Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

What in blazes happened to the Coffee Shop overnight? Reads as if it has gone bonkers! Phones that have to be charged? Steering wheels on cars - ridiculous! Christmas in July? Stores actually trying to sell things? Computers that don't work? .. maybe the guys from India can fix it? Next thing will be the IRS calling for payment; all you have to do is give them your banking info.

Hello All .. its 65 headed towards 92 today, but will only be 77 they say up at Big Bear which is 7000 feet in altitude.
At least I know that the fridge will sputter at times due to the altitude ... so will I.
We are in the final throws of getting everything loaded - and I do mean throws! I think we are moving - I just haven't been told?

OK everyone stay safe and prayers to all for health and well being .. You too RAY .. LoL.

...Louis - I have coyotes, bobcats, snakes and hawks that keep the neighborhood rats down. My own cats keep them away from the house...

I've heard estimates that we could have over 100000 ferrule cats in Baltimore. You think they would keep down the rats. The real problem is the people. I guess I could say that about almost any subject.

Sounds like we both have the same retailers.
They are the same everywhere, bless their hearts.

Louis, I see Ellicott City got washed away yesterday. Any problems where you are?
All dry here Terry, thank you for asking. :) We don't flood here in southeast Baltimore, unless we have a storm surge at high tide then get out the life rafts!

What in blazes happened to the Coffee Shop overnight? Reads as if it has gone bonkers! Phones that have to be charged? Steering wheels on cars - ridiculous! Christmas in July? Stores actually trying to sell things? Computers that don't work? .. maybe the guys from India can fix it? Next thing will be the IRS calling for payment; all you have to do is give them your banking info.

It's just a holiday back at the funny farm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4wMn21DePs

I just got back from the store. I stocked up on health food/medicine; UTZ Red Hot Potato Chips, 9.5oz bag for $1.50! I'm set for a few weeks.

Almost nap time.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning everybody ..

Sherrel ..... I bet your trip will be fun. It's nice to be able to throw in so much stuff. Better than flying where baggage is restricted. .... Have safe trip.

Eric ... I'm still concerned about you.... Another suggestion is to google "GA Medicaid telephone contacts". Then call the one that appears to be the highest ranking person. Call their office and ask to be transferred to a real person who will assist you with signing up for benefits. ... Most people are nicer if you "butter than up" a bit in the conversation and they try to cooperate.

Regarding "smart phones" ..... I hate it when they pocket dial. .... How embarrassing.

Regarding wildlife..... We have numerous species here. ... I'm upset at the deer this year for eating all of my blueberries from my blueberry bushes.... Next blueberry season, I will cover with screens or nets of some sort. ...

Regarding help desks for technical support of computers..... I named they guy on the phone "Bombay Bob"... He's hard to understand.

Happy Model Railroading ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis, I see Ellicott City got washed away yesterday. Any problems where you are?

Terry. Louis's area did well, and were fine up here on the mountain. Ellicott City did not do well. Found this clip on YouTube. Cars washing down the street, about a block up from the Ellicott City train station/ Ellicott City branch of the B&O Museum. You can see the structure above the cars at the end of the clip as they start to jam up under the CSX bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rn1g_24Mchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rn1g_24Mc

There was also flooding throughout Howard and Baltimore Counties, including near where a certain CSX_Road_slug lives. Kennys house is up high, but getting to it must have been a mess last night.

I just hunkered down during the storm and played with trains, to the soft reassuring sounds of the sump pump every now and then.

Louis- Did you cook the corn as in the post I sent you ???

Phil

I did Phil, it worked even better then expected! It's perfect for summer time, I don't have to heat the house with boiling water or cook it out side and over heat myself.

Forgive me for not telling you and thank you again!

Karl I had no idea it was so bad, that is so sad. We had heavy rain off and on but I never did hear the sump pump run.

That is why I sweep the street and pick up the debris before is gets to the storm drain. We are fortunate to have good drainage.

Good afternoon, Its mostly cloudy and humid, 76° at present. Roughly 1.01" of new rain over the last 24 hours. That makes 3.75" of rain last week. Drought? what drought? There was similar flooding in the Princeton / Plainsboro area of NJ, There were cars floating in the Princeton Junction NJT Station lot. Here, it just rained hard overnight and into the morning.

Sherrel, Ray, Phil: Wife and I each have smart phones, the wife an Apple I-, I have a basic Samsung Galaxy. I was skeptical at first, I was used to a business Blackberry...but I find this device very useful. While I don't stream movies, or surf the web, I do use the camera, text and read e-mail on it, use the flashlight, the alarm clock/timer, and watch MLB games and NHL games on it, and also use the memo pad, (great for shopping lists), There is also a calendar, to list / schedule appointments, a GPS map program, plus a few other useful items. All phone calls, both local and long distance are free, as are text messages. The phone syncs to my F150s radio, so It works hands free in my truck too. I was able to get rid of the land line phone, until recently, when I added one to my cable so that I could use my printer as a fax, with all the B-S concerning my MIL's affairs.

Although we lost service, during Sandy, the cell network was the first back when power was restored. Cable was second. The Bell Landline system, (Verizon) was the last to be restored. If I could figure a better way to reliably fax documents, I would eliminate the land line phone again. its simply not necessary for residential / personal use.

Louis: ya forgot the barrel of Snyders Pretzels! Lately, we have been trying low sodium potato chips. Some are better than others...Were back in second place again...wot happened?

Garry: The pocket dials are a tad embarrassing, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Sherrel: Enjoy Big Bear.

I"m about to let loose some creativity, and work on the layout. too wet for out door activity.

It's noon here with a temperature of 70 degrees, going to a high of 75.

Not much on today's agenda, I have to mow the front lawn which is fairly easy, it's not that big.

Our property backs out onto an Indian Reserve which gives us a nice country view. We have a nice family of Racoons which keep the outdoor cat population down which saves the birds. People here still insist on letting their cats outside, all they do is wander around, ruin flower beds and kill birds. We have had cats for years, they live three times as long and they never get outside. end of rant:)

Sherrel- Hope you and your family have a great time camping. We did this for years, even during the years that we owned and operated a campground and RV park, it was always nice to get away from our usual workdays and relax in some quiet forestry campsite. Sometimes after having the kids along when they were younger, it was nice to get home for a rest!

Mel

Hey! What can I say? I'm old !! I still prefer stickshift and would be happy with a party line for my phone. And I was faster using a CATALOG to look up parts than a dang 'puter and more accurate. Had to rely on what was in the 'puter. I always kept the oldest cat. and had notes written where I'd made corrections.

Phil

Good Sunday morning fellow 'Tie & Rail Setters & Spike Drivers',
God almighty, what flooding in Howard & Baltimore Counties as in the video Karl provided of that portion Ellicott City, OMG!
Water has a tremendous force to it alright! That situation more than proves that it pays to be on high ground. I guess that
really caused a problem an the RR station there too?

Hi Flo & Francine, How are things here at Jeffrey's Dinner? How about some coffee and a apple fritter? What Garry got the last one, well that's how things go. How about a English muffin with butter and jelly and some grated cheeder cheeze on it?
Thanks, that sounds good.

Good morning. Still sick.
So is the computer.
It "updated" overnight, to a new version of Windows 10. Now, it won't recognize the license that came with it, and Microsoft wants me to buy another activation license for $119.99. I see now how this Windows 10 is going to go...

Say, Terry: My question concerning that situation is, 'How/Why' did Microsoft do the upgrade to begin with if the license wasn't valid ??

I ran into a similar situation years back where I built a new computer and had purchased Windows XP with all the documentation proving it was it was valid and indeed initially Microsoft accepted as such and did one or two updates and then started pulling the same Crap so I never again attempted to update their OS again.

Terry. Louis's area did well, and were fine up here on the mountain. Ellicott City did not do well. Found this clip on YouTube. Cars washing down the street, about a block up from the Ellicott City train station/ Ellicott City branch of the B&O Museum. You can see the structure above the cars at the end of the clip as they start to jam up under the CSX bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rn1g_24Mchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rn1g_24Mc

There was also flooding throughout Howard and Baltimore Counties, including near where a certain CSX_Road_slug lives. Kennys house is up high, but getting to it must have been a mess last night.

I just hunkered down during the storm and played with trains, to the soft reassuring sounds of the sump pump every now and then.

Karl: That quite some video someone posted on Youtube, interestingly enough, I could watch it without problems. That was sure some mess alright, poor folks must have had tremendous amount of property damage!

Good afternoon, Its mostly cloudy and humid, 76° at present. Roughly 1.01" of new rain over the last 24 hours. That makes 3.75" of rain last week. Drought? what drought? There was similar flooding in the Princeton / Plainsboro area of NJ, There were cars floating in the Princeton Junction NJT Station lot. Here, it just rained hard overnight and into the morning.

Sherrel, Ray, Phil: Wife and I each have smart phones, the wife an Apple I-, I have a basic Samsung Galaxy. I was skeptical at first, I was used to a business Blackberry...but I find this device very useful. While I don't stream movies, or surf the web, I do use the camera, text and read e-mail on it, use the flashlight, the alarm clock/timer, and watch MLB games and NHL games on it, and also use the memo pad, (great for shopping lists), There is also a calendar, to list / schedule appointments, a GPS map program, plus a few other useful items. All phone calls, both local and long distance are free, as are text messages. The phone syncs to my F150s radio, so It works hands free in my truck too. I was able to get rid of the land line phone, until recently, when I added one to my cable so that I could use my printer as a fax, with all the B-S concerning my MIL's affairs.

Although we lost service, during Sandy, the cell network was the first back when power was restored. Cable was second. The Bell Landline system, (Verizon) was the last to be restored. If I could figure a better way to reliably fax documents, I would eliminate the land line phone again. its simply not necessary for residential / personal use.

Louis: ya forgot the barrel of Snyders Pretzels! Lately, we have been trying low sodium potato chips. Some are better than others...Were back in second place again...wot happened?

Garry: The pocket dials are a tad embarrassing, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Sherrel: Enjoy Big Bear.

I"m about to let loose some creativity, and work on the layout. too wet for out door activity.

Say, Boris: Good choice under the circumstances. I'd like to do the same thing but it's too hot in the garage and I'm waiting on my new Tech 7 transformer so I can run some trains, even if only Point to Point for the time being.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Evening All,

Did a couple of chores this morning then ran trains for a couple of hours. I did a lot of switching at all my industries (except coal mine) and the third track that I put in at the freight house and the Meat Packing area really gives me a lot more flexibility to move cars around. I think it was a smart decision to put them in. Then I ran into a reverse loop issue.:mad: Of course 3 days ago there was no issue.

I'm trying to keep from crawling under the layout checking a ton of wires. This is my setup:

20160731_162237_zpsoagbmmc6.jpg

PLEASE HELP. Anytime I try to cross over one of the two sets of T/O's on the main the layout shorts
1. Everything has been metered before running a loco with no issue found.
2. Running a loco over the area on both tracks in both directions straight thru there are no issues
3. There are no issues where the reverse loop ends (insulated joiners) and the regular buss track begins on the main track (away from the T/O's).
4. I have cleaned the track and T/O's including the insulated joiners.
5. Everything worked 3 days ago without issue.
6. I disconnected the PTB-100 DPDT switch from track power (reverse loop) on the off chance this was the problem...it wasn't.
7. I have cycled track power and layout power several times without any change.
8. All the solders appear to be solid connections.

Phil- I'm like you. I would much rather read a real book than a E-reader or the like.

CA Dave- Wow. That's some video.

I hope everybody has a good night.

...Louis: ya forgot the barrel of Snyders Pretzels! Lately, we have been trying low sodium potato chips. Some are better than others...Were back in second place again...wot happened?...

Those barrels have gotten to be so expensive! We buy them buy the bag when they are on sale. Lately I have been buying UTZ's hard pretzels. A few months ago Walmart had the barrels on sale, but then the barrels got smaller. I was talking to the UTZ guy at the grocery story a few weeks ago and he told me "sales are down across the board, we can't give them away". I asked why he said "too many health nuts".

The skid is over, the Birds are back on top!!!

Good evening gentlemen. I do apologize for being hit and miss here for long periods of time. I reckon it is after all the summer. Anyways I found myself in a bit of a pickle today. I attempted to bring back my down and out GP40. Not sure if y'all remember or not when it burned up on me. Well I pulled out the burned wiring which by the way was my rear leds. Got it all put back together and it was up and running again....well at least for a few minutes it was then it died again and the overload lamp came back on. Dead again. So off came the shell again and ofcourse the rear lamps were out of the board and I would say grounding out my locomotive. Sooooo....after getting pretty well upset at these stupid plastic clips that hold the wires in place I have decided that maybe it would be better to just solder the wires to the board. I don't know if this is a feasible idea or not. All I know is this locomotive is driving me up the wall. Anyways y'all enjoy your evening. I'll try to keep in touch a little bit more often.

Justin

Justin I'm sorry to hear about your locomotive.

The last thing you have to worry about is being absent from the coffee shop, attendance is not mandatory, but it can be therapeutic. This great bunch of guys are not going to be bothered if you can't make in, we understand, life happens.

I know I speak for everybody when I say we are glad to see you when you can make it in.

Boris did you see the Haskell Invitational? Great race, but American Freedom seemed to make a run a little too late.

How about the PGA Championship?

New Jersey is the sports capital this Sunday.

Flooding is not new to Ellicott City, Maryland.
In 1972 Hurricane Agnes caused severe damage to the B&O. Here the B&O’s Ellicott City station is isolated by the flood waters of the Patapsco River. - B&O Railroad Museum.

13244849_10153952500740589_1709887607989177565_n.jpg

Here is why Ellicott City, formerly know as Ellicott's Mills is a historic station. The station is now a satellite location of the B&O Museum

On May 24, 1830 the first railroad passenger service in the U.S. opened to the public. - B&O Railroad Museum.
13043284_10153888898475589_494393991065675818_n.jpg

Back