Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone. Mostly clear skies and 70°. Only supposed to reach 90° today after yesterday's high of only 92°. Continued Fall-like weather here. I guess that the global warming is staying out at Sherrel's house!
I did manage to get part of the yard mowed after the dew finally dried yesterday. All of the south part and about half of the east side, maybe 3/4 acre in total. I'll finish the east side this morning and venture into the north side around the train shed, pool and pond.
I am getting good use out of my "spider stick" right now. It's a piece of 1" x 2" x 36" that I wave in front of me when I first venture into parts of the yard, garden and out to the train shed and pool each day. Removes their webs only to be rebuilt every night.

Looks like that hurricane spared most folks in Florida. That's good news for fellow forum members. Now watch out all of you East Coast guys. These things can be quite unpredictable.

A handful of bacon and a toasted whole wheat English Muffin should do it for me this morning Flo. We ate Aussie food last night at Outback.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress report and sunrise shots; Guy, Phil, Sherrel, Chad, Joe, Justin, Jerome, Karl, Curt, Louis, Tom O, Tom, James, Patrick.

A short day in the train shed yesterday due to church, mowing and going out to eat. Hate it when life interferes with trains! I painted the roof of the office structure for the piggyback yard. I need to find some details to add to it.
08-01-20 003.JPG

I dug out the yard tractor that I intend to use in this scene.
08-03-20 001.JPG

It's an Athearn model and is quite detailed, but the cab interior (quite detailed as well) is glued into place so I cannot readily add a driver to the inside.:(
Did a test laying of the track and as suspected the 89' flatcars need #6 switches. I would like to have used #4's to add additional length to the tracks, but no way. Here's two tracks in place; there will be three altogether when done.
08-03-20 002.JPG

Hoping to get to infrastructure stuff today, either painting the backdrop or cutting and inserting the front section into the layout. Then up comes the track (unfastened right now) and paint the ground earth color. Walther's includes some fencing with this kit, but only 30". I am pondering over what to do about that.

Sherrel -
Another tossing and turning night - can't seem to get my bladder to co-operate at night.
I count it as a good night when I can go three hours between breaks! Last night I went five hours before the first one and was in heaven as a result!
Prayers and positive thoughts from me and Arlene continue for Kate. Things will improve.
Guy - One gets used to the days of 100°+ temperatures, at least I have. Moved to Texas 60 years ago and I cannot fathom going back North to endless snow and below freezing weather. In my locale, there are on average, only six days a year that the temperature doesn't rise above freezing. I judge it by whether or not I have to put on socks or not. Last winter I needed them only two days! So far this summer has been mostly Fall like weather.
Good start to the market.
Joe -
The sweep was purchased five years ago...nothing like being timely.
Wait! I resemble that statement!
Chet - I am like you when it comes to identifying Amtrak engines. The RDC looks lonely running there!;)
Curt - Elmer's has worked for me through three layouts over thirty years or so. Nice to see trackwork progress.

Today is some kind of holiday for some of our fellow forum members in Canada. Seems to be better known as "hit or miss" holiday as some celebrate and some don''t!

Y'all have a great day, another week begins. Stay safe and stay apart.

Morning all. Happy Monday. Got myself out of the modeling funk this weekend. I did a couple of smallish projects. I finished the SP 10-6 blunt end sleeper. It now has an interior and a working oscillating rear light. Man what a PITA that interior was! There won't be many of those. Tinted windows and shades or blinds for most of them. Next up will be the last passenger car for a while: The SP 3/4 dome. That one gets an interior too, and no Walthers interior this time! It has to be scratched. I've also been selling off a bunch of Santa Fe brass, and I had one that took a few hits in shipping. I had to replace the rotted out neoprene tubing between the motor, re-solder the pilot to the pilot deck, and do a few other misc. repairs like loose piping & such. I lubed up the bearings in the motor and she ran. Reasonably quiet too. This is an early run (early 1960's). It has a blind center driver from the factory, and is weighted well. It should pull the plaster off the walls. I may blast the boiler & tender & clear coat them before selling it. It looks rough (most of this early brass does after 50-60 years in the box), but it's all there! It'll clean up just fine.

IMG_2863 (2).JPG

IMG_2864 (2).JPG

Good Morning, modelling hobby gang!!! And it is indeed a lovely morning!
Supposed to be a way more manageable temperature today, possibly not exceeding 72F. Which is just fine.
Yesterday was a real cooker. Forced me to set up the too far north to buy a real A/C unit into the doorway of my hobby room.
IMG_9230.JPG

Willie - Yep, it's a holiday up here in the very warm great white. I don't know what the celebration is, though. Let's just call it 'Civil Servant and Bankers' day off.
Sherrel - When a wife says 'don't come', it means darn well get your butt over there and visit. Wives always have something to talk about. And for gods sake, don't forget the flowers. - I truly do hope the wife's condition improves in a hurry.
Karl - I actually like the JD lawn-tractor idea. Proves that where there's a hillbilly will, there's a hillbilly way.
TomO - What happened to the wonderful steam engine photo in you're last post? Saw it there, and then it was gone. Or am I seeing things.
Garry - Your Zephyr post caused me to go on a Google learning mission. Today, I'm a smarter person.
Alan - You look like the kind of guy that really knows what he's doing. Mostly, I just take shots in the dark. - I really like that brass engine, and hope you'll show photos as you do the rehab work.

I got to throwing more paint on the BlueTop Market, yesterday. I'm trying an idea I saw on a video to help make brick walls stand out more naturally. It takes a-lot of time to paint individual bricks in 1/87, but, one does get good at it with practice. There is lots of practice on a single wall.
Not sure how it will work out in the end. It's just paint, though, so it can be stripped if it's a bad idea:
BlueTop_08-02-2020 (1).JPG

There are 4 colors on the wall in that photo, all Humbrol enamel. Tan base, then individual bricks in red-brown, brick-red, and extra dark sea-grey.
Since that photo was taken, I've added the color 'wood' to the party. I was worried that a dullcoat would destroy any effect, so I'm trying for a greater contrast.
Next step is to gloss coat it, and add a sludge wash of Tamiya Desert Yellow for the mortar lines.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!!!

Morning folks: Supposed to be 93 today (about the same as yesterday) then drop to 89 tomorrow - then down to 84 Wednesday. What gives, after all this is August?

Willie - Have a cure for your truck. Take your trusty dremel tool with a cutoff disk and open one of those doors. You can even make the driver climbing into the cab with the door part open - that would look cool. I have a box full of dentist discards that are great for doing stuff like that -want some?

GUY - Thanks ... normally I would agree with you, however, I could tell the way she sounded that she really did not want company. She even told the youngest daughter (who called her after being told to NOT disturb) that she didn't want to talk to anyone! By the end of visitation last night, I could tell that she was starting to feel a little better and she was even able to keep down some broth which she said was very good. Today I am going to think positive thoughts that her BP will stay at a lower amount and that she will be paroled!

BTW - I like what you are doing with the brick - sort of looks like a building that caught the measles - or was attacked by a swarm of those Canadian Northern mosquitos - I know from experience! :eek::rolleyes:😂

ALAN - What is that UP paint doing on an SP car - or did you misdecal it?
Anyway .. nice looking car. The 2-10-2 is a brute ...

OK .. better get moving and pick up the homestead in prep for the Queen's arrival later! Have a wonderful week everyone.

ALAN - What is that UP paint doing on an SP car - or did you misdecal it?
Anyway .. nice looking car. The 2-10-2 is a brute ...

The "City of..." trains which were operated jointly by the UP, SP, and C&NW (later C&NW opted out and The Milwaukee Road took over) all had to be in the Yellow & Gray scheme even though all three railroads owned the cars (at least those which weren't owned by Pullman). Shame on you for even thinking I would mis-decal! ;)

Good morning. Got warm again yesterday getting up into the low 90's again. When my son and his wife came over for dinner, he brought up the window air conditioner for our bedroom window. Didn't use it at all last year, but our poor little doxie just doesn't deal with the heat well now that she's getting old. Made quite a difference. Cooled the bedroom down to near meat locker temps. Walked out of the room to grab a beer and it was like walking into an oven. Wasn't bad in the rest of the house until you felt the difference. The dog loved the cooler temps.

Willie - I gathered my old MR magazines together a couple of years ago when were were doing renovations and filled three boxes. Good photos.

Karl - I could probably use that John Deer mower. The lawn does need mowing but it has just been too hot out.

Curt - You sure are making progress in the layout. Looking good.

Joe - You are correct. RDC's are never boring. Glad that I was just running it alone and not a long train with all of the mishaps that happened Saturday. The guy who decided to cross over to the other main line and run in the opposite direction with a 50 plus car train also had a derailment running through the tunnel into the room with the Gardner scene. They had to bore a hole through 24" of concrete to run between rooms and that's where he has a problem. All of the other traffic just moved over to the other main line while he foraged for a missing freight car.

Dave - Good photos. I'm lucky with my layout being in the basement where it cooler.

Ray - You have me scratching my head trying to figure out where that MRL train is with the rock loads.

Alan - The sleeper is looking good. I gave up working on interiors with my eyesight deteriorating for close up work. Like the brass locomotive.

Sherrel
- Hope everything goes well for the home coming.

Back to the archives again for a photo.

20180630_200142.jpg

Later

Good Morning, modelling hobby gang!!! And it is indeed a lovely morning!
Supposed to be a way more manageable temperature today, possibly not exceeding 72F. Which is just fine.
Yesterday was a real cooker. Forced me to set up the too far north to buy a real A/C unit into the doorway of my hobby room.
View attachment 115854
TomO - What happened to the wonderful steam engine photo in you're last post? Saw it there, and then it was gone. Or am I seeing things.

I got to throwing more paint on the BlueTop Market, yesterday. I'm trying an idea I saw on a video to help make brick walls stand out more naturally. It takes a-lot of time to paint individual bricks in 1/87, but, one does get good at it with practice. There is lots of practice on a single wall.
Not sure how it will work out in the end. It's just paint, though, so it can be stripped if it's a bad idea:

A somewhat funny story. My wife looked at my posting and asked why I didn’t use OUR picture of 4014. Told her I did, she says nope OUR picture was the fireman side of the BigBoy. So, the picture I posted isn’t OUR picture and 1. No idea where our picture went 2. No idea who’s picture it was I posted, so I think it came off of Rrpictures.net. 3. I never post a picture without credit if I didn’t take it.
“OUR” picture is funny as Terry was with when I was scouting for picture spots and then decided to come see all the excitement of picture day. So now 4014 pictures of that day in the summer of 2019 are OURS.

This picture is from Friesland, Wi. and a 45 minute stop for the Big Boy. It was a fun morning that my wife enjoyed with me.

TomO
E791E4C9-9304-4926-B042-A30607FF7CCB.jpeg

Last edited:
Alan - You look like the kind of guy that really knows what he's doing. Mostly, I just take shots in the dark. - I really like that brass engine, and hope you'll show photos as you do the rehab work.

Thanks. We all start at the same place though. :) Actually the repairs are all done. I was just going to take it to my guy who handles my e-Bay stuff, but it's been sitting on my desk and I've been looking at it all morning in between work tasks. I'm thinking it 's maybe a a bit too ugly to put on e-Bay as is. It's for sure a diamond in the rough, and anyone with the skills can make a damned fine looking model out of it. I have another one of these things that's in pieces. The original owner took it apart to paint it and somehow never got around to the painting part. I may paint the pair of them and e-Bay one. If I do that, I'll probably re-motor them as well. It'd bring a better price that way. Hmmm... Decisions decisions!

Oh, PS: If you are interested in these projects search my posts. I've done more than a few step-by-step rehabs of brass steamers and passenger cars, mostly here in the coffee shop!

Good morning from the Central time zone. So. Wisconsin today is ugly, with some raindrops coming down every now and then from super overcast skies. Too cool and windy on either the south facing deck or north facing porch. Not much going on and no modeling planned but I am thinking of increasing the herd by ordering a couple more MP15AC’s from Athearn Genesis. The below picture is of pulp sticks being loaded into the hopper for chipping. It is break time as the operator is not in the cab. Have a great day. TomO
AB8526C0-FC47-487E-8755-ADF6EB5F33DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone....some what overcast this morning here in this part of Wisconsin.

Came home yesterday from the cab after two nights. I did stain the walkway from the deck to the pumphouse and several areas under the sedum that grew over the decking was a bit moist so I'll stain them after day. Cathy raked pine needles and burned the bulk of them in the fire pit. It was nice working in the cooler air and have the smell of the pine burning.

We drove home on the back roads to avoid the rain and weekend traffic on Interstate 41. It took an extra 2 hrs to travel an extra 10 miles on the back roads.

Last week I test ran a G38-2 and it would stop and start over curves and turnouts. Originally it had a broke truck pickup wire which I re-soldered and it ran fine, but now its acting up. I disassembled the unit and tested it on my programming track on the work bench and everything appeared and ran normal. Reassembled and it still acted up. After maybe three times to dissemble the unit I found one of the front motor leads under the weight. Apparently, the wire was interfering with the truck from rotating freely. Once the wire was free it ran fine. Simple fit to a simple common problem.

I'll test the locomotive on the layout later today.

Still looking for a way to clean track. I will avoid using alcohol after reading that it leaves a residue and I like ACT6006, but I can't find any modelers who use this product and I can get their opinions on the product. I have a box car with a Masonite pad that I'll continue to use, just like John Allen used.

I made several charges on a credit card that is just for internet purchases. When the monthly statement arrived it had a charge for over $74 from an unknown company that I know I didn't make a purchase. A call to the credit card company and my card number was voided and they would check into my account. The next day I received a email from the credit card company that my account would credited the $74 and an new card and monthly statement was in the works. Great service. It's funny that two of the purchases were from model railroad suppliers that I never used and found on the web. Maybe just a thought.....?

Chet: I'm hooked on the RDC that I purchased from Rapido. The sound from the unit as you know is short of so realistic and the startup of the two diesel motors does impress those who never seen the model. I bet yours looks great in the mountains of your club layout.

I have a missing track cleaning car on the layout. I suspect its in the tunnel where I can't see the bugger.

Allen: Again as always great modeling on your UP MILW SP C&NW ala Southern Pacific 10 - 6 sleeper with all kidding aside, it looks great.

McLeod: Painting some of the individual bricks the various colors looks great and its a small touch that adds a lot of interest to a structure. Ever try Robert's Brick Mortar for the mortar lines. You rub the mortar on wet and rub the excesss off the brick and let it dry. The a final wiping and you're done. It dries to a light gray color, but a bit of black wash darkens the mortar. I purchase it from Southsidetrains.com a small but excellent shop in Milwaukee, WI.

Willie: I would love to be where there's mild winters. My coldest day (night) in this part of Wisconsin was -34 degrees below zero and I picked up a friend to go drinking at a bar we hadn't visited. The furnace for the tavern couldn't keep up so it was below freezing in the place and the beer lines, water and toilets were all frozen. We had to drink only mixed drinks and the bartender used soda from a cooler to keep the cans of soda from freezing. I started my car every 15 minutes to warm it up the engine. Surprisingly, the vehicle after sitting overnight it started in the morning.

The dumbest thing I ever did was bow hunt deer in the late season and the temperature was a -20 below zero, but no wind. (I used to work in extreme cold weather while in college so the cold weather while hunting didn't bother me too much, but I was in a wooded swamp miles off the main road on an old logging road - dumb choice of locations in such cold weather.)

Lunch time and then down to the trains.

Greg

#############################

Wis con with junk metal.jpg

Last edited:
McLeod: Painting some of the individual bricks the various colors looks great and its a small touch that adds a lot of interest to a structure. Ever try Robert's Brick Mortar for the mortar lines. You rub the mortar on wet and rub the excesss off the brick and let it dry. The a final wiping and you're done. It dries to a light gray color, but a bit of black wash darkens the mortar. I purchase it from Southsidetrains.com a small but excellent shop in Milwaukee, WI.
Thanks for the heads up, Greg. I will look into the Brick Mortar. Too late for this building; perhaps something for future, though. Thank you.

Oh No! It's starting to look like I'm playing with the button!

Just wanted to post my progress because I think we are going fishing tomorrow; very early in the morning.
Did some detailing using enamel, so there is some dry time needed before I can clear-coat in preparation for the sludge wash. Just placed some parts in there so I can kinda see what it all going to look like.
BlueTop_08-03-2020.JPG

Last post today; I promise.

Have a good one!

Bye-the-way, thanks for the photo explanation, TomO!

Oh No! It's starting to look like I'm playing with the button!
Just wanted to post my progress because I think we are going fishing tomorrow; very early in the morning.
Last post today; I promise.

Catch a bunch if you go. I haven't been fishing in over 20 years. My fishing tackle (along with the house) was involved in a flood and by the time I had rebuilt enough to have time to go through my stuff, my reels and equipment couldn't be salvaged. I got dad's fishing stuff when he and mom moved to an apartment from the lake house they were renting. Dad's wheelchair bound and can't really get out as he's mom's caretaker (she's got dementia). Dad will be 81 and mom will be 84 in a couple of weeks. I haven't even opened it up, but I know it was some expensive fishing gear when bought it.

I belong to a large fishing club that stocks at least 8 area lakes and haven't missed a meeting in maybe 9 years since I joined. But, I haven't fished for muskies in over 30 years and muskie fishing is my joy and once my passion.

Not to brag, but in a four day weekend I caught 16 muskies of various sizes all close to legal or legal. I had a old muskie river fisherman teach me the secrets of muskie river fishing and to his knowledge I owe my success. He missed a trophy fish that failed to take his lure, but followed the lure to the boat and then the fish actually tried to get my lure as I retrieved my lure it from the water. The fish jumped out of the water and the fish and and I were eye to eye. We both estimated the fish at approximately 50 or more inches in length.

My wife has her muskie mounted in the Packer Room. She caught the fish on a spinning rod with 6 pound test line while fishing for walleyes.

McLeod, good luck on your fishing trip.

Greg

####################

1596488569618.png

This fellow caught this bass at our club's annual ice fishery, our main fund raiser for the club. I believe we have over 700 members and usually 100 members show up at our two annual membership meetings.-Greg

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Today I sanded the glued down cork roadbed, added the cork for the initial 2 T/O's. I verified everything was level and then sanded down the cork for the transition from the second turnout to plywood. Made a trip to Lowes for paint then painted the plywood for the engine area. Tomorrow probably no modeling because of a outdoor project.

Joe- I guess you would call that a life lesson :).

Sherrel- Thank you. Hopefully Kate will be coming home tonight or tomorrow.

Louis- I'm ready for the temps in that picture.

Dave- Nice layout pictures.

Patrick- Nice little layout.

Willie- That's going to be a great looking facility when it comes together.

Alan- Nice looking railcar and loco.

Guy- Sounds like you have holidays like we do. Very nice brickwork.

Chet- Thank you. Nice layout picture.

TomO- That's a huge loco. Nice layout scene.

Greg- Nice crane photo.

20200803_143556.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well good afternoon everyone! I've been a busy bee the last couple of days and haven't had the time for modeling or to check in here! Glad to see everyone seems to be doing well! I'll try my best to individually comment on everything, but please don't feel bad if I leave you out. Everyone has just so much wonderful things to share!

McLeod: That building is looking phenomenal. I like the different colored bricks. It adds a nice touch of realistic aesthetic that I enjoy!

Greg: It's amazing what small things cause big issues for locomotive operations sometimes. Happy you fixed it! Also glad to hear that you got your money back from those fraud purchases. Interesting they were from Model Railroad suppliers. It does make you wonder if one of the shops you legitimately bought something from isn't being too honest about their customer's information.

TomO: That's a great shot of 4014! Makes me dream back to the fun summer I had last year, before COVID took over.

Alan: Those are some fine looking models. I'd love to see a video of that rear light on that sleeper!

Willie: Nice looking yard structure! I look forward to seeing it be detailed, and to see what you do with the truck in the scene!

Patrick: I'm officially jealous of your Grandson's layout! That looks like one heck of a fun time to operate!

As for me, I finally called it quits on stripping the paint on the GP9. This little thing has put up more of a fight than any model I've done previously! Still, I'm content with how much paint I got off of it, and the remainder isn't going to obscure much detail when I recoat it. Now the fun can begin. Adding in the funny little details like the floating number plates and the winterization hatch!
IMG_3673.JPG

Time to sit back, grab a beer, and hopefully watch SpaceX's test article Starship take to the skies for a 150m hop!

Bunker: The source of the fraud was a small country in east south Africa with a population of under one million. Apparently the transaction was computer generated at 12:00 AM.

In the past we have had our credit card info used fro fraudulent purchases. One we know was likely an employee of a small company near our cabin and the card information was send to someone in Chicago who used the card info for a purchase and the card company's computers spotted the transaction. A real hassle.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back