Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

I would have been truly impressed if it had gone out the door at the end of the video, got into a car, and drove home.

A college here asked it's students to identify jobs they could be employed in that robots wouldn't be able to do instead, in the next 10 years. The answers were depressing.

Good evening Shop dwellers! Just a quick update:

Today was highly productive, I managed [just barely] to get all my new track components installed; the tough part is over. Now I have to solder feeder wires onto them - not necessarily difficult since I pre-soldered little copper "whiskers" onto each individual piece of track before attaching them to the roadbed, but very time-consuming. Curt I promise I'll snap and post some photos of the new trackwork once everything is completed, and the tools and other miscellaneous clutter have been cleared off the layout surface!

Joe - interesting info there, about the "dummy" mast. If my NJ International mast signals weren't made of metal, I'd think about kitbashing the one at the north end of Clark Avenue Terminal. But that's something I simply haven't developed the talent to do just yet...

Its already happening, ...
Kinda brings me back to this Top40 song from 1968:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhNM2K8cmU8

Gotta get to bed now, I'm nodding off as I type this...g'nite!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking after watching Terry's great videos, Check them out on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCobQFtKJVXH9aNadEPL8chQ I need some big blue power on my layout.
dab519013af1343b1eadcaef2d3036fd0e871e75-1_20130918-105724-C1-Trainz-3550413-STILL-02_a11a44.jpg

The down side of over spending on trains is countered by the joy of remembering you have something stowed away. That one is not mine, but I have one like it! :)

Good morning Everybody!

I spoke to our friend Phil aka Flip; he is still experiencing technical difficulties with his computer. He wants me to express to everyone his deepest considerations; Birthdays, Anniversaries, Health and Wellbeing, of all our train Family and Friends. He regrets that he is unable to acknowledge or reply, or lend support to each and everyone of you. We are lucky to have Phil as a member/friend, he extends his blessings and friendship to all of us, thank God. :)

Although he did not mention himself I will let you know he sounds to be in good spirits especially considering the frustrating problem he has with his computer.

Terry I tried to send you a message, but your inbox is full.

I sent you an email instead.

I am not from Nigeria and the prince does not need only $500 from you to send you $10 Million,

Good morning. It's clear and 63.

For anyone wrestling with deciding if you would rather be rich or smart, send me $1000, and I'll show you how to be both...

Louis, I got an email notification my PM box was full, but no other emails. Maybe someday, I'll clean out the mailbox here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 71°, and cloudy with a 30% chance of showers. Have fasting blood work scheduled for 0800, and have been up since 0520. Now I'm angry that I didn't just cancel this waste of time and money test.

Good Morning Everyone. It's a warm 76° and partly cloudy here this morning. I hope that everyone had a good Labor Day holiday. I'm visiting the dental hygienist today for teeth cleaning. I had five teeth removed in January, but she doesn't charge me any less for the cleaning! They're supposed to take impressions for my last set of implants as well. Titanium posts are already in place. While the pool temperature has maintained an 84°-85° range, it won't last much longer. Only about one out of every three years do I get to use it after September 10.
Just mainly piddled in the train shed yesterday. worked on placement of structures, ran a lot of trains, imagineered a bit and painted some cows.
Chet - Nice to see the photos of Pete's layout after the number of times that you have spoken of it.
Curt -
Willie- Great looking trackwork. What is the radius of it?
Thanks. Outer loop is 29 7/8" and inner is 27 3/4". While there is a slight inside overhang with some of the well cars and the SD40-2's, it really isn't noticeable. Most of the rest of the layout has 32" radius curves on the main.
I like the coloring of the wood on your crossing.
Joe - That option is there as all herbicide sprayers are required to have insurance for overspray, but the hassle isn't worth it. I only lost 6 out of 60 plants so it isn't that big of a deal. As you pointed out, I would have to be able to prove it, and I'm still not sure that is the reason I lost the plants. The previous farmer/tenant went over 30 years without spraying, and this guy could have just mowed the weeds instead of spraying. He has not had a successful crop on that field since he took over the lease three years ago. He tried to plant corn earlier this year and the contract planter got stuck in the mud twice in the first 50 yards. It took a major piece of equipment to get him out. They gave up! There's only certain times of the year that soil can be worked in this neighborhood and April to early May is not one of them. I have not met him, but the neighbors say that he is a young head-strong whippersnapper who won't listen to them regarding the land around here.
Sherrel - Maybe it's just a regional thing, but onions around here in the grocery stores are always that big or bigger.
Eric - We grow the Vidalia's here in TX as well, but we're not allowed to call them that because of some patent/copyright issues. You're right about them being especially good.

Everyone have a great day.

Willie

Louis, I got an email notification my PM box was full, but no other emails. Maybe someday, I'll clean out the mailbox here...
That's what happens when you have to be a juggler, you have to think carefully when to add the 4th, 5th ... ball.

Bigger, Better, must be New Jersey? The Garden state can rival anybody, Maryland use to be the best, but now farmland is becoming scarce. Willie are we biased? Maybe just a little. ;) Nothing like being a homer, I respect a homer. :)

For the record I like yellow onions, but not too big so that they don't lose their bite. I don't like sweet onions.

Lot going on here this morning, as my Nanny would say "this place is like Grand Central!"
gctfacade-e1359570820247.jpg

They really should have had the lights on inside the terminal for this picture.

Good morning folks.

Raining for the next few days. I'm thinking I'm going to have to bag the lawn when I mow on Thursday. The grass is growing like crazy!

Nothing new on the Homefront. Received an email from my wife that felt a little encouraging. Guess I just need to keep working on me and see what happens.

I love the talk about cars you guys have had lately. That's one of the things my brother and I can talk about for hours. The "if you could have one car from such and such decade or era, what would it be and why?" I forget that we grew up together sometimes!

No trains lately. I haven't had much time for them I guess. Either that or I'm not making time. That's fine, they're waiting patiently for me.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and has a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm back. The whole bloodletting process took less time than it takes to write these comments. but getting there and fasting prior, for what?

I am relatively healthy, but have recently slowed way down. Blood work always comes back good, and the numbers are always on target, so why do I feel so blah? Each time I see the doc, it's you need therapy, or surgery or ... Opened a prescription, for lung medication, I've been taking since around 2001 or so. Among the reactions, bone and muscle pain.....Wow! Ya think that may be the problem? Oh, silly me, changing the Rx to something less harmful to my body, doesn't generate sufficient billing revenue.

Found and scanned this set of "Snap Shots" from a 110 camera, (remember them?), taken along the CR (ex PRR) Popes Creek Secondary Track just North of Waldorf, MD. on 10-23-1978. A Coal train enroute to the PEPCO Power Plant at Morgantown, MD - along US 301 - ran over a broken 135lb rail. This is the result:
Waldorf MD 10- 23-1978.jpg

Pardon the quality of the photos. I used an old camera I kept in the car to photograph stuff during accidents and wrecks.

Good morning. We're off to a cool start for the day at 38 Degrees. The dogs are curled up by the fire. Don't blame them. The high for the day is expected to only be in the mid 60's.

Louis - Nice photo of The Grand Central Terminal.

Willie - Hope things go well at the dentist. A couple of years ago I had implants put in for a lower denture. Works fantastic. I can eat anything I want to. I do have more photos from Pete's layout and it's just a matter of finding them.

Terry - Enjoyed the sounds of the Switcher. Impressive.

Joe - I have really enjoyed all of the information yo have been posting. Also the photos of the RDC's. I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the new Rapido RDC's, but as I have mentioned, I do have enough trains (for the time being). They are beautiful units, but pricey.

Sherrel - I saw that video of the robot a number of months back. Amazing.

Guess I post a morning photo and get out of here. Here's the Milwaukee Road Alco crossing the Gallatin River on the main coming into Gallatin Junction. The track on the right is the yard lead.

IMAG0861.jpg

Later.

Back