Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. The granddaughter has returned home. When grandma is home I’m not needed unless it involves the pools. No swimming today so I spent an unusual Sunday in the train room.

I got lots accomplished both programming diesels and weathering freight cars. I also played mail room staff. After getting an ok to ship out some weathered models early I double checked I had them packaged and labeled. I did and now they are in the car for the post office tomorrow morning!!! Yea…

I did check the grass and it’s seems much dryer but I’m not in the mood to cut it. Tomorrow after the dew dries!

The son was in Houston with the girl friend at HER PARENTS place. He told me it was interesting. Found out the g/f’s brother lives near us here in Verona. Said her dad is retired Air Force and flew the B52’s. Retired from FedEx who he flew for 15 years and just retired. The son said he had to hold in the laughter when her dad was talking about his apartment rentals. When asked if he knew anything about apartment rentals he brought up Terry and I did well with rentals. When I said you have rentals in Austin you should have just mentioned those. He said the g/f doesn’t know about the rentals or his other businesses, just that he flies private jets…

Hunks with Trucks were hired after they gave us the quote for moving this afternoon. So basically everything for the move is handled. I just have current projects to pack up in the trainroom and Terry will move whatever business files she keeps here. We are getting there…

Afternoon all,

I'll catch up from page 38 in a bit.

I got another day trip destination off my Buc-ee's list today. Drove 3.5 hours east to the one in Springfield, MO and spent a couple of hours in that place. Jerky is good, BBQ isn't too bad. Had better and had a lot worse. ot a place I feel the need to make another day trip to see, but would stop again if I were close to one. Sampled a bunch. Food we got generally good, and we tried many different things we could try and brought the grandkids t-shirts. Fun Outing. Tomorrow I have to finish painting the bedroom and closet in the basement. It has had it's first coat. Grandson was a big help.

Now to work off the extra calories and get the legs working again.

Last edited:
Georgia Train Wreck Update. I see a video on Youtube today about the Georgia train accident. Someone here said they seen a signal truck in the previous video. The truck was there because they were doing single work, and the signals were out for that segment of track. There was switch tender there to make sure a switch was aligned for the main and not a siding which a stone train had taken access to. The train that did the ramming had orders from the tower to proceed and that the switch was thrown back to the correct position, but it was not. They said the speed for this kind of order was 49 MPH. When the engineer saw this, he dumped the air, but it was too late the other train was just in the clear of the switch. When we use to go to the book of rules every year, they would tell us the most probable cause of a train accident is miss commutation.
Swal

One rule model Railroader's ignore.
When you are coming on to the main from a siding on your model RR and you throw the switch to proceed you really have to wait 5 minutes.

The 5-minute switch rule is a safety practice in railroad operations. When a train or engine intends to enter a specific territory, it must wait for five minutes after the switch has been lined for that movement. This waiting period allows sufficient time to “establish block signal protection,” which means clearing two blocks to prevent red signals from unexpectedly activating.

Swal

Many ibuprofen later, I'm still sore.

Well, howdy there internet peoples, and those who don't ache

Daughter posted a photo, and wife admitted she had a finished photo. I was so tuckered out yesterday, I didn't get one.

Here's the room post flooring install...

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 12.37.26 PM.png

The tile "apron" was done by a previous owner. It helped sell us on the place. But, 5 cats and a dog took their toll on the cheap carpeting in that room.

And again with furniture returned:

439221348_10228054354398551_1558764232022659205_n-1.jpg

I think the best way to cover up the slighty non-flush butt joints between the floor and the tile at the angled cuts will be adding a 1/4in flat trim strip. Quarter round will cover all the wall terminations. That's where most of the slop is. And I'll do the 1/4in flat strip around the fireplace. Brown caulk can fill in the gaps between the stone and trim strips.

if you've got a better suggestion, please let me know.

OK, time for another cocktail. I was thinking mai tais tonight. not sure if I have everything. I'll check.

Many ibuprofen later, I'm still sore.

Well, howdy there internet peoples, and those who don't ache

Daughter posted a photo, and wife admitted she had a finished photo. I was so tuckered out yesterday, I didn't get one.

Here's the room post flooring install...

View attachment 186338
The tile "apron" was done by a previous owner. It helped sell us on the place. But, 5 cats and a dog took their toll on the cheap carpeting in that room.

And again with furniture returned:

View attachment 186339

I think the best way to cover up the slighty non-flush butt joints between the floor and the tile at the angled cuts will be adding a 1/4in flat trim strip. Quarter round will cover all the wall terminations. That's where most of the slop is. And I'll do the 1/4in flat strip around the fireplace. Brown caulk can fill in the gaps between the stone and trim strips.

if you've got a better suggestion, please let me know.

OK, time for another cocktail. I was thinking mai tais tonight. not sure if I have everything. I'll check.
You mean like this trim Troy. When I changed the living room floor to match the rest of the house. I used this 1/4 trim around the fireplace.
Swal

Fire_Place_Trim.jpg

Good afternoon gang!

Work day is over, plus the mower and the rototiller have been vanquished, and it's not even dinner time! :) Tomorrow we already have a HD trip planned for seeds and plants, plus some Sharkbite® fittings so that I can replace the main shower valve and some fence boards so we can construct a little corral to house the roll away trashcans. A bad wind keeps dropping them in the flower beds.

Best at what? Murder rates?, incarcerations per capita? Just this week 5 high school kids were shot on "Sr. cut day", traditionally a day for high school seniors to cut school, aka play hookey together. It was a day for fun now 5 kids got shot, 1 is critical. Baltimore doesn't have warts,, it has cancer. City leadership is abysmal, the cops don't even want to stay there. They need to put a 1/2 mile high chain link fence with razor wire on it, pull the good folks out (yes, there are some) and let the inmates have the asylum.

Louis, come join us in the county, the quiet at night is unnerving at 1st, but you get used to it!

end of my rant!
View attachment 186260
BBL
Nice Cabin Car...Not for nothing, after 39 years in Jersey, Baltimore is a breath of Fresh air. If the homeboys want to kill one another, that's their problem, along with the people that pander to them. Have you ever been to Newark? Trenton? Camden? Yeah, you're better off in the country, and I' probably too old to relocate, unless it's close to family....but there are worse places than Baltimore City.

A few days off, took the opportunity in the now rare British Spring sunshine to drag out a couple of my 'plank' layouts and try a bit of photography:
20240422_103146.jpg

This is Barons Ridge, a 2020/2021 Lockdown era project, a little bit of rural backwater. Giving serious consideration to a slightly larger Barons Ridge II.

As a photographic backdrop it does work well:
20240422_102415.jpg

20240422_102144.jpg

The other plank I dragged out is my locomotive Depot one, Corsana Ridge, a maintenance depot for my fictional CWRR shortline:
20240422_094344.jpg

Occasionally the CWRR hosts heritage units!!
20240422_094217.jpg

Both planks suffer from a bit of storage damage, a little dust and backdrops that are a bit low for photography without getting my garden hedge or the wife's washing line in the background!

Time to put the kettle on and have a think about a new plank...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back