Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Hah! My son and DIL who are returning to Aus once their house sells in the UK (gets listed Monday), asked me if there was any model train stuff they could bring back in their container 'cause it should be cheaper from there. The only thing I could think of would be some Peco track, being a UK brand. So I did some searching on the net. Couldn't get much info re prices from the official Peco site, so consulted ebay.co.uk. Only found 2 sellers with Peco streamline C100 and only 1 with C83 in bulk cartons. Had previously checked our ebay.com.au and got prices to compare.

On the UK site, of the 2, 1 was local, the other was Australian. The Aussie had a more expensive price when converted than the others on our own home site + shipping, and the UK seller wanted more than him, but the most ironic thing was ALL the UK sellers were indicating 'From the USA' as their source of supply.

I always believed that Peco track was all manufactured in the UK, but I guess truth be known, it's probably China.

Check Hattons for bulk prices

Good morning. We're off to a cool start for the day. Rain and 55 degrees. Rain is forecast for the next few days and highs are only expected to be in the high 50's or lower 60's for the next 5 or 6 days. Just fine with me. Guess I'll have to go down to the train room and run trains or work on some long put off projects.

We took off Friday afternoon to Deer Lodge where we stayed with relatives and attended a car show on Saturday. Had a lot of fun and saw some really fine looking cars. We did make it off with a trophy too.

Mel - I do like the Buicks from the mid 50's a lot. My favorite is the '56. I happen to be negotiating now for this '56 Buick.

6588c.jpg 6588hhhh.jpg

6588eee.jpg 6588ggg.jpg

This could make an excellent daily driver. Has a fuel injected LT1 engine with a modern overfrive transmission, 4 wheel disc brakes and all new modern running gear. The only thing I don't like about it is the continental kit. That's a quick fix. A few bolts and the rear bumper can be replaced and the dual exhaust will have to be shortened. Playing let's make a deal with this classic car dealer. I have a few cars that he is interested in. We'll have to see what happens.

Glad the you guys in Florida got a pass on the hurricane. Joe - Hope you get through the depression in good shape. No hurricanes up here thankfully.

Toot - I have seen the walking sticks when I lived in Florida. Strange insects.

Ken - Nice photo. Like the dwarf signals.

Willie - Sounds like you're busy putting up the veggies. Up here, our growing season is just about over. We used to keep a large garden, but now that the kids are out on their own, no more garden.

Corey - Really hoping that things work out for you and the wife.

I tried to keep up with the posts yesterday, but now I'll have to go back and see what I missed.

Catch you later.

Hi all. So far I'm just relaxing with my girls today. No real big plans for the weekend here. Beautiful weather today though.
9a387a50570ea72d06fb3597104dbb66.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Matt they are officialy beautiful ladies! What are their names and how old are they? That is a great day if you ask me.

Good morning all.

Not much on the agenda today, probably run some trains and fiddle around the house, I have to clean the glass on our gas fireplace, it sure got black after only one year of use. I have some throttle body cleaner in a spray can that might work, it cleans carbon on a fuel injection system, should work on this glass.

LOUIS- This is a nice 56 Buick, I always liked this car.

View attachment 58485

Mel
Another great car, thank you!

How did the throttle body cleaner work out? I use vinegar and water for glass and if it is really bad a razor blade will remove anything from glass, but it it's not glass or if it has a coating the razor blade will scratch.

Louis- I feel your pain. I have issues with the Wii for the grandkids.

My grandsons have the Wii and Wii U (I think), systems too, but I know nothing about it. I am familiar with the PlayStation, but the others seem like a Bert Blyleven curve ball to me.

Hi Louis that's a good question and I'm glad you asked! :D

Since the last time I posted [Friday morning], I've been at my day job until 5:00pm, then went and did an hour's worth of treadmill running at my daughter's house. Family dinner and chores until ~10:30pm. This morning I did the lawn mowing and a few other yard chores, after which I spent the rest of the day soldering ~40 connections for a signal that I'm installing at the end my steel mill "drill" track.

So....after a cumulative 8 hours on-and-off of working on this project, the net result is the little dwarf signal at the lower right of the photo:

SteelMillDwarfCloseUp_sm.gif

At least now the boundary between my steel mill track and the B&O main is clearly marked.
Ken as busy as you keep yourself we are blessed to hear from you at all. Don't forget I am retired, well semi-retired, but completely lazy. Sitting at my desk and taking up space is what I do best now and loving it! I watch way too many old TV shows, but hey I missed most of them first time around. I was either too young or working.

Great work Ken!

Was surfing around on modeltrainsstuff.com last night and came across at santa fe gp50 athearn genesis and I couldn't resist so I bought it up. Ive been looking for one to run in consist with my gp40.

Congratulations Mel! What paint scheme is it? I have one of those Genesis locomotives, really nice stuff. Seems like top of the line to me. Copy and paste the picture from the MB Klein website if you have time, I love to share in other people's purchases. It's the next best thing to buying myself and much cheaper. :)

Greetings fellow travelers!
I hope that you all are enjoying a peaceful Sunday, with plenty of train time!
Oh, my Milwaukee & Western Railway can be found on facebook nowadays as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/538507059675439/?fref=nf I hope that the link works....lol

The link works my friend, what is the price to join or is it an exclusive club? Most places would not want riffraff like me hanging around.

Mel - I do like the Buicks from the mid 50's a lot. My favorite is the '56. I happen to be negotiating now for this '56 Buick.

View attachment 58496 View attachment 58497

View attachment 58498 View attachment 58499

This could make an excellent daily driver. Has a fuel injected LT1 engine with a modern overfrive transmission, 4 wheel disc brakes and all new modern running gear. The only thing I don't like about it is the continental kit. That's a quick fix. A few bolts and the rear bumper can be replaced and the dual exhaust will have to be shortened. Playing let's make a deal with this classic car dealer. I have a few cars that he is interested in. We'll have to see what happens. .

Chet that is a great looking car! With a corvette engine? Too cool! What is a "continental kit?", a spare tire on the bumper maybe? How about that dash, is that custom or an after market kit? I like that, even I can see that clearly! What color is that paint called? I like it! Do I ask too many questions? :) Good luck with your deal, I'd take curtain number 3.

They are Sadie and Suki. There are around 4.5 years old. Lot of puppy left in them though, but they are terriers. They are pretty good dogs though.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Corey- You are doing exactly what I did in the beginning, keep it up, you are doing great! Remember,you are number one.

Chet- That is a nice Buick, looks like somebody spent a lot of time and money on it. I'll bet it goes like snot!

Plan to spend some time in the train room today, take er as she comes.

Just came upstairs to take a break from running trains and bring a couple of projects up to the work bench. It has cooled off to 49 degrees and there's still some light rain falling. Started a fire to warm things up. Think I can safely take the air conditioner out of the bedroom window for the year.

Louis - This is the continental kit. Some people really like them and some don't. I am one of the latter. I hate them.

6588k.jpg

hirailer - I'm sure it would be a hoot to drive. I have a raft of photos the seller sent and this is one high quality build. I know what I went through when I was building my prize '59 Impala. The problem with the Impala is that it is black and it shows the least bit of dust. I had a world of colors to paint it, but the original color was black and a black car does look good, but it is a pain in the butt to try to keep clean. The champagne color is about the best for up here with the many gravel roads we have putting dust into the air.

Matt - Love the photos of the dogs. Our little Doxie is always at the front storm door looking out.

Here a quick photo of an inbound train. It is coming up from the hidden staging tracks, a connection to the Northern Pacific. It was backed into the yard where it was broken down and an outbound local freight was made up with some of the cars to deliver to some of the industries along the main line.

IMAG0869.jpg

Guess I may just veg out upstairs as the race at Darlington will be starting soon.

Later.

Afternoon All,

Never made it to the picnic today. It looked like it was going to rain most of the day but didn't. I can hear the thunder now though. We will try again tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

Ken- Nice job on the dwarf signal. Are the wires soldered to the track for the signal or power jumpers?

Karl- Happy Anniversary. Nice picture of the grandchild and also the train.

Willie- The joy of hooking up new track.

Corey- Glad to hear you are progressing in a positive direction.

Chet- Beautiful car. I wish you luck with it. The continental kit reminds me of a vehicle wheelchair carrier. Nice train scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. Another beautiful day here in Central jersey. The surf is pounding the beaches, and there is some beach erosion. But, no clouds, rain and inland the wind is barely doing anything. Yet the NWS persists in continuing the warning, especially for Tuesday. I don't get it. Even the TV weather people are discounting any real effect of this storm.

Chet: Nice Buick, Exceptionally ugly Continental Kit. They fit some cars well, others, not so well. As you stated, an easy fixx. Good luck making a deal.

Louis: Like your friends.

Chett, That sure is a beautiful Buick, looks like it's made of gold :rolleyes:. The Continental kit was not a good styling.

Good afternoon fellow 'Rail, Tie & Spike Drivers'!
Hi Flo & Francine, It seems that Jeffreys' Dinner has been fairly active in my absence. Here it is the 69th page of the this coffee shop already. Ah, 69 - The Ying & Yang of numbers! How about some Coffee with some of that Hazelnut flavored cream and a Apple Fritter. Coming right up, that's great, thanks Francine.

It's Clear today a considerably cooler at 74.1 °F - Feels Like 77 °F;
Winds are from South at 1.7 mph;

Today - No extended forecast available;
Pressure 29.85 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 77 °F
Dew Point 42 °F
Humidity 31%
Rainfall 0.00 in

I sure have been side-tracked, so to peak with a variety of things and have a bunch more to do yet. This past Monday I met an Older Marine friend Harrison in Coarsegold per our prior arrangement and gave him my old Troller Transformer, along with the Quest Basic Train Engineer hand throttle and sending unit to check out and try and find out what components were bad. Electronics are his forte so I gladly accepted his help and he'll let me know what the parts cost. I'm going to give him something extra too for his time & effort. He also has a model railroad layout that another Marine friend acquired in deal with another local guy that he gave Harrison if only Harrison could get motivated to start working on it and enjoying it! Maybe I can be instrumental in that respect?? I sure hope as he only live about 10 miles from me and he had a special shed already built to house a layout he was planning on building.

I've also had a fair amount of problem with my cell phone either due to the Trojan's I somehow picked up or it could be that my cell phone provider upgraded their signal and my phone was too slow?

Other things also entered the picture and kept me pulled away and will again I'm sure as the rains will be here soon and I already know of one spot I can see light through the old tar-paper that needs to be repaired and there are probably others too. Such is life.

I'll go back a few pages and see if I can't get caught up a bit?

Garry: Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Happy Birthday Garry!

Mel: That's sure a bunch of fairly tall trestle bents leaning against the old Oil lamps and even a train latern I think?
Thanks for inquiring about me. I'm doing ok and appreciate your concern.

Your trestle looks good the nut bold castings look very good too.
Neat shot of the 1957 Meteor!
Your post asking what does Model Railroading have tp offer me? It's probably one of the only hobbies that is or can be a complete A-Z learning experience depending on how far a individual wants to persue it?

Thanks also for your shot of the engine/generator at Cody BC. Nice to see your wife too, that was taken only a couple of years back, right?

Terry: Thanks for your concern too. While there have been fires around the area, fortunately nothing extremely close
but I stick fairly close to home due to that reason. Thank God for my friend Joe and his walk behind weed wacker to really chew up a lot of grass and weeds fairly quickly for me. I was helping with my four cycle weed eater to get what I could knocked down so he wouldn't so much to do. Anyway, I feel a lot more secure now.

Again Terry, thanks for the concern.

Willie: Thanks for inquiring about me in TWS post. You seem to have quite a large operation planned or going, that should be quite a fair run even for a Point-to-Point!

In a later post, you mentioned your concern about my saying I over did it racking gravel on my driveway. Well I did in deed over work that day but I'm no stranger to exerting myself and fortunately fairly healthy so it just took a wile to cool off in front of the fan in my back bedroom but I was am Ok. Thanks for your concern though.

Corey: There may well be some underlying reason/s such as a troubling event that's causing you the anxiety and the feeling you need to drink? The forum here is probably not the place to air your concerns or anxieties, it may serve you well to talk to a Psychologist you feel comfortable with, who will probably be able to shed more light on any underlying issues you might have tucked away deep in your mind and help you resolve them by allowing you to look at the issue/s from a different perspective. AA is supposed to be a support group which is a good thing but it's also a very uncertain place to air some very private issues not knowing the response your liable to get from various others. Notice prior, I said Psychologist as they have much more education than a Psychiatrist who generally work through drug therapy and that is no different than drinking as it's not helping you to deal with the underlying issue/s that are bothering you but just masking them.
If your wife is involved somehow then you both earnestly need to desire to resolve the issue/s, it can't be one sided if your both are involved to one extent or another.
I hope this helps you, but the bottom line is you have to care enough about yourself to desire the help to resolve the issue/s that are depressing you. I know you do or you wouldn't have even have brought up your drinking problem, so that's a good start, just keep building upon it as Ken also says, for your self so you like the guy in the mirror looking back at you and feel positive about yourself. You've made the initial steps, just keep climbing the stairs, they'll level off after a bit!

Ken: Sorry to hear you had so much problem getting Stephanie situated, glad to hear you talked with her a little latter on and she was feeling better. Don't hesitate to post as you may not think it very important in comparison, we all have our problems from time to time that can very easily heavy on our minds and getting them out in the open can help to bring some relief.

Also, congrats on your staying off the sauce for so long too!!
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for the low signals along with the high signals?
Nice looking track work also.

Joe: Was that you in the cab operating the Loco?

Neat shot of the Street Car on the over pass.
Beats the heck out of me as to what wirllygig symbol means other than wind which must be still cause it not spinning around. LoL the flags show wind??
The bridge also looks very similar to the Central Valley Howe single track truss bridge that is about 21" long.

Louis: I've had a problem with my leg muscles too as my legs/knee joints feel very stiff and not very flexible to where it makes walking rather uncomfortable. I thought it was lack of Calcium and or potassium which may be part of the problem but I also found out that if I take extra viatimin B12, I took [3] 800 mcg tablets yesterday at different times and also took a fairly potent multi-vitamin for seniors in the morning with and low and behold I could move around a lot more freely without the discomfort I usually had to deal with. I was beginning to think I was an Old Man when I'm just a growing boy yet!! LoL

In a later post, thanks for asking if anyone had talked to me.

Genteck/Toot: I think it's a, 'Cord' or a 'Duzenberg', but they are only guesses, Chet might know for sure. I posted 'Cord' before looking at what Terry said, or later saw what Chet wrote, so I surprised myself.

Phil: Thanks for the exact name of the car, it sure did have a distinctive nose to it!

Sherrel: From your post about your cold on 9-02, hope your feeling better?

Toot: Good God Man, I've never seen anything like that before!
In a later post by Matt I've also seen what I always called walking sticks and have seen them now and then but probably they were only about 4-6" in length! Not 13"!!

Say, in your reply to Sherrel about the large walking stick, that will surely prevent him from having NIGHT MARES!?!?

Lame: Very sorry to hear you and your Mom lost your Father. That's a hard thing to go through.

Matt: Nice looking Terriers, are they Welsh Terriers? The folks and I had a Wire Haired Terrier and your shot shows off the wire hair but they look too tall to be Wire haired Terriers? Ok, as I read on down the posts I see where your answer to Curt stated they were Airedales, that breed is even larger than the Welch Terriers.

Karl: Congrats on your 9 Wedding Anniversary!

I think I'm fairly well caught up, it only took all afteroon LoL.

Thanks Curt. I bought some Scalecoat Boxcar red at my LHS,and it looks to be a close match to the color on the caboose. To be honest, I welcome a little bit of the PRR in my collection. After all,the Pennsy had some controlling interest in the L&N,as well the N&W. Did you know that Pennsylvania diesels sometime showed up on L&N passenger trains?
Thanks again for your help. William.

Evening Gents,
Dad was wanting to turn around and come right back tomorrow.
For Pete's sakes he just went back home Thursday afternoon after my scans.
Thank goodness I happened to get up for a drink and checked email to see his plans.
He was fixing to take off around noon tomorrow (Monday 9/5) and be here around 9pm.
To be honest I'm not ready to have company staying around again just yet.
I've lived alone far too long to have constant company cramp my style - so to speak.

So I called up tonight saying to at least wait until we hear something back from the test results and/or the Dr.(s) involved. No reason to sit around here in this bachelor pad.
Ask Ken about that. When he came here I apologized for my abode being such a "bachelor pad". Ken said to not worry and that he was most comfortable in my environment and nothing to apologize about.

To be honest, I simply was wanting to be alone for a while before I had someone around 24 hours a day again. Of course I didn't put it to him that way so as to be sure no feelings were hurt.
The short story is we agreed that I would call as soon I knew anything new and if I needed him to be here the next day - no problem.

Guess, I'll go lay in bed in front of the TV.
E.

David- That picture of MOH and the engine was taken about 25 years ago, she is still an attractive lady and I am a lucky guy to have such a great partner.

My other hobby is collecting kerosene lamps, here is some of the others.

IMG_1254.jpg

Mel

...Ken - Nice photo. Like the dwarf signals. ...
Thanks Chet, they are a signature feature of the B&O. I want to get all of them installed before I start putting down any scenery. Nice looking Buick, but I see what you mean about the platform - I agree with you 100% on that!:rolleyes:

Ken as busy as you keep yourself we are blessed to hear from you at all. Don't forget I am retired, ... Great work Ken! ...
Thank you for the kind words Louis!

Ken- Nice job on the dwarf signal. Are the wires soldered to the track for the signal or power jumpers? ...
Curt, that particular signal is on the same 12v buss that powers my Tortoises, totally separate from the track power. I control the aspects manually via toggle switches.

...Ken: ..., congrats on your staying off the sauce for so long too!!
Thank you David, long time no see! About alcoholism: That is a physiological disease, usually genetic, where the body doesn't properly metabolize alcoholic beverages. Contrary to the popular myth, it is not caused by people consciously wanting to escape their personal problems [though psychological problems frequently do occur once the disease has progressed]. Many people lead perfectly normal, productive lives and don't realize they have it - until they get nailed for DWI!

As for staying sober, I do that one day at a time: Every morning as soon as I get out of bed, I ask God to let me stay clear of any alcoholic beverages for the rest of today. Hasn't failed me since I started 33 years ago...
Out of curiosity, what is the reason for the low signals along with the high signals? ...
The B&O used the mast signals to direct trains on the main line, and dwarves to control them on sidings and yard tracks.
cpl20a.jpg

In situations where a siding merged onto the main, the engineer would see the lights on both signals and automatically know which one (upper or lower) applied to him, depending on whether he was on the main or the siding.

Been another busy day for me! After I got back from Mass and had lunch, I spent the afternoon in the trainroom installing a few additional spur tracks on my Ford plant peninsula. This was followed by a cookout at my daughter's place, didn't get back until ~10:30pm. Hope to finish the tracklaying by the end of tomorrow.

Y'all have a happy [and safe] Labor Day!

Hiya gang!
Its Midnight, the time and the fuzzball in the corner. He got a bath this morning, and I didn't lose any blood! Amazing! :cool: Got a bunch of yard work done today, watched Napcar and listed some more stuff on fleaBay. (Louis is gonna kill me!)
SWMBO wants to take the truck to Home Desperate tomorrow and get mulch. Yech! Me, I'm gonna play with my new pressure washer in the morning, and trains in the afternoon.
But 1st,, gotta see the Sandman!
L8ter!

Back