My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

Kevin,

using the stuff you allready have, this is how it could be hooked up so your tracks could be connected.

I hope this helps. Ask as many questions as you like!!!

reply2.JPG

lasm

Looks like a nice inclusion lasm. I am probably going to have a few bits of track left, 15" radius (unfortunately) that Scott can have, along with flex track so he could extend the spur to the left of your diagram.

Hey everyone,
I am actually getting a digital camera today so I do not have to depend on my son and his Iphone. It is not fancy but is free, it is an a 10 year award from the company that I was working for until I went on disability in Dec. I will be putting up some pics as soon as I can figure out the camera. I have changed the layout and have made some progress on it.

Thanks
Scott

This is a great community to be a part of. Tons and tons of advice. Generous members. Very very cool.
As someone mentioned very early on this thread, we all have constraints of one type or another. Not much you can do about square footage, but there are some great home-grown and inexpensive ideas on this forum for everything else. Search for alternative ideas for everything from roadbed to mountains. Most of all, have fun running some trains.

Doug

Alright, I got my new camera and sort of figured it out. I have some new pics of my layout with new design. Hopefully they will show up ok. changed the original idea of having two loops. The one on the inside was going to be freight and and the outside was going to be passenger service. After looking at other small layouts, I decided to change to freight service with some spurs for cars. I will hopefully go with blocks so I can possibly run passenger service while the freight is dropping off cars and such. I have the roadbed down and testing how the train runs before I glue the track down. I know it is not very technical but I hope it will provide me some room for scenery.new 2.jpgnew 3.jpgnew 5.jpgnew 1.jpg

Thanks Scott:cool:

Alright, I got my new camera and sort of figured it out. I have some new pics of my layout with new design. Hopefully they will show up ok. changed the original idea of having two loops. The one on the inside was going to be freight and and the outside was going to be passenger service. After looking at other small layouts, I decided to change to freight service with some spurs for cars. I will hopefully go with blocks so I can possibly run passenger service while the freight is dropping off cars and such. I have the roadbed down and testing how the train runs before I glue the track down. I know it is not very technical but I hope it will provide me some room for scenery.View attachment 42862View attachment 42863View attachment 42860View attachment 42861

Thanks Scott:cool:

Yeah. You should have room for some scenery there. BTW, that Bangor and Aroostook Boxcar is one of my favorites of the old cheap stuff. I have a couple and will hopefully pick up more in the future. :)

Thanks guys,
I need a memory card for the camera, I can only take 5 pics at a time. Started drawing out some road ideas today and a small stream or river. Looking at a pond or small lake as well. I think I am going to go with a rural setting sometime in the 50's or 60's. I know some of my rolling stock may not fit into that period but you got to work with what you have. Still need more buildings but that will come in time. I think I have a general idea of what we are going to do. Should have some pics soon.

Thanks Scott

Hey Scott,

Your layout is looking great, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us!

Don't feel bad about not fully understanding your digital camera. I use my wife's digital camera. I don't understand a fraction of what all it can do and I use to design and build my own private label IBM compatible personal computers back in the 90s. I'm happy I can take some pictures, these cameras are complex!

If I were you, when you go to get your memory card take your camera and its manual with you and let one of the young people in the store help you get the right one.

I am primarily a Lionel O gauge guy, but when it comes to HO I think the older colorful rolling stock is the best! I have plans to build a 4X8 HO layout and I hope mine is at least half as good looking as your is.

If you are having fun with your trains you are doing it right, having fun is all that counts!

Hey thanks Louis,
I am 48yrs old now and never had a digital camera. I think it is awesome, I have been taking pics for practice ans getting to know the camera better. I am sure my son or daughter could help me out if needed. The layout is coming along slowly but is still moving somewhat forward. It is hard to see some of the big layouts and then look at mine. I cant' help but feel like a 5 yr old is putting this thing together sometimes. Thanks for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it. I might have some new pics soon.

Thanks again
Scott

Scott,

It is hard to see some of the big layouts and then look at mine. I cant' help but feel like a 5 yr old is putting this thing together sometimes.

I think we all go through that thought process, at one time or another, it is only natural to want something bigger than what we have at the present when we see what is possible on a larger layout. I think it is safe to say that, with few exceptions, we all started small and, over time, worked our way up to larger layouts.

I guess the point is that no matter the size of the layout, you have a layout that you enjoy and to be proud of, and that is what counts. This really is a matter of "size doesn't matter".

The fact that you feel this way at the moment is a good thing though. It shows you are keen and want something more and that will happen as long as your interest remains. My first layout was a little less than a 7' X 4', stuck away in a corner. It had one main line with a very short passing line and that was it. Now I have something a little larger and a little more interesting to work with, but that took a couple of years to get around to.

What ever you do, don't feel as though your layout is not as important or as fancy or as complicated as some others. Remember, this is your first layout and some of these guys have been at it for 20 or 30 years and you are putting in as much effort, time and dedication to yours as they/we have to ours.

Anyway, I don't know if I have made you feel better about your layout or not, all I can really tell you is that your layout will increase in size in time and as you learn and as you can afford to increase it's size. Don't look at what you have now, consider where you can take it in the future :)

Well said Tony. I think it's coming along nicely. We all have different things to deal with when it comes to our layouts. Time, money, space, etc. If you do the best with what you have and enjoy it nothing else really matters . Like Tony said, you can always expand as those other factors allow. It would be worse to undertake a huge layout and realize after much expense of all those things that the whole thing was a series of mistakes made because of lack of experience. In other words don't bite off more than you can chew. You are off to a great start.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the kind words. I have been feeling like a looser lately, not so much with the layout I guess but with my general situation in life right now. Not tying to get to deep here but after working for most of your life and being in good health for the majority of it, then you you have health issues that have taken your job away and the only source of income in our house. I am not trying to sound like a baby or anything, I guess the whole job and health deal has been a little hard on me and that feeling has moved it's way into other parts of my life, which includes the layout. I am sure it will turnout fine and I will be happy with it. I really appreciate the help from this forum, I don't have any friends that are into model trains, so this is the only place that understands the hobby. Sorry guys, I don't want to ramble on about my issues here, I know we are suppose to talk about trains here. I hope to have some new pics up soon. Thanks again for the good words.

Scott

Ok Guys
I have some new pics from today. I place ground cover on my hills next the bridge area and started putting my roads in today. Let me know what you think. I will still have to sand down the roads when it all dries but should come out ok.
Thanks
Scottscenery 1.jpgscenery 2.jpgscenery 3.jpgscenery 4.jpg

Scott,

Looking very good! I really like your embankment cover ... very nice. Depending on what type f road you are putting in, I wouldn't be overly fussy with the sanding. Leaving a little "rough" stuff on it will give it a more realistic appearance if you intend to weather it.

Thanks Tony, that is first try at it so I did not know what to expect. I think overall it came out ok, I watched a lot of videos on it over these last few months. Your right about the road, I am going to sand it a little and see what it looks like. I don't want it to look new, so some inperfections would be good. I was going to do more pavement work but ran out of painters tape. I will pick some more up and finish some parking areas and industry stuff. I know that I am going to need to glue down the track soon and wire it up. I noticed you are doing the same thing right now, I guess you just have to jump in and go for it. I will post more pics as we go along.

Thanks
Scott

Hey Scott!

Concerning other layouts, I think Tony and Mike's advice was perfect.

Your layout is progressing nicely and your camera skills are more then adequate.

Your work looks like the work of an experienced model railroader. The study, preparation and your skills are paying off.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us posted.

Back