Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

Good morning everybody!

71 with 90% humidity in southeast Baltimore, headed to a high in the low 90s today.

Busy day ahead, I don't know how much time for trains I will have.

Here is a picture that may help us stay cool
13084066495_1830f68818_z.jpg

Have a great day everybody!

Good morning. Starting off at 54 degrees and clear, or almost, we do have some smoke around the valley from the western forest fires.

Curt - Looks good. Sounds like you got a few problems sorted out. Always enjoy your photo updates.

Trussrod - I was always interested operating on John Allens layout. I never got attacked by his nail fence, but I can remember quite a few who did. Photography was a hobby of mine and this struck a cord with John and we did enjoy talking about photography. One thing I did learn from him is that photos will show you all of your mistakes. It's a lot easier for us today with digital photography. I think back quite a lot about operating on his layout and often wonder how much more interesting it could have been operating the layout with DCC.

I have mentioned numerous times that I am a DC operator and have no plans to venture into DCC, but Johns layout would have been perfect for it. Switch flipping was always a chore while operating there. He sure would start barking at someone if a wrong switch was thrown for power. I think he just enjoyed trying to appear gruff, but he was not like that at all. Having operated on a number of huge layouts, I can really appreciate what DCC has done for the hobby and making operations a lot more interesting.

Good morning, 60 and sunny. Headed for 72. Next week we are going to get hot and humid again, acording to the weatherman.

LOUIS-- nice shot of B & O and Chessie loco's, trains.

NFG, probably a better and cheaper alternative to ordering all those wired joiners is to get two rolls of wire, one red, and one black. Get an inexpensive soldering iron, some fine rosin-core solder, and a small tin of flux. Get a couple packages of rail joiners, and strip the wires, and solder them to the bottom of the joiners. Cost will probably be a tenth of the pre-made ones, leaving more money for trains, and you will be gaining experience and soldering skills on something not absolutely critical, if you screw one up. Just make half black wire, and half red wire, and put all the red wires on the outer rail, and all the black ones on the inner rail. It makes it a lot easier to wire if everything is color-coded.

LOL Was thinking about that very thing. Going to use old fingernail polish to mark the positive side feeders as I install them. The wired joins I bought have all blue wires, it would not be good to loose track of the track! LOL

LOL Was thinking about that very thing. Going to use old fingernail polish to mark the positive side feeders as I install them. The wired joins I bought have all blue wires, it would not be good to loose track of the track! LOL

Using leftover house wire for main bus,14 size. May have to use a 'step down' with 18 gage to get connectors that fit, matching the 14 down to the (22?) size feeders. May not be clips in the right size to go 14-22. Saw a vid where the guy had to do that for his sons layout, he had 12 size wire going down to 22 size feeders. and needed the 18 to 'step' them together with those sweet looking suitcase clips. End product looked good.

Good morning. Starting off at 54 degrees and clear, or almost, we do have some smoke around the valley from the western forest fires.

Curt - Looks good. Sounds like you got a few problems sorted out. Always enjoy your photo updates.

Trussrod - I was always interested operating on John Allens layout. I never got attacked by his nail fence, but I can remember quite a few who did. Photography was a hobby of mine and this struck a cord with John and we did enjoy talking about photography. One thing I did learn from him is that photos will show you all of your mistakes. It's a lot easier for us today with digital photography. I think back quite a lot about operating on his layout and often wonder how much more interesting it could have been operating the layout with DCC.

I have mentioned numerous times that I am a DC operator and have no plans to venture into DCC, but Johns layout would have been perfect for it. Switch flipping was always a chore while operating there. He sure would start barking at someone if a wrong switch was thrown for power. I think he just enjoyed trying to appear gruff, but he was not like that at all. Having operated on a number of huge layouts, I can really appreciate what DCC has done for the hobby and making operations a lot more interesting.

Carefull with those fires , keep a 'Bug-out bag' handy!

Even without DCC I would be building a layout, maybe not quite so huge but definetly would be putting something together, trains are TOO COOL!!! Initial 'track plan' is a spur yard leading to three large, convoluted loops. Once I get the hang of that I'll try a reversing loop or two.

Morning gents. Around 73 here this morning.
Stayed up way too late with my [former] Marine buddy last night.
I hadn't seen him in several days. He usually comes over about every day.
I'm supposed to help my neighbor clean out his out-building that we moved the other day. We also need to level it front-to-back. When we set it up a couple days ago we leveled it side-to-side and got it stable and both of us forgot all about that other axis. duh on both of us! That's ok. At least I have the 4' level handy.
I told him I would help him early in the morning if he wanted to get busy with it again. That morning would be this morning. Having stayed up too late last night with copious beers and story telling, I wish now I hadn't made that commitment. But I'm not one to back out on a promise so I'm ready whenever he comes out. Then again he never called last night and I haven't seen him out this morning so I wouldn't mind if he wants to put it off another day.
To be honest he probably needs to lay off for a few days anyway. He about died in front of me the other day when we moved the building. He was pouring sweat like a kitchen sink sprayer. He sweats heavy anyhow so I wasn't worried about that until he just says "I need to go in right now!". I didn't think much of it but the next day he told me before he walked in his back door (about 50-60' from where we were) he lost all color vision and "everything turned white". Then he said he couldn't talk for a while.
That was a few days ago and even yesterday before he ran me over to the WalMart he said he still wasn't feeling right. In hindsight I'll bet if they were to do a blood enzyme on him, he had a full blown heart attack or stroke right in front of me. CPR and resuscitation I can handle but I wouldn't know what to do about a stroke. Call 911 in either case of course.
He is 73 but is always doing something. He's into lawn tractors like we are into our trains. He's never been a drinker except for maybe a couple of margaritas a year and never smoked but is diabetic and a bit overweight and out of shape.
Now that I'm thinking about it and the more he's told me about the other day, it would suit me fine if he wants to put it off for a few days. It would probably be better for him anyway. Personally, I don't cotton to the idea of having someone die in my arms.
Hellfire, I got my own tachy heart problem and don't much care to die either. At least not like this.
Now that I say all that I see him tinkering on his back deck so I'll amble over and talk him out of any effort today. Maybe level up his building would be ok. It's in the shade and still early and not too hot - yet.
I'd rather to do this around 0630.
Now as I'm about click on "post" I don't see him out now. Maybe he decided to layoff for now. He hasn't called. He knows he can call me anytime and I'll drop whatever I'm doing and come help. But he's like me in that I'll never ask for help.
Well there he is again.
Best go see what's going on.
Catch you all later.
E.

new guy - We don't have any fires locally but the smoke is coming in from fires in California, Oregon, Idaho and western Montana. It's a common thing up here.

YA, I get about 15-20 times into carrying boxes up from the basement and I gotta take a break. "Back in the day" I could have had this cleaned out in 3 days, it took 3 months! I've 'moved' myself and others continuously for 35+ years and I'm TIRED! This basement cleanout has been the LAST heavy lifting project of my life, I will NOT be doing anything like this EVER again! I need a job like this done I'm CALLIN somebody! It's the nephew's turn to be the 'go to guy' when somebody wants to move a PIANO from a basement to a church or all their stuff UP three flights to the new apartment, I'M DONE!!!

He, HEEE, looked out the door and BINGO! The FLEX TRACK is HERE!!! 3oo feet! I'll never have to buy another inch of straight or curve! just turnouts and crossings! LOL

Looking at turnouts, is it worth the price for peco over atlas? I bought some atlas cause they were less expensive. But the peco's keep callin to me.

new guy - We don't have any fires locally but the smoke is coming in from fires in California, Oregon, Idaho and western Montana. It's a common thing up here.

No likee fires, got chased out of a campground in the U.P. (Two Heart) by fire once, not a good time, the beer got warm!

Morning gents. Around 73 here this morning.
Stayed up way too late with my [former] Marine buddy last night.
I hadn't seen him in several days. He usually comes over about every day.
I'm supposed to help my neighbor clean out his out-building that we moved the other day. We also need to level it front-to-back. When we set it up a couple days ago we leveled it side-to-side and got it stable and both of us forgot all about that other axis. duh on both of us! That's ok. At least I have the 4' level handy.
I told him I would help him early in the morning if he wanted to get busy with it again. That morning would be this morning. Having stayed up too late last night with copious beers and story telling, I wish now I hadn't made that commitment. But I'm not one to back out on a promise so I'm ready whenever he comes out. Then again he never called last night and I haven't seen him out this morning so I wouldn't mind if he wants to put it off another day.
To be honest he probably needs to lay off for a few days anyway. He about died in front of me the other day when we moved the building. He was pouring sweat like a kitchen sink sprayer. He sweats heavy anyhow so I wasn't worried about that until he just says "I need to go in right now!". I didn't think much of it but the next day he told me before he walked in his back door (about 50-60' from where we were) he lost all color vision and "everything turned white". Then he said he couldn't talk for a while.
That was a few days ago and even yesterday before he ran me over to the WalMart he said he still wasn't feeling right. In hindsight I'll bet if they were to do a blood enzyme on him, he had a full blown heart attack or stroke right in front of me. CPR and resuscitation I can handle but I wouldn't know what to do about a stroke. Call 911 in either case of course.
He is 73 but is always doing something. He's into lawn tractors like we are into our trains. He's never been a drinker except for maybe a couple of margaritas a year and never smoked but is diabetic and a bit overweight and out of shape.
Now that I'm thinking about it and the more he's told me about the other day, it would suit me fine if he wants to put it off for a few days. It would probably be better for him anyway. Personally, I don't cotton to the idea of having someone die in my arms.
Hellfire, I got my own tachy heart problem and don't much care to die either. At least not like this.
Now that I say all that I see him tinkering on his back deck so I'll amble over and talk him out of any effort today. Maybe level up his building would be ok. It's in the shade and still early and not too hot - yet.
I'd rather to do this around 0630.
Now as I'm about click on "post" I don't see him out now. Maybe he decided to layoff for now. He hasn't called. He knows he can call me anytime and I'll drop whatever I'm doing and come help. But he's like me in that I'll never ask for help.
Well there he is again.
Best go see what's going on.
Catch you all later.
E.

Good lookin out there E, a neighbor like y'all is hard to find!

It's only my stubborn "under-stains" that are holding me together! LOL

I would definitely consider Peco turnouts over Atlas. I don't use either, but I have friends that I visit on Missouri on a regular basis who have a few very large layouts and they all prefer Peco over Atlas. One guys layout is all code 83 and he had some Atlas turnouts in his layout mainly because he couldn't get a hold of Peco at a certain stage of construction and ended up tearing out the Atlas Turnouts a few years later and replacing them with Peco when they became available again.

I would definitely consider Peco turnouts over Atlas. I don't use either, but I have friends that I visit on Missouri on a regular basis who have a few very large layouts and they all prefer Peco over Atlas. One guys layout is all code 83 and he had some Atlas turnouts in his layout mainly because he couldn't get a hold of Peco at a certain stage of construction and ended up tearing out the Atlas Turnouts a few years later and replacing them with Peco when they became available again.

This is another 'get what you pay for' situation. That seems to be the case, you want quality, you gotta pay. Peco it will have to be, why skimp now if I don't have to. There will be enough headaches coming my way as it is.

Good morning ....

Storming here with flash flood warnings.

My layout has both Atlas and Peco turnouts. It is easier to wire power to all rails with Atlas turnouts in my opinion. Usually, Atlas turnouts are more affordable too. In most cases, I have Caboose Industries ground throws. .... If I need switch machines, the Peco turnouts with Peco switch machines are very reliable as are the turnouts themselves. I save that for hard-to-reach locations on the layout. ... Also, Peco curved turnoutss are good to use in certain locations.... I use code 100 track

Good lookin out there E, a neighbor like y'all is hard to find!

I suppose I'm just "wired" that way. Guess I get that from Dad and his Dad. When Grandpa had his grocery store he never turned away someone because they couldn't pay. Same went for Dad when he had his pharmacies.
Lord only knows how much both wrote off as "bad debts".
No doubt Grandpa has his seat with God and Dad's seat will be waiting when his time comes.

E.

yay! Just got email that my order of trees just shipped.
Of course, they're coming from mainland China so I probably won't see them for another week.
Well... I just got another email requesting the database on a software project I did 6 or 7 years ago. I still have it I know. Just have to find it.
E.

I suppose I'm just "wired" that way. Guess I get that from Dad and his Dad. When Grandpa had his grocery store he never turned away someone because they couldn't pay. Same went for Dad when he had his pharmacies.
Lord only knows how much both wrote off as "bad debts".
No doubt Grandpa has his seat with God and Dad's seat will be waiting when his time comes.

E.

Let the circle be unbroken, I was also well trained, by MEN! Opening doors for Ladies and generally perpetuating the stereotype of the 'Gentleman' is something I'm pleased and privileged to do. I may be 'old timey' but it works for me. I use slang that was old before I was born! Keeps em on their toes! (WHAT did he say???) LOL Times may change but good manners DON'T! We can only learn what we are exposed to, being lucky in having been raised by those who LEAD BY EXAMPLE is rarer and rarer nowadays.

Back