's "backyard" distance.
Eric - Big house, big patio, we'll fit. It will be 72+ degrees here today so the patio will be the center of activity until dinner. He borrows tables and chairs from his church and we can all sit at one table that he sets up in an "L" shape in his living/dining room area. Everybody cooks, his wife sends out assignments. Several family members are assigned various brands of beer to suit all tastes. I see six cases assigned, ranging from Miller Lite to Shiner Bock (locally brewed in TX) to Heineken (my choice). Six bottles of wine have also been assigned. As the "patriarch" of the family, I get to carve two 20+ pound turkeys. That's usually a two-bottle job. LOL We all have a good time and if I (or my wife) cannot drive the 65 miles home I have two other brothers with empty nest four bedroom homes within two blocks that I can stay at.
Again Merry Christmas to all.
Willie

LOL! I 'innocently' asked my FIL if he knew how to carve a turkey, the fool said YES so I handed HIM the knife and carving fork! I'm a lefty and make a MESS of it! We had a turkey AND a ham this year! 20+ people were milling around here and it was a BLAST! WE played 'cards against humanity' and bout blew the roof off laughing!

It's ok 'Truss' I know it looks buck toothed now but it goes EVERYWHERE! Up, down and around curves that bring others to their trucks! This beasty is the BOMB! I want three more just like it and I'll chop the chins off them too!! The sound is crazy, like a dang JET!

Got the usual 'Dad' gifts and love em, also got a bag of rocks and some trees to go with the grass and foliage pack! No choice now but to start right in with some scenery!

Well NG: I see what you mean by cutting off the steps (whiskers are you said) on the DDA40X would make it work.
I'm not going to do that to mine so I looked at other options.
Body mount couplers wouldn't work. The nose pushes out too far over the track and would simple derail everything it pulls.
So I'm not seeing any option.
Re-doing my layout with new curves is NOT an option.
E.

Back