Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

Play Age of Vikings.
Lots of dice rolling, cursing, and adult brewskis can be had at such a game.
Troy - Cursing as a 2nd language is the only one that fits; I don't roll dice or brewski. So, I opt out of the game.

TomO - My first attempt to make those coils would be to wrap grey/silver thread around a pencil or suitable dowel, and gently shellac the wrapping. If the thread was wrapped the length of the pencil and shellac hardened, I might be able to cut the coils proper width with a No.11 blade. Just a thought; I've not tried it.

Need to concern myself with mobilizing for another fence build this morning. My son will take up the afternoon with a visit.
Sorry, no photo today.

Have a good one!

OK, I may be on to something... Try the local ACE/HD/TSCO/Lowes and look at the springs. I am thinking of a few that I have on hand.
Give me an approximate size?

Something like this

I am thinking that a carburetor throttle spring (it's fine) on a lawnmower?
The one attached to the governor.
I can check out the spring coils at the shop that fixes the equipment on the property. Good idea, thanks

Well, howdy there, Internet People searching for springs, and the new headwaters of the Thames...

It's troy again.

Freshly oatmealed up. Better bring me a plate of bacon, FLO.

Not sure what's on the agenda for today. Wife hasn't told me yet.

I've had to shift back to wearing long pants for a few days. Slight chance of rain today, then a mild week. View attachment 150152I feel an early morning nap coming on. Chat at you after that.
Normally when it hits the 60’s in Wisconsin the shorts are still fine. Around 11 yesterday morning I needed to put on the jeans. It was a sad moment

Good morning everyone,
Coffee and bagel please Flo. Rainy morning here in Halifax this morning, will get down to model my city building today after chores. First have to keep the young buck out of the yard today. He was enjoying wild apple tree dessert this morning.

View attachment 150154
They are beautiful animals but they were very destructive to the garden and landscaping in our yard in North Central Wi. We have them on the property down here but they have way too many corn fields to go play in.

The aggravating animals down here are the Canadian geese who seem to think we are the way station for their travels. ICE has no desire to be checking their travel visas.

Good Morning!

Troy - Cursing as a 2nd language is the only one that fits; I don't roll dice or brewski. So, I opt out of the game.

TomO - My first attempt to make those coils would be to wrap grey/silver thread around a pencil or suitable dowel, and gently shellac the wrapping. If the thread was wrapped the length of the pencil and shellac hardened, I might be able to cut the coils proper width with a No.11 blade. Just a thought; I've not tried it.

Need to concern myself with mobilizing for another fence build this morning. My son will take up the afternoon with a visit.
Sorry, no photo today.

Have a good one!
Thank you Guy. A good idea that is definitely worth experimentation.

Fence, has the cost of material come down since your last one?

They are beautiful animals but they were very destructive to the garden and landscaping in our yard in North Central Wi. We have them on the property down here but they have way too many corn fields to go play in.

The aggravating animals down here are the Canadian geese who seem to think we are the way station for their travels. ICE has no desire to be checking their travel visas.
You are right, some towns here now are finding ways for groups to harvest the nuisance deer here now, and out west I think they are trying to sterilize the geese as they are very destructive here as well.

Good Morning from out here. Today is forecast to do this:
Sunny and hot. Afternoon breezes , high near 98°F .

Pollen level is rated "low-medium".

Francine - I see that you are back in the workplace! Did you have a nice vacation? You went on a cruise, you say? Did you happen to see TROY on your ship - I hear that his wife likes cruises? I know that mine does - why I don't know? I get terribly bored about the third day as I have explored the ship from bow to stern and sitting looking at water does not turn me on!
If MEL is here today, have him rustle up one of his "everything" omelets for me with home fries and sourdough toast, PATY!

I have to make a run to Wallyworld in about an hour ... last evening I decided that I would use the "pickup" service because of lots of drinks, water, and other more heavy items - the parking lot has a slight uphill lean to it and pushing a loaded cart up it is not fun.

I got nothing else at the moment - need to see what everyone is talking bout before I get in trouble?
BBL

Hello fellow modelers. This wonderful Sunday morning is at least dry where all yesterday was a misty mess of a weather day. I have not checked any of the rain gathering devices so no idea of accumulation.

Franni, a waffle, 4 strips of bacon, ok 8 is the normal order in the diner!, I’ll take the 8. Sugar free syrup and a diet caffeine free Pepsi as I have had my daily Diet Dr Pepper that has caffeine. TY.

What a great 3 days since Terry has been watching the “NEWS” with sound via her Bluetooth app into her hearing aids. She knows when she needs to do that for me, this is one of those time periods. I don’t hear the babble but occasionally from Terry I hear, oh geez, or the best one, bullish..
It is the same way she watches her Packers play in meaningless preseason games

I do however know what’s going on in the world and this country. I just try to block out the incessant babble of the news media. I do Not sit down to watch the evening news or even the local news programming. I can get the information from both sides via the internet if I want. I did a couple weeks ago though delete the National news apps I was using from the IPadPro. Besides, Terry always has ABCNews on or one of the other “news” channels on if I decide to watch and listen.

trains, I did feel silly asking for help with my steel coil request. But, that is what is done here, help out the fellow modelers. So far I have gotten some good advice and guidance. Comment here or on the my thread in Painting, detailing and Weathering forum

The workbench was cleaned up as I moved from weathering freight cars to inspection. I did get 40 cars inspected the other day for couplers and wheelsets. Yesterday, I put all 76 cars in the fleet on the scale after asking permission from the spouse to use her digital food scale. I have 2 scales I have used for years but after comparing analog verus digital there was a difference and of course the digital readout! Not earth shaking but what the heck I needed another reason to do some retail therapy. I keep Terry’s, St, Vincent DePaul gets 2 analog scales and Terry gets a better digital scale. Today is adding pennies as weight to the 28 cars that are under weight. 11 need new couplers and all cars now have steel wheelsets. I now have a spread sheet that I am recording the inspection details on. I was hit and miss before and it was in a handwritten notebook. I sent a copy to the computer guru of the family and some pictures to add to it. I can’t figure out how to add a picture. It should also help the family dispose of the items should the time come, especially if the LHS owner stops buying estates as he says he might.

After “this week” on ABC is over I believe we will venture out to the Farmers Market and then maybe have breakfast out. Mel’s diner food just never seems filling enough

enjoy the day

All that matters to what I said is their budget. Numbers tell the story.
No one will argue that Philadelphia is anything but a big market...but for years, the Phillies were a low budget team, with expected results and always a hope for a better next year. When ownership changed, in the late 70s, results changed, and by the 80s, they were a high budget team and competitive, if not contender.

Baltimore or DC + Baltimore are considered small markets, because of the size of the core, although the Capitals market penetration reaches at least to the Tennessee - Virginia border, and both the O's and the Nats, (Ravens and the Washington Football Team), reach into South Central Pennsylvania.

When it comes to sports, market size is determined by Neilsen ratings, but team spending is determined by the amount of money the ownership is willing to spend on talent, hence Budget.

It remains to be seen how long or successful the Orioles will be, as their draft built talent reach free agency eligibility. Will the notoriously cheap owners pay to retain their home grown talent, or just be content to be a development team, supplying talent for the big spenders?

Good morning. It's clear and 70.
It appears a thunderstorm the other day zapped some electronics at the house. Because why not? The victims include my desktop computer, monitor, and printer, and my new bedroom television. The computer and peripherals were on a surge protector, the TV was not.
And of course the 1987 fridge continues to soldier on, like nothing ever happened...

Good Morning All. Clear here and just 73°, quite pleasant outside. Still not supposed to get over 99° today.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood yesterday. High of only 97°, pool at 85° and just a slight breeze. I had to do some mowing and weed-eating, primarily to stay ahead of last week's rain.

Not sure of the agenda today other than the plumber will be by soon to [hopefully] clear the sewer line. I plunged for over a half hour yesterday to no avail. These damn low-flush toilets are a real pain. He's bringing the "big snake" and working backwards from the clean-out pipe. I already hydro-jetted from there to the septic tank, so that's not where the problem is.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding the progress in the current project area; Tom O, OB Ken, Patrick, Sherrel, Hughie, Gary, Karl, Curt, Louis, Chet, Chad, Guy, Smudge.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was a slow but productive day. I cut fence posts for a chain link fence around the gas station to the right of the coffee distributor. Then I drilled holes for them and installed all 21 of them, along with braces.
IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

Today I will start the agonizing process of gluing the top rail on all of those posts. Unless I get frustrated and make the fence without one. I did a bit more landscaping over by the Industrial Supply business, but not enough to photograph yet.

Sherrel -
At the present time - I have it figured that if I can talk 5 of you into pitching in 40K EACH that I can purchase the place and give you a .025% ownership based on a purchase price of 1.6 MIL - anyone interested?
I see several possibilities for layout rooms.
Tom O -
Normally when it hits the 60’s in Wisconsin the shorts are still fine.
Same here, which means shorts from beginning of March until mid-December.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all! 73 headed for 83 with a heat index of 91. Pretty cloudy out right now and rained during the night, but no more rain expected today. Nothing to report really. Just hoping for a relaxing day here at home before going back for another busy week at work. The Fall semester starts Thursday and I still have some projects to get finished up before then. Should get everything done but we'll see.

Since the Fall semester starts Thursday that means MY Fall semester classes start then. I'm taking two classes this semester and then one in the Spring. If I complete them all I will be able to walk across the graduation stage next May with an Associates Degree. I've always regretted not finishing college so I'm doing it now. Gonna be a rough Fall and Spring doing that while working full-time but I'm going to make myself get it done.

Hope you all have a great day!

And of course the 1987 fridge continues to soldier on, like nothing ever happened...
My wife wants to replace our early 90's fridge even though it works. She just doesn't like the looks! A well regarded serviceman has advised against that, saying that the newer models have a 5-7 year lifespan at best, which is also something that I have read quite often. I have replaced the icemaker apparatus twice myself and as long as it's available, I intend to keep it.

My wife wants to replace our early 90's fridge even though it works. She just doesn't like the looks! A well regarded serviceman has advised against that, saying that the newer models have a 5-7 year lifespan at best, which is also something that I have read quite often. I have replaced the icemaker apparatus twice myself and as long as it's available, I intend to keep it.
5-7 year life span and some wonder why the world isn’t effectively going green.

No one will argue that Philadelphia is anything but a big market...but for years, the Phillies were a low budget team, with expected results and always a hope for a better next year. When ownership changed, in the late 70s, results changed, and by the 80s, they were a high budget team and competitive, if not contender.

Baltimore or DC + Baltimore are considered small markets, because of the size of the core, although the Capitals market penetration reaches at least to the Tennessee - Virginia border, and both the O's and the Nats, (Ravens and the Washington Football Team), reach into South Central Pennsylvania.

When it comes to sports, market size is determined by Neilsen ratings, but team spending is determined by the amount of money the ownership is willing to spend on talent, hence Budget.

It remains to be seen how long or successful the Orioles will be, as their draft built talent reach free agency eligibility. Will the notoriously cheap owners pay to retain their home grown talent, or just be content to be a development team, supplying talent for the big spenders?
As usual, you nailed it, It is all about the budgets set by the owner.
Albert Bell made Peter Angelos go to the cheap side. "Once bitten, twice shy". The courts will decide which of his sons takes over.
Even the Yankees trimmed their payroll a few years ago. The Redsox did as well.
The Dodgers live in la la land, literally.

Huge payrolls don't guarantee anything. You don't even need a top ten payroll. World Champion teams like Atlanta (2021), Houston (2017), and Kansas (2015) prove that. Cleveland is in the lower third in salaries, but they are on top of the AL Central. Tampa is also in this lower third in salaries, they are in a wild card spot. Milwaukee and Minnesota are in the hunt and they both have payrolls below that league average.

My Orioles have the lowest payroll in all of Major League Baseball and they are in the playoff hunt!

Many teams are very selective as to who gets the big money. Over 30 is an age that worries teams, it's not new. The Orioles got Frank Robinson because the Reds thought he was getting old.

I fully expect and hope the Orioles will keep trading stars. In fact, I doubt they will keep them through their arbitration years. As long as the birds get value in those trades. The Orioles have invested heavily in scouting and finally embraced analytics.

Personally I don't like analytics or that geeks that spout them. However, analytics are vital to modern GMs. We lost Buck because he would not embrace analytics, he has now. Earl Weaver was a pioneer of analytics with his index cards. As a fan I can follow the game my way.

I don't expect the Orioles to make the playoffs this year. I only hope my birds keep improving and stay competitive. In a year or two, who knows? Anything can happen in a short series, I'm thinking 1966. Please don't mention what happened in 1969. Although it does prove my point. As does 1983! 😁

The big money Padres and Soto left 12 men on base. The Nats won 4-3! I'm loving it!

Thanks Boris, I always enjoy your posts!

Last edited:
So far no train time, but getting other things done.

As much as I'd like a new kitchen stove, this old one keeps plugging along, and our fridge is a 1998 model, and like Willie, I keep putting a new water valve in the ice maker and keep plugging along. I think I replace them about every 5-6 years. Sometimes I think the basic appliances last longer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back