Running Bear's April 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you located? That is pretty high up but I bet beautiful

TomO

Old coal mining town of 500 souls in the foothills of the Rockies. When the warm weather comes, the cold air rushes down from the 14,000 footers to fill the low pressure areas left. It can get pretty windy at times, mostly in the spring. When I lived outside Colorado sprigs, the wind down off of Pike's Peak - over 80 mph - broke my living room wall!

Never underestimate Mother nature. Beautiful country up ere, though, and lots of historic remnants of narrow gauge and the old mines.

They were hunting both deer and wild pigs and told by the Game Warden that they could be charged with a felony crime.

Greg

Greg please send your game warden 70 miles west to Dane County. Our property is posted and that means very little around here. They cut chains on gates they put ladders over barb wire fencing all seen with license plate numbers on trail cams and drones. Unless caught in the act, too bad for us.

The one we caught and the sheriff arrested for trespassing actually turned into a pissing match with the DNR as he was duck hunting out of season. The reason he got caught was we spotted his duck blind in the swamp. Called theDNR, they weren’t interested. Told the sheriff what we had, didn’t really care. The drone then found where his pickup was parked inside a “broken” gate. The SIL had a truck load of good size rocks almost boulders and used the backhoe to surround the pick up truck. Then the sheriff was interested.

Nothing like up in North Central Wisconsin where they respected no trespass signage.

TomO

They were hunting both deer and wild pigs and told by the Game Warden that they could be charged with a felony crime.

Greg

The felony is not necessarily because they were trespassing , it probably because they're on someone else's property with a gun in their hand.

At the least they're there to poach , and at the worst they're there to commit capital murder . The state can charge them with either one at its own whim .

Nothing like up in North Central Wisconsin where they respected no trespass signage.
It doesn't really get you much in Texas either , thats why most people don't bother.

Howdy .....

Jaz .... I like the scene with so many people .

Willie ..... Your city scene looks great with the building under construction.

It will be very noisy here tomorrow. ...... We are getting a new roof.

51098085248_cd79bbac45_k.jpg

Have a good night, everybody.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's currently 59*F and calm under partly cloudy skies in my neighborhood.

Haven't really had time to de-compress from the busy Easter weekend; and it didn't help that MOH planted bowls of chocolate candies that I couldn't resist snacking on throughout Sunday - got a nasty headache from that. I didn't have today off like I normally would after other major "feast" holidays, so I decided I'd just plunk myself into my recliner after supper and read the May issue of TRAINS magazine which appeared in my mailbox this afternoon. This month focuses on preservation/restoration, which normally doesn't excite me since I'm not a steam modeler - but I noticed an article about a tourist line in northwest Wisconsin named the "Wisconsin Great Northern" which rosters several rebuilt F7 units and other diesels, and runs a B&B train. They also have an article about the resurrected East Broad Top, which is in my back yard (well...sort-of) so I had to check that out as well. Left me with little time to participate in here.

Been admiring all the photos being shared on here, both model and prototype. With Chet dismantling his layout for the buyer [so glad it's going to a good home and not a landfill!], it kinda looks like Jaz has assumed the role as Chief Poster of layout photos.

Not much else to report on, so I guess I'll just slip back outta here...

Good evening Shop Dwellers! It's currently 59*F and calm under partly cloudy skies in my neighborhood.

Haven't really had time to de-compress from the busy Easter weekend; and it didn't help that MOH planted bowls of chocolate candies that I couldn't resist snacking on throughout Sunday - got a nasty headache from that. I didn't have today off like I normally would after other major "feast" holidays, so I decided I'd just plunk myself into my recliner after supper and read the May issue of TRAINS magazine which appeared in my mailbox this afternoon. This month focuses on preservation/restoration, which normally doesn't excite me since I'm not a steam modeler - but I noticed an article about a tourist line in northwest Wisconsin named the "Wisconsin Great Northern" which rosters several rebuilt F7 units and other diesels, and runs a B&B train. They also have an article about the resurrected East Broad Top, which is in my back yard (well...sort-of) so I had to check that out as well. Left me with little time to participate in here.

Been admiring all the photos being shared on here, both model and prototype. With Chet dismantling his layout for the buyer [so glad it's going to a good home and not a landfill!], it kinda looks like Jaz has assumed the role as Chief Poster of layout photos.

Not much else to report on, so I guess I'll just slip back outta here...
IF Chet takes a good bunch of pictures he could continue posting them,many of my pictures are years old,the reference has value,and one should be proud of old layout,at least his has a home,we just tore our old stuff out,it sits unloved in the loft,I know loads of diorama people who do small areas then sell so they have room,and finance the new.
Anyway your stuck with UK from me, luckily the how to is almost identical and we get loads of US products over here :)

We have motorbikes here but scooters are still popular from the 60s
CBB09D32-4789-4E6A-8FB2-DBD821FCB518.jpeg

there are superb 3D motorbikes nowadays but the prices make your eyes water I have old metal ones
B2E242F4-3D72-46C6-8122-20992F30A996.jpeg

60EE28A2-CF98-4A41-AEDC-C57E4F0A43E0.jpeg
BBE3698A-1005-4450-B8B2-EE5071C6BFC4.jpeg

1945AEDE-3692-45E0-A274-59D868DD0850.jpeg

and the Calor gas bottles writing does not need to be perfect just have the broad strokes

Good morning gang!

50° and clear, heading to a balmy 72° later! Started looking at the grandsons 4 wheeler last night. Found the year and model # and identified a few issues straight away. This sent me to the basement, online I found the shop manual. The download was a paltry $3.95. I'll print it out today at work, and will revisit it later in the week.

Tonight, taxes. 🤔😢😖

20200402_181559.jpg
20190621_185510.jpg
received_919935828195049.jpeg

Morning all,

Large cup this morning as it's going to be another long day.....I forgot that the process to reconnect the failed server (which worked fine overnight) blew up all the backups. I have to delete them and recreate them AGAIN! Not like I have anything better to do. Hopefully it will be a quiet one otherwise.

Vacation approved for next week, so I am going to head north to see mom at the assisted living center next week. At least it's a day trip as it's only a couple of hours away at this point and not in the U.P. of Michigan. My sisters moved her closer to where the family is rather than leave her over a thousand miles away. She needs family close now that dad is gone.

Morning all. Goofy weather here in SE Wisconsin. Sunny, partly cloudy, rain, T storms, warm, cold, run the heater and the AC on the same day, yada yada, yada... :rolleyes:

Got the frame for the main building overhang done last night. it gets a mixture of tarpaper, corrugated metal, and junk on it. All board by board construction. There is not a ton of laser cut stuff in this kit. Laser cut pieces are in there, but the laser is used to guide you, not necessarily to make things easier!

Main building overhang 2.JPG

Good Morning Folks. Cloudy and a somewhat warm 64°, 82% humidity though. The relentless wind continues for the 5th day this month. It's been blowing steady at 17 mph the whole time except for a brief reduction to 10 mph around midnight last night. According to the forecast, it will increase in velocity for the next two days before dissipating on Thursday.

Just a couple of sausage and cheese biscuits for me this morning Flo. Skip the gravy but double up on the OJ.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the random layout photos yesterday; Patrick, Karl, Jaz, Hughie, Tom O, Sherrel, Justin, Troy, Rick, Phil, Garry, Ken, Gary.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I began the slow process of planting tall grass and weeds in the vicinity of the grade crossing.
IMG_5928.JPG
IMG_5929.JPG

Much more to come as I prepare another tuft for cutting next.
Meanwhile the other half of the actual crossing is next. This one is more difficult as it's the beginning of a turnout.
IMG_5927.JPG

All of this one will have to be hand-built. I have started with he approach timbers that need to be curved. To save some effort, I will use a leftover straight one from the Blair Line kit. I sawed a small kerf into one side so I could make a bend.
IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

While I didn't take a picture, the test-fit indicates that this is going to work. I filled the gap with Gorilla Glue and bent it into shape. It was then painted and will be ready to go when I get out there today.

Mikey - Late response to this post:
"If you have a child, you'll know that they have two states - asleep and online."
Sadly I have witnessed this in a different sense. One of my daughters made my grandsons, soon to be 12 & 14, wait until they were 12 before getting them their first cell phone. They came to my house once when only the older one had the phone, and the first day he was engaged in games for much of the time. I banned that practice for the next two days that he stayed, and for all future visits. I'm sure that they both still indulge when I go to the train shed, nap or head for the bed at night. Worse yet, my other daughter gave my granddaughter her first phone for her 5th birthday! At least hers is restricted to just 6 phone #'s, two parents, two grandmas, an aunt and 911.
Patrick
She wants a first floor laundry and a walk-in shower and no steps.
Those were on my list 40 years ago when we bought this home. Got two immediately, took 36 years to get the walk-in shower.
Guy - My comment regarding the barn swallows wasn't meant as a correction, just expressing my experiences. Thanks for clarifying before I tempt additional swallows with boxes.
Greg -
As GeeTee pointed out, it's only a felony if you intend to commit another felony. Law enforcement sometimes exaggerates to make a point.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good Morning!
If the winds stay calm, we will be into some very fine weather over the next couple of days. Only 33°F right now, but, it's going to warm right up.
Perhaps if it warms up enough, this goose will be swimming instead of doing the ice dance:
IceWalkGoose_04-05-2021.jpg

Caught a pic of him on the ice yesterday, during my walk.

Probably not a whole lot of interest in prototype turnout switches in here, but, I take photos of the more interesting ones, anyway. I thought this switch looked a bit more elaborate than most I come across:
YardSwitch_04-05-2021 (1).jpg

That switch has a different handle and a rail guard on it. Here's the plate wording on the guard:
YardSwitch_04-05-2021 (2).jpg

Not overly interesting, I know. Photos might have more value come the time when we are all transporting like Spock Capt. Kirk.

Need to go get an affidavit signed by a commissioner of oaths, so I can't hang around. Everyone have a great day though.
Gatcha later!

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. Our 1st rains of Spring have come by. 2 thunder boomers and 30 seconds of a shower and now we have sun. We are about 85 miles west of Espeefan and his Milwaukee area and about 70 west from Greg. Heading into the 70’s again.

The electrians came by yesterday 3 to 8pm and this morning 6-9ish. I have a new circuit breaker box and the boss again plus his solar guy will be out later today. The trip thingy that switches us to the grid from our solar storage cells was scorched. The back up generator for when everything is down also will ge checked out. 2 of the crew have been down at the stables checking the circuits there as they are the same system we had here. Always fun to own your own place.

Back to the exercise program today since yesterday got messed up. Wednesday’s normal exercise free day was replaced by Monday!

Not sure what else today.

TomO

Good Morning - Supposed to be 79 here today with some clouds.
The daughter and 2 G-Sons went back to D. C. Sunday evening. Yesterday I spent the day trying to recover the house as the Spousal Unit walked out to be with her Mom and left me with the disaster mess!
I'm not in a very good mental state right now! Don't get me started about kids and electronics. Those two boys are very much overweight, walk around all day with an iPad in their hand, cannot eat anything except "junk" food., and have the personality of a slug. I finally lost it when daughter said: "Well, I guess you think am just a terrible Mother"! Too which I yelled back at her - YES YOU ARE - Quit trying to be a buddy with your kids and make them behave, come to the table when called, and eat properly at the table without the phones and iPads!
We had just finished talking and making reservations and plans to take them on a road trip in the RV -- and low and behold, I found that the youngest one (age 11) stole two rolls of quarters from my desk and I would not have noticed it if he had not left the wrappers under the bed! I texted that to the daughter and her message back said that she was sorry and would replace the $20.00.
I replied back - It's not the money - it's the fact that he stole it when he should not have.
That kid has zero respect for others property and most likely will be in trouble when he is older. Wife told him several times DO NOT
TAKE ANY FOOD UPSTAIRS, so he would sneak around and do it anyway.
GRRRR!

The very first production model of a U25B ....
1617723822085.png

Not overly interesting, I know. Photos might have more value come the time when we are all transporting like Spock Capt. Kirk.

Guy : noticed something the other day in one of your photos , I couldn't tell what it was, Its a yellow object laying on top of the rails , at first I thought it was a re rail frog , but I noticed another one near a switch point . Any idea ? frog ?wheel stop ?

Sherrel : proper parenting can land you in jail these days. I never ate at the table either ,my father made the same complaint ...util my mother informed him that the dam table was were ever I put my plate down. It wasn't an Ipad , it was 27" RCA color tv . My mother informed him ,that the tv was more interesting than he was , the tv doesn't have a bad day at work and bring home , and its always there when I need it. He just needed to learn to live with it. If he wanted obedience he should get a dog.

Unless you cut him out of your will he's going to inherit the $20 anyway, whats his is his and whats yours is his the rest is a mere technicality.At age 16, my father had to force me to take credit cards . Here here's a Visa....but I don't want it.... You might break down and I don't want to have to come get you...Here here's a gas card ,...but i don't need it ....your mother might break down and you'd have to go get her.

You should feel privileged that he took it from you and not someone else.

In other news, major overhaul underway , decided on a reversal of the helix , and a change in focus from transitional Class I to branch line operations , with Class I interchange .

It solves my upper deck staging yard problem , I dont need one anymore.

Guy : noticed something the other day in one of your photos , I couldn't tell what it was, Its a yellow object laying on top of the rails , at first I thought it was a re rail frog , but I noticed another one near a switch point . Any idea ? frog ?wheel stop ?

I suspect you are talking about a derailer, of which there are various types used locally. Like these:
Derailer_09-26-2020 (2).jpg

Derailer_09-10-2020 (3).jpg

They are placed on the tracks where men will be working, like in front of the trans-loader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back