My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

It is fun watching the progress on your railroad. It adds to the entire website to have a variety of projects getting done.

lasm

Thanks guys for the encouragement, I was a little nervous about starting any scenery but I just went for it. I looked at the road today and it looks pretty good. I sanded some of it to see what it would look like. Overall it's should come out well. Thanks again for all the help. I will probably have some pics of the road soon.

Thanks
Scott

Alright, I sanded my road, not super smooth but left some imperfections in it. I painted it today, I mixed the paint, it came out a little darker than I wanted. I am going to try wheather it a little so it will look better. So I have few pics for you guys.

road 2.jpgroad 3.jpgroad 4.jpgroad 5.jpg

Looks good. Can't wait to see more pictures of your progress.

You sir, are headed in the right direction. You're layout might not be big, but if you keep in the direction you are headed, it won't matter. It looks like it will be very visually appealing and that will keep the interest alive!!! Keep it up!!! Plus, you seem to know how to use the camera to give the illusion of a large area. Railfanning your own layout is great fun. I like to shoot video and watch it on my phone or camera when going to bed at night or waiting in a lobby or something. lol

So yeah...keep it up!!!

Hey ledzep,
Thanks a lot, things are moving along and I am learnig as I go. I notice that it actually is a little more easy than I think it is at times. I thought scenery was going to be very hard but I know realize it is really what I want it to look like. I guess as long as you are having fun doing it and learning at the same time, that what it is about. I am still learning camera stuff, I think the more opportunity I have to take photos of the layout, the better it will be. I will post some more pics when I get some more stuff done. Thanks for the encouragement.

Scott

You are progressing really well Scott, and things are easier than what we some times think once we get the nerve to start them :) Your going great and am really looking forward to seeing the scenery build up and give your layout dimension.

Thanks guys, I did some wheathering on the road today. I think it came out came pretty good. I will post some more pics when more stuff is getting done. I don't want bombard you guys with a lot of pics. Thanks for the good words.

Thanks
Scott

Scott, I think you're off to a fantastic start on your first layout and there's no doubt that you've found the best model railroad site on the internet. We all have to face problems in life, some a lot worse than others but no matter what, there's always someone less fortunate than us. Usually doesn't make it any easier on us, though. Our modeling is one form of refuge that we have to help take our minds off the rest of the world and related problems.

I'm 59 and still don't have a layout. I've had track on a couple of plywood prairies in the past, where the scenery amounted to some green paint, a few buildings and a lot of imagination. I'm working towards a real layout in the near future but there's still the usual obstacles, such as time and money, to contend with. I have been patient and keep plugging away but I still get frustrated at times that all I have is a small oval to test stuff on.

Keep at it, you'll get there! A couple of things to keep in mind: Rome wasn't built in a day and good things come to those who wait! Good luck, Bob.

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the kind words my friend. You are right this forum is great, nothing but very helpfull folks on here, always willing to give you help when you need it. You are right, there is always someone going thru something much worse than we are, I guess I like to have my pitty party every so often. I am doing much better now, the layout is moving along and will be just fine when done. Keep plugging away Bob towards you layout, even if you have to start small like me. Money always will be an issue for sure but remember you don't need the newest or the most high tech stuff. You run DC power and you can have older engines and lesse expensive cars. I know that is my attitude now, almost everything I have has been purcgased used on E bay or given to me. Keep it up Bob, also do me a favor, make sure you put some pics up when you get it going. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Thanks
Scott

Hey Guys,
I have been thinking about trees lately and about the fact that I do not have any. I am thinking about using an old christmas tree but I am waiting for approval from the boss. I know there are alot of ways to make trees, so that got me thinking a little. I have this bush in my front yard and I pass by it everyday. I looked at it and wondered if I could use this for tree making. I clipped a few peaces off and gave it a try. The following pics are what I came up with. Let me know what you think, they might work for background trees or other places. Thanks Scott

DSCN0103.jpgDSCN0104.jpgDSCN0111.jpgDSCN0113.jpg

Scott,

They look good, only thing you might have problems with is keeping them alive being real off cuts. I think there is a thread on preserving real vegetation on here some where. I'm sure someone will let you know how that can be done though.

Scott,

They look good, only thing you might have problems with is keeping them alive being real off cuts. I think there is a thread on preserving real vegetation on here some where. I'm sure someone will let you know how that can be done though.

I'm with Wombat...they do look good though. But they look a little like something else...;)

Hey Guys,
This was really just an experiment of sorts, so far they still look good not dead. I am going to leave them in the foam board for awhile and see what happens. I know they look kind of like trees so maybe I can cluster them together as trees in the background or something. I will see what happens here a few more days. Thanks for the input.

Scott

Hey Guys,
I have this bush in my front yard and I pass by it everyday. I looked at it and wondered if I could use this for tree making. I clipped a few peaces off and gave it a try. The following pics are what I came up with. Let me know what you think, they might work for background trees or other places. Thanks Scott

I have to admit they are very interesting, I have never seen anything like them. Whatever the green stuff is might dry and fall off. I would be tempted to take what is left after they dry, strip the loose stuff off with my hands, spray them with some sticky stuff and dip them in a foliage product. Or, they may make cool dead trees.

I saw an excellent idea I will try, and that is digging up some real tree or shrub roots, drying them, and making trees from that. It looks super impressive and since I have grubbed out a lot of trees in my day, I should have thought of that. The proportions are super.

Great seeing your posts, lasm

Hey gator, let me know how that brocolli turns out. I might try that as well.

lasm, I sprayed these pieces wth hair spray and then put ground cover on them, then I sprayed them again with the hair spray. I checked them again today and they still look ok. I might try a little cutting to shape them a little. I will keep you guys posted on any progress made or not made.

Thanks
Scott

Back