Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mom just rushed me off the phone. "Ok, the ball game is coming on. I'll talk to you later, I love you." She said. "Enjoy the game, I love you to Mom"
😁 I'm so glad.the birds are playing well. It's always more fun when your team wins!

My Mom is still keeping score of every Orioles game. She uses a steno pads. I offered to buy her score books. "No, what do I need that for, this works!" She has I don't know how many years of these pads. I will cherish them when she finally goes to heaven. I hope that is years away.

She is 90 years old and as sharp as ever. Thank God.

Afternoon All,

Took about 30 minutes to get my computer to boot up.:( Started out with some chores then headed to the train room. I painted the walls then assembled the bottom framework that the deck sits work. It's kind of complecated with the parts only working one way but initially they appear to work two different ways. This made me have to redo several parts but I finally got them right. Luckily the breakage was able to be repaired.:rolleyes: I have it under weight now.

The directions say build the walls and roof on the very thin deck then glue it on the frame which to me seems backwards so I glued the deck on the frame today. I was concerned how fragile the building will be and didn't trust to do it later. I forgot to take a picture today.

TomO- I was going to suggest springs but I guess that's old news by now.

Gary- Neat photo. We don't have deer around me but we get the dreaded snow bird who's destinctive call is "that's not how we do it in (pick state/city)." They are a invasive species.

Terry- Sorry to hear about your electronics.

Willie- I feel for you. I've done one and it was enough.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Truckers would have to tarp those!
As an ex truck driver, coils like those mentioned were not covered, as they would be taken to the buyers factory for final processing, they would be offloaded into a open storage area till required, anything from 2/3 days to possibly months, depending on orders recieved and the manufacturing rate for whatever they produced.

I frequently took similar loads to East Germany, where the factory produced various types of automotive springs.

Seven hours with the plumber and his partner/wife. Turned out to be a more complex job, including them digging a 18" x 36" x 24" deep hole and cutting the sewer line for another clean out port. Apparently my hydro-jetting just jammed everything in one end of the line and then stalled, which I mistook for having cleaned it out. The "big snake" just wasn't long enough. They were able to snake backwards from the old cleanout to the bathrooms OK. So I came out OK, $650 for seven hours of Sunday work (two people) when I only called him at 5:00 pm Saturday!!!:):):) He knows that I pay cash so I get special service. I like this guy.

Good evening gang!

Finally made it downstairs this afternoon.

Got a late start due to yesterdays activities. What was a 2 car garage was actually a 1 car garage with no back yard access (you could barely see the door) and no access to the side windows to open them. By the end of the day the door was opened, fans were is the windows and I can almost get the other S10 in the garage.
Last night was "gun bingo" at the local VFD. None of us won guns, but I did win $100.00 on pull tabs and SWMBO won $300.00 on some scratch off something kinda card game. The boys (son#3 and his neighbor) won nothing but had a great time. Since It was BYOB, there was a large amount of Copper Mug Mules and Twisted tea consumed. Because of that I didn't get up til 10 this morning. Knocked out the lawn and some other outdoor chores and then sat down to watch the NASCAR race (Yeah Harvick!) Then dinner .

Willie, sounds like a pretty crappy day for a Sunday!💩 On the other hand, the charge was a bargain considering what was done.

Appliances. We are victims of planned obsolescence. Look at older appliances, cooling fins were more robust, wiring was a heavier gauge, hinges were heavier, switches sturdier, and even the metal they were constructed of was thicker. To this day they can still build a 50 year refrigerator, but why? Because they don't want to wait 50 years to sell you another. Also we want the latest and greatest right, not something from the last century! SWMBO wanted a new fridge last spring, we got it. The old fridge is still in service in the garage keeping ice frozen and soda and beer cold. Betcha it outlasts the new one!

Terry, sorry to hear of your stuff getting zapped. Would a renters insurance policy help here??

Gary, lots of deer around here. Usually we see one doe with her young hanging out in a neighbors back yard about 2 houses down from us 2-3 times a week. No surprise though as the subdivisions original name was "Deer Park" with street names like Antler Drive, Fawn Way and Doe Drive. They are like squirrels here in number, until the "season" is upon us and the whole county turns into a war zone with everyone gunning for an 8 point buck. Sadly, the last one I bagged I did with a pickup truck.

Ranger 001.jpg

Amazingly, the bug shield was stronger that the hood of the truck!

tail end.jpg

I haven't posted in a while. Too busy with projects around the house. The chimney needed 8 courses of bricks removed and replaced. An extremely difficult job. I had to buy a chipping gun to remove the old bricks and fill. Get that off the roof and bring 120 new bricks & mortar up the ladder 6 bricks at a time. I knew a mason from the golf course to lay the bricks. That was $300.00 I did all the rest That included forming out a new concrete cap. I added a drip edge with some 1/4 X 1/4 inch molding glued to the form. I had to go up and down that ladder 50 times or more. On another project I bought one of those 7 X 7 Rubbermaid sheds. Not that easy to put together but got it done. I thought the plastic walls were kind of flimsy so I decided to frame the thing out with 2 X 4's.
George

Chimmey_01.JPG
Shed_01.JPG

On a motorway near us there is an ‘American’ restaurant I had this with a tomato sauce maybe Heinz and French’s mustard, it was tasty.

I have an issue with chicken places as when I was younger my dad was friendly with the health department and those big fat fryers had a bad habit of getting kamikaze rats, and the health department would warn the other departments, so I inspect my ‘chicken’ carefully. I also know if a burger place e.g MacDonalds had icecream milkshakes off the menu it was usually because the machine was mouldy, so I love them but again view them suspiciously and have had a bad tummy afterwards.
I make homemade milkshakes with real fruit,bananas a favourite, but since the diet began last year, they are harder to justify, have just found a nice icecream recipe which I plan to rest.
I used to eat burgers in buns, but a homemade burger or two and fried onions and/or mushrooms plus French’s mustard and heinz tomato sauce is way yummier.
KFC is dodgy,but I have eaten it many times over the years and enjoy it, yum yum, fries are rubbish,and I used to buy the bbq ribs which disappeared from the Uk donkeys years ago.
I have showed this picture several times, but it is worth a repeat the best desserts I have ever seen or tasted, I seriously doubt you have had better,fortunately or unfortunately this place is over a hundred miles from me, or I would be the size of a pregnant porker…grins….View attachment 149527View attachment 149528View attachment 149529View attachment 149530View attachment 149531View attachment 149532View attachment 149533View attachment 149534View attachment 149535View attachment 149536
STOP<STOP & STOP! You're killing me here.

I can't figure out where to go to start a new thread. I have a old solid metal 4-6-2 steamer mad by TYCO and the draw bar is broken. can I get a new one somewhere or make one and what should it be made from? What kind of metal? Don't know how old this loco is but they don't make 'em
100_0032.JPG
like this anymore. Good runner too.
100_0031.JPG

I can't figure out where to go to start a new thread. I have a old solid metal 4-6-2 steamer mad by TYCO and the draw bar is broken. can I get a new one somewhere or make one and what should it be made from? What kind of metal? Don't know how old this loco is but they don't make 'em View attachment 150178like this anymore. Good runner too.View attachment 150177
ebay is your friend here, https://www.ebay.com/itm/325238980143?hash=item4bb9c0fe2f:g:YWkAAOSwcaNhwTRb

I can't figure out where to go to start a new thread. I have a old solid metal 4-6-2 steamer mad by TYCO and the draw bar is broken. can I get a new one somewhere or make one and what should it be made from? What kind of metal? Don't know how old this loco is but they don't make 'em View attachment 150178like this anymore. Good runner too.View attachment 150177
Simple thing is to cut a1/2 inch piece from a steel tin can about 2 inches long; double it over with pliers.
Use the old draw bar as a pattern to cut out another bar, drill your holes and screw in the new bar into place.
Takes less time than ordering from the internet.

Holy Crap!

I just won the last missing piece of my Union Pacific Heritage locos tonight! UP/DRGW #1989! I am stoked!

I will get it this week! It has a few upgrades on it. The guy I bought it from put all the LEDs on it and ESU sound etc. Here are some pics he sent me. It cost me 300 but it is worth it. I didn't want the new release coming out as it has the changes in paint scheme etc....

278552829_493156829168774_5051299480716562814_n.jpg278761431_703562454404242_5932206913752742665_n.jpg298387709_778525593279030_463217756699071355_n.jpg299017600_1248497975909118_3308940151096087281_n.jpg

Simple thing is to cut a1/2 inch piece from a steel tin can about 2 inches long; double it over with pliers.
Use the old draw bar as a pattern to cut out another bar, drill your holes and screw in the new bar into place.
Takes less time than ordering from the internet.
I was an Mantua repairman and have this to say. Above all things, DO NOT use any metal to make a draw bar. They are available on ebay

Seven hours with the plumber and his partner/wife. Turned out to be a more complex job, including them digging a 18" x 36" x 24" deep hole and cutting the sewer line for another clean out port. Apparently my hydro-jetting just jammed everything in one end of the line and then stalled, which I mistook for having cleaned it out. The "big snake" just wasn't long enough. They were able to snake backwards from the old cleanout to the bathrooms OK. So I came out OK, $650 for seven hours of Sunday work (two people) when I only called him at 5:00 pm Saturday!!!:):):) He knows that I pay cash so I get special service. I like this guy.
Willie, that worked out great!
That is an amazing price. Cash is worth about 12% max, if you include time, effort and all costs. I think they like you and why wouldn't they.

Morning all,

78° and clear, going for a high today of 103°.

No trains yesterday as I barely got everything done that I needed to get done. Can't wait to retire and get even busier. I thought it was supposed to get easier when you get older and didn't have the kids...even busier and no help! I need more kids. 🤣

Headed off to work in a bit.

BBL

Good morning all! 68 with a little rain in the area heading for mostly cloudy and 80. Supposed to be pretty humid today. Fortunately, unless my plans get interrupted I should be about to stay indoors in the main campus building where I have plenty of work to finish before the semester starts.

Did pretty much nothing useful yesterday. I did play around some with my other hobby, flight simulation. I use the X-Plane flight simulator and made a couple flights on the VATSIM network. X-Plane runs fairly well on my very old computer, though not as well as I would like. I'd love to do an upgrade but the money needs to go elsewhere for now. I built that computer 13 or so years ago and it's still running.

Nothing much else to report. Hope you all have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back