My beginner HO layout, 4 x 6 in my garage

Scott your layout is coming along nicely. One thing about a layout is it will wait for you. No money to build? Then run trains. Take your time, when it's done you'll be looking for more space to build more.

Hey Scott,

Your work is really looking good!

How about a picture of the control panel? I love that stuff!!!

Is that the MRC rail sounds system or what ever its called?

Hi Bruette,
Yes it is, my brother in law picked it up for me at a thrift shop. Works good even though it is not high tech. Sorry I did not reply sooner, I have been dealing with stuff lately. Thanks for looking

Scott

Hey Scott,

Thank you I have been thinking about that system, it seems to be a perfect way to add sounds for old locomotives with no room for sounds. How loud is it? I don't hear very well, I need it loud, but I suppose with a system like that an amplifier would be easy to add. You have a great brother in-law!

I hope your "stuff" is not too serious and don't worry about how long you take to reply. The beauty of a forum vs. a chat room is the conversation can last in defiantly. I was AWOL for about 2 months over the summer.

Hey Louis,
The system works pretty good, you have sound for steam or deisel. We used some powered computer speakers for the sound. The speakers have a volume control so you can make it as loud as you want. You control the sounds by pushing the button on the contol. I guess it is better than no sound at all and it was cheap.

I have been out of work since December due to health issues. I have been dealing with them for years and thought I could just work thru it, well they finally caught up with me and can no longer perform my job duties safely. I have been on state disability since December but that will be ending soon so I have applied for social security disability. My wife said that I needed a hobby so I thought model trains would be the way to go. Ran out of funds to keep going so I had to stop for a bit, at least I can run it around when I feel like it. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Scott your story mirrors my own. The only difference is I was self employed for more then the last 10 years of my career and I foolishly did not pay Social Security tax on myself so no Social Security for me. I manage because I have always been a bit of a squirrel and stashing nuts has financed my hobby and with the support of my beautiful little wife

Your great wife was wise to advise you to get a hobby and I believe you found the worlds greatest hobby! I've been unable to work for more then 10 years now and it took some adjustment, but now with my trains I am happier then ever and healthier then I have been in years.

I mostly play with my Lionel trains and some of my old ones don't have sound. I also have reacquired and restored HO locomotives I had in my youth and others, they don't have sound either. That sound systems is perfect for me and I will look to pick one up ASAP!

I have had my bench work done for nearly 2 years and I still have no permanent plan or scenery. Call me a goof ball, but I like to watch my trains go round and round. I tinker with old ones, read books and magazines about toy trains and spend time on the forum when I am not up to doing anything else. I even find myself here when I do feel good enough to do something else! There is so much to learn from the experts on here its better then any magazine subscription.

I have read several of the books in the library about toy trains. There are many ways to enjoy this hobby with out spending money. Bottom line the best things in life are really free or nearly free.

No need to thank me for replying. it is my pleasure to correspond with you on this forum. I have to thank you for the review of the sound system!

Scott your story mirrors my own. The only difference is I was self employed for more then the last 10 years of my career and I foolishly did not pay Social Security tax on myself so no Social Security for me. I manage because I have always been a bit of a squirrel and stashing nuts has financed my hobby and with the support of my beautiful little wife

Your great wife was wise to advise you to get a hobby and I believe you found the worlds greatest hobby! I've been unable to work for more then 10 years now and it took some adjustment, but now with my trains I am happier then ever and healthier then I have been in years.

I mostly play with my Lionel trains and some of my old ones don't have sound. I also have reacquired and restored HO locomotives I had in my youth and others, they don't have sound either. That sound systems is perfect for me and I will look to pick one up ASAP!

I have had my bench work done for nearly 2 years and I still have no permanent plan or scenery. Call me a goof ball, but I like to watch my trains go round and round. I tinker with old ones, read books and magazines about toy trains and spend time on the forum when I am not up to doing anything else. I even find myself here when I do feel good enough to do something else! There is so much to learn from the experts on here its better then any magazine subscription.

I have read several of the books in the library about toy trains. There are many ways to enjoy this hobby with out spending money. Bottom line the best things in life are really free or nearly free.

No need to thank me for replying. it is my pleasure to correspond with you on this forum. I have to thank you for the review of the sound system!

Wow I had a similar experience in 2007. I had retired from the carpenters union in 2006 and went back to work for my boss as a superintendant.I went to work as usual on April 5 2007 had some what I thought was heart burn 2 days before anyway I get to work and the heartburn starts agai only this time all the rest of the syntoms came with the heartburn pressure in the chest pain down the arm,I got back in the car drove home waited for the doctor to get in his office called and went right in turns out I had 2 heart attacks they rushed me to the hospital had 2 stents put in that day and 1 more 2 days later was home in 8 days.I had 3 more stents put in since.I was lucky I had my pension I applied for social security disability and received my first check plus retroactive in 8 months.I guess I lucky in more ways then one.

Louis,
You are welcome for the info on the sound system. Thanks for telling me about your situation as well, you never realize how many other folks have simular situations. It always helps to know you are not alone with struggles in life, this hobby has helped me a lot over this time period. I also just let the train run around when I am out in the garage, I like just listening to it, even though it is just going in a circle. I need to get some metal wheels for the rolling stock, I only have them on one car right now. I love the sound these wheels make as the train is running, I am not sure what size wheels the cars use, they are mostly older life like brand cars. I'll figure it out and get some when my situation settles down a little.

Johne230,
Thanks for sharring your situation, I hope everything is going well. Health issues are a funny thing, we think that we will just work and someday hopefully retire. You never think that health will be an issue. I hope you are doing well now and are in good spirits. My application for social security disability is now in the medical evaluation fase, the doctor recieved my medical history on last Friday. They said I should have an answer in about 3 weeks.

Thanks guys
Scott

Louis,
You are welcome for the info on the sound system. Thanks for telling me about your situation as well, you never realize how many other folks have simular situations. It always helps to know you are not alone with struggles in life, this hobby has helped me a lot over this time period. I also just let the train run around when I am out in the garage, I like just listening to it, even though it is just going in a circle. I need to get some metal wheels for the rolling stock, I only have them on one car right now. I love the sound these wheels make as the train is running, I am not sure what size wheels the cars use, they are mostly older life like brand cars. I'll figure it out and get some when my situation settles down a little.

Johne230,
Thanks for sharring your situation, I hope everything is going well. Health issues are a funny thing, we think that we will just work and someday hopefully retire. You never think that health will be an issue. I hope you are doing well now and are in good spirits. My application for social security disability is now in the medical evaluation fase, the doctor recieved my medical history on last Friday. They said I should have an answer in about 3 weeks.

Thanks guys
Scott

I am doing well thanks hope you are as well I will say one thing it is a life changing experience I was a moderate drinker Iam italian so the food I love I cant have the way I used to,But I came out with a positive attitude determined not to turn into an old man over night. I goto the gym 3 times a week and walk 2 miles every day.I also lost 40 lbs. which made a big differance in the way I feel.Did you see the SS doctor yet thats an experience in it self. I hope all turns out well for you.

Johne230,
I have not seen the SS doctor yet, he has my medical history from my doctors now. I am sure the experience will be fantastic with the SS Dr. I have heard some stories from other people about it. Hopefully it will ba ok.

Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott,

Just catching up on your thread and will chime in with some words of support.

We had major problems starting in 2008 and then I got sick and things went downhill for about 3 years straight. To get my mind off problems I would think about what to do with the model train and imagine scenery and buildings,

and now 6 years later my health way better and I got the new layout and a job with really good health insurance. Thank God.

I really enjoy looking at the new layouts so appreciate it when you post your photos.

lasm

Thanks lasm for the encouragement. I know the layout really helped me with keeping my mind off stuff and I felt good about some of the things on the layout. I hope to have some new photos up some day, I have not been able to do much on it for awhile. I want to put in a nice grain elevator but they are pretty expensive to purchase. I will get one some day at least I can run the train around when I want to.

Thanks
Scott

Louis,
This forum has been great, I have recieved awesome info on here and everyone is very nice and supportive.

Thanks
Scott

Scott if you need advice on how to stretch your budget check look at LASM's you tube channel. I am not sure if he has a video about it, but he can make cereal boxes look like high dollar buildings. If you need specific advice send him a PM and he will help you. The man knows how to run a railroad and he is a great guy.

Sorry LASM if I am embarrassing you, (he is modest), but the truth is the truth :)

Hey Louis,
I checked out lasms videos on scratch building with cereal boxes. I got some good ideas from that, I saved some boxes a while back, maybe I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Scott

Ok guys,
I have not done any layout updates for awhile, because I have not done anything. I had some telephone poles that came with my sons old life like set, so I decided to paint them and put them out on the layout. It is amazing what a difference these make. I know its not much but I took some pics.

new1.jpgnew2.jpgnew3.jpgnew4.jpg

Thanks
Scott

Back