Passenger cars (streamline) for 18" radius ?

CurlSnout

Henna Gaijin
I am currently limited to running a small layout around the living room floor; 18 inch radius curves are the rule. Can anyone suggest a source for passenger cars that will operate on such track? I'm thinking streamline cars such as were used for Super Chief and/or California Zephyr service. But (at this point) I'm not a strict stickler for absolute prototype fidelity.

The hobby shops I have checked all have cars that want to run on much larger curves.

Who (if anyone) makes smaller cars that might run in my living room and (mostly) look the part?

Thanks in advance,

cs

Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the most of the passenger cars 65 to 72ft will look ok on the 18" rad. The other larger cars will have too much of a over hang the rails on a curve. They just won't look good.

Heres a link to Walther's Athearn makes 70 footers in streamline models. http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?manu=&item=&split=120&category=Passenger&scale=H&instock=Q&showdisc=Y&keywords=&start=600

Some 72 footers by Con Cor http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?manu=&item=&split=120&category=Passenger&scale=H&instock=Q&showdisc=Y&keywords=&start=1680

Some 72's by IHC http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?manu=&item=&split=120&category=Passenger&scale=H&instock=Q&showdisc=Y&keywords=&start=2400

Just do a search for them at Walther's
13.gif
Willis

Check around at some of the other online stores for those that Willis suggested. Many times they will have them when Walthers is out. Ask your LHS to try and find these for you.

I am currently limited to running a small layout around the living room floor; 18 inch radius curves are the rule. Can anyone suggest a source for passenger cars that will operate on such track? I'm thinking streamline cars such as were used for Super Chief and/or California Zephyr service. But (at this point) I'm not a strict stickler for absolute prototype fidelity.

The hobby shops I have checked all have cars that want to run on much larger curves.

Who (if anyone) makes smaller cars that might run in my living room and (mostly) look the part?

Thanks in advance,

cs

I seen these cars at the the Big E train show a few years ago. Their short Sante Fe passenger cars made by Marklin. There extremely high quality cars which I think were $59.00 dollars each. You can view them at this link. Just scroll down the page.

http://www.marklin.com/newprod/american/2002/ho.html

NYC_George

Thanks in advance,

cs

Hey buddy,

I think you are in luck. I run Bachmann Spectrum heavyweights (and the smoothside cars I believe have the same length and 3 axle truck) on a Kato 19.25" radius with no problems at all.

The only problems on this track is clearance--you need lots of side clearance for overhang for passenger cars on a small curve.

Now, 19.25" is quite a bit more than 18" radius (relatively speaking, especially when running long rolling stock) but you might just purchase two Bachmann coaches off of Ebay and give it a try.

This way, you won't spend too much trying it out--the Bachmann spectrum line of coaches are very nice quality for the price ($25-$35ea) , much less than the other brands.

Of course, IHC and Roundhouse/Athearn have those old-style "shorties" that would manage the curve, but unfortunately lots of those designs have the coupler bar tied to the bogie (truck) and therefore are prone to frequent derailments. Walthers cars are OUT-they require 24" or more...

The Bachmann spectrum cars don't have this problem--you will be much better off getting these. Good Luck!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this:

If the Bachmann coaches out of the box derail on the curves, don't give it up right away. Install a longer coupler--a Kadee #29 I believe is a real long version, and very strong. Put those couplers on your coaches and you should make it around the 18" no problem.

Note that I have Athearn "Bombardier" commuter coaches (something like 85 foot scale length) and have run them on 18" curves--but before I could I had to install a long Kadee on the ends....then ...wala! They went around just fine!

Have fun!

Back