My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

Thanks guys, I still need stuff for the scene but at least it looks like something. Need to glue track down and wire it next. I will post more pics when I get some more stuff done.

Thanks
Scott

Thanks Steve,
For the water I used Mod Podge, there are 11 layers on it. It took about a week and a half to do it. You need a day between layers. I put polyurethane on the top to seal it. I had seen this used by Dave Frary and thought I would try it. Mod Podge is only $9.00 at Target, so I gave it a shot. I would have tried resin or something like it but most of that stuff was pretty expensive, at least for me. I am currently on disability and have no job to go back when the Dr. clears me, so I am doing what I can to hopefully make the layout look ok and still eat (haha). Thanks again for the kind words, I have never done this before so you never know how it will turn out. If you are interested in using mod podge for water, make sure you watch the video from Dave Frary, he has some good info on there.

Thanks
Scott

Thanks Tony,
It is coming along, I still have a lot to do but making progress is encouraging. I still need a bunch of trees for this area but I will get those in time. Next is gluing track and wiring and finishing pavement areas. When I make some more progress, I will post some more pics. Thanks for the encouragement.

Scott

Scott, the water looks great! I will have a small stream in my layout as well, so mod podge sounds like a plan - and it looks like it is inside my budget as well!

I like how a layout doesn't have to be 50' by 50' to look good. A small layout is just as fun, and can look just as good. Keep posting, I enjoy following! Especially when the build is moving a normal pace instead of the snail pace I'm at!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks Robert,
Mod Podge is slow but seems to look pretty good. If you decide to do it, make sure to watch the Dave Frary video on how he does it. You can find it on you tube, he has good info in it about the process. Don't worry about the snail pace, you have a job and other things to take care of. Once you get a few things done it changes the way you see the layout. The 50' x 50' sounds great, but the expense involved would be very high. I think you can still have something in a small form and have a great time doing it. I would love to do a bigger layout but I don't know if my skill level could handle it, maybe starting small is the best way. Good luck with the building you are putting together, I saw your post on it. Thanks again for the kind words.

Thanks
Scott

Scott, thanks for the info on the Mod Podge. I'll definitely have to give it a go and add some water to my layout when I get to detailing. I saw it at hobby lobby relatively cheap too, just never knew what it was used for.... Until now!

Thanks again and keep the progress pics coming.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, make sure to watch the Dave Frary video on the mod podge, he has good info on there. I never knew about the stuff untill I saw it on the video.

Thanks
Scott

Hey guys,
I thought I would put up some update pics of the progress on the layout. I ballasted the track and ran feeder wires, so I now have power to the track. Train seems to run pretty good so far. I also put in the parking area by the station, still need to figure some things out in this area as well as parking lines. Paved the area for the buildings in the center area, there will be a das station on the back empty area, I still need to put it together. I put a small office in the back corner and added some small hills and ground cover. The brick building, office and plumbing supply were all used and donated to me from a generous person on this forum. I repainted them and did some wheathering on them also added glass for the windows. I hopefully will put lights in all of the structures, not sure when that will happen. I want to put a grain elevator in the open area where the home made silos are at. I like the conerstone kit from Walthers but can't buy it due to money issues. Hope to have that eventually so I can pave that area. Still need to make trees, I think I found a pretty cheap way to do it, so I will try it out and see what happens. Not much else to add right now, moving slowly but moving ahead.

buildings.jpgbuilding area.jpgparking.jpgoffice.jpg

Very nice job painting and detailing the buildings. Your layout is coming together quiet well. I'm curious to know what everyone uses for the striping because I'm at the same point as you. Keep up the good work!

Hi everyone,
I know you guys like pics, so I thought I would put some up of my very novice HO layout. As you can see the track is just sitting on the wood right now. I hope to have foam board on soon and then the roadbed and so on. I know it is pretty basic but it is all I can really do money wise. I am going with DC power from a very old power supply as you can see, the good thing is that it works and should be ok for awhile I hope. Let me know what you think, please don't be to harsh.

ThanksView attachment 42259View attachment 42260View attachment 42261

Hello there! I think your layout is very good for a starting HO scale railroad layout! I had posted pictures of my own layout, which I feel is fairly close to HO scale. However, some people have told me Power Trains are actually closer to the TT scale than to HO scale. I plan to find this out somehow in the future...Wish me luck!

Thanks guys,
A2TwrOpr, I think I am going to use paint pens from the hobby store or maybe Walmart for the stripping. Spiral storm, it's a pretty basic layout for sure. I don't have much money right now so keeping it very low budget. Thanks for looking guys.

Scott

Hey Scott. All I can say is I love your layout and how well . It looks very well thought out. I just rejoined our local club after a 25 year hiatus, but I'd still love to have layout at home. I put "4x6 layout" in the search and yours was one of the ones that came up. I might borrow a few of your track ideas and the overall size of your project. I live in an apartment so space is limited. I may go with an NCE DCC system though since that's what is used at our club, then as I get locomotives ready they'll be able to be used on both layouts.

Thanks for your project and pictures.

Eric

Thanks Eric for the kind words. The layout is pretty simple but I can run the train around it and switch some cars when needed. I am still working on it, I ran out of money. Make sure you get some pics up when you get yours going. Hey Tony thanks again for the encouragement. I have not been on here for awhile, I have dealing with disability stuff and doctors. I hope to have some more stuff done but money has been real tight.

Thanks
Scott

Back