MTH SD70ACe BNSF 9370

Please be aware that you cannot run non-DCS equipped locos on a DCS system. So if you want the DCS system, you might as well sell all of your non MTH locos too, as they will not run on DCS, because you can't buy DCS recievers and equip your other locos with them. MTH doesn't sell them separately. So with the DCS, you're completely limited to what locos MTH sells. DCS, being a totally proprietary system, is subject to the whims of the company. What happens if the company goes under? What happens if there is a setback at the company, more likely, and they decide to no longer support the HO version? Either way, you'd be stuck with a dead system, and no support.
Did you ever own a MTH DCS system?

Did you ever own a MTH DCS system?

No. But I can read. It sounds like you need to. If you are just reading what MTH says about their system, you may be in for quite a shock. So I would suggest starting right here on our own forum:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12919

and here:

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/164730.aspx

This one discussion is particularly telling on the limitations associated with DCS.

If you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of DCS there's always the O gauge forums from O Gauger Magazine, but I'm not sure if the DCS for HO requires the same extra equipment, the AIU's and TIU's that O does.

The last PDF listed by hamltnblue is a must read as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Informative BUT

Thank you, I read the article but a big part of it pertains to DCC systems that only support 12 numbers; my MRC Prodigy Advance2 supports 28. I can access ALL the functions offered by this MTH locomotive on my Prodigy except the "consist" command. The thing I like about MTH's DCS is that it makes accessing the 28 function codes alot easier. I have contacted MTH about the consist problem and am awaiting a reply.

Answered My Own Questions

Now that the holiday is over, I have finally had time to read ALL the literature that came with my two new MTH locomotives.
After reading it, I now understand the their new DCS system is not for me at this time. I also found out the email to MTH was a waist of time, if I want to consist with one of their locomotives I need their DCS and thats it; this consist feature with other DCC locomotives is not possible.
With all that I have learned, any future new locomotives will be made by MTH, they make a far superior product for about the same money. In addition, I will be happy with their locomotive's somewhat limited DCC usefulness; it does basically everything I want it to do but consist. Since the ONLY units on my roster that NEED this added power are not made by MTH, I've gotten basically everything I wanted in these two new locomotives and will be happy with my Prodigy DCC system.

If you call the MTH tech support number, they will answer and help you right then and there. I know it's the holidays now, but during regular hours I have called them several times and they walked me through my troubles right over the phone.

I use DCS for O scale (3 rail) and I perosnally love it. Yes it was a bit of a PIA at first, learning the tricks and techniques (no different than any other NEW system), but once i got it up and running.....I swear by it now. No it's not compatible with other systems, but I run 2 different systems on the same track without any troubles. ;)

You guys also have to keep in mind that in todays day and age of corporate america, these companies are not going to make their stuff compatible with their competitors. They want you to buy everything you need from them. Yes it sucks for us, but it's no different than Windows vs Mac. Sony batteries don't fit in a Canon camera. Most vehicles burn unleaded gas, but Honda parts don't fit on a Toyota. I can go on and on, but what I'm trying to say is...don't knock a system because you don't use or like it. I persoanlly would never buy a MAC, but that's only because I am familiar with Windows and don't want to start over with the learning process.

Now that the holiday is over, I have finally had time to read ALL the literature that came with my two new MTH locomotives.
After reading it, I now understand the their new DCS system is not for me at this time. I also found out the email to MTH was a waist of time, if I want to consist with one of their locomotives I need their DCS and thats it; this consist feature with other DCC locomotives is not possible.
With all that I have learned, any future new locomotives will be made by MTH, they make a far superior product for about the same money. In addition, I will be happy with their locomotive's somewhat limited DCC usefulness; it does basically everything I want it to do but consist. Since the ONLY units on my roster that NEED this added power are not made by MTH, I've gotten basically everything I wanted in these two new locomotives and will be happy with my Prodigy DCC system.

You can consist them with each other, and if you want to run them say one facing forward & one facing reverse, you can program them both to the same address then change cv 29 so the direction of travel one one of them is reversed. There is usually some sort of workaround. The gentlemen who wrote one of the articles referenced bought a DCS system just so he could program his MTH stuff. If you have the pocket depth to do this, that's great. I bought my NCE Powercab originally because at the time, it was easier to program on than my Digitrax system. (IMHO:D:D)

I think a bunch of folks were just worried you might lay out a bunch of cash, then find out you still didn't have "all the marbles" :eek:

I guess what upsets many in the hobby is that after spending that much cash, you still have to come up with a work around. Maybe their update will close the gap. wonder what that will cost. QSI did their sound decoder upgrade for $29.95 (I think)

In any case it's great they you're so happy with them. Nothing beats a satisfied customer, and it's great to have choices.

Athearn's model of this loco is in the pipe, and will have Soundtraxx installed. That's the shootout I'm waiting to see!

Solved Consist Problem by READING

You can consist them with each other, and if you want to run them say one facing forward & one facing reverse, you can program them both to the same address then change cv 29 so the direction of travel one one of them is reversed. There is usually some sort of workaround.......
After I read the literature from MTH, I decided to FULLY read the information from MRC on their Prodigy Advance2. Low and behold, there are TWO ways to consist locomotives with this DCC system. The "Old" consist was just what the doctor ordered for the MTH locomotives. The "New" type of consist stores information in the locomotive's decoder. The "Old" type stores the information in the DCC "base" unit; you are allowed ONE "Old" type consist PER base unit. All of my older loco roster can be consisted the new way and I'll save the ONE "Old" type consist for anything that has a MTH in the mix - Problem Solved!
I finally got thought to MTH, they told me just to give the locomotives I wanted to consist the same address; MRC's version is much better. I also found in my MTH literature that they only permit loco address changes on the MAIN track, no program track changes.

Let me throw in my 2 cents worth.I just received my MTH sd70ace CSX and I tried it out tonight. WOW is all I can say. If you read my post about " Central Midland Modified test run" you might have seen where I was getting ready to tear some of it apart to soften the grades.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15152
After trying this engine I am not tearing it apart. I am leaving it just the way it is.

The MTH Sd70ace can pull a house over. This thing has great detail and great power. It will pull some long trains with no problem. My other MTH k-4 is pretty darn strong too. Now my BLI's ( Hudsons) pull ok but nothing like the MTH. I love my BLI's ( Have 3 steam, 3 diesels) but they lack a lot of pulling power. I don't mind because they will be dedicated to pulling smaller loads. I plan to by more MTH. The remote couplers work pretty good too.

Goes to show you get what you pay for and If I have to wait longer and save up, I will.

I'm looking into buying another MTH SD70ACe as well, and i'm waiting to see what Athearn's SD70ACe production will look like.

Exactly my thoughts

Let me throw in my 2 cents worth.I just received my MTH sd70ace CSX and I tried it out tonight. WOW is all I can say............................Goes to show you get what you pay for and If I have to wait longer and save up, I will.
It is hard to fathom WHY other companies don't make products this GOOD?
Could it be GREED; I bet my bottom dollar it is!!
After owning these two MTH products, I feel as though I have be ripped off for what I paid for the Katos, Athearns and the like. My layout WAS going to be strictly freight until I viewed MTS's 2010 catalog; I'm going to pre-order the Alco PA and eighth passanger cars.
Eventually after I get enough MTH products on my layout, I will upgrade to their DCS operating system. I'm very confident that their operating system will be FAR superior to anything on the market today; after just reading about it I can see it will be much easier and more convenient to use.

After owning these two MTH products, I feel as though I have be ripped off for what I paid for the Katos, Athearns and the like.

Boy I could not agree more.That is how I feel. I am going to buy the Commander and hook it to my Digitrax system.Guess the way I will approach this is that there will be days it will be all MTH and then there will be days it will be DCC loco's. I think I am going to stick to buying the MTH for a while. You get almost brass quality for not the brass price.

One thing you can really notice is , pick up an MTH and then pick up a BLI , Athearn or what ever. The MTH has a Hell of a lot more weight. The only brand I feel that comes close to them is Athearn.

Sounds like I have been sold, you might be right.

Today I picked one up at an LHS in Delaware. I guess I can't knock them until I try one. I'll start another thread in the next few days and compare it to the closest 3 engines I have, 1.Athearn Genesis SD60i W/Sound, upgraded to the new soundtraxx drop in board. 2. BLI Blueline AC6000 with DCC decoder.
3. BLI paragon AC6000. Lately My favorite engines have been the Atlas Gold Series, of which I have 6. They are all 4 axle loco's so I don't feel they are close enough to compare.
Right off the bat though the 4th post of this thread appears to be incorrect. The railings definitely feel like plastic, not metal. They do look good though.

Two bad axles on one truck

Today I picked one up at an LHS in Delaware. I guess I can't knock them until I try one. I'll start another thread in the next few days and compare it to the closest 3 engines I have, 1.Athearn Genesis SD60i W/Sound, upgraded to the new soundtraxx drop in board. 2. BLI Blueline AC6000 with DCC decoder.
3. BLI paragon AC6000. Lately My favorite engines have been the Atlas Gold Series, of which I have 6. They are all 4 axle loco's so I don't feel they are close enough to compare.
Right off the bat though the 4th post of this thread appears to be incorrect. The railings definitely feel like plastic, not metal. They do look good though.
Nothing is perfect. The second SD70ACe, BNSF #9371, kept derailing at a left number 4 turnout. My walk-around DCC controller wire wasn't long enough to give me a close look at what the problem might be.
Today I purchased a much longer Ethernet cable, it allowed me close inspection of the derailment area. The first axle of the front truck passed the turn-out frog normally, it was the second and third axles that appeared to ride up on the frog's edge, causing the derailments. When I checked the axles with my MNRA gauge, I found both axles were too narrow.
I contacted MTH, they explained how to replace the two new axles they would be sending me under warranty. This very minor problem in no way diminishes my happiness with this company or their products.
My first sound locomotive is an Athearn Genesis F45. It had to be returned TWICE to the California company for defective MRC sound decoders; ever wonder why Athearn changed suppliers? MTH 1, Athearn 0!
Good Luck with your new purchase, I'm confident your going to love it.

A Picture is worth a Thousand Words!

Nothing is perfect. The second SD70ACe, BNSF #9371, kept derailing at a left number 4 turnout.................................
I just emailed the previous post's photo to MTH parts. God Bless digital cameras and the "Macro" setting for close-ups!

Do these miracle machines by chance have traction tires? Inquiring minds want to know! MTH is putting these on their steam models, so I'm curious about the diesels.

Back