Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

That's what I do BigE. I keep a list of items that I want and keep adding to it until I have a decent size order to help offset the shipping. I have been dealing with them for a number of years now and they are great to work with. I usually have my orders delivered out here in Montana within 5 work days.

Too funny. I'm on the phone with them right now!
You all turned me onto these folks. Turns out Woodland Scenic is right next door and Mo went next door to go get an answer to my question.

THAT my friends is true customer service!!!!
So I've ordered the Woodland Scenic T1344 and FL632 scenery/ground cover and some more 33" steel wheels.
Order placed!
Probably won't see it until next week being it's already Wednesday afternoon.
I just wanted to be sure these were 32oz shakers and some little sample packs.

When I got my NCE all hooked up and going, I dropped my cab one night. It didn't hit anything but the #8 key came completely out. I didn't know to do. Someone here in the "diner" gave me their direct number and said to call. I did. The feller I talked to asked if I was OK with taking stuff apart and minor repairs. "Sure!". He sent me a new keypad membrane next-day air with zero cost to me. Again that is customer service.

NG: hook up with these folks at MB Klein (modelrailroadstuff.com). They are super happy to help... as I am as well.
Like "Montanan"(Chet) says, build your list and make the shipping cost count.
Oh, and by the way, if you forget something (like I have many times), call them up, tell them your order number and they'll add to it - no charge. Again TRUE customer service!!!
E.

Karl, your link is bad for me. Says the domain is for sale.
I think I may know who you are thinking of.
Please clarify.....

Looked and looked and found a place called Factory Direct Trains, they had the numbers, many times looking and went to place order and they did not have what I wanted in stock, this guy did and I made his summer! Took 3 weeks to get my track from amazon, Joe has me my stuff in 2-5 days! He's down in N.C.

Looked and looked and found a place called Factory Direct Trains, they had the numbers, many times looking and went to place order and they did not have what I wanted in stock, this guy did and I made his summer! Took 3 weeks to get my track from amazon, Joe has me my stuff in 2-5 days! He's down in N.C.

Karl's thing reminded me of another site I recently found. They have good stuff.
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_brief.php

Watch out buying stuff from Amazon. They'll eat you up on shipping. Even with a Prime account
Sometimes it really does pay to shop around little.
E.

Too funny. I'm on the phone with them right now!
You all turned me onto these folks. Turns out Woodland Scenic is right next door and Mo went next door to go get an answer to my question.

THAT my friends is true customer service!!!!
So I've ordered the Woodland Scenic T1344 and FL632 scenery/ground cover and some more 33" steel wheels.
Order placed!
Probably won't see it until next week being it's already Wednesday afternoon.
I just wanted to be sure these were 32oz shakers and some little sample packs.

When I got my NCE all hooked up and going, I dropped my cab one night. It didn't hit anything but the #8 key came completely out. I didn't know to do. Someone here in the "diner" gave me their direct number and said to call. I did. The feller I talked to asked if I was OK with taking stuff apart and minor repairs. "Sure!". He sent me a new keypad membrane next-day air with zero cost to me. Again that is customer service.

NG: hook up with these folks at MB Klein (modelrailroadstuff.com). They are super happy to help... as I am as well.
Like "Montanan"(Chet) says, build your list and make the shipping cost count.
Oh, and by the way, if you forget something (like I have many times), call them up, tell them your order number and they'll add to it - no charge. Again TRUE customer service!!!
E.

LOL No worries there, the orders I'm placing get the 'treatment', they be Large, the guy called the first time to make sure it was not a joke! Now he calls to ask if I need MORE! LOL Getting down to it but still got some padding, most everything is purchased, just gotta put it down and try to run it, saving a bit back for the unexpected. Got 63 carefully chosen 2x4's in the garage, get the Boy to bring em down after dinner, gonna have us a little framing party tomorrow! Get the walls up so there will be someplace to attach the drywall ceiling. One more big batch of wood and I can start thinking electrical thoughts! I projected my expenses on the(very) high side and it is proving to be a wise strategy, the budget allowed for compared to actual expense has been about as expected BEFORE research. The 'save some back for the unexpected' provision was written into the original plan! I figured it would take about a grand for each category,#1, lumber,#2, good engines,#3, enough rolling stock,#4, enough track, connectors, turnouts and such,#5, details, like couplers, wheel-sets, specialty tools, #6,wiring/electrical power and throttles,#7,#8, THE UNEXPECTED! When I FIRST thought about it, I figured, at max, 10 G's I could hit the rails running, I was not far off. Of course I know nobody HAS to, or CAN spend like this to do this hobby and I know I never will again! But I'm(from SCRATCH!) playin 40 years of catch-up in less than a year, Mom passed last Oct and I want to be running trains by then, BIG trains! She's buying it, I'm gonna play with it!

Thinking on my 'nick-name' and a pic, a name for the 'company' and a "REAL" "MRR identity" so I will no longer be a 'FNG' LOL!

I will wait until the day the layout 'lives'!

Guys
I live 45 minutes from mbklein, but spend my money at the moose caboose Www.themoosecaboose.com Better prices and better, friendlier service. But that's my 2 cents.

Karl I still have yet to get up there to the Moose Caboose, but I will, maybe after my grandsons go back to school. I'll let you know when I am going, hopefully you can meet me there. When a man with your reputation makes a recommendation I don't take it lightly. I wish they had a better web site I would have probably bought something from them by now.

I can't imagine any store being friendlier then MB Klein. They always treat me like a king. I first shopped with them when I was 11 years old, back when Ted Klein still worked in the old store in downtown Baltimore. Now Ted just monitors the surveillance cameras from his home, I always wave hello to him when I go in. I have said this many times but I will repeat if for the new guys. For 40 years I only shopped for trains at Christmas time. In those first 40 years I probably did not spend much more then $200 total, but M.B. Klein always treated me like a million dollar customer. It paid off for them because I have spent over $10000 with M.B.Klein in the last few years now that I am a full time train junkie. They still treat me the same as they ever did.

My only complaint is MB Klein does not stock many Lionel locomotives and rolling stock. I understand that HO and N far out sell O and they only have so much space. I have been shopping at Trainz, Train World and other places on the internet for my new Lionel stuff when M.B. Klein does not have what I want in stock. I wish they did have more stock because they are almost always cheaper, no wonder they sell out so fast!

Karl's thing reminded me of another site I recently found. They have good stuff.
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_brief.php

Watch out buying stuff from Amazon. They'll eat you up on shipping. Even with a Prime account
Sometimes it really does pay to shop around little.
E.

So done with amazon, you are correct. Bouncing around out there and prices are pretty compatible from site to site for the same items. What swings my vote is the % off on Loco's, if it's good I'll buy other things while I'm there. I've been going after specific things and when I see them I STRIKE! ( yes, even if it's Bachman! LOL)

Evening All,

Just had supper after picking up and delivering 50 boxes to our daughter for packing up the house. Today on the layout I cleaned it up, put tools away and vacuumed the floor. I also did about 20 minutes of plastering in between the track and the fascia so now you can't look straight through to the floor.

Garry- I am glad you were able to enjoy your Grandmothers 95th birthday with her. Unfortunately my Grandmother was deep in the effects of Alzheimer's by then.

Karl- I have always been happy with MB Klein, in fact I have HO deer and bear coming from them now. I will definitely check out the other site, but I have never heard of them.

It is pretty easy for me to do yard track. I mix my normal ballast with cinders (steam power) the add yellowish color grass in between. I also like to use Scenic Express small grass clumps for in between the rails for little used sidings. Depending of what is on the siding determines my mix of ballast and cinders.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Before I go to bed here is a pretty girl for everyone to look at

Good night everybody!
gm50.jpg

I've bought some stuff from halfpricehobbies.com. They do have some great prices on some stuff, but you have to know what you are looking at, and double check prices carefully. A couple of times, I've seen something offered for 50% off. That's great. The price was $129.99, 50% off of $139.99...
If you want an HO scale Bowser C636 with sound, they have them for $179.99, the best price I've found.

Karl I still have yet to get up there to the Moose Caboose, but I will, maybe after my grandsons go back to school. I'll let you know when I am going, hopefully you can meet me there. When a man with your reputation makes a recommendation I don't take it lightly. I wish they had a better web site I would have probably bought something from them by now.

Lets all go to the Moose Caboose! ;)

IMG_2225.jpg

Ken knows the way too!

I've bought some stuff from halfpricehobbies.com. They do have some great prices on some stuff, but you have to know what you are looking at, and double check prices carefully. A couple of times, I've seen something offered for 50% off. That's great. The price was $129.99, 50% off of $139.99...
If you want an HO scale Bowser C636 with sound, they have them for $179.99, the best price I've found.

Figures, I click on the link and it says they are shutting down, that's a good price, w/DCC equipped. One of the 'unforeseens' in my plan is decoders, going to have to figure that out as far as what I like in capabilities. On Loco's I bought a good mix and match of styles and makers, I'll have to see what each one likes as I deploy them, find out what others have liked for different models. Been hunting for particulars, trying to cover all the bases Big Steam, little steam, diesels of various types, switch engines, maintenance vehicles. A futuristic Bullet Train is all I'm missing.

Evening All,

Garry- I am glad you were able to enjoy your Grandmothers 95th birthday with her. Unfortunately my Grandmother was deep in the effects of Alzheimer's by then.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt ... Actually, it is my mother who is 96. ... All of my grandparents passed away long ago.... Thanks for commenting.

Karl ... I was in M B Klien's store about 15 years ago. THye had quite a selection.

Eric ... I've been in Caboose Hobbies in Denver. They also have quite a selection.

Good late evening to all,

I was trying to track down a good friend from the forums here, 'zoegraf', who a few of you corresponded with him too and then all of a sudden nothing. The last post of his on here was about Micro Engineering track, 'Post: 03-25-2013 06:'

He did send me a DVD video he made of his trains, from Vancouver, BC where he and his wife were living on March 3, 2014, I think he and I may have exchanged one or two emails after that date and then nothing from him since then?

Do any of you by chance know where he went?

Your help would be appreciated,

David S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone!

69 with 72% humidity under mostly clear skies with a forecasted high of 79 in southeast Baltimore. Holy mackerel Andy it feels like spring, in the dog days of August!

Halloween will be here before you know it! Halloween Pumpkin 2013.jpg

Have a great day everybody!

Figures, I click on the link and it says they are shutting down, that's a good price, w/DCC equipped. One of the 'unforeseens' in my plan is decoders, going to have to figure that out as far as what I like in capabilities. On Loco's I bought a good mix and match of styles and makers, I'll have to see what each one likes as I deploy them, find out what others have liked for different models. Been hunting for particulars, trying to cover all the bases Big Steam, little steam, diesels of various types, switch engines, maintenance vehicles. A futuristic Bullet Train is all I'm missing.
http://halfpricehobby.com/collections/40-off-items/products/820024236311

Back