Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

yay! Just got email that my order of trees just shipped.
Of course, they're coming from mainland China so I probably won't see them for another week.
Well... I just got another email requesting the database on a software project I did 6 or 7 years ago. I still have it I know. Just have to find it.
E.

He, HEEE, good times action mode, staring at my box of flex I JUST got and chomping at the bit for the old lady to get back with the van so I can go shopping! Any body have any experience with painting on the foam insulation boards, will paint hold on them?

Let the circle be unbroken, I was also well trained, by MEN! Opening doors for Ladies and generally perpetuating the stereotype of the 'Gentleman' is something I'm pleased and privileged to do. I may be 'old timey' but it works for me. I use slang that was old before I was born! Keeps em on their toes! (WHAT did he say???) LOL Times may change but good manners DON'T! We can only learn what we are exposed to, being lucky in having been raised by those who LEAD BY EXAMPLE is rarer and rarer nowadays.

Sir and Ma'am are a regular staple around these parts. You are right though, it is becoming rarer these days. Here's an even rarer one for ya: when I went back home to bury my Mother a few years ago, my Uncle Jim ('Nam vet) and Uncle Greg took me to a party one evening. A couple came walking up (friends of theirs) and when the Lady walked in I stood up and removed my "cover" without a thought. I was the only one that did that and she spotted me right off saying to not do that on her account. I just said "I'm from the South and that's just what you do."
E

He, HEEE, good times action mode, staring at my box of flex I JUST got and chomping at the bit for the old lady to get back with the van so I can go shopping! Any body have any experience with painting on the foam insulation boards, will paint hold on them?

I don't know about that. Are you putting down foam on your decking? I asked about doing that before I got too permanent about things and was told to not bother. That was coming from my buddy (cjcrescent who posts here once in a while) while he was here in person the first time when he helped resolve my track issues.
As to painting your foam though, I imagine some regular old wall paint would be fine. it would soak into the pores. Don't use a rattle-can. Whatever they use these days to pressurize them makes the foam melt.
But don't do like I did and paint it white. Use some sort of neutral earth tone color. I only used it because that's all I had laying around. Worse yet it was using high-gloss trim paint and the glues for ground/dirt covering doesn't like it.
Lessons learned the hard way!
Sure experience is the best teacher but it sure doesn't hurt one little bit to learn from someone else's mistake(s).

Smoke break is over Trooper. Go get busy!!

I'm still at a loss about what to do between my yard line spurs.
Green grass cover wouldn't make sense. I'm sick of looking at GA red clay. Beach sand doesn't have the right look.
May be just the "excuse" I need to get an airbrush again. Nah... not yet. I'm still thin on groceries.
E.

Sir and Ma'am are a regular staple around these parts. You are right though, it is becoming rarer these days. Here's an even rarer one for ya: when I went back home to bury my Mother a few years ago, my Uncle Jim ('Nam vet) and Uncle Greg took me to a party one evening. A couple came walking up (friends of theirs) and when the Lady walked in I stood up and removed my "cover" without a thought. I was the only one that did that and she spotted me right off saying to not do that on her account. I just said "I'm from the South and that's just what you do."
E

I was born Scots/Irish/Polish/French in Detroit but also I have WIDE streak of 'Native Ancestry' from the Lake Huron shore tribes, (Potowottamii/Ojibaway) LOL, but I do have a strong 'Southern Sympathy'! (States RIGHTS!!!)(ahem!) Where was I? OH!, LOL! I like the attitude down there, we have it in the SMALL towns up here but not in the cities at all! I was lucky to be raised in farm country, I'm much happier hip deep in the woods and fields than on any kind of pavement! Trying to keep the field-craft alive in the family but nobody wants to go hunting anymore! Suddenly, I AM the 'older generation' and it's a drag when the young ones have they faces stuck in a phone and don't want to take the time to learn how to take care of themselves!

Eric, for the yard tracks, put down ballast, with some "weeds" in between.
NFG, if you are going to paint the foam, try using latex. Many oil-based paints will attack the foam.

I don't know about that. Are you putting down foam on your decking? I asked about doing that before I got too permanent about things and was told to not bother. That was coming from my buddy (cjcrescent who posts here once in a while) while he was here in person the first time when he helped resolve my track issues.
As to painting your foam though, I imagine some regular old wall paint would be fine. it would soak into the pores. Don't use a rattle-can. Whatever they use these days to pressurize them makes the foam melt.
But don't do like I did and paint it white. Use some sort of neutral earth tone color. I only used it because that's all I had laying around. Worse yet it was using high-gloss trim paint and the glues for ground/dirt covering doesn't like it.
Lessons learned the hard way!
Sure experience is the best teacher but it sure doesn't hurt one little bit to learn from someone else's mistake(s).

Smoke break is over Trooper. Go get busy!!

I'm still at a loss about what to do between my yard line spurs.
Green grass cover wouldn't make sense. I'm sick of looking at GA red clay. Beach sand doesn't have the right look.
May be just the "excuse" I need to get an airbrush again. Nah... not yet. I'm still thin on groceries.
E.

No spray paint, getting all paint from 'oops' dept at Despot, got satin(whew) no gloss, will avoid gloss. Finding excellent earth type tones at the despot and menards 5-9 bucks a can!

Where IS she with that van???

Eric, for the yard tracks, put down ballast, with some "weeds" in between.
NFG, if you are going to paint the foam, try using latex. Many oil-based paints will attack the foam.

Terry, I was thinking to use ballast. Would it be "acceptable" to use the same ballast I used on the track?
I have the fine size ballast on the track now. Seems to me it should be something smaller so as to look like gravel or "road-pack" or "crush-and-run".
Should I take out that red-clay sh..t first? I'm thinking maybe so.
Do you have link for some "weeds"?
E.

It is great some of you knew exactly who I was talking about when I mentioned John Allen.
Upon some further searching I found a book documenting that famous railroad he/they built.
Geees.... over $200 for a little over a hundred pages. I don't think so.
From what I found he was the one that started the whole thing about weathering and such.
Apparently he was a most excellent scenery guy of the 1st order.
E

I go with Terrys idea. In this yard I used "burnt grass" fine turf between the yard tracks.

0021.jpg

I go with Terrys idea. In this yard I used "burnt grass" fine turf between the yard tracks.

Ok Chet, I'm good with that. Something that looks like crab-grass all burnt up from a summer drought would suit me just fine.
Do you have a link for some?
You have a lot of yellow going on there with those locos and cars so it's hard for me to tell.
I'm thinking something like dried straw type coloring.
I suppose I could just go search Woodland's site and see what they have.
Problem is that just like the [F]NG, I get all stary eyed and start ordering all manner of stuff.

E.
PS: new signature is now up...

Ok Chet, I'm good with that. Something that looks like crab-grass all burnt up from a summer drought would suit me just fine.
Do you have a link for some?
You have a lot of yellow going on there with those locos and cars so it's hard for me to tell.
I'm thinking something like dried straw type coloring.
I suppose I could just go search Woodland's site and see what they have.
Problem is that just like the [F]NG, I get all stary eyed and start ordering all manner of stuff.

E.
PS: new signature is now up...

Starry eyed? LOL WAY past THAT! I've gone "walk into the wall" STOOPID!!! on this!!Just got back from the 'hobby shop', TWO packs of washers was all they had, that and some coupler bits, the rollers were outrageous on price! So I only got 5! LOL

E--I like the lighter stuff better.

The burnt grass that I have doesn't look anything like the picture, either they changed the formula or mine has seriously faded over the years. Mine is more like light green and light brown and came in a small baggie.

Starry eyed? LOL WAY past THAT! I've gone "walk into the wall" STOOPID!!! on this!!Just got back from the 'hobby shop', TWO packs of washers was all they had, that and some coupler bits, the rollers were outrageous on price! So I only got 5! LOL

Brother, you do need to hook up with the folks at MB Klein ( modelrailroadstuff.com).
If you have a question or can't find something, call them. They are mighty happy to help. Same goes for the NCE staff.

I'm fixing to order a little stuff form MBK right in fact. Their shipping prices are a little IMHO so I wait until I have several things before I order. Now that I say, I may to order some more steel wheels. I still have a few cars to make operational.
E.

That's what I do BigE. I keep a list of items that I want and keep adding to it until I have a decent size order to help offset the shipping. I have been dealing with them for a number of years now and they are great to work with. I usually have my orders delivered out here in Montana within 5 work days.

Back