My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

FM C liner

Hi everyone,
I know you guys like pics, so I thought I would put some up of my very novice HO layout. As you can see the track is just sitting on the wood right now. I hope to have foam board on soon and then the roadbed and so on. I know it is pretty basic but it is all I can really do money wise. I am going with DC power from a very old power supply as you can see, the good thing is that it works and should be ok for awhile I hope. Let me know what you think, please don't be to harsh.

Thanks image(10).jpgimage(9).jpgimage(8).jpg

Attachments

• image(7).jpg
    image(7).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 370
That is a very nice layout. We are all restricted on what we can do (financially) and make the best with what we have have. You have done very well in my opinion. Need less to say, adding scenery will enhance the layout even more as you are able to add it. Looking forward to you progress.

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words, I will be getting foam board soon and laying out the roadbed. Hopefully it will turn out good.

Looks like a passenger train around the outside and freight operations in the inside. More creative than what I started with a couple years ago.

Quoting Benjamin Franklin, accepted to be one of the wisest men in America, "Take what you have and make the best of it", which you have done with flying colors.

lasm

I'm always interested in what can be done in a small amount of space. It looks like you've done a good job.

One thing I'd advise is that you connect the inner and outer loops. You'll increase your flexibility of what you can do. If you're concerned about how to run two engines at the same time, there are basic wiring books that can be easily located (or maybe an internet tutorial) that can point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot, I was going to join the inner and outer but ran out of money for turnouts. I know that might sound a little pathetic but I am currently on disability and not working. I hope to make it better by adding nice scenery. I am thankful for the kind words.

Thanks, I am going to run passenger on outside and freight on inner. I hope to improve the basic design by adding nice scenery of some kind. I hopefully will have more pics once the foamboard is down and the roadbed.

I know you guys like pics, so I thought I would put some up of my very novice HO layout.
Nicely done! You are running trains, which is what it is all about. For me, it's more fun to see a layout like yours than to read about a dream layout that may never be built. You have actually made it happen.

- Jeff

I don't have a loco, track, or a power pack. All of my stuff is still missing and I am beginning to think it may never be found. All I have are some vehicles, freight cars, and some old Gloor Craft structure kits. So you are way ahead of me.

I have some track and some old trains and cars my wife picked up at a yard sale. It is HO and I am N scale so it isn't doing me any good. I will look this weekend and see what I have. No promises, because the stuff is kind of old and beat up. But I will let you know if I find any turnouts or anything useful in there. If there is I will send it to ya.

Regarding the foam... if you have a Menard's near you look and see if they have a rack with damaged foam on it. They practically give those sheets away. I bought 2 very slightly dented 4' X 8' sheets of 2" pink foam for $10. You're going to cut it into pieces anyway so who cares right? :D

Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the info on the foam, I know 1" 4 x 8 is around $10.50 at home depot. Also thanks for looking around for stuff, I really appreciate it. Even if you can't find it, I appreciate it any way.

Thanks again
Scott

It runs well, a little louder than the other AHM I have but the two that I have run well. Thanks for checking it out.

Scott

Hey Scott. I managed to go through that cooler full of train stuff. It's all pretty old. I think the track is all Atlas. There are a lot of snap curves and a few straight pieces. There were two turnouts in there, but both are pretty useless I think. There is a crossing you might be able to use. There are a few box cars, most missing the little parts. There are a couple engines, I doubt they run. Like I said, my wife bought this from a yard sale. She bought it for the cooler to be honest. The trains were just given to her as a bonus. I really don't know if you could use any of it. But here are a couple pics...

20140304_193516_zpsrujkmmmf.jpg

20140304_193526_zpsxgzrvfyt.jpg

Let me know.

Just send me your address. I will get it sent when I get time to get to the post office.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Scott, You have truely inspired me. I have a space you'd die for 17x13 tile floor, paintable walls (I own it outright) only sliding glass and two doors on one end to worry about. I've been trying to get the room ready for 45 days so I can begin the paint. I'd planned a 6x3 foot "timesaver" town/industry sight first, to get familiar and try new things. You've got a railroad running in almost the same space! Congratulations.

I have lots of brass snap track, some nickle silver and a couple of turnouts I'm not going to use, yours if you want them. Tell me what you need (PM is fine) and where to send it.

Scott,

Once I have completed my layout, your welcome to anything I have left for scenery as well. Should have mine finished in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers mate

I agree. This is awesome! I'd throw in some, but gave all my extra stuff to my wife's nephew last summer.

Great going guys!

Back