Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

David (Trussrod), E.L. Cord, the man behind the Cord automobile had actually purchased Auburn in 1924 and Duesenberg in 1927. With the Duesenberg purchase he also got and engine maker, Lycoming. I found this interesting article firstly about Lycoming engines, but with the adventures of Mr Cord's business empire

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/11/Sewing-Machines-to-Straight-Eights/2262391.html

The "coffin nose" description is a nick-name awarded by the public (or press), a bit like the "bullet nose" of the '47 Studebaker and the "single and double spinners" of the Ford Fortyniner and it's '51 update.

Don't think we've heard from Sherrel since my words of comfort and encouragement. Maybe he's having trouble landing it (mayday......mayday)

Good morning Everybody!

It's 62 with 87% humidity under clear skies in south east Baltimore.

I'll try to catch up on all I have missed, but today is going to be hectic, in a good way.

Happy Labor Day Everybody!

I mentioned a little while ago, problems I was having locating and identifying parts from the Atlas website that I wanted/needed for the two Genset low hood locos I have. Today my order arrived. Most of my work following obscure pathways (messages to and fro of minimal help) to find the info I needed to confirm what I was ordering was indeed what I needed/wanted, had almost paid off. Fortunately not as big a "biggie" as the parts under-ordered were the support rods (the name they were called on the parts order list but as cut lever brackets on the G2 diagram, 8 needed per loco, only identified by the part #'s agreeing) and the coupler cut levers bars were not in stock (on pre/back order, but what appeared to be a button on the order page to do a pre-order, wouldn't work). On the diagram these parts, both brackets and cut levers, were ghosted in and it was unclear whether the brackets were a set or individual bits as they only had 1 arrow pointing to them. I also ordered some extra cab sunvisors (same # both sides), so I figured they would come as a pair (which they did). But these brackets didn't. 1 part# means 1 bracket, so I'm short 12 to do the job as I only ordered 4. They are brass as it turns out, tiny little things like flat lifting eyes (85c each). As I said, not a big biggie, so long as I can get as many as I need at the same time as I get the cut bars, whenever.

I am grateful that they did find and supply the screws for the coupler boxes that got lost that I supplied the part# for from the diagram, that wasn't listed on the order list. I also just checked my order status on the website and it's still showing "order not shipped". Guess I'll let them know I've got it.

They are Sadie and Suki. There are around 4.5 years old. Lot of puppy left in them though, but they are terriers. They are pretty good dogs though.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Thanks Matt, I have 2 Beagles Sophie and Tucker I love my puppies. Mine are 4 and 5 1/2 This is the first time I have had 2 dogs. I would not have it any other way now. They are good company for each other when I am not at home.

Louis - This is the continental kit. Some people really like them and some don't. I am one of the latter. I hate them.

View attachment 58503

I can see why you don't like them, it's just ugly.

Louis: Like your friends.

I never met a dog I did not like or could not get along with.

The Birds took 2 out of three from "the evil empire" as they are known to many Baltimorons, not to be confused with Baltimoreans.

We have ourselves a pennant race!

Louis: I've had a problem with my leg muscles too as my legs/knee joints feel very stiff and not very flexible to where it makes walking rather uncomfortable. I thought it was lack of Calcium and or potassium which may be part of the problem but I also found out that if I take extra viatimin B12, I took [3] 800 mcg tablets yesterday at different times and also took a fairly potent multi-vitamin for seniors in the morning with and low and behold I could move around a lot more freely without the discomfort I usually had to deal with. I was beginning to think I was an Old Man when I'm just a growing boy yet!! LoL

In a later post, thanks for asking if anyone had talked to me..
Great to see your posts David, see how many people missed you?

My legs are fair, I have mostly recovered from the many injuries from sports. Just left with arthritis. My legs are weak due to not being able to walk as much as I would like. My back is the culprit 12 bad disks and 3 missing, but I am better than I have been in years. Doctors tell me as soon as I feel excessive pain and fatigue I have to sit down. I'm glad I can get up at all! :)

My wife is a big advocate of B12 everything from an upset stomach to a cold. It seems to help and can't hurt. Because of kidney problems I am not supposed to take supplements. I don't understand all the problems I have, I just do what the doctors tell me, for the most part. ;)

Any day I get up is a good day!

I wish you well with your todo list, one thing at a time and before you know the list has grown :) Just do your best and let God take care of the rest. That motto has served me well.

Evening Gents,
Dad was wanting to turn around and come right back tomorrow.
For Pete's sakes he just went back home Thursday afternoon after my scans.
Thank goodness I happened to get up for a drink and checked email to see his plans.
He was fixing to take off around noon tomorrow (Monday 9/5) and be here around 9pm.
To be honest I'm not ready to have company staying around again just yet.
I've lived alone far too long to have constant company cramp my style - so to speak.

So I called up tonight saying to at least wait until we hear something back from the test results and/or the Dr.(s) involved. No reason to sit around here in this bachelor pad.
Ask Ken about that. When he came here I apologized for my abode being such a "bachelor pad". Ken said to not worry and that he was most comfortable in my environment and nothing to apologize about.

To be honest, I simply was wanting to be alone for a while before I had someone around 24 hours a day again. Of course I didn't put it to him that way so as to be sure no feelings were hurt.
The short story is we agreed that I would call as soon I knew anything new and if I needed him to be here the next day - no problem.

Guess, I'll go lay in bed in front of the TV.
E.

Thanks E for the update, keep us posted too. We like you just the way you are, only we want you to feel better.

Thank you for the kind words Louis!
The B&O used the mast signals to direct trains on the main line, and dwarves to control them on sidings and yard tracks.
cpl20a.jpg

In situations where a siding merged onto the main, the engineer would see the lights on both signals and automatically know which one (upper or lower) applied to him, depending on whether he was on the main or the siding.
QUOTE]

Kind words, maybe, but like Joe Friday would say "just the facts Ma'am"

Thanks for all the pictures and information about our favorite railroad, the original common carrier railroad, the great B&O!

Hiya gang!
Its Midnight, the time and the fuzzball in the corner. He got a bath this morning, and I didn't lose any blood! Amazing! :cool: Got a bunch of yard work done today, watched Napcar and listed some more stuff on fleaBay. (Louis is gonna kill me!)
SWMBO wants to take the truck to Home Desperate tomorrow and get mulch. Yech! Me, I'm gonna play with my new pressure washer in the morning, and trains in the afternoon.
But 1st,, gotta see the Sandman!
L8ter!

Kill you for selling great stuff cheap? You need to come back down to sea-level all that clean high altitude air is getting to your mind!

A link would have been nice for my lazy butt. :)

```

Garry, Happy Anniversary and I hope you had a great Birthday!!!

Corey, we are with you and always here for you.

Lame, where are you?

Mel those are great looking lamps!

If I missed anybody forgive me, you all know I am not "right" in the head, I'm a little left of center. ;)

Now I am off to Walmart!

Happy Labor Day, see ya!

Good Morning Everyone. It's a warm 75° and clear here this morning. Just didn't cool off much last night. Interesting afternoon yesterday as I found a very large puddle of water next to my above-ground pool. The vinyl liner had a hole as large as a dime and was leaking badly. Fortunately it was easy to spot and I was able to repair it quickly, but not before losing about 250 gallons of water.
Out in the train shed, I tested track and test-fitted some structures. Here's a picture taken Thursday of the new area (dance floor as Garry described it) with track.
09-04-16 003.001.JPG
The next one was taken yesterday after I added more length to the left side. During testing, I backed a 17-well container train under its own power onto the track without incident. The track in the loop on the right side is just some temporary track to see how things might fit.
09-04-16 007.001.JPG
While the passing siding actually ends over on the left, I am planning on extending it a bit as a switching lead for additional industries in the industrial park that will be inside the loop, accessible from both sides.
Trackwork is OK if I can back a container train up without incident. I am going to add an extended height fascia board to this once I get done done testing.

Chet - Did that Buick come with the digital dashboard or was it added later? I agree about the continental kit, looks really ugly. Tough on the knees when you have to use the trunk!
Corey - Let me add my words of encouragement to what others have said, keep it going.
Joe - For me, the peppers and tomatoes are a resurgence, as they quit flowering when the nighttime temperatures stay in the upper 70's. By keeping them watered and alive, they will come back to bearing in the fall. I think that some of my tomatoes died as the result of herbicide drift when the field south of me got sprayed. I just can't prove it to get compensation from the farmer/leasor that I don't know to begin with...it's someone new after 35 years of the previous owner/farmer.
MR113 - Wish that I could see your website, but I don't do Facebook.

All right now, everyone have a great Labor Day.

Willie

Good morning. It's clear and 62.

Mel, I have a friend that collects Coleman lanterns. He has quite an extensive collection, there are many varieties that have been produced over the years.

David- That picture of MOH and the engine was taken about 25 years ago, she is still an attractive lady and I am a lucky guy to have such a great partner.

My other hobby is collecting kerosene lamps, here is some of the others.

View attachment 58507

Mel

The B&O used the mast signals to direct trains on the main line, and dwarves to control them on sidings and yard tracks.
cpl20a.jpg

In situations where a siding merged onto the main, the engineer would see the lights on both signals and automatically know which one (upper or lower) applied to him, depending on whether he was on the main or the siding.

Ken: In the photo, note the empty signal mast on the pole, the one attached by a bracket, adjacent to the color position light signal, on the pole. That empty pole is called a "Dummy Mast", the indication is that the signal applies to the track on the left, and not the track on the right. In the photo, the dwarf signal governs movement on the track to the right. Being somewhat weak on B&O signals, I'm reluctant to go into further detail, as while all signals and rules are somewhat similar, they are usually road specific. "Dummy Masts" were used by the Reading, CNJ and NYC, however not the PRR. On the PC, they were included in the rule book among the signal rules.

Did you know that Pennsylvania diesels sometime showed up on L&N passenger trains? Thanks again for your help. William.[/QUOTE said:
William: The PRR operated several joint trains with the L&N (and ACL and FEC) between Chicago and Florida. These included the "South Wind" and the "Southland". There were through car arrangements for which L&N lightweight sleepers (PS Plan 4140 - I think) were painted PRR Passenger color, but lettered for the L&N. These cars ran between Nashville, TN, and New York, via Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. The PRR also partnered with the L&N on the Crescent Route, along with the Southern, the A&WP, Western RR of Alabama. It was not all that unusual for PRR equipment to show up on the L&N considering these arrangements.

Good morning, Happy Labor Day! 63 and overcast this morning, and all warnings concerning Tropical Storm have been taken down. Sure looks like rain though. :rolleyes:

We have ourselves a pennant race!

Louis:
We sure do, possibly two of them (NL East?). :rolleyes:

Willie:
I don't know how you could possibly establish a case, unless you sent samples of dead or dying foliage to the County Agricultural agent for testing. They do that here in Central jersey, where there is still some extensive agribusiness. I had to cut back on the tomato plants, as they were crowding the egg plants and peppers plants. Depending on how long the warmer temperatures last, I may get a couple more weeks and at least a dozen tomatoes off the three plants we planted this year.

My son finished the Walthers truss bridge last night. I have sufficient Micro Engineering Code 70 bridge track to finish the project. I'm also ready to glue foam to benchwork, and roadbed to foam. Can track be far behind?

RDG_RDCs Birdsboro_either Sat Tr 105 or Sun Tr 205_1966-1969_Dave Augsburger photo_ed 4x6.jpg

Reading Company weekend train #105 at Birdsboro, PA in the late 60s.

Howdy. I'll catch up on your posts later. I hope everyone is having a goo Labor Day .. Today is our anniversary. It is also our daughter's anniversary and we will have a joint celebration later today.

Good morning, the weather is really starting to cool down as the inside of the back porch is 60*, much more enjoyable than what it has been. I do think Fall has arrived, thank goodness!

Hi Flo & Francine, things are fairly busy this morning here at Jeffreys' Dinner. I'd like some coffee with Hazelnut Cream and a sweet role.

David- That picture of MOH and the engine was taken about 25 years ago, she is still an attractive lady and I am a lucky guy to have such a great partner.

My other hobby is collecting kerosene lamps, here is some of the others.

View attachment 58507

Mel

Mel: I knew the picture was taken some years back but none the less it seems like just a few years ago I'm sure. How time flys. It's great to hear you have a great relationship too!

Thank for posting your impressive assortment of laterns, they look great! The one in the foreground looks to be the top of a switch signal mast?

Thanks Chet, they are a signature feature of the B&O. I want to get all of them installed before I start putting down any scenery. Nice looking Buick, but I see what you mean about the platform - I agree with you 100% on that!:rolleyes:

Thank you for the kind words Louis!

Curt, that particular signal is on the same 12v buss that powers my Tortoises, totally separate from the track power. I control the aspects manually via toggle switches.

Thank you David, long time no see! About alcoholism: That is a physiological disease, usually genetic, where the body doesn't properly metabolize alcoholic beverages. Contrary to the popular myth, it is not caused by people consciously wanting to escape their personal problems [though psychological problems frequently do occur once the disease has progressed]. Many people lead perfectly normal, productive lives and don't realize they have it - until they get nailed for DWI!

As for staying sober, I do that one day at a time: Every morning as soon as I get out of bed, I ask God to let me stay clear of any alcoholic beverages for the rest of today. Hasn't failed me since I started 33 years ago...
cpl20a.jpg

Been another busy day for me! After I got back from Mass and had lunch, I spent the afternoon in the trainroom installing a few additional spur tracks on my Ford plant peninsula. This was followed by a cookout at my daughter's place, didn't get back until ~10:30pm. Hope to finish the tracklaying by the end of tomorrow.

Y'all have a happy [and safe] Labor Day!

Ken: I somewhat figured that the tall signal was for the main line and the low one was for the siding in your picture but wasn't really sure till I read Joes' post that clarified it, but it seemed to stand to reason.

David (Trussrod), E.L. Cord, the man behind the Cord automobile had actually purchased Auburn in 1924 and Duesenberg in 1927. With the Duesenberg purchase he also got and engine maker, Lycoming. I found this interesting article firstly about Lycoming engines, but with the adventures of Mr Cord's business empire

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2009/11/Sewing-Machines-to-Straight-Eights/2262391.html

The "coffin nose" description is a nick-name awarded by the public (or press), a bit like the "bullet nose" of the '47 Studebaker and the "single and double spinners" of the Ford Fortyniner and it's '51 update.

Don't think we've heard from Sherrel since my words of comfort and encouragement. Maybe he's having trouble landing it (mayday......mayday)

Toot: Ah, now it even makes more sense that I included the name Duesenberg in along with the name Cord.

Ken: In the photo, note the empty signal mast on the pole, the one attached by a bracket, adjacent to the color position light signal, on the pole. That empty pole is called a "Dummy Mast", the indication is that the signal applies to the track on the left, and not the track on the right. In the photo, the dwarf signal governs movement on the track to the right. Being somewhat weak on B&O signals, I'm reluctant to go into further detail, as while all signals and rules are somewhat similar, they are usually road specific. "Dummy Masts" were used by the Reading, CNJ and NYC, however not the PRR. On the PC, they were included in the rule book among the signal rules.

Joe/Boris: Thanks for clarifying about the high and low signals as well as the lone mast sticking up which I was wondering what that was for.

Howdy. I'll catch up on your posts later. I hope everyone is having a goo Labor Day .. Today is our anniversary. It is also our daughter's anniversary and we will have a joint celebration later today.

Garry: Happy anniversary to you and Shelly, have a very enjoyable day as well as your daughter and her husband.

Take care all.

Just checking in quickly. Still raining and 49 degrees. The clouds lifted briefly and the mountain tops got some snow.

Karl - Congrats on the anniversary. We'll be celebrating 45 in December.

Willie - Thanks for the photos. Looks like you're making a lot of headway. Keep the photos coming.

Mel - Quite a collection you have there. I made a lamp out of one very similar to the big black one in the foreground.

Trussrod - Glad to see you back. You were missing for a few days and we were getting worried.

Here are a couple of old photos that I came across taken during an operating session at the late Pete Ellis' layout in Cascade, MT. His layout was disassembled and moved to the railroad museum in Great Falls. These were scanned from prints, so these is some loss in quality. I am guessing that they were taken around 20 some years ago. Pete also had the opportunity to have visited John Allens G&D and he also had scenery on parts of his layout going completely to the floor. Hoping to find some more photos of his layout. His rock work was excellent. This area was probably one of the earliest parts of his layout. The building is a hotel resort on the layout.

9.jpg 80002.jpg

Catch you later.

Morning/Afternoon All: I'm lurking - just trying to keep up with all the posts. My dog, Foxie, brought me a stick yesterday - scared the bejesus outta me. I was afraid she had found one of those "creatures".

Glad you don't like the "KIT" CHET .. I always thought they were ugly!

OK .. I will be back with more later - still have 5 grills to mask off and spray on the restaurant entrance - did get the door repainted.
door.jpg

Just returned from Wally World with some fruits, veggies, and dog food. I see that the Big Onion Truck has arrived - largest onion I have ever seen - all are this large - had to buy one!
onion.jpg

Hi Ho, Hi Ho -- off to work I go!

Afternoon All,

No picnic today since it started a heavy rain at noon. I needed some MRR time so I redid my 2 yard signs (yard limit and max speed). The previous ones were way to large. These are still too big but they are more than half the previous size. I also made a RR crossing using scale wood for the yard office. After it was in place I weathered it with a mix of ISO and India Ink.

Chet- Great photos. You're right, that is excellent rock work.

Mel- Great looking collection.

Ken- When you are done laying track please shoot us a picture.

Willie- Great looking trackwork. What is the radius of it?

Toot- Those are some awesome bridges.

Joe- Thanks for the passenger info. I knew some of it but my Pennsy passenger knowledge is lacking. Since I don't do passenger trains except once in a great while I focus my research in other directions. Nice train shot. I really like snow scenes. Do you have a photo of the finished bridge?

20160905_134138_zpszp1pgnm6.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe- Thanks for the passenger info. I knew some of it but my Pennsy passenger knowledge is lacking. Since I don't do passenger trains except once in a great while I focus my research in other directions. Nice train shot. I really like snow scenes. Do you have a photo of the finished bridge?

Curt:
No photos yet. Needs to be painted and aged first.Same with the "stone" abutment. Almost have to wait until the roadbed on the approach is finished first, to set the bridge in place. Also have 24" of space to fill with various sections of foam. I know what i want to do, but I'm not quite sure how to do it, if you get my drift.

Morning/Afternoon All: I'm lurking - just trying to keep up with all the posts. My dog, Foxie, brought me a stick yesterday - scared the bejesus outta me. I was afraid she had found one of those "creatures".

Glad you don't like the "KIT" CHET .. I always thought they were ugly!

OK .. I will be back with more later - still have 5 grills to mask off and spray on the restaurant entrance - did get the door repainted.
View attachment 58513

Just returned from Wally World with some fruits, veggies, and dog food. I see that the Big Onion Truck has arrived - largest onion I have ever seen - all are this large - had to buy one!
View attachment 58514

Hi Ho, Hi Ho -- off to work I go!

You need to get yourself a proper GA Vidalia onion. Some of those can get HUGE. They are the best onions IMHO.
E.

Back