Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 79° to get the day going here. As I posted yesterday, it finally made it to 100° this summer. The now emboldened weatherman has gone out on a limb and predicted 104° today and 106° for tomorrow. we'll see.
Busy day planned today, dental appointment for teeth cleaning at 0800 and then it's off to do the grocery/beer trek from there. Dollar General, drugstore and the Vitamin Shop are also on the itinerary. Spent a good bit of time yesterday fixing a five year old's toys. My daughter had previously told her that Grandpa could fix anything, so she gathered up a box of her broken toys and brought them along with her for her stay. Mom didn't realize that she had stashed them into her suitcase. I didn't disappoint.:D Mostly Aleene's tacky glue, but one required a very small Allen wrench. Earlier in the day I attacked a tree stump in the yard with the chainsaw, which then became a fun science project for us when we counted the rings. My son and I planted it in 1992; he had brought a sapling home from school as part of an Arbor Day program at the time. But we were only able to discern 24 rings. The center ones were just too close for the naked eye. Some kind of Ash Borer had decimated it over the last three years.

Just a BLT sandwich for me this morning Flo. I don't need sausage bits and ground pepper in my teeth for my appointment.

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the additional museum pictures yesterday; Louis, Guy, Patrick, Garry, Jerome, Sherrel, Chad, Tom O, Karl, Curt, Tom, Phil.

After clearing the toys off the workbench in the train shed, I went to work modeling. Painted the truck parking pad at the piggyback ramp and added some more ground cover between it and the two existing industries to the south. I solved my fencing dilemma when I remembered some fence material from a different Walther's kit that I wasn't using. Exact same sprues. I really wanted to use my Bar Mills Insta-Fence for the tenement side of the tracks instead of using it around the ramps, because it is a whole lot easier to remove whole or partial boards from it than with the plastic Walther's fence.
Regarding the switch causing the derailing, it is definitely a case of the point rail not completely closing. I didn't do anything about it yesterday because it would have meant leaning into the layout over the freshly painted parking pad. Gosh knows that I already have numerous shirts with painted bellies!
Continuing with the tour of the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum pictures, let's go outside for these.
They have two G scale layouts that are operational, but not yet finished. First is a Thomas layout.
09-27-19 trip 024.JPG

The second is more elaborate.
09-27-19 trip 025.JPG

09-27-19 trip 028.JPG

Then there are the two ride 'em railroads. The first has an engineer and goes all over an acre of terrain.
09-27-19 trip 026.JPG

09-27-19 trip 029.JPG

The other is a self propelled one.
09-27-19 trip 050.JPG

There's a third track loop with the colored ties but that's the only view I have of it.
Tomorrow is the Lego layouts, yes plural!

Guy - I like all of the photos that you posted yesterday.
Willie - I like that N-scale layout you've shown us, and I can appreciate the work that went into it; but, it is still a so-so layout, isn't it? Looks like a layout that would be great for children to play with.
They are a museum and not a club. All of the layouts except for one of the HO layouts are built for display and not operations. They have two each of G scale, HO scale, O scale, N scale and Lego. Many of them have on/off panels for kids to run trains in a loop. On our last visit, they were constructing a rather large building out back for expansion, but they were tight-lipped regarding what was going into it. One popular attraction, and a major money maker for them is the event center primarily for kid birthday parties. Railroad themed cakes and party favors. I understand from their website that they are expanding across the street as well.
Garry -
Willie .... The MS layout looks very interesting.
See above response to Guy.
I know that you like to travel, perhaps this could be a destination. It's not quite 500 miles from Nashville, and if you take a side trip through Jackson MS, there's another great museum there as well. Just south of Jackson in Richland MS, there's also a great BBQ joint with genuine Texas BBQ as well as pulled pork from that area.

Everybody have a great day. It's National Filet Mignon Day, as well as National Left-Handers Day. Try eating your steak with your left hand!

Good Morning, Everyone!
It's 50F this morning, right on the button, and the wife wants to go blueberry picking early with her friends. That means I'll have to go to act as bear watch. The girls can't see them coming with their heads down while picking, and those big, bulky bears are surprisingly quiet. I don't worry much about the black bear, but, the grizzly deserves more caution.
These two grizzlies came by without incident last year, when we were picking. They were more interested in the berries than us, but, I wouldn't want to piss them off by getting in their way:

2019Grizzly_edit.jpg

I'd still rather have grizzlies than snakes. They just seem more safe to me.

Sherrel - I was up earlier today, as well. It was the train whistle from down the hill that woke me. The CN boys must have been moving around very early this morning.
Willie - That looks like a fine museum. I'll bet the upkeep is a pile of work.
Boris - No daily historical railway photo today!! I suspect you have a headache.

I didn't get anything done on the market yesterday, and likely won't get to it today with berry picking in the way. It's staring at me from my bench, though. It's saying fix me, fix me. The reference is to the sloppy white interior paint. I had better mask and spray to fix that up, even if one can't see it. Otherwise, the crappy job will prey on the core of my soul. - Perhaps, this coming weekend.

Here is another photo of the Whitecourt CN yard from yesterday:
CN 5704_CN 2152_CN 5326  08-12-2020.jpg

And, one more
CN 5326_5287  08-12-2020.jpg

See how close those SD40's are to the downtown area, with no fence. I just don't feel like I'm trespassing when I go down there to take photos.

Have a good one, everyone!

I'm Impressed, GUY -- those bears would certainly get my attention!
That is a fab photo - how far away were you?
I like the train photos as well. Your a pretty good photographer from what I have seen.
With your short summers, the "market" can wait -- keep those photos coming -- you can work on the layout when the snow is coming down sideways! :eek:

Good Morning Gents,
Getting ready for the hottest week of the year coming. Should be in triple digits all week with lows in the mid 70s. Been seeking some shelter in the train room more than usual and yesterday I started experimenting with washes for mortor joints. I know a few of you have a recipe you might share? I have some DPM structures I got in a junk box at a yard sale so Im working on those before I tackle the Middlesex Manufacturing building.. Also setting up the ramp area depicting the one I used to unload Cat equipment onto in the Guadalupe, Ca. yard. Today is Thursday, so it's Tool Time here in our rural neighborhood. Every Thurs at 3pm, 3-10 of us all walk or ride our mowers to a different shop/garage/shade tree for a few beers and discuss the events of the week. We, like here, try to keep politics out of our discussions, but it's not easy.. Been doing this for 2 years now and it's a great unwinder and we have over $100 in our dues/fine jar. Good Day to all.
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg

I'm Impressed, GUY -- those bears would certainly get my attention!
That is a fab photo - how far away were you?
I like the train photos as well. Your a pretty good photographer from what I have seen.
With your short summers, the "market" can wait -- keep those photos coming -- you can work on the layout when the snow is coming down sideways! :eek:
Sherrel - That photo was taken at roughly 100yds distance. However, when they first came upon our group, they came to within 20' before anyone noticed; they are very quiet with those big padded paws. That was the time we decided to have a dedicated bear watch from then on.

Well we had a bad storm Monday evening, for reference we had a tornado just miss IRM which is 20 minutes away from me. Seems like the house across the street, the one which had the foundation collapse, had shingle damage. A mom and daughter live there and I do not believe they will notice anything. Owner of the house redid the roof a few years back and he did a poor job. Should have paid someone to do it for him. We did not suffer any damage.
On the layout, I have a bunch of Lifelike F3s, all dcc have tried to speed match with limited success, same decoders same brand. One runs fast the next one runs slow. Sigh.
Mike

I just picked up what for me is the holy grail of Lionel Christmas cars; The extremely rare 1985 Lionel Employee Christmas Boxcar.
1597338447226.png

Only a few hundred of these were made. In mint condition with the original box they are valued at $1800.

If a collector is lucky enough to find one in mint condition, with the original box and with the letter that accompanied the boxcar from Lionel the sky is the limit.

I have yet to find a mint condition sample in the original box, but I am exceptionally happy to find one in excellent condition. I paid a little over $500 for it, but I would have gone as high as $1000, I am incredibly happy to say the least!

Mine will not be a collector’s item, it will be running under the Christmas tree in my family room. I have Christmas box car to commemorate the year of birth for every child, grandchild, and pet. For the last 8 years I have had to use a Lionel 1985 anniversary boxcar for 1985, but no more!

Afternoon All,

Spent the day working on the RH/TT build :mad:. I got the RH floor correct placement and glued down, got the track the way it should be, powered the RH tracks without issue (but a pain), started to test and I keep getting an intermittent bridge power failure almost like the loco shorts on the bridge. I did change the power supply for the control box which seemed to not be working this morning. It will probably turn out to be something in my wiring. I left a message with a local friend (DCC/ Digitrax GURU) and hopefully he will set me straight. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated right now.

Louis- Great photos. Congratulations on the box car. That's a freight train anyone can model.

Sherrel- You're too kind.

Guy- Thank you. Beautiful bears but dangerous if you aren't careful.

Joe- Stay safe. It sounds like the numbers are expanding rapidly in NJ.

Willie- I have the same T-shirt issues. Nice museum photos.

Dave- Sounds like a fun time. I like the flat car loads.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening, y'all. Light rain all day, just enough to keep things wet and miserable.

I had quite a workout at Physical Therapy. I'm down to my last six sessions, and am very close to meeting my goals. I imagine the remainder of the time will be building strength. Worst issue right now is stiffness after sitting, and stamina.

I worked on my Reading GP30, installing the TCS T-1 decoder, and test running it on the layout. Runs nicely and quietly. After a quick lube, I'm going to reattach the shell and railings, fuel tank and couplers etc. and place it in service. The T-1 is already shielded, so I don't have to tape it.

Last night, I caught the last of the ninth of the Orioles - Phillies game, on Philadelphia Channel 10, the only Philly station I get over the air. The Philly ballpark, looked hokey with all the cutout fans in the lower bowl. To my surprise, the Birds held on to win 5-4in regulation. Haven't caught a Mets game on Ch 11 yet, I'm not sure if there are going to be many over the air telecasts this year.

Joe- Stay safe. It sounds like the numbers are expanding rapidly in NJ.

Curt: Thanks, I have noticed quite a rise in cases especially locally. While, I suspect some of this is inflated, the reality is that too many people are not following basic common sense. That is not wearing masks, or not wearing them properly, as intended. And it's not due to ack of availability, either. I picked up a box of 50, yesterday at Costco, for about the same cost as 10 at Shoprite a couple of weeks ago. irony here is while the consensus is the bar and restaurant crowd over at the shore, Governour "Knucklehead" Murphy, is blaming church attendance and religious gatherings. I was in Lowes, twice this week, and the number of careless customers and employees was astounding. Note to self, avoid that store.

Guy: Nice photos...Back in my younger days, I was in Sullivan County Pennsylvania, and the (then) wife and I went to pick blueberrys. We had an encounter with a black bear, that claimed the patch as his or hers. Haven't even considered doing that again. I sort of ran out of photos, sorry :rolleyes:.
Watching any of the hockey Playoffs?

Louis: Nice Photos. Love the Packard.

Dave and Willie:
Nice work, great photos.

Sherrel: Hope your better half is doing better.

MP15 # 2775 @ Pottsville PA 8-13-75.jpg

Reading 2775 a MP15 at Pottsville, PA on 8-13-1975. The Freight station, in the background, is also the passenger ticket office and waiting room. Pottsville is the home of author John O'Hara, and most importantly the Yuengling Brewery, founded in 1829.

Guy: Watching any of the hockey Playoffs?

No I'm not, Boris! Rarely, do I ever sit in front of a TV tube and watch people trying to sell me stuff in between brief spells of game play. Besides, the playoffs come at a time that cuts into my wife's forceful annual pilgrimage into the bear infested forest to collect fruits-n-nuts for sustenance, followed by a strictly enforced jam and pie building detail.
WildFruit_08-13-2020.jpg

Thanks for asking, though.

Morning all,

Supposed to be sunny and 94* today with feels like to 102*. We supposedly have a cold front moving in dropping the humidity and temps to the mid-80's most of the next week. Just dropping the humidity some would be nice. Currently dark and 71*.

Wife has training tomorrow, so I'll probably mow then. It supposed to be cooler and I can get at it earlier. Maybe some train time as I have to get back on that model.

Boris: After 11 years since the first and 10 years after the revision, I still get stiff when I sit too long. When I drive any distance, I'm good for the first 3 hours of the day and then have to stop and stretch every 2 hours. If I don't I can't hardly get the knee functioning as quick as I'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back