Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

Hello everybody !

LASM ..... I like those locomotives and cabooses. ..... I'm sort of like Chet. I am not buying more locomotives. I do occasional buy more freight cars. I cant use all I have. Many sit on the shelves and are not operating. .... You said the GN Baldwin is most expensive. Does it have sound?

It doesn't have sound, but it listed for $179 and I got it from half price trains for 81.98. It must have been their last one because looking today it wasn't on their web site.

I have DC and am kind of sensitive to noise so not quite sure if there would have been a way to turn it off it it was too annoying.

The H10-44 was on sale at Walthers at 99.98, but was not discounted as much as the Baldwin.

I know what you mean about the sound. Like I mentioned, I have been operating without sound for decades and it's just fine with me. I would like to turn the sound off. I have a Bachmann 2-6-0 with sound and one of their Alco switchers along with the BLI Mike. I think the next time I head down to Missouri to visit my model railroad friends, I may bring them with me and have my DCC guru friend turn the sound off. I was at an operating session at their model railroad club and they had about 20 or so locomotives with sound operating all at the same time and it really got annoying.

You really did get a great price on those locos. Not bad at all.

Roger that about the sound. I usually shut the sound off right away. It's good for showin' off but does get annoying.
I do like it for just sitting there on idle. The low diesel rumble is cool.
Sort of like when I had my Mustang GT 5.0 with the HO motor. Sometimes I'd just crank it up and let it sit and idle just to listen to it. Golly mercy that car was wicked-fast! It wasn't worth having a radio in it. You couldn't hear it at all. It sure was an attention getter no doubt.
I miss that car.
..... sigh....

NG: You got your DD40 to get through 18" curves without coming off?
Is yours a Bachman? Mine barely enters the curve and pushes the trucks right off.
Speed doesn't seem to matter either.
E

Tornados? Really? In late December?
They are saying there is a possibility of scattered tornadic weather this evening and through the night and into tomorrow.
It's been steady light rain since yesterday afternoon. Flood watches/warnings are already out. Possibly 3-5 inches - they say.

It just occurred to me that yesterday was winter solstice which means the days will be longer from here on out.
E

Good Afternoon.
new guy - A file would probably work better on those Atlas frogs. All of mine, which are "Custom Line" are metal frogs. Many of the Atlas turnouts I have gotten are just fine and need no fine-tuning. I have gotten some with the high frogs though. I think it varies with each batch. Still can't beat the price when compared to other equivalent quality brands. As I said, I use "Custom Line", I have not used any of their "Snap Switch" line, which may be different.
Regarding curves, the string method works if your benchwork is wide enough to provide a pivot point. I had a piece of a roll of .060 "pattern cardboard" that I got from one of the die makers at the place I worked at. I spread it out on a piece of 4' x 8' plywood and used the string method to make a series of half-circle pencil lines spaced 2" apart. After cutting along the marks, I had a series of cardboard half-circles at 24", 26", 28" and all the way to 46". I didn't bother with less than 24" since I didn't intend to have any radii that small. Now I lay them out and trace each side with a pencil and then lay my roadbed between the lines. Good for experimenting with various radii to make things fit. Transitions can also be made by using combinations, or just letting the Flex make its own.
Flex track curves...When you use the Flex track on curves, put the "sliding" rail on the inside radius. That way you just have to trim rail and end ties only. While I think that rail can be cut with any good pair of "flush-cut" pliers, I have found that the Xuron brand made for cutting nickel-silver rail is the best bet. I've used mine for over 25 years without any dulling or other problems. For the corners, I've been known to lay prone on the benchwork on my old layout. Now no trackwork is further than 26" even on wider benchwork, I use a step-stool for scenery work in some corners.
Eric - While rare, we get tornados in December-January here in North Texas.
Chet - You would probably be the only one to know that the Edsel was too new...or you could model late 57 after the new models came out.

I went for 7 years before retiring without a raise. I worked for an aluminum window manufacturer...first was the recession and housing crash, then when it was over the trend had begun for vinyl windows and we weren't quick enough to react. Company lost money from 2008 through 2014. I'm lucky that we stayed open, as I saw numerous competitors go out of business.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet - You would probably be the only one to know that the Edsel was too new...or you could model late 57 after the new models came out.

Willie

It is possible I guess to get away with the Edsel. New cars started coming out with the next years model in the late summer or early fall. I do have a '58 Chevy in the showroom here and nobody has caught it yet.

IMAG0109_BURST002.jpg

NG: You got your DD40 to get through 18" curves without coming off?
Is yours a Bachman? Mine barely enters the curve and pushes the trucks right off.
Speed doesn't seem to matter either.
E

It's a Bachman, I 'modified' it! Cut the "chin's" right off the thang! (the HORROR!) LOL! It was hindering tuck play and now that sucker takes 15's like a CHAMP! It's my 'Beast" and has no trouble pulling as many cars as I can get to stay together! (53 so far.) Up the 2.80% 12 foot long grade I've got. It's also the fastest of my 12 loco's! It whips the pants off everything!
WIN_20151019_102336.JPG
WIN_20151019_102354.JPG
imagesunsound.jpg

60° and a tornado watch out on December 23rd! We've had about a half inch of snow so far this year............and I'm NOT complaining! If the weather would stay like this in the winter my wife and I wouldn't move when I retire. NOT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Snow and tornados, what a mix? It is snowing here now, about 1" new stuff on the ground, our temp only about 32 though.

Good Afternoon.
new guy - A file would probably work better on those Atlas frogs. All of mine, which are "Custom Line" are metal frogs. Many of the Atlas turnouts I have gotten are just fine and need no fine-tuning. I have gotten some with the high frogs though. I think it varies with each batch. Still can't beat the price when compared to other equivalent quality brands. As I said, I use "Custom Line", I have not used any of their "Snap Switch" line, which may be different.
Regarding curves, the string method works if your benchwork is wide enough to provide a pivot point. I had a piece of a roll of .060 "pattern cardboard" that I got from one of the die makers at the place I worked at. I spread it out on a piece of 4' x 8' plywood and used the string method to make a series of half-circle pencil lines spaced 2" apart. After cutting along the marks, I had a series of cardboard half-circles at 24", 26", 28" and all the way to 46". I didn't bother with less than 24" since I didn't intend to have any radii that small. Now I lay them out and trace each side with a pencil and then lay my roadbed between the lines. Good for experimenting with various radii to make things fit. Transitions can also be made by using combinations, or just letting the Flex make its own.
Flex track curves...When you use the Flex track on curves, put the "sliding" rail on the inside radius. That way you just have to trim rail and end ties only. While I think that rail can be cut with any good pair of "flush-cut" pliers, I have found that the Xuron brand made for cutting nickel-silver rail is the best bet. I've used mine for over 25 years without any dulling or other problems. For the corners, I've been known to lay prone on the benchwork on my old layout. Now no trackwork is further than 26" even on wider benchwork, I use a step-stool for scenery work in some corners.
Eric - While rare, we get tornados in December-January here in North Texas.

I went for 7 years before retiring without a raise. I worked for an aluminum window manufacturer...first was the recession and housing crash, then when it was over the trend had begun for vinyl windows and we weren't quick enough to react. Company lost money from 2008 through 2014. I'm lucky that we stayed open, as I saw numerous competitors go out of business.

Willie

The file has been my weapon of choice in the turnout battles. Already learned the hard way which side of the flex to flex! LOL!

I'll be going right down to 15"s on some parts of the layout, I have a wide enough variety of motive stock to make it all good!

Really trying for a bit of everything this go round. Bout 30 more pieces of flex to add at the moment, c'mon Santa!

Good evening.

Speaking of weather, we had very heavy thunderstorms while we came home late in the afternoon. It was almost impossible to see our road as we were driving.

Regarding the sound volume of sound decoders, you should be able to program the decoder to a lower volume.

Regarding a 1/87 Edsel .......... You can see it parked downtown....

downtown%20edsel_zps11a1h2d2.jpg

Good evening.

Speaking of weather, we had very heavy thunderstorms while we came home late in the afternoon. It was almost impossible to see our road as we were driving.

Regarding the sound volume of sound decoders, you should be able to program the decoder to a lower volume.

Regarding a 1/87 Edsel .......... You can see it parked downtown....

downtown%20edsel_zps11a1h2d2.jpg

The guy in the Desoto must've had an Edsel and lost on it (the reason for now driving a '54)'cause he's trying to push it in front of the hydrant (or maybe the street car even).

Good Christmas Eve Morning to All. It's clear and 46 degrees here in North Central Texas this morning, going up to the mid-70's today. We'll repeat that tomorrow, rain Saturday and winter will finally hit Sunday. Forecast through January 2 is for highs in the upper 40's and lows in the upper 20's. That's OK, I will take it rather than Chet's snow in Montana. But then again, we'll have numerous triple-digit days in July and August...I bet he doesn't see that at his place. I won't be spending much time in the train shed for the next two days because I would rather spend that time with the families. I do have about two hours right now until my wife gets up and I will come in and help (get in the way) her with last minute preps.
Got thrown a real bummer earlier this week when my one year old granddaughter had to go to the emergency room Tuesday night. She has pneumonia but was released Wednesday morning. Needless to say, she won't be at any of the festivities but we will stop at her house to visit while we are in Dallas.
Garry - Nice picture of a great scene. The large building with the awnings, did you paint all of those window frames individually? I find it a pain just to do a few on DPM or Smalltown kits. I do a few, put up the paint and come back later and do a few more. LOL
Eric - Don't worry, winters coming your way by Monday or Tuesday. Looks like you were spared the tornados this week.

I'll catch back up tomorrow morning. Merry Christmas.

Willie

Good morning, and happy Christmas Eve. It's raining heavily, and 65. Flash flood watches and warnings throughout the area until at least 7pm.
Looking on the bright side, at least I won't have to worry about any snownadoes...

coffee_pot_steaming_hg_wht.gif

For volume control on the more popular brands of sound decoders, here is a quick list:
Soundtraxx: CV128
QSI: CV40=0, then CV51
Loksound: CV63

Back