MTH SD70ACe BNSF 9370

Sergent engineering.com
It's four couplers per pack, I highly recommend one to follow the break in instructions for the couplers to function correctly, all one needs is a pencil for the break in.

I have a stupid question. If you replace the couplers with those great looking Sergent couplers, will they still work as remote couplers?

I just bought a CSX on e-bay and I was just wondering for future reference.

By the way , Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

I like those railings. The DCC compatibility is the only thing I have an issue with. Lets see if their upgrade next year fixes the issues. It would definitely be worth it if they did.

The Sergents won't work remotely, it's a manual coupler and requires a stick magnet that Sergent sells.
I have a stupid question. If you replace the couplers with those great looking Sergent couplers, will they still work as remote couplers?

I just bought a CSX on e-bay and I was just wondering for future reference.

By the way , Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

Thank you Santa!

I received my second MTH SD70ACe BNSF (#9371) locomotive yesterday. If having one was good having two is GREAT!
To answer a previous question, I am unable to "consist" these two locomotive together, or with any other locomotive on my roster. I have contacted MTH's technical service via email; I will post what they say. Normally I would have been upset at this, but I am so happy with the locomotives, I willing to overlook this temporary inconvenience.
I had been THINKING of upgrading my wired MRC Prodigy Advance2 system, long before this minor problem surfaced. The way I look at it now, if their locomotives are this GOOD, their DCS operating system must be equally good. One example of good - last night with four trains on both Mainlines, the Athearn F45 set on 7 scale MPH, stalled on one of the layouts grades. Both MTH locomotives, pulling longer and more cars made the same grade at 1 scale MPH. For me, these new locomotives are so superior, I'm willing to upgrade to their new wireless system; something I didn't think I would ever give into. The F45's inability to climb that hill actually helped me out, I consisted my original 1980 Atlas RS11 with the F45 and now have one less locomotive doing nothing; something I hate, the main reason I'm adding a 3rd Mainline to my layout.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! This season is the ideal season to own a model railroad!
Any "DC'ers" out there who would like to try out DCC, send me a private message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you get the Command 2000 as an "upgrade" to the Prodigy Advance? If so, I don't get it. This is a really old system with some significant limitations (like only being able to use two digit addresses) and changing normal CV values using slide switches rather than entering a specific value. Why did you buy this if you want a wireless system, since the 2000 is not, and never will be wireless? Is this what you have and now you want to get DCS? Your post is really confusing, but DCS is a really a big mistake in terms of using DCC.

As has been statged in other posts, you MTH engines will not consist with a standard DCC system because MTH deliberately crippled the normal ability of its decoders to respond to standardized DCC commands. They are supposedly going to offer an "upgrade" at some time in the future to allow things like consisting because so many purchasers are upset about the lack of such basic features. I know you like your engines, and that's fine, but MTH is doing all they can to wreck what has become the standard DCC system in use for at least 15 years. If you go their DCS system, you will be completely at their mercy, using only what they provide you, and having no access to all the free software that makes running DCC a lot easier. Your choice, but I won't support a company like this, even if they come out with engines that will shine my shoes for me. :)

To Each His Own

Did you get the Command 2000 as an "upgrade" to the Prodigy Advance? :)
In my post I ask if any DC'ers were interested in DCC. The Command 2000 is twelve years old and for sale for $50 dollars plus postage; if necessary.
To upgrade from DC to DCC can be expensive. $50 for a older DCC system that was used very little and is in perfect condition, MIGHT seem interesting to someone with a plain DC layout.
I knew what I was getting into BEFORE I purchased these MTH locomotives. I am so impressed in there abilities over EVERYTHING else I own, I'm willing to be slightly taken advantage of, if that is the case, by MTH. I've checked out their DCS system, I feel it will be superior in every regard to my Prodigy Advance2 system, so at this stage of life I decided to go for it.
If their DCS system turns out like I believe it will, based on the superiority of their locomotives, I will be a happy camper and sell my fairly new Prodigy Advance@ system for $100.
With the addition of the 3rd Mainline to my layout, combined with these MTH products, I should be DCC content for years to come.
As a side note, in July we are planning a RV trip to the Railroad Museum in Lancaster, PA. If anyone has been there and can tell me something about the area, it would be appreciated.

Point taken AND understood

You might want to look into how/if your non MTH locos would operate on a DCS system....
Thank you, that is something I have thought about. I'm selling the first system I purchased, but I'm holding on to the Prodigy Advance2.
If you look at the attached photo, until the superiority of the new MTH locomotive appeared, I had the Command 2000 AND the Prodigy Advance2 system wired into my control panel.
Until I sure the MCS system will work everything, I will now have it and the Prodigy wired into the system. The way I have it set up, all I have to do is throw a toggle switch to change systems.
If what others say about MTH is true, it is understandable that a company may want to induce people to buy their operating system, but if you think about it logically, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if their operating system didn't include everything else! I am fairly confident the DSC system will be superior to the Advance2 system AND operate everything on my roster; time will tell, I'm planning on purchasing the DSC system next month.

Please be aware that you cannot run non-DCS equipped locos on a DCS system. So if you want the DCS system, you might as well sell all of your non MTH locos too, as they will not run on DCS, because you can't buy DCS recievers and equip your other locos with them. MTH doesn't sell them separately. So with the DCS, you're completely limited to what locos MTH sells. DCS, being a totally proprietary system, is subject to the whims of the company. What happens if the company goes under? What happens if there is a setback at the company, more likely, and they decide to no longer support the HO version? Either way, you'd be stuck with a dead system, and no support.

Please be aware that you cannot run non-DCS equipped locos on a DCS system. So if you want the DCS system, you might as well sell all of your non MTH locos too, as they will not run on DCS, because you can't buy DCS recievers and equip your other locos with them. MTH doesn't sell them separately. So with the DCS, you're completely limited to what locos MTH sells. DCS, being a totally proprietary system, is subject to the whims of the company. What happens if the company goes under? What happens if there is a setback at the company, more likely, and they decide to no longer support the HO version? Either way, you'd be stuck with a dead system, and no support.

Sort of what I thought. The Lionel folks are always complaining about DCS because the MTH O stuff does not work & play well with Lionel's (or anyone elses) system.

One possible issue I see is that BNTorsney has had only the MRC systems, and they tend to be not as full featured as those of NCE/Digitrax/Lenz, so the wow factor is understandable. If you want to chuck everything else and run only MTH, buy the DCS system and have a blast. If you ever find anything else from another manufacturer that you like, you'll be stuck though. I'd wait for this "upgrade" (I consider it more of a "patch") that will supposedly make the MTH stuff work better on DCC, but that's me. I'd also advise going to the LHS and checking out the NCE Powercab and Zigitrax Zephyr and comparing those with the MRC system. MRC went for an easy user interface and IMNSHO sacrificed some of what DCC is supposed to be about to get it. There are those who like it though, and that's fine. It just doesn't do everything I expect in a system.

As a side note, in July we are planning a RV trip to the Railroad Museum in Lancaster, PA. If anyone has been there and can tell me something about the area, it would be appreciated.
You're talking about the Strasburg railroad.
http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/
You'll have an excellent time. The railroad and museum have grown significantly over the years. It's in the heart of Amish country and is basically farmland. There are 2 hobby shops, 1 on site and 1 about a half mile away. There is also a Caboose motel where your room is a caboose. I believe that the toy train museum is also down the road.

July is very hot there but the buildings are air conditioned. I usually go in the spring and fall when the temps are better but any time of year is good.

Thanks for the info

...............July is very hot there but the buildings are air conditioned. I usually go in the spring and fall when the temps are better but any time of year is good.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the information. We live in Florida where it's hot, we have been escaping the SUMMER humidity for the last ten years in our RV, in Pahrump, NV. When your originally from up North, heat is much better than COLD any day!

More Information Please

Sort of what I thought. The Lionel folks are always complaining about DCS because the MTH O stuff does not work & play well with Lionel's (or anyone elses) system.

One possible issue I see is that BNTorsney has had only the MRC systems, and they tend to be not as full featured as those of NCE/Digitrax/Lenz, so the wow factor is understandable. If you want to chuck everything else and run only MTH, buy the DCS system and have a blast. If you ever find anything else from another manufacturer that you like, you'll be stuck though. I'd wait for this "upgrade" (I consider it more of a "patch") that will supposedly make the MTH stuff work better on DCC, but that's me. I'd also advise going to the LHS and checking out the NCE Powercab and Zigitrax Zephyr and comparing those with the MRC system. MRC went for an easy user interface and IMNSHO sacrificed some of what DCC is supposed to be about to get it. There are those who like it though, and that's fine. It just doesn't do everything I expect in a system.
Your assuming I know what "LHS" stands for? When I Googled it, mostly High Schools came up?

Info gathering stage

I appreciate all replies and information. I also have read that these MTH locomotives couldn't have there addresses changed, I found that not to be the case. I should hear back from MTH before I purchase the DCS unit. According to their ads running other DCC equipment isn't a problem.
Is there any body out the WITH this DCS system that can add anything?

Back